• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

BHK3

Banned
At this point I'm just waiting for Axel then I'll come back to daily play.

About the no teams thing in ranked, well it works in unranked, make a game there and invite friends and name it something called clan match or whatever. I hate nothing more then being teamed up against a group of friends who all cooperate actually know what they're doing, because I don't have the same luxury, it's a serious serious flaw in games like uncharted 3 but this game doesn't have that, and I rather it not have that then to play with you guys and steamroll the other team. Compromises have to be made.

I'm happy he acknowledges leaderboards being fucked, but the trophies thing is a simple answer, don't fucking have any online ones. Have a reach max rank trophy and that's it, end it there, or make everything attainable offline as well.

I still find the game fun and just wished more people played it, my biggest issue is the lack of cars. Yes, LACK. Most of the roster is too sameish to me, so I end up scrolling through the entire list going "there's nothing here to play". I don't play Warthog because I put blood sweat and plenty of tears into getting him, I play him because of his uniqueness and combat abilities. Why should I play roadkill over death warrant? Is there anything to Crimson Fury besides speed that makes him better or equal to kamikaze? That's FOUR cars right there, there's a overpowered helicopter and a big black semi truck with one special(the ram is the turbo ram, everyone has that) so that's 6 cars knocked off the bat. The alternate weapons suck, the sub machine gun isn't all that good, the laser pistol looks cool but it's useless, the shotgun is worthless online because of it's incredibly short range and lag differences which make landing the shot even hard, rocket launcher needs a little accuracy boost. Roadboats alt magnet special could have been handled better, most of the cars having a turret special wasn't the best decision, not enough variety. You don't know how much I was hoping for a secret 18th car, and a possible preacher campaign. I'm not mad that I didn't get them, I instead understand why I didn't. Someone should have had a electricity special, someone should have had a unique projectile special(shadows shadow, reapers sickel).

The gameplay is fine but I guess I have just a issue with the cars/specials that can't really be fixed.

Really, the cars is my biggest complaint in an otherwise perfect game. The online had a rocky start, yes, but now it works(for me at least) but there's not that many games for me. Everything is just team death match, everything. There was a 2 day period where there were NO nuke games, AT ALL. If more people played and got good at it then I'd play more.

This is the same issue I had with call of duty 4 way back in the beta. The game was just too easy for me so I got bored, very bored. Not that many people played and it started to die down, yeah kinda weird reading that but that was the beta. TM just needs a big community boost for me personally.

I find it interesting Jaffe said there's still some stuff we don't know about yet, I find that very hard to believe, aside from that jet moto easter egg I never found.

About the no teams thing in ranked, well it works in unranked, make a game there and invite friends and name it something called clan match or whatever.

I would but there's no XP progression or stat tracking or trophy gaining (the tough ones at least) in unranked. When you play with friends, you get cut off from other stuff. TM is the only current game that does this. I don't know why.

Unicorn

It's almost as good as tm3 & 4.

You're trollin'. Almost as good as 3. 4 isn't a game. It's just a demonstration of everythin NOT to do ina TM game.

Gameplay wise, it's the best. TM2 had the best "story" mode. The specials in TM2 are the top though.

BHK3

Banned
Is this game better than 2 or black? Is it the best twisted metal game?

I thought 2 was kinda shitty, 3 and black were great. I thought 4 was ok, 3 and 4s main problems were shitty characters, but the gameplay and level design was great, not that good in 4 though.

Black I still consider the best out of the old TM's, this one is better then black though.

Unicorn

Why did you think TM2 was shitty? I know this probably isn't a valid argument, but when did you first play it?

Personally, I think it holds up pretty well, aside from the bouncy ramping physics. I wish I could use TM2 sound effects, although in better audio quality, while playing this new TM.

BHK3

Banned
Why did you think TM2 was shitty? I know this probably isn't a valid argument, but when did you first play it?

Personally, I think it holds up pretty well, aside from the bouncy ramping physics. I wish I could use TM2 sound effects, although in better audio quality, while playing this new TM.

The handling was bad, that was my biggest gripe. Personally the games graphics were also very unattractive, I thought TM1 was bad but TM2 is no different. TM3 and 4 were what TM should have looked and played like. All the fans can shit on 3 and 4 all they want, TM1 is a just a big bumper car with missles game and 2 was that but not as bad. 3 handled great and so did 4, but the writing wasn't there to support the game which led to terrible characters and stories, even environments(4).

I played it when I was little and I played it again recently and nothings changed.

S1lent

In my book, TM2 is still the best game in the series. This may be partly due to nostalgia, but that games's vehicles, stories, level designs, music, and gameplay were all rock solid in a way hasn't been matched by any of the subsequent games.

Helscream

Banned
Just picked this up at the weekend. Very few network errors so far so I guess I'm kinda lucky.

Jesus I suck at this game though.

Word of advice, just be patient. This is not like most multiplayer games where you go out and participate in a firefight only to do within 5 seconds and then be instantly respawned to do it again. Learn where all the health packs are, as well as getting familiar with weapon placement on every map. Mega Gun Bullets and Health Packs are the two most desirable. Killing other players takes time. Don't expect to getting a quick kill in. Unless you have a vast arsenal of power missiles to spam. If you realize you are losing the fight, try to get away and get some health. Also you want to stock up on as many weapons as possible before you enter a fire fight. Nothing worse then almost killing a guy to realize you have no weapons in your arsenal. There is a lot of stuff to take in, but eventually you will understand that certain vehicles work best on certain maps.

I'm hoping that the next Twisted Metal launches with at least the online functionality that Halo 2 had back in 2004.

harsh, I know, but I would have the same hopes for any multiplayer game.

There wont be another Twisted Metal game. Jaffe is just pretty much the middle man now. ESP is no more and are on a skeleton crew working on this game.

I wonder if Jaffe left because he knew what a piece of shit they were making in Utah. If you read between the lines he clearly sees the errors on no being there all the time. Those ESP guys dropped the ball and it looks like he might have taken his eyes off the road or trusted them a little too much. Sony probably never asked questions because it was Jaffe.

I really hope there is another Twisted Metal game. I think Jaffe has learned a great many lessons from this one.

Word of advice, just be patient. This is not like most multiplayer games where you go out and participate in a firefight only to do within 5 seconds and then be instantly respawned to do it again. Learn where all the health packs are, as well as getting familiar with weapon placement on every map. Mega Gun Bullets and Health Packs are the two most desirable. Killing other players takes time. Don't expect to getting a quick kill in. Unless you have a vast arsenal of power missiles to spam. If you realize you are losing the fight, try to get away and get some health. Also you want to stock up on as many weapons as possible before you enter a fire fight. Nothing worse then almost killing a guy to realize you have no weapons in your arsenal. There is a lot of stuff to take in, but eventually you will understand that certain vehicles work best on certain maps.

Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to getting properly stuck in!

mattp

There wont be another Twisted Metal game. Jaffe is just pretty much the middle man now. ESP is no more and are on a skeleton crew working on this game.

I wonder if Jaffe left because he knew what a piece of shit they were making in Utah. If you read between the lines he clearly sees the errors on no being there all the time. Those ESP guys dropped the ball and it looks like he might have taken his eyes off the road or trusted them a little too much. Sony probably never asked questions because it was Jaffe.

I really hope there is another Twisted Metal game. I think Jaffe has learned a great many lessons from this one.

i think you're right on most of this
but a piece of shit? come on
what's up hyperbole?
the game is fucking fantastic for the most part

Cactus

Banned

I wouldn't go so far as to call the game a piece of shit, but yeah, it's really disappointing that this will most likely be the last Twisted Metal game. Demo issues, online connectivity issues, questionable campaign decisions, questionable story decisions...I don't think I've ever been this disappointed by a video game before. As amazing as the actual "game" part is, all the superfluous aspects of the design coupled with the myriad of connectivity issues have left me bitterly disappointed.

I just hope the game sells well so there's hope for another TM game in the future, because a "back to basics" sequel with functioning online would probably counteract all the damage that this game has done to the IP. I don't think it'll happen though since Jaffe will probably want to make other games with his new company and I highly doubt ESP will ever make a game nearly as big as this again.

Piece of shit might have been strong. I didnt mean the game mechanics or engine or anything like that but a game that is broken essentially is a piece of shit. I'm saying when they were testing they had to know these issues were there so the play mechanics are great but the netcode, campaign etc were terrible. Remember how long this game was in development. It was even delayed. In his updates he pretty much is saying how much time he is spending on his new project and admitting things that will not be implemented/fixed.

He's talking about router changes to get into online matches?

BHK3

Banned
Piece of shit might have been strong. I didnt mean the game mechanics or engine or anything like that but a game that is broken essentially is a piece of shit. I'm saying when they were testing they had to know these issues were there so the play mechanics are great but the netcode, campaign etc were terrible. Remember how long this game was in development. It was even delayed. In his updates he pretty much is saying how much time he is spending on his new project and admitting things that will not be implemented/fixed.

He's talking about router changes to get into online matches?

Everyone saw the delay coming, we knew the T rating wasn't going to stick and they barely talked about the game then boom delay. The testing thing is what really bothered me, Jaffe said the team and everyone was testing the shit out of the game but it turns out some of the bugs they decided to leave in ended up breaking the multiplayer.

Helscream

Banned
Everyone saw the delay coming, we knew the T rating wasn't going to stick and they barely talked about the game then boom delay. The testing thing is what really bothered me, Jaffe said the team and everyone was testing the shit out of the game but it turns out some of the bugs they decided to leave in ended up breaking the multiplayer.

I think what possibly happened was that Jaffe and ESP together were so damn focused on how balanced the game should be that perhaps they just had tunnel vision they lost sight of multiplayer stability. I say that now after seeing their decision to not allow players to group up in ranked games. Also with Jaffe leaving in southern California and ESP being in Utah. He probably did not have the direct oversight like he did with God of War 1.

So out of the blue I got my All Sales Final trophy tonight. Which I should have gotten days ago. Still nothing on the other progressive trophies. I wonder if they are admitting trophies are fucked yet or if they're still trying to link us to PS3trophies.org so that we know exactly what we need to get.

BHK3

Banned
I think what possibly happened was that Jaffe and ESP together were so damn focused on how balanced the game should be that perhaps they just had tunnel vision they lost sight of multiplayer stability. I say that now after seeing their decision to not allow players to group up in ranked games. Also with Jaffe leaving in southern California and ESP being in Utah. He probably did not have the direct oversight like he did with God of War 1.

Some of jaffes decisions still bother me to this day, like deciding to do live action because motion comics was already done by infamous and CG is done by blizzard or something retarded like that. So we get a game where only ST's story and the ending is good (imo).

I just want to know what decisions were made to keep the generic cars in and cars like axel get the special treatment, why Warthog is a pain in the dick to get, why so many similar specials, why Talon was so fucking powerful and it took Jaffe a month and a half to -kinda- admit it.

I love the game and all but some decisions just baffle me here like no other game.

Helscream

Banned
Some of jaffes decisions still bother me to this day, like deciding to do live action because motion comics was already done by infamous and CG is done by blizzard or something retarded like that. So we get a game where only ST's story and the ending is good (imo).

I just want to know what decisions were made to keep the generic cars in and cars like axel get the special treatment, why Warthog is a pain in the dick to get, why so many similar specials, why Talon was so fucking powerful and it took Jaffe a month and a half to -kinda- admit it.

I love the game and all but some decisions just baffle me here like no other game.

Well you make valid points, but I think if the multiplayer was smooth out the gate everyone would be in a better mood about things.

Live actions Cutscenes I think are a step in the right direction. Simply because it sets itself apart. Even if those scenes don't have you hanging on top the edge of your seat. I don't think comic/CG cutscenes would have fit the vibe that Twisted Metal has been giving since E3 2010. Twisted Metal is crazy off the wall kinda game, and I felt that at least the Live Action stuff fit the bill. Even if the quality is questionable.

I can understand your frustration with the cars not being so unique. Some specials are a bit to similar to others. But I think such a choice was mad for the sake of balance. Not saying I agree with that decision. One thing that does grab me attention are the really minor details that are in Twisted Metal. Have you ever set back to look at all the detail in every level? Stuff like the indoor swimming pool area and club dance floor in LA Skyline are pretty damn amazing in terms of level of detail. Hell there is a coffee shop in the middle of Metro Square, but you can't really tell because everything gets destroyed. Diesel City has a room with cubicles, desk chairs, printers, water dispensers. Almost makes me not want to run over it so I can admire the detail. The way weapons come outside the side panels of vehicles, the way the passenger hangers out the window to shoot. That small level of detail I think really sets Twisted Metal apart from other games in the best way possible. Still wish the cars set themselves apart a little more though.

Warthog is a pain in the ass to get. I think really Jaffe just wanted something that players could be proud of and wear as a badge of honor. But I don't know if picking Warthog for that honor was the right choice. Talon is imbalanced because of spawning. If Juggernaut is limited, so should Talon. Talon is suppose to have a limit in terms of spawns, but that limit is too damn high. Talon should be like Juggernaut in terms of a ''Oh Shit" vehicle to pull out when your team is falling behind. Talon apparently gets special treatment and just respawns non-stop. Then you end up playing TDM against 3 Talons at once is bullshit. If Talon is "special" like Juggernaut. Then limit those spawns to 2-3 MAX. Juggernaut still has serious issues with handling like your trailer getting hung up on the dumbest thing. Getting stuck turning because your trailer is forcing you to turn and you have a Swarmer Missile turret that is worthless. Why use Juggernaut when you can be 3x more effective with Talon? Especially when you can destroy the Turrets on Juggernaut that really makes it just a big useless freaking target.

I am on the same level of frustration, but I just have a different perspective on what I find acceptable.

Arkham Inmate

Neo Member
I just picked up the EU version of the game and I've heard that there have been some cuts in this version...can anyone confirm what the differences are between the EU and US versions?

Lerozz

I just picked up the EU version of the game and I've heard that there have been some cuts in this version...can anyone confirm what the differences are between the EU and US versions?

By the man David Jaffe himself ...

Hey- a few things:

1- I DO NOT think it's region locked. In fact, if it is, that's brand new cause I remember thinking, 'No way we can do ranked games all over the world cause of lag' and our amazing net coder was like, 'nope, should be ok'....so I don't THINK that's true. In fact, until you guys mentioned it, it never would have occurred to me that we would be region locked cause as of yesterday, we were not. But again, I only found out yesterday we're slipping in Europe so if you've got a link, send it. Otherwise, worldwide game still on! :)

2-RE CONTENT CUTS A: Well nothing like Black. And come on, you think I wanted to change content? FUCK no- for a bunch of reasons 'fuck no'. But it ain't my game (Sony owns the IP and funded it) and I certain countries have- obviously- much stricter guidelines. AND since TM has never been a big seller outside of America, I guess it didn't make sense to have a whole bunch of different discs for each country (i.e. Germany gets disc ver. 3, UK gets disc ver 6, etc.)

3- RE CONTENT CUTS B: It's not a TM:BLACK style change. 99% of the cuts were in the movies and the movies are still intact and I sat with the editor- who was the same editor of the American movies- and we went thru and addressed the notes from Europe and made sure the stories still worked. And to be fair, there have not been that many cuts. For example, in the scene we've released on the net from the intro- where the girl stabs Tooth in the eye- the SCEE version has this but we cut away right before the scissors make contact with Tooth's face. It's CLEAR what she's doing and I think we even keep the sound effects in and such- but the last few frames are gone. The story itself tho totally works and- for some folks even who tend to think this kinda stuff plays better left to your imagination anyway- perhaps it even works better.

4- RE CONTENT CUT C: Only a few content cuts for the game- for example, I think the guy on the gurney from Meat Wagon is dead so you are exploding a corpse covered with TNT vs. a screaming man trapped to the gurney. Sucks on my end but at the same time, I get it and the game play isn't different and the intent is still there, as is the humor. In some ways, it's actually much more macabre when you think about it. Shooting a dude screaming out the back of an ambulance is pretty stupid and fun and cartoony in a dark, twisted way. Turning a stolen from the morgue CORPSE a missile? A bit more disturbing in some ways...not trying to sell you on it, just thinking outloud.

Anyway, it sucks in that I HATE cuts the original game. At the same time, it's nothing like TMB and players in SCEE territories will be able to play the same game and dive into the same Twisted universe as SCEA players. It's a touch different but I and the team still stand JUST as proudly behind the SCEE versions and are very excited that we'll be able to meet up with TM players the world over online and share the game together.

5- As for delay- yeah, it sucks too. Localization just taking a touch longer. Altho I heard March 1 and someone on this board- I think- is saying March 31?!? Does March even have 31 days?!?! It might...shit, I'm dumb. :) I honestly sit here and can't recall...lessee...no I think March goes to 30, right? ANYWAY point being: I heard March 1 (and I KNOW there's a March 1, dammit!)....are you guys hearing something different?

Ok, heading up to San Francisco (thanks Jimmy B!) for the Twisted Metal community event and multiplayer competition and for the IGN live show- hope to see some of ya'll there tonite or in the IGN audience!

David

Arkham Inmate

Neo Member
Thanks..i did see Jaffe's comments but have not been able to get the exact details on differences.

I'm a big fan of the franchise and am willing to import the US version if the differences are significant. Are there any youtube videos highlighting the differences?

BHK3

Banned
Well you make valid points, but I think if the multiplayer was smooth out the gate everyone would be in a better mood about things.

Live actions Cutscenes I think are a step in the right direction. Simply because it sets itself apart. Even if those scenes don't have you hanging on top the edge of your seat. I don't think comic/CG cutscenes would have fit the vibe that Twisted Metal has been giving since E3 2010. Twisted Metal is crazy off the wall kinda game, and I felt that at least the Live Action stuff fit the bill. Even if the quality is questionable.

I can understand your frustration with the cars not being so unique. Some specials are a bit to similar to others. But I think such a choice was mad for the sake of balance. Not saying I agree with that decision. One thing that does grab me attention are the really minor details that are in Twisted Metal. Have you ever set back to look at all the detail in every level? Stuff like the indoor swimming pool area and club dance floor in LA Skyline are pretty damn amazing in terms of level of detail. Hell there is a coffee shop in the middle of Metro Square, but you can't really tell because everything gets destroyed. Diesel City has a room with cubicles, desk chairs, printers, water dispensers. Almost makes me not want to run over it so I can admire the detail. The way weapons come outside the side panels of vehicles, the way the passenger hangers out the window to shoot. That small level of detail I think really sets Twisted Metal apart from other games in the best way possible. Still wish the cars set themselves apart a little more though.

Warthog is a pain in the ass to get. I think really Jaffe just wanted something that players could be proud of and wear as a badge of honor. But I don't know if picking Warthog for that honor was the right choice. Talon is imbalanced because of spawning. If Juggernaut is limited, so should Talon. Talon is suppose to have a limit in terms of spawns, but that limit is too damn high. Talon should be like Juggernaut in terms of a ''Oh Shit" vehicle to pull out when your team is falling behind. Talon apparently gets special treatment and just respawns non-stop. Then you end up playing TDM against 3 Talons at once is bullshit. If Talon is "special" like Juggernaut. Then limit those spawns to 2-3 MAX. Juggernaut still has serious issues with handling like your trailer getting hung up on the dumbest thing. Getting stuck turning because your trailer is forcing you to turn and you have a Swarmer Missile turret that is worthless. Why use Juggernaut when you can be 3x more effective with Talon? Especially when you can destroy the Turrets on Juggernaut that really makes it just a big useless freaking target.

I am on the same level of frustration, but I just have a different perspective on what I find acceptable.

I agree with the live action cutscenes, I'm not mad that they're there, I just find the decision to make them to be...wrong I guess. They did the right thing for the wrong reason if you get what I mean. But some of the live action they shot is not in the game, like Mr. Grimm riding down the road then stopping with that shockwave going through the ground or all that stuff forming calypso tower because it implied that it would get destroyed.

I guess I can see balance being the reason why so much stuff seemed to have been copy pasted, but some of the balance makes no sense. Why does darksides ram, his SIGNATURE special, suck? You have to be going at a set speed before it hurts anyone and all it says is turbo ram, which everyone in the game already has. What, it's only perk is that it doesn't waste turbo? I love the minor details in the game, thats why I just get pissed whenever someone says the graphics are bad, when they aren't. Point out a game that looks anywhere near as good as TM, then show me if it has the same level of detail. Warthog is on treads since its half a tank, it subtly SHAKES while you're driving, just like a real tank. The passengers lean in and out while turning, you can blow up the statue of liberty in metro square, did you even KNOW there was a statue of liberty in metro square? Sweet tooths carnival, despite being hard, was a achievement in my eyes.

I don't think Jaffe knows as much about his game as much as he thinks he does. I've played entire matches as Talon and Juggernaut. Talon I can die as much as I want, I just respawn and keep racking up those points and kills. Juggernaut CAN'T die, most of your deaths will come from getting stuck on random shit, the most I've ever died as him was 2 times, even then I can still pick him and blow everyone up with one touch of my vehicle since twisteds ramming system is weird like that. The side arms could have been better, the sawn off is useless and Jaffe says its useless unless you're touching the other vehicle and even then it won't always register the damage, the rocket launcher is good but the magnum is bad, the laser pistol is there just for show. Having killstreaks and unlocking abilities and cars was a stupid choice all around, you can say unranked all you want but no one plays unranked and thats a fact. Talon ruins Nuke and the mode doesn't work on rooftops because of the layout. The maps are so large that most parts go unnoticed and are empty, I hate that. Thrills and spills should have been 3 different maps, barely anyone picks the haunted house and merlins madness is chosen more then the big version since everyone just fights in the middle while running for the PLENTIFUL health packs.

Helscream

Banned
Yea even though I don't rant that much about it. I am really pist off with Darksides special. His alt special use to do 70-75 damage in the demo. Now its like 60, but most the time I only do 30-50 points of damage. And the time it takes to fully exhaust your ammo, it really is ineffective in terms of damage over time. The mines are really weak. They use to do 25 damage in the demo, now its just 15. I have seen them do 3-7 points of damage in some situation, not sure what its that low. The primary special really is lame. Not only does it just say "Turbo Ram Damage", but the only time you hear the special sound effective and see the orange font of "Darkside Ram!" is when you do it against Reaper, and that is the only time it does the full 85 points of damage. . The ram most of the time does not really move the enemy vehicle around, most of the times I actually run OVER the enemy leaving my rear exposed. Also when you use the special you loose all your momentum. Even if you never let go of turbo Darkside slows down immediately after the special and you pretty much have to re-accelerate back to top speed.

I kinda wish it was like TM:Black where you could actually run into a enemy opponent and T-slide them into walls for extra damage. You can kinda see why I complained about Axel's special in the past. The comparison of how accessible the War wheel is and the damage it does. Another thing I can relate do is having opponents get stuck underneath me shooting me or getting stuck on a pedestrian vehicle or so lame shit. Really annoying.

Sidearms are kinda weak. I understand they should not be your main device your killing enemy players, but it should be powerful enough to assist you in battle. The Revolver Magnum is best, but really difficult to use. I can't really think of a suggestion, but if sidearms had a purpose outside of just doing damage then maybe you could keep it balance while finding a persistent use for them.

The unlock system on top of the unranked/ranked games with the party system that doesn't party you up with team mates really makes shit redundant in my mind. Because seriously think about it. What was the point of me rushing to unlock Juggernaut realizing that I won't be able to coordinate with my clan mates in a ranked match to maximize the effectiveness of Juggernaut? Wait your telling me I can play Unranked games where everything is unlocked at the beginning and I can switch teams? That seems kinda ass-backwards. And as I mentioned earlier, if 95% of active players are in ranked matches. So with only 5% in unranked games will I have experienced actual team work?

All that shit David Jaffe talked about for months about this depth in gameplay seems so null and void when you cannot team up in ranked games to do it. If Juggernaut is suppose to be this super-vehicle that you should use when your team is falling behind in a match. Isn't that normally a decision that is made between coordinate team in the middle of a match? Because in unranked you have the freedom to do whatever you want. It seems like that value that is given certain vehicles is wasted when you take the team-work part out of the equation. It just seems so damn counter intuitive when you add all this shit together.

Talon does/can ruin a game of Nuke. Considering that the spawn/lives for Talon in Nuke is still too high right now.

I feel rather indifferent about Map layout right now. My only complaint about smaller maps is that you end up with more vehicles on the field then you do available weapons. Its like everyone has 200 hitpoints, but you can only gather enough ammo to do 100. And I do not mean health packs/mega gun bullets/power missiles. I mean weapons period. Everyone just ends up poking each other to death with their sidearms.

BHK3

Banned
I kinda wish it was like TM:Black where you could actually run into a enemy opponent and T-slide them into walls for extra damage. You can kinda see why I complained about Axel's special in the past. The comparison of how accessible the War wheel is and the damage it does. Another thing I can relate do is having opponents get stuck underneath me shooting me or getting stuck on a pedestrian vehicle or so lame shit. Really annoying.

All that shit David Jaffe talked about for months about this depth in gameplay seems so null and void when you cannot team up in ranked games to do it. If Juggernaut is suppose to be this super-vehicle that you should use when your team is falling behind in a match. Isn't that normally a decision that is made between coordinate team in the middle of a match? Because in unranked you have the freedom to do whatever you want. It seems like that value that is given certain vehicles is wasted when you take the team-work part out of the equation. It just seems so damn counter intuitive when you add all this shit together.

Talon does/can ruin a game of Nuke. Considering that the spawn/lives for Talon in Nuke is still too high right now.

I feel rather indifferent about Map layout right now. My only complaint about smaller maps is that you end up with more vehicles on the field then you do available weapons. Its like everyone has 200 hitpoints, but you can only gather enough ammo to do 100. And I do not mean health packs/mega gun bullets/power missiles. I mean weapons period. Everyone just ends up poking each other to death with their sidearms.

I never have to do my special against reaper, he just explodes the second he touches me. Axel has been overpowered in every game he's been, it's kinda his thing. Sure his war wheel has some issues of not registering damage but if he can just boost into a crowd, run over everyone doing more and more damage, while I warthog cannot do that since I seem to use every car as a launch pad when I do my super, then something is fucked.

I agree with it seeming null and void, they just need to make a system where there're more unranked games or something, I'm still in the minority where I DON'T want parties in ranked games. Games that allow that end up not being fun, like gears or uncharted, or in special cases in Uncharted where it's a very serious issues.

Talon is a dead horse that's being beaten by now.

I do agree on the smaller maps there not being enough pickups, I know that running around ramming and machine gunning in the small versions is usually the main method of attack. I don't remember the name of the map but the map where it's only the size of a city block, most of the weapons are on higher parts of the map that are difficult to access because of vehicle size and it being a clusterfuck of cars.

wcw

Neo Member

This game is far from a piece of shit. Its a good game, yeah it has flaws but they will patch at least some of them (more so the balancing issues). People shit on this game but its by and far the best Twisted Metal. The old Twisted's were great games but they had limitations and flaws as well. No game in the series is perfect.

I think this game has a great multi-player and is very addictive. And I do think you are right the creative process was likely compromised but there is a lot of good to great elements about this game.

Rattles

Stolen from TMA
Ry5VE.jpg

k5KNL.jpg
It's off this guys site http://3dnomad.com/

Edit: The bad stuff
Most likely to be added to the site will be four twisted vehicles; Twister as seen in the quickly rendered image above, Yellow Jacket, Chrazy 8 and an all new motorcycle PaleRider. These were going to be much desired additions to TM but were cut when Sony in all their wisdom decide not to support DLC.

Lerozz

Thanks..i did see Jaffe's comments but have not been able to get the exact details on differences.

I'm a big fan of the franchise and am willing to import the US version if the differences are significant. Are there any youtube videos highlighting the differences?

Couldn't find anything. Also no websites picking up on those differences. Read on some other forum where it was just confirmed what Jaffe already said.

I guess most people got the US version already when it came out.

I've been too busy working and havent even been able to pop TM into my ps3. Looking at the trophies the only thing that looks bad is the win 30 ranked matches in 30 days provision. Is that actually really difficult? or can you game the system by having 1 v 1 ranked matches.

Endo Punk

It's pretty clear the game is not selling when TMB editions are still plentyful in store a month after release. But on the plus side I bought one and can play TMB too. I just hope Sony doesn't kill off the IP as I see a lot of potential for a next gen version. Anyway let the MP mayhem begin!

Helscream

Banned
So I decided to play the first the mission's of Sweet Tooth's story on Twisted difficulty. I am thoroughly convinced that in single-player your chance to be bounced around like a ping-pong ball is magnified ten-fold. I wasn't having a hard time getting into/out of fire fights with plenty of time to spare to get gold. But it seems like the AI tries to cluster fuck you with any weapon that can flip you up in the air. The only time I would ever get close to dying was a result of being immobilized because everything bounces me around.

It is strange because as much I have played online even when being nailed by such weapons I do not get the kind of physical reaction that I do in single player. I understand the need to raise the bar to make that difficulty appropriate. But I am really convinced that the physics are much more obnoxious offline then online play.

Some other strange things I have noticed while playing online. I have experienced it before in online games, but I think occasionally any weapon/special you use against a player may deal no damage even if it is a direct hit and they didn't not use shield. I say this because I try to gather at least 2 power missiles before going into battle. And there have been several occasions where I have nailed players with a power missile and did nothing. If a player uses a shield you will normally see "0 Damage". What I speak of is a literal dud. The projectile hits the player and does not do anything at all. I have also experienced this with Reaper and the flaming chainsaw. I have at times nailed enemy players at a distance w/o using EMP freeze and when the chainsaw hit the player and exploded no damage was dealt. The only thing I can think of is packet loss. Just thought I would throw this out there to anyone who might have experienced it as well.

Top Bottom