• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashby

Done. Doing now. This is a prequel though right? How the hell does season 3 even work with the way season 2 ends? Though with so many years in between it somehow seems perfect. My mind is still reeling. Such vibrant characters suddenly gone. Is it weird that I will genuinely miss fictional people that don't come back for the new season? There was just too much to empathize with while been captured by "what the living hell is going on?"

Does anything new get explained in Fire Walk With Me?

A lot, actually.

Flipyap

It was so nice to see Ronette all healthy-like in the finale. I'm glad Lynch understood that there's value in letting us see those minor characters one last time and gave her that little unscripted cameo (the Log Lady and Sarah Palmer also don't make an appearance in that lousy script).
I hope she's doing well 25 years later. If there's any character that deserves it, it's Ronette.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh wow, I just finished the show a few days ago but I thought the premiere was next week! I really cut it close...

btw where's the OT?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
watching FWWM.... what the hell Sutherland? Bowie? 30 minutes in and I'm more confused than I was for most of twin peaks

Flipyap

Esquire: Twin Peaks Co-Creator Mark Frost Explains The True Nature Of BOB (weird headline, that's not even the interesting part of this interview and he doesn't explain a thing)

Twin Peaks: The Return was born out of Lynch and Frost’s abandoned blueprints for Season Three.

We retrieved those blueprints, blew the dust off them, and decided what made sense [to retain], given that 25 years had passed in the interim. We incorporated some of it, and proceeded to totally ignore the rest and go off in a new direction. We long ago made peace with whatever perceived issues there might have been with that second half of Season Two. It is what it is, it was what it was, and I think all of it in one way or another proved foundational for what we did moving forward.

(...)

Frost and Lynch often collaborate remotely, and the new series was written largely via Skype.

The first time around, we were writing the Twin Peaks pilot on this incredibly early piece of remote-working software, when David was in New York and I was in L.A. on a little 512K Mac. It was like Alexander Graham Bell discovering the telephone, the fact that I could sit there and type in L.A. and the words would show up on his screen in New York while we were talking on the phone–I remember David saying, “Holy cow!” It was like magic, so it makes sense that many years later, we’re using something a little bit more sophisticated than a Dick Tracy Two-Way radio to write the story together. [Skype] also prevented me from inhaling second hand smoke for two years, so on a personal level it was beneficial to my health.

munchie64

And a more intriguing response from Price Peterson of Vulture, who seems to love it but expects it to make people mad:
https://twitter.com/pricepeterson/status/865776407019835392
tumblr_mp4g4u9WhQ1rvzc39o1_500.gif

Esquire: Twin Peaks Co-Creator Mark Frost Explains The True Nature Of BOB (weird headline, that's not even the interesting part of this interview and he doesn't explain a thing)
I'm glad Frost seems into it as much as Lynch.

Real Hero

Yeah like FWWM this is probably going to to annoy some fans so much. I think there's probably those who expect anything and those that just want old twin peaks ( which isn't going to happen I imagine)

As Lynch said. focus on the doughnut not the hole

-shadow-

Watched the season one finale and season two opening last night. Wanted to marathon way more, but my friend wouldn't have any of it ontop of those two that evening. Man I want to finish it up before watching season 3, but I doubt I'll manage the rest of season 2 and FWWM on just Sunday :/

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think the most we know is one person say they loved it and it was weird and one person said they loved it and can't wait for Monday because it's going to make some people so made.

I welcome that though.

Also this thing was recently posted, there are zero spoilers, it's mostly just basic info from quotes we already knew, how people who saw it are being urged not to spill stuff, and Lynch's speech he made before he premiered the episodes to the audience was apparently about Douglas Firs:

LOS ANGELES As co-creator David Lynch introduced the first screening of his much-anticipated revival of the 1990s TV series "Twin Peaks", he evoked the image of the tall green Douglas fir trees that came to define the mysterious small town setting of his show.

"Douglas firs are beautiful trees and if we're very quiet, we can hear the rustling needles as we move through the forest, getting closer and closer and now we're here," Lynch told an audience late on Friday, embracing his penchant for being enigmatic.

Ahead of Showtime's "Twin Peaks" debut on Sunday, the cast and creators have closely guarded the details of the new season. Guests and reporters at the Los Angeles premiere were urged to not reveal any of the plot details of the first two episodes screened on Friday night.

Mystery -- and perhaps a special level of bizarreness -- has been part of the fabric of "Twin Peaks" since its inception on ABC in 1990, following FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) as he arrives in a small lumber town to investigate the strange and supernatural circumstances of the murder of teen homecoming-queen Laura Palmer.

MacLachlan, who reprises his role as Cooper, told Reuters, "I can't say much but we do drink coffee and it is damn good. And we do have cherry pie."

The pie and brew took on cult status in the original showing.

Co-creator Mark Frost said the new 18-part season "had to be in its own way, as startling and different and arresting as it was the first time."

"This was not an exercise in nostalgia, this was an attempt to move the ball forward both narratively and cinematically," he said.

The series finale in 1991 left multiple cliffhangers, but most notably the fate of Cooper after his surreal encounters with the killer spirit Bob and his own evil doppelganger in the show's other-worldly Black Lodge.

The spirit of Palmer tells him, "I'll see you again in 25 years," and the last scene sees Cooper smash his head against a bathroom mirror with a sinister laugh as the reflection of Bob looks back at him.

Numerous original cast members reprised their roles, such as Sheryl Lee as Palmer, Madchen Amick as Shelly Johnson and Dana Ashbrook as Bobby Briggs, while new additions include Naomi Watts and Laura Dern.

"It's so beautiful when we're in this golden era of what filmmakers can do on cable television ... to bring David back into this arena where he has freedom to create with such autonomy is incredible," Dern said.

ActWan

And that's it, I finished my entire rewatch including the movie and The Missing Pieces.
My opinion of the movie hasn't changed - it's freaking amazing, but on a structural level it feels to me more like a collection of great scenes than a movie. Still, can't be more hyped right now. Tomorrow is the big day!

Jb

"Douglas firs are beautiful trees and if we're very quiet, we can hear the rustling needles as we move through the forest, getting closer and closer and now we're here," Lynch told an audience late on Friday, embracing his penchant for being enigmatic.

It's weird how I can visualize exactly the kind of hand movement Lynch did as he said this.

Ok so we are at a point where some random tv critics have seen the first episodes and are telling about them on Twitter (even if it's just "I liked it"). This is where I'll be going offline. Not for the fear of spoilers, but I simply don't want to hear anyone's impressions if I can watch it myself in less than 48 hours.

I've been reading this thread since the first post! It has been wonderful. Thank you all.

munchie64

Updated my avatar with this.

Ok so we are at a point where some random tv critics have seen the first episodes and are telling about them on Twitter (even if it's just "I liked it"). This is where I'll be going offline. Not for the fear of spoilers, but I simply don't want to hear anyone's impressions if I can watch it myself in less than 48 hours.

I've been reading this thread since the first post! It has been wonderful. Thank you all.
You are stronger than me.

How the hell did it take 5 years for Laura to figure out
BOB was her own dad? Surely being home alone with him like in FWWM should've allowed her to deduce it much earlier?

Corpsepyre

Banned
I wonder how they'll get around to not having BOB or the dwarf in the season. They were important characters to the overall mythology.

Jb

Sheryl Lee is pretty unrivaled at looking absolutely horrified. FWWM is so impressive, even on third watch.

I can only imagine how disappointed she must have been by FWWM's initial reception after pouring so much heart and energy in this performance :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom