• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

Thanks for all of the praise everyone, this OT was one I felt so nervous about since everything David Lynch and Twin Peaks are both 10/10, top 5 things of all time for me. I share all of this with Joqu, who did the actual hard part (the banners, the top image and is the Photoshop maestro).

Hehe, I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out but I'm by no means a photoshop maestro, I've seen people deliver much more impressive work here that I'm by no means capable of. And don't undersell your part now, if I had handled the text part of things it really would've been pretty bad.

Anyway, I'm glad I could help out and be a part of this!

Sorry if this is a dumb ass question, and sorry if it was said somewhere in this thread, I have missed it if so.

Anyway,
All 18 episodes are this year? Or split between 2017 and 2018?

Thanks!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I actually will ask this as the window is closing to ever ask this again:

What do you expect the new season will be like/about? And what do you want from it? A simple question, but here we are right before the premiere and most of it is speculation still, there's a few bits out there we know but so much is in the dark. So what do y'all expect from this new season before it airs tomorrow?
I think it will play with the time/dimension bending properties of the Black Lodge a fair bit, with a lot of characters falling through worm holes like Jeffries in FWWM. This will allow Lynch to indulge in Inland Empire type shenanigans. The returning characters will mostly be there to be caught up in or investigate the reality shifting going on, so it will play out more like a surreal contained drama than the soap opera style of the original series.
Sorry if this is a dumb ass question, and sorry if it was said somewhere in this thread, I have missed it if so.

Anyway,
All 18 episodes are this year? Or split between 2017 and 2018?

Thanks!

All 18 this year. Finishes September 3.

munchie64

And yeah, discussed this in the previous Twin Peaks thread, but to everyone this is important:

When Parts 1 & 2 air on television, discuss them here with unmarked spoilers all you like, BUT please mark all Part 3 & 4 spoilers until the parts air next week. Parts 3 & 4 will become available on-demand services as soon as the first two parts are done live airing,
but parts 3 & 4 will air next weekend so anyone who watches the on-demand versions please mark spoiler tag all discussion of anything that happens in parts 3 & 4 for others who are waiting for the broadcast release.
Thank you for this. I'm gonna hold off on 3 and 4 so it'll be nice to still come in here.
Is there a decent summary anywhere? I remember a lot of the bigger and broader points (and most things with Laura, Bob, Cooper, etc) but a lot of the little details escaping me, especially some of later season 2 / FWWM since I didn't care for them so rewatched them less.
This is a pretty good text one.

1 hour video one.

Joqu

Not enough love for Mark Frost and Angelo Badalamenti in the OP. Those two are as much responsible for creating Twin Peaks as David Lynch is.

Edit: Great job with the OP otherwise. I'm just "salty" that these two men don't get enough recognition when it comes to their work in Twin Peaks.

I totally get where you're coming from, especially in regards to Mark Frost (we gave Badalamenti some love!), but we're coming from the perspective that Lynch hasn't directed anything but some miscellaneous stuff in years and that this could very well be last time he puts anything like this out considering his age. I hope you understand.

But perhaps an image of Frost and his book accompanied with an acknowledgment of his importance would be appropriate? Sumio?

What do you expect the new season will be like/about? And what do you want from it? A simple question, but here we are right before the premiere and most of it is speculation still, there's a few bits out there we know but so much is in the dark. So what do y'all expect from this new season before it airs tomorrow?

I expect and want to it to be like the David Lynch directed episodes of the original show and FWWM. So weird, melodramatic, and visually stunning. I expect scenes to walk the line of dramatic and comedic. I want more Black Lodge/Red Room moments and to see them expanded. More beings from that realm.

I also expect all the footage we've seen to be from the first 2 episodes. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the first shot is Cooper walking out of the darkness. That same footage that was our first glimpse many months ago.

I hope to see unannounced returning actors/characters. Piper Laurie in another disguise would be wonderful to me. Chris Issac, Keifer Sutherland, Heather Graham. Man that would be wonderful.

I can't wait to find out what the first memorable phrase will be from the new show. Will be back lodge mumbo jumbo like Garmonbozia, or some quirky food related exaltation?

With 18 hours of new Twin Peaks, there is so much to look forward to. I will look forward to nothing more every week than seeing what's developing in that strange and wonderful world.

I totally get where you're coming from, especially in regards to Mark Frost (we gave Badalamenti some love!), but we're coming from the perspective that Lynch hasn't directed anything but some miscellaneous stuff in years and that this could very well be last time he puts anything like this out considering his age. I hope you understand.

But perhaps an image of Frost and his book accompanied with an acknowledgment of his importance would be appropriate? Sumio?

And don't forget to add that Frost has another book coming out in the fall called the Final Dossier.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all of the praise everyone, this OT was one I felt so nervous about since everything David Lynch and Twin Peaks are both 10/10, top 5 things of all time for me. I share all of this with Joqu, who did the actual hard part (the banners, the top image and is the Photoshop maestro).

Thanks, adding to the FAQ!

Hehe, I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out but I'm by no means a photoshop maestro, I've seen people deliver much more impressive work here that I'm by no means capable of. And don't undersell your part now, if I had handled the text part of things it really would've been pretty bad.

Anyway, I'm glad I could help out and be a part of this!

Oh I hope I didn't too much pressure when I mentioned the MGS4 OT, this is great and more than I hoped for. Great work you guys, and thanks!

grumpy

I absolutely agree. Even if this wasn't the continuation of what many consider to be one of the best (if not the best) television shows ever, it would still be culturally and historically significant due to the fact that it not only marks Lynch's return to film-making after a decade-long absence but it could very well be the last major thing he has worked on.

I think that at least his picture alongside some of his book/tv writing credits would be good. Maybe the "Lynch / Frost Productions" logo as well somewhere?
icGhsyR.jpg

Joqu

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me!

And don't forget to add that Frost has another book coming out in the fall called the Final Dossier.
Good call. I'll make sure to bother Sumio later if he missed these posts, I say later because I'm away from my PC and I'd wip up an appropriate image when I'm home. But if it's edited now with some google stuff before that that's fine with me too.

I absolutely agree. Even if this wasn't the continuation of what many consider to be one of the best (if not the best) television shows ever, it would still be culturally and historically significant due to the fact that it not only marks Lynch's return to film-making after a decade-long absence but it could very well be the last major thing he has worked on.

I think that at least his picture alongside some of his book/tv writing credits would be good. Maybe the "Lynch / Frost Productions" logo as well somewhere?
icGhsyR.jpg

Hmhm, adding the logo's a good idea too. Thanks!

Maligna

Banned
Saw this post about the premiere on dugpa forums. Not really spoilers, but I'll tag it anyways.

Just finished speaking with a friend in the industry. He was at the premiere and afterparty. There is a total embargo, so no tweets or anything are allowed. I respected his boundaries, but he did volunteer one piece of information: this is not meant to be easily digestible by a fairweather audience. If you do not have the originals fresh in your memory, it will likely not make any sense whatsoever.

This may be a problem for the show's success, but as a fan I'm happy to hear it.

My biggest hope is that what we get is basically an eighteen hour long nightmare. Something crazy and at times incomprehensible that we'll be discussing for years and years. I just want to see Lynch turned up to 11. Something tonally more in line with the darker parts of the series and his filmography. Like the second half of Mulholland Drive.

jon_i634

Banned
Can't wait for this! I have never been let down by a Lynch directed feature (I haven't seen Dune, but it's not really his film) so I have high hopes for this. I'm ready to get weird.

Saw this post about the premiere on dugpa forums. Not really spoilers, but I'll tag it anyways.

Just finished speaking with a friend in the industry. He was at the premiere and afterparty. There is a total embargo, so no tweets or anything are allowed. I respected his boundaries, but he did volunteer one piece of information: this is not meant to be easily digestible by a fairweather audience. If you do not have the originals fresh in your memory, it will likely not make any sense whatsoever.

This may be a problem for the show's success, but as a fan I'm happy to hear it.

Hmm, I remember the broad strokes of the show pretty well, but not the smaller stuff. I did want to marathon the show before this but I just didn't have the time. Hope I don't feel too lost then lol

AHA-Lambda

Enraged?

Ah crap, it's been ages since I've watch the originals now, haven't had the time =/

Joqu

Ah crap, it's been ages since I've watch the originals now, haven't had the time =/
Gaf will fill you in I'm sure, don't worry too much. But a rewatch of the pilot, final episode and maybe the film can never hurt if you've got the time for it.

Yeah, added some Mark Frost love into the OP and emphasised his role more calling him "Co-Creator" now as well, since that's what he is after all. Adding in links to his new books as well as adding them into the FAQ.

EDIT: Also added in the quick recap of TP into the FAQ.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I miss that feeling of strangeness of watching David Lynch's stuff, I kind of wish I could forget his movies so I could rewatch them again.

I am ready for more of this stuff:

2OqxPo0.gif

terrible

Banned
Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen.

I know what my present will be tomorrow.

hydruxo

Well, he says that it's 'difficult'.

Matt Zoller Seitz ran a good piece a few days ago that predicted this kind of response.
An excerpt:

Yeah, I think Lynch has only gotten more abstract as his career goes on. He's got a real talent for piecing that abstraction together though. That's what makes his work stick with people for so long.

chekhonte

Great fucking OT OP.

I'm so psyched and if the work you put into that post I imagine you have even more hype than my impossibly high levels.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Man, I miss that feeling of strangeness of watching David Lynch's stuff, I kind of wish I could forget his movies so I could rewatch them again.

I am ready for more of this stuff:

2OqxPo0.gif

This one scene is the one scene in FWWM I didn't like, simply due to how it's mixed. The two individual scenes, the extended office scene and the extended scene above the Place Above the Convenience Store are both wonderful scenes alone but I don't think work well together. That's just my opinion, though.

Matt Zoller Seitz ran a good piece yesterday that predicted this kind of response.
An excerpt:

I'm expecting some parts of the new season will be 100% this, but one must also remember that this isn't a purely Lynch work, Mark Frost is just as much involved and to be honest I think Frost is the 'keeper of the lore' and the grounding of the two. He will certainly let Lynch go out and do whatever captures him, but I think he textures and helps a lot in the in-between.

Now I actually like Inland Empire so I'm very open to this, but I kind of suspect we'll see DNA of all of Lynch's career over this project, I feel there will be the feeling of the original series, but also not. I kind of think there may be some tonal shifts as the series goes on, which the original series had too but I think more extreme than that. Inland Empire is the only film by Lynch he himself labels as a horror movie, and I think with IE he really delved into pure darkness instead of fluctuating tones. I think this season of Twin Peaks will get dark, maybe darker than anything he's done before, but not so consistently. I think there will be plenty of breathers and other tones too.

But we shall see.

Gaf will fill you in I'm sure, don't worry too much. But a rewatch of the pilot, final episode and maybe the film can never hurt if you've got the time for it.

You definitely have to watch the film or replace it with the episodes where they reveal Laura's killer and the episode afterward. I feel like that'll be an essential thing at some point in the new season

chekhonte

Matt Zoller Seitz ran a good piece yesterday that predicted this kind of response.
An excerpt:

David Lynch has become an increasingly difficult, alienating artist, and he’s not suddenly going to do an about-face.
You saw Inland Empire, right? The nearly three-hour David Lynch–Laura Dern collaboration that was taped with a camcorder so crude you wouldn’t use it to shoot your blind uncle’s birthday party, and that seemed to implode and dissipate as you watched it?
We should prepare ourselves for the possibility that the new Twin Peaks will, from time to time, be even more abrasively strange than Inland Empire, because Inland Empire came out 11 years ago, and Lynch has only gotten crankier and more mystical with age.

If you look at David Lynch’s post–Twin Peaks work you see a decisive progression toward abstraction, meta-narratives, and challenges to the audience’s preconceptions.

It been my hope that the new season of Twin Peaks will continue Lynch's work towards undermining verisimilitude in film but fear that it won't. I don't think Showtime would have agreed to producing it. Lynch and Frost had already written every episode before it was green lighted.

I've seen Twin Peaks four times through. I am pretty good with the plot, but my girlfriend and I haven't watched it for a couple of years. That was the last time I saw it too - and for her it was her only time.

Has anybody found a fan-made recap of the original series? A video that will go through and refresh our memories before tomorrow?

Yeah, I think Mark Frost will be critical from it being "too weird" since FWWM was Lynch going solo, whereas the books are Frost going solo.
It's really when they are together is when I feel it's Twin Peaks at its best (Season 1, parts of Season 2). Not that I don't enjoy the other parts of TP as well (I really, really do) but you know, that's why this Season has me even more hyped, every episode is them writing it all together.

I've seen Twin Peaks four times through. I am pretty good with the plot, but my girlfriend and I haven't watched it for a couple of years. That was the last time I saw it too - and for her it was her only time.

Has anybody found a fan-made recap of the original series? A video that will go through and refresh our memories before tomorrow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_64-4c_E3o

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This one scene is the one scene in FWWM I didn't like, simply due to how it's mixed. The two individual scenes, the extended office scene and the extended scene above the Place Above the Convenience Store are both wonderful scenes alone but I don't think work well together. That's just my opinion, though.
The convenience store meeting scene is amazing and better than what we see in the film, but I don't think the extended Jeffries scene worked at all. I think sacrificing the convenience store scene was necessary to give Jeffries the strangeness they were going for; alone it just played as overdone quirk.
It been my hope that the new season of Twin Peaks will continue Lynch's work towards undermining verisimilitude in film but fear that it won't. I don't think Showtime would have agreed to producing it. Lynch and Frost had already written every episode before it was green lighted.
Well by the looks of it Lynch was adding new handwritten pages of script to the screenplay Frost and Lynch worked on together, while they were shooting, so I think some wild Lynchian tangents are coming our way.

Joqu

You definitely have to watch the film or replace it with the episodes where they reveal Laura's killer and the episode afterward. I feel like that'll be an essential thing at some point in the new season
Yeah, I'm just trying to keep it as short of a watch as possible since they're short on time, I'd consider the pilot and final the bare minimum of a rewatch. But you're right of course, FWWM and those episodes are really important ones too.

GREAT WORK ON THE OP, FRIEND! GOOD TO SEE THERE ARE SO MANY FOLKS WHO ARE EXCITED AS I AM!

I UNDERSTAND THE FIRST TWO EPISODES PREMIERED TO A LIMITED AUDIENCE LAST NIGHT, AND WE'VE GOT A FEW TWITTER REACTIONS THAT SEEM POSITIVE ENOUGH. ANY CHANCE OF SEEING SOMETHING MORE SUBSTANTIAL, LIKE A FULL REVIEW SOMETIME TODAY? THAT'D REALLY BE DANDY!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

GREAT WORK ON THE OP, FRIEND! GOOD TO SEE THERE ARE SO MANY FOLKS WHO ARE EXCITED AS I AM!

I UNDERSTAND THE FIRST TWO EPISODES PREMIERED TO A LIMITED AUDIENCE LAST NIGHT, AND WE'VE GOT A FEW TWITTER REACTIONS THAT SEEM POSITIVE ENOUGH. ANY CHANCE OF SEEING SOMETHING MORE SUBSTANTIAL, LIKE A FULL REVIEW SOMETIME TODAY? THAT'D REALLY BE DANDY!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK
SORRY GORDON, THIS ONE'S UNDER LOCK AND KEY UNTIL SUNDAY AT 11!

brainslug

It still seems unreal to me that this show will return in (less than) two days. And the fact that pretty much nothing is known about the storyline. That's amazing in this day and age.

SO HYPED. Let's just hope it's more like S1 and FWWM and less like S2.

chekhonte

Well by the looks of it Lynch was adding new handwritten pages of script to the screenplay Frost and Lynch worked on together, while they were shooting, so I think some wild Lynchian tangents are coming our way.

I hope so. I'll most likely love it regardless. Every time that Lynch has put something out I'm surprised by what he produced. I have hope that regardless of the direction he goes in, even if I'm initially turned off, I'll be able to come around to it in time.

What does that mean?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

No chance, they're on NDS and being very stern on secrecy.

Reviews will probably be popping up after the premiere has already happened. Though to be honest I'm not really caring too much on reviews for this, I'm already committed to watching all 18 parts and forging my own feelings on this.

Is there a decent summary anywhere? I remember a lot of the bigger and broader points (and most things with Laura, Bob, Cooper, etc) but a lot of the little details escaping me, especially some of later season 2 / FWWM since I didn't care for them so rewatched them less.

Look up Lostinthemovies' recaps on YouTube. They are amazing.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

NO PROBLEM! I WILL ADD REVIEWS WHEN THEY COME IN, UNFORTUNATELY THERE ISN'T ANY YET. BETTER GET BACK TO KISSING SHELLY AND DRINKING BLACK COFFEE, GORDON.

Kaizer

Banned
Probably won't really be posting in this thread until the 2nd episode of this season airs, still working my way through Season 2 for the first time. Currently on Episode 6, really enjoy the show, but man is it weird/campy/goofy/fascinating lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom