• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

I really like this game, but why does the singleplayer AI have to gank up on you. One of the unique aspect of this game is the chaos of a open arena where every man is fighting for himself. The joy of seeing two or three fighting each other while you fire rockets from a safe distance, that is until the fifth is sneaking up on you.

Online doesn't work for me.

Let's just hope the game plays out like it should, because at it's core, it's blazingly fun.

Aesthet1c

I don't know if it is Sony's or Eat Sleep Play's fault, but the online servers for this are utter shit. Obviously it was their intention to use the demo to sell people on what a great multiplayer experience this is, but I have spent three separate nights trying to play this online. Each night consists of 20-30 minutes of matchmaking errors or sitting in a lobby with 1 other dude waiting for it to fill up. I was on the fence of day 1 purchasing this, but now I think I will wait a month or two, or even just hold off altogether.

ElRenoRaven

I don't know if it is Sony's or Eat Sleep Play's fault, but the online servers for this are utter shit. Obviously it was their intention to use the demo to sell people on what a great multiplayer experience this is, but I have spent three separate nights trying to play this online. Each night consists of 20-30 minutes of matchmaking errors or sitting in a lobby with 1 other dude waiting for it to fill up. I was on the fence of day 1 purchasing this, but now I think I will wait a month or two, or even just hold off altogether.

As has been covered time and time again the online issues are on Sony's end. The retails runs smoothly and should not have these issues. It's actually improved a ton and Sony are probably going to extend the demo to make up for all the issues and are currently still working on fixing them.

David made a new tweet about how clans will work in the game also

Ustart a clan and can invite people to be in it. U can ID them in battles. U can send them messages&kick them out. That's it.

So obviously it will be rudimentary. No setting officers and stuff it seems. I'm ok with that but I'm also not the type to be in a clan. lol

Endo Punk

Finally managed to win with Reaper on SP challenge. Man that freeze plus fire saw combo really comes in handy, got my final kill with a point blank shot gun. Felt like the friggen Terminator :p

Sigh may well be delayed in the UK but it's gonna be worth the wait.

Finally managed to win with Reaper on SP challenge. Man that freeze plus fire saw combo really comes in handy, got my final kill with a point blank shot gun. Felt like the friggen Terminator :p

Sigh may well be delayed in the UK but it's gonna be worth the wait.

How expensive is it to import games from the US?

Endo Punk

How expensive is it to import games from the US?

Don't know the price but importing will cause more issues like creating a US account to redeem the online pass, not being able to play on my ID and of course the off-chance there is DLC I have to buy a US pre-paid card. I really don't mind the wait. It's the cuts that annoy me but Jaffe said it wont be as bad as TMB so hopefully he is right...

ElRenoRaven

Hey... I have a dick!

Interesting thing about that interview. David's been taking some heat it seems and has addressed it on twitter.

Uhm, on the whole GT BJ thing, if I may: I like vulgar but the way that was edited came off more vulgar than even I like. There actually was some context to that conversation as I recall but the edit only showed the last part of a bigger discussion. Granted, the overall discussion was still intentionally juvenile and over the top but w/that as context- especially given the entire REST of the GT piece had NO indication the interview was gonna go vulgar, at least I think you'd see more where it was coming from.

V_Ben

Banned
Interesting thing about that interview. David's been taking some heat it seems and has addressed it on twitter.

To be fair, it is a pretty horrible thing to say. It just sounds foul. Granted, some people may be thicker skinned than I am, but it seemed super inappropriate as a comment.

Well, if this is true then we better enjoy this Twisted Metal...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/53456556-79/game-company-games-campbell.html.csp

:/

Someone ask Jaffe about it on Twitter.

i7WaId8ullaxS.gif

ElRenoRaven

To be fair, it is a pretty horrible thing to say. It just sounds foul. Granted, some people may be thicker skinned than I am, but it seemed super inappropriate as a comment.

Honestly they were kidding. Now if he was serious I'd be upset but it was clear he was joking even from the way they edited it. Course like he said it was crude. He was quick to admit it was. But I don't think he was being misogynistic like one person is trying to say he was.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/53456556-79/game-company-games-campbell.html.csp

Nothing to worry about. Normal to let some go after a huge game is finished. Also the company was founded to make smaller games. Hell Twisted Metal started as a downloadable PSN title and grew to a full retail game. Also David does this. He'll work with them then go off and do his own thing then he'll hook up with them again and do another game and then again go off to do something else.

So this really isn't anything unusual.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well as a consumer and gamer I ultimate want to purchase a game that has the most replay value. Multiplayer adds to that value, but also the depth of a game can add even more if done correctly. When a game has depth, naturally that means the game has multiple layers and thus multiple combinations of how you can go about experiencing a game. So naturally you would want to buy a game that gives you the most bang for your buck.

For example, a multiplayer game that has a lot of depth possibly means that in combat you have a large variety of ways to combat your enemies as well as possibly countering their attacks. I am by no means a expert on the fighter genre. But Tekken 6 has to have the most depth then any other fighting game I have played this generation. There is just so much depth there and such a large cast of characters as well as customization I can imagine anyone who buys this game will have hours upon countless hours on replay value.

On the opposite spectrum take Uncharted. The game is oozing with quality, but when it comes to combat there is not much depth there. I played Uncharted 2 online, but I really could not play it ours on end because I would just get burnt out on how shallow the combat was. Uncharted is not the only culprit here, but this is just an example.

Twisted Metal has a lot of depth. You have Vehicle which each one has a different speed,armor,handling,hitpoints,special. Then you have different weapons that can serve multiple purposes on top of your energy bar. Then you have shit like level design, does it have special properties? Does it have environmental hazards (like lava)? Does the layout of the map change in real time? I don't mean to sound redundant and I am sure you have experienced the depth yourself. But when you see all the possibilities and variety that is available to you. You eventually realize just how deep this game really is.

Now lets talk about difficulty. I myself at first was having trouble with the control scheme. Mainly because every game that involved driving/racing cars was either R2/L2 or X/[ ] and then O for E brake. After getting the hang of the controls I realized how smooth the transitions were and how much sense the layout made overall. I don't find myself accidentally smashing the wrong button nor do I find myself having trouble shooting while turning and boosting. So I am sure Eat,Sleep,Play went through a lot of trial and error to find the most fluid control scheme.

I can also understand players being turned off by a game being too difficult, but lets be honest. This generation of gaming has to be the most accessible and easiest to date. Casual gamers are the main culprit, but if they are not capable of owning shit within the first 2 minutes of their gamely experienced they automatically want to trade it back in (Of course this is the most extreme of cases). I think a game like Demon Souls, Dark Souls was so well received because even though it was hard, that difficulty made victory so much sweeter. Most games really lack in providing the player with a elaborate challenge, and so when they beat the game it really ends up feeling like a hollow experience.

From personal experienced I cannot tell you how badass I felt when I would beat a game like God of War/Devil May Cry on the hardest difficultly. I was countering every attack on top of building up a big combo and I felt like I was the shit. And very few games really offer that kind of adrenaline rush. With most modern games today the height of success is hiding behind cover to regenerate your health or dropping a grenade when you die to get a free kill. I may be coming off as a dick, but I am exhausted of players thinking they are good because they accomplish a achievement that the game just hands to you on a silver platter.

I understand that money talks and Publishers/Developers want to reach the highest common denominator. But in the process a game gets created that is so diluted and watered down that lacks its own identity that you end up playing a 1-dimensional game that is ultimately hollow and unsatisfying. It is like Wal-Mart trying to be the end all be all the one stop shop, but ultimately lack the specific item you want to acquire.

If Twisted Metal does not do well it will be because a majority of gamers want a easy accessible game that showers you with praise and worship for accomplishing the most mundane and simplistic task that are not even remotely challenging. Stuff like Call of Duty do well because of this said strategy. They throw big ass numbers in your face as well as "HEADSHOT" making you think your such a over achiever. David Jaffe has already stated several times that this is the best Twisted Metal they have ever done. And if you do not like Twisted Metal the way it is. Then there really isn't much else to say. They have play tested the shit out of this game to make it as fun and as balanced as possible. So if people lost interest, then they just don't like it. But that does not mean Twisted Metal is less of a game.

Games like Unreal Tournament and Quake had no such thing as experience points or leveling/perks. You would spawn, and it was up to you to find the weapon pickups/health/armor. Everyone was on a even playing field. When you nailed someone with a nasty shock combo or when you nailed someone with a mid-air rocket the kill itself was more glorifying then any experience points earned could ever be. Twisted Metal is harkening back to where the kill possessed all the glory itself. Imagine how insane it would be if you nailed Talon mid-air with a flaming chainsaw? Or doing donuts around someone with Crimson Fury as they are incinerated from the flamethrower? Such a grizzly satisfying and glorious moment is rarely experienced in this generation of console games.

It may be difficult to grasp and even more difficult to master. But when you do the taste of Victory is so overwhelming you will find it hard to recreate that feeling elsewhere.

I know this is just my opinion and is probably incoherent ranting to some people. But there it is. WALL OF TEXT.
I read all that and it was great. Also deserves a repost.

wcw

Neo Member

I knew Jaffe was going to leave ESP for the time being to pursue something else. But I really hope Eat Sleep Play revisits the Twisted Metal franchise down the line. Wither its a Vita game or a PS4 game I would like to see Twisted be on every playstation platform.

But I think its good that ESP moves on from TM at the moment. Never want a developer to stay on one thing too long.

Liberty4all

Banned

I agree as well. I was playing last night in a Darksider, guy chasing me. I drop 3 mines and he hits all 3. I then peel around to face him head on and do the Darksider special ram smoking him.

It was a FUCK YEAH moment, and one that I rarely get on console games.

KuroNeeko

Yeah, I really respect a lot of Jaffe's views on mechanics-based game design and have enjoyed his straightforward honesty about the creation of the game, but that quote struck the wrong chord.

When I heard it I kind of felt like, "Well, I guess we know what audience they're targeting now." I'm not going to drop my pre-order or anything and I still respect the guy as a developer and what looks like a dood whose really into his kids, but I enjoyed the whole, "I like marijuana" quote a whole lot more.

I mean, shit, I've said things I wish I could take back at times so I'll just try to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

I agree specifically about Uncharted. Game gets way too much praise for being best game of the generation. If that's the way gaming is heading down then I am not a fan.

I disagree about UC2's online though. While simple, it was very fun. Much better than UC3's mess which threw in gameplay features and called it a day.

When I look at Twisted Metal, I see a game worth $60 for the depth, and equally important the fun. Games just don't emphasize that anymore. Honestly, it's the split-screen that has me really going for the day 1 buy.

Yeah, I really respect a lot of Jaffe's views on mechanics-based game design and have enjoyed his straightforward honesty about the creation of the game, but that quote struck the wrong chord.

When I heard it I kind of felt like, "Well, I guess we know what audience they're targeting now." I'm not going to drop my pre-order or anything and I still respect the guy as a developer and what looks like a dood whose really into his kids, but I enjoyed the whole, "I like marijuana" quote a whole lot more.

I mean, shit, I've said things I wish I could take back at times so I'll just try to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure he wasn't intending it to target an audience. He was simply making a joke, tying the release date, crude as it may be, to the fact that it's coming out on Valentine's.

Let's not pretend that there isn't an attitude where Valentine's Day= Get laid day, Jaffe was just jokingly equating the game to do that.

KuroNeeko

If Twisted Metal does not do well it will be because a majority of gamers want a easy accessible game that showers you with praise and worship for accomplishing the most mundane and simplistic task that are not even remotely challenging. Stuff like Call of Duty do well because of this said strategy. They throw big ass numbers in your face as well as "HEADSHOT" making you think your such a over achiever. David Jaffe has already stated several times that this is the best Twisted Metal they have ever done. And if you do not like Twisted Metal the way it is. Then there really isn't much else to say. They have play tested the shit out of this game to make it as fun and as balanced as possible. So if people lost interest, then they just don't like it. But that does not mean Twisted Metal is less of a game.

I know this is just my opinion and is probably incoherent ranting to some people. But there it is. WALL OF TEXT.

And this is ultimately what it's going to come down to. It's easy for me to sit here and crap on CoD, but the fact is that not only does it outsell itself with each iteration, but it outsells the crap out of everything else. Has the gaming demographic changed to the point where we need junk food like CoD*? Or are there enough people out there who want to dive down into the complexity and feel the satisfaction of getting better at the game. As you've said, from what I've seen, ESP has made a fine game. What remains to be seen is whether or not there is still a place for said game. I hope so.

Looking at the average age of gamers and game consumers in the US (high 30's), I want to think that there is room for this kind of depth. I guess we'll see when the numbers start rolling in.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with most of what you said and it was written a lot clearly than what I had posted (which is what you get when you've got your son waiting for you to read to him.) Anyway, thanks for the food for thought.

KuroNeeko

I'm sure he wasn't intending it to target an audience. He was simply making a joke, tying the release date, crude as it may be, to the fact that it's coming out on Valentine's.

Let's not pretend that there isn't an attitude where Valentine's Day= Get laid day, Jaffe was just jokingly equating the game to do that.

Ah, I was just on my way to go listen to it myself. I'd only "heard" it through GAF so that clears things up. Still not his strongest one-liner I think, especially when it pulls attention away from what he's trying to push (i.e. the game and his studio.)

Anyway, can't bash the man for being himself, and like I said, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Still respect the dood (not that he'd lose any sleep if I didn't.)

I've never really equated Valentine's Day with Get Laid Day. Like I (or you) really need a holiday to get some. Chances are, if you're in a relationship you're getting it already. If you're not, V-Day isn't really going to change that.

Just read that article on ESP.

Jaffe, if you stop making hardcore games and go into casual market, I will track you down and give you a wedgie.

KuroNeeko

What the..?!
Daaaamn! :(

Hope it sells well. Best case scenario is that they make enough to pay off the extensions, receive some royalties, and find new work quickly.

I was looking at applying at ESP a few years from now when I move back to the States.
Interesting to see where they'll go.

Jaffe as well. I wish them all luck!

Kuroki Meisa <3

Just read that article on ESP.

Jaffe, if you stop making hardcore games and go into casual market, I will track you down and give you a wedgie.

if Jaffe's definition of casual game is Calling All Cars with more cars, weapon and level, than I'd be ok with that. I just hope he sticks with device that have buttons and sticks and not go virtual buttons on us.

RagnarokX

Ah, I was just on my way to go listen to it myself. I'd only "heard" it through GAF so that clears things up. Still not his strongest one-liner I think, especially when it pulls attention away from what he's trying to push (i.e. the game and his studio.)

Anyway, can't bash the man for being himself, and like I said, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Still respect the dood (not that he'd lose any sleep if I didn't.)

I've never really equated Valentine's Day with Get Laid Day. Like I (or you) really need a holiday to get some. Chances are, if you're in a relationship you're getting it already. If you're not, V-Day isn't really going to change that.

Well, he says there was context. Maybe the interviewer was joking about it coming out on valentines day and not being an appropriate valentines gift which spurred the joke from Jaffe about letting your gf win and getting a bj.

That's really disappointing that ESP is going to work on casual mobile games, and that Jaffe appears to be going that route as well.

Oh well, thanks for bringing a Twisted Metal to the PS3. Demo has been a lot of fun.

Helscream

Banned

It is sometimes difficult to extract everything from my brain that I want to express and try to make sense out of simultaneously.

I agree specifically about Uncharted. Game gets way too much praise for being best game of the generation. If that's the way gaming is heading down then I am not a fan.

I disagree about UC2's online though. While simple, it was very fun. Much better than UC3's mess which threw in gameplay features and called it a day.

When I look at Twisted Metal, I see a game worth $60 for the depth, and equally important the fun. Games just don't emphasize that anymore. Honestly, it's the split-screen that has me really going
for the day 1 buy.

Yea I did not go into depth because I wanted to get Twisted Metal as the center of attention, but in truth I had a lot of fun with Uncharted 2 Online. I just did not find myself in the long run playing it contentiously. I guess what I wanted to illustrate was, while it was indeed fun at first. I found myself getting burnt out on that formula faster than I wanted to. Naughty Dog has done a good job squeezing every bit of ounce of quality into the Uncharted series. But I found myself wanting more depth with the combat. And like I said, Uncharted is not the only culprit.

And Yes I do agree that Twisted Metal is really worth your $60. And shit like splitscreen (let alone four-player split screen) you rarely see these days.

And this is ultimately what it's going to come down to. It's easy for me to sit here and crap on CoD, but the fact is that not only does it outsell itself with each iteration, but it outsells the crap out of everything else. Has the gaming demographic changed to the point where we need junk food like CoD*? Or are there enough people out there who want to dive down into the complexity and feel the satisfaction of getting better at the game. As you've said, from what I've seen, ESP has made a fine game. What remains to be seen is whether or not there is still a place for said game. I hope so.

Looking at the average age of gamers and game consumers in the US (high 30's), I want to think that there is room for this kind of depth. I guess we'll see when the numbers start rolling in.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with most of what you said and it was written a lot clearly than what I had posted (which is what you get when you've got your son waiting for you to read to him.) Anyway, thanks for the food for thought.

This is what worries me the most with the gaming industry. Will the days of complex games with elaborate challenges with complex combat mechanics will be a relic of the past? Will we look back and say "Yea those games back then were really fun. I wonder why that stopped making those types of games". I don't want to come off as some wrist cutting emo kid, but I really wonder if the breed of the true legitimate hardcore gamers are dying off. It fucking sickens me to hear people say ''Yea I am a Gamer" like it is some kinda of popular/hip trend. Knowing that the same people who say that shit were CALLING US virgin nerds who live our parents basement 5 Years ago.

I don't want to rage out here and go off topic, but Twisted Metal will show me what gamers want in a game. I know this game is a PS3 exclusive, but a good game is a good game period.

I did read your post thoroughly though. And Family Time> NeoGaf. Respect.

Top Bottom