• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

BHK3

Banned
Update and Axel are tomorrow.

Thanks Jaffe for making me wait a total of 63 days to get a vehicle already on my disc.

BHK3

Banned
Yup, along with single player campaigns for her and every other car.

Think jaffe is gonna make a twitter post telling us like he always does.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm excited for the MP tweaks, mostly. I've had Axel since day one, and last night was honestly the funnest night I've had playing that game online.

Endo Punk

Finished the story...

Holy Shit the last boss was insane!!!!! I had no idea you had to drop the Sweet Tooth vehicles on the giant head, took me a good hour on that boss but it was fun.

If the update is tomorrow then Im gonna do a whole lot of MP gaming. I haven't really touched the online play except for 2-3 matches. All the shit the game has given me the past two weeks aside, titles like these are exactly why I love gaming.

Rattles

Sad thing is this patch still ain't going to fix the Mp.. Its just gonna give them more info on why people are having problems.

ElRenoRaven

Story of da game

Yup. Sadly we're long past the understanding phase. Everyone involved with the game should be ashamed that it has taken them this long and it's still not fixed. They really should.

Reminds me I so need to play some online again. I've been busy playing some split screen with friends.

KalBalboa

Banned
You guys are using some pretty harsh language- is it really that much of a burden to play this online? I played it the last three nights and had a blast.

Tokubetsu

You guys are using some pretty harsh language- is it really that much of a burden to play this online? I played it the last three nights and had a blast.

I wouldn't really call it a burden but it definitely has problems that a lot of other modern mp games don't. Not to mention features that would have been nice, but if you able to see passed those/get over them, there's something to love. It's just a bit heartbreaking because the game had potential to be something even greater you know? That's the sad part, it could have been more/we expected mored. It'll still probably be one of my favorites at the end of the year.

ElRenoRaven

I wouldn't really call it a burden but it definitely has problems that a lot of other modern mp games don't. Not to mention features that would have been nice, but if you able to see passed those/get over them, there's something to love. It's just a bit heartbreaking because the game had potential to be something even greater you know? That's the sad part, it could have been more/we expected mored. It'll still probably be one of my favorites at the end of the year.

Exactly. If a franchise needed a smooth online experience it was this game. Twisted Metal has never done huge numbers. This game had the chance to bring a lot more people into the fold and if anything it's turned people off to it with the problems that still continue to exist. I got lucky and eventually it started doing ok for me but even then a 70 to 80 percent connection rate is not a good thing. There are a lot out there who still have a hell of a time even getting in a game still much less staying in a room for more then one. That shouldn't be happening this long after launch.

I love the franchise and own every single game in the series but I'll be damned if I'm not going to tell the truth. I'm not just going to pretend that everything is just perfect when it isn't. I do love the game though. Don't think I don't.

ElRenoRaven

Patch out yet?

No Clue. I know David said on Twitter that it might be dropping today. I haven't gotten on yet to see.

*Edit*

Ok Got on and yea it seems to be out. 1.05 it seems. And damn I still can whoop ass with Axel. It never gets old. There also seems to be a gold skin now that makes your cars pure gold.

KalBalboa

Banned
I played tonight post-patch with my friend in splitscreen online. Plays as fun as it did before, but there was no noticeable change in the lobbies. Some more Axels, for sure.

ElRenoRaven

I played tonight post-patch with my friend in splitscreen online. Plays as fun as it did before, but there was no noticeable change in the lobbies. Some more Axels, for sure.

Yea there are a ton of Axels that I saw. Course I ironically saw a lot before too. lmao

BHK3

Banned
No Clue. I know David said on Twitter that it might be dropping today. I haven't gotten on yet to see.

*Edit*

Ok Got on and yea it seems to be out. 1.05 it seems. And damn I still can whoop ass with Axel. It never gets old. There also seems to be a gold skin now that makes your cars pure gold.

Oh fuck, pure gold? Didn't TM4 have something like that with platinum cars or gold cars? I swear tm had this before, awh shit this is sweet.

ElRenoRaven

This game is still such a damn joy to play online, once you get the ball rolling.

It really is. That's why the issues are as frustrating as they are. The game from a gameplay standpoint is probably the best Twisted Metal ever. Keep in mind I'm talking Multiplayer wise. Sure the specials could use more uniqueness and the Single Player is great for what there is minus some bullshit but when playing that multiplayer it is just pure amazingness when you're getting in and enjoying it it.

ElRenoRaven

TMB always felt a bit too jittery for me gameplay wise. It was still amazing though. I'd say it's probably my third favorite in the series behind PS3 and TM2.

If I had to rank every game in the series in order from best to worst I'd go like this. Keep in mind worst for me means probably a 7/10 game. I liked them all. Even the 989 games. Sure the stories sucked but the gameplay wasn't that bad I felt. I also really liked a few of the levels in those games.

TM PS3
TM2
TM: Black
TM1
TM: Head On
TM:SB
TM 3
TM 4

Unicorn

Pretty
TMB always felt a bit too jittery for me gameplay wise. It was still amazing though. I'd say it's probably my third favorite in the series behind PS3 and TM2.

If I had to rank every game in the series in order from best to worst I'd go like this. Keep in mind worst for me means probably a 7/10 game. I liked them all. Even the 989 games. Sure the stories sucked but the gameplay wasn't that bad I felt. I also really liked a few of the levels in those games.

TM PS3
TM2
TM: Black
TM1
TM: Head On
TM:SB
TM 3
TM 4

Pretty much how I would rank them all gameplay wise. Perhaps TM3 would be above Small Brawl

KalBalboa

Banned
At the risk of over-whoring myself, I did a video review for Twisted Metal last week that takes a nostalgic approach to the whole thing. I'm double-posting it because I think it got buried at the end of the previous page.

And yeah, that list is more or less my take on the series, although I think TM: Head On is a better game than TM1 due to the online play and split screen (depending on where you played it).

Yeah myself and most of my diehard vet brethren have stopped playing...

For many the connection issues are a real problem (bigger issue for new comers to the series more-so), but ultimately the gameplay in this one was not up to par. It was missing too many gameplay elements from previous games and added nothing new. My biggest gripe is that the cars are just too similar and the special weapons are too easy/boring/auto aimy (and are sometimes not unique)... and after that there are just a multitude of issues (dodging, weapon speed, too much auto aim). Gameplay wise id rate the game better than TMHO, but lightyears behind TM2PC or TMBO.

I appreciate them making the game, but can't help but be utterly crushed with disappointment when I and many were prepared to play this game for a decade and lasted all of two months.

KalBalboa

Banned
added nothing new

I'd have to disagree with you there. Here's a short list:

Customizable sidearms
Flying vehicles
All the new skill-based weapons
The races
The "cage" fights
Custom skins
Shotguns
The sniper rifle
Super-ram moves
Multiple specials per vehicle
Nuke mode

And that's just off the top of my head.

BHK3

Banned
I'd have to disagree with you there. Here's a short list:

Customizable sidearms - All suck
Flying vehicles - Broken
All the new skill-based weapons - Like what?
The races - Sucks. Not in MP.
The "cage" fights - Not in MP
Custom skins - Eh
Shotguns - Ok
The sniper rifle - Ok
Super-ram moves - Ramming is a bit too much in this game, this ended up killing a character (darkside)
Multiple specials per vehicle - Leads to everything being too similar, auto aimy, too powerful, etc. etc.
Nuke mode - Ok

And that's just off the top of my head.
Yep.

KalBalboa

Banned

Funny, he didn't mention MP specifically, he just claimed there was nothing new. My extemporaneous laundry list says otherwise.

If you're going to be that miserable then suit yourself. Those are all new things added to a game that you're claiming did nothing new, which I think it did.

Im talking about adding nothing to gameplay mechanics. In those terms, there is LESS.

Skins were in TM2PC :p But yea not gameplay mechanics.

First, there is literally zero dodging to gameplay. Most weapons are far too fast and auto aim far too much. Previous games dodging came into play, driving skills. Now you can just spam weapons and succeed. Freezes? Homings? Most Specials? These require zero assistance to land on their target other than point and clicking. Removing dodging makes the game far less interactive, and less tactical. The skill gap has been shrunken massively.

Weapons for most part like I said, require zero assistance to land on their target. In ALL prior games (sans TMHO), you had to really work to land weapons like freezes and specials. In TMB, "Bouncing" your target in the air via gas cans or SATs made it so there was a brief window of opportunity to help that freeze land (you cant dodge or drive at angles if ur popped up in mid air). Multi-purpose weapons, they did damage, but ALSO helped you land other things. Now? Freezes are undodgeable, you just press a button. In TM2, to help you land freezes and other weapons you might fire a homing missile or napalm (both caused bounce), and then followup with another weapon. Now you can just spam your weapons in generally any order and they will land... Bouncing a car is irrelevant as weapon speed is 2-3x faster/accurate than any other TM game... so any bounce is irrelevant as things will land regardless.

Thats just one example of many many absent gameplay mechanics. But it is probably the biggest one. Although I think if they did have dodging, it wouldnt work so well with these levels which are cluttered with stuff that gets in the way of missiles... the game wasnt designed for it. Sadly.

So yea. ONE ASPECT... you could dodge every weapon (REALLY HARD TO DO, but POSSIBLE) Now, that option is GONE. So your options are shield or take cover (options that were ALSO in other games), dodging and superior driving/timing were a factor.

This comes from someone who has played TMBO and TM2PC (both online TM games) for more than a decade combined. New game doesnt even come close to the previous two's complexity. Really sad. Its pretty much like 95% of the online vets of those games in agreement too... so im not some wild card opinion.

This game may depress people due to the network issues, but to people like me, it was THE ONE GAME i was waiting for since September 2002 (Since TMBO launched), so imagine how bad it hurt me...

EDIT: And TM2PC had Ram combos out the ho-ha. Amazing combos/kills that were 1-shot rams that completely eclipse this game.

KalBalboa

Banned
All the new skill-based weapons - Like what?

Oh, and to answer your question and not bother with subjective "this stinks" arguments, here are (again, off the top of my head) the weapons that involve timing/charging/trade offs:

Remote bomb: Revamped for TM PS3; let's you stick to enemies, "charge" it for higher damage, or even ram it onto another vehicle.

Sniper Rifle: By maintaining a line of sight, you fire first to begin a countdown and then "level up" the damage done to an enemy vehicle, making even headshots possible in a Twisted Metal game.

Richochets: Reinvented for TM PS3, these are now chargable and remote detonated, making the time you take to charge it a deciding factor in when you can fire and how much damage it'll do.

Stalker Missile: An entirely new weapon to the usual arsenal, this missile is basically a chargable super-homing missile. Power missile is to fire as stalker is to homing.

Swarmer Missles: Chargeable to increase the amount of missiles fired.

There are some other skill based weapons (ones that are just aim and shoot), but they're basically weapons from previous games (Napalms, etc). I really like how almost every weapon now involves choice in its execution, down to the multiple choices you get for specials. The game provides a lot more options than before, and therefor more variety. even ramming now involves trading energy for an infinitely refundable attack as opposed ot just, you know, driving into people whenever possible.

I'm not going to argue with you that you should like it or not, but those are the weapons I'm speaking of.

KalBalboa

Banned

Now there's an actual debate to be had. I never played much of TM2 PC, but the Ram combos sound kind of cool.

As for dodging, I consider the easier access to jumping and shields a good replacement, and I often do find plenty to use for cover in Twisted Metal 2012. I think it comes down to favorite maps, cars, etc and just what your personal experiences give you.

I thought the gameplay added enough with the new weapons, cars, and even things like the flying Sweet Tooth. Having a manually aimable camera was different too (even if it was only vertical).

My biggest gripes with the game? The lobby system, having a hard time introducing new people to the deep controls, and the lack of Yellow Jacket/Thumper/Mr. Slamm, etc.

KalBalboa

Banned
It really is. That's why the issues are as frustrating as they are. The game from a gameplay standpoint is probably the best Twisted Metal ever. Keep in mind I'm talking Multiplayer wise. Sure the specials could use more uniqueness and the Single Player is great for what there is minus some bullshit but when playing that multiplayer it is just pure amazingness when you're getting in and enjoying it it.

PsychoRaven- what's your PSN handle? We should play sometime.

Those "skill" based weapons, imo, pale drastically compared to TMB's Reticle, Sat, and Zoomy; most are just auto aim and really lack depth; sniper rifle, remote bomb (undodgeable if you have lock) altho extremely fun ill give you that, stalkers are undodgeable if they are fired back from that Absorb shield. Swarmers are a bad imitation of Reticle (which was far better and also had more missiles longer it charged, and it required aiming a target so swarmer is a noob version of Ret).

The SAT was probably the best weapon of all time in all TM games. It also gave choice and options. If you equipped it, you have a GIANT target in front of you, that EVERYONE saw. You could rush towards someone, they would SEE this, and maybe decide to throw up shield... this isnt even using the weapon, just equipping it. Thats a game of feints and making your enemy do what you want them to do.

Audio depth was a big part of TMB. You would HEAR someone equip a Mr Grim Scythe (so you could prepare), you could HEAR someone charging a RK special, Reticle, Sat charging, or a Brimstone Sinner coming towards you... also, these missiles traveled at reasonable speeds so a player could REACT and 1)Dodge 2)Take Cover 3) Shield... now you really only have 2 of those options, and they are reduced by fact that new weapons are way too fast and fire too quickly.

Actually, ramming costing turbo was a big big factor of TM2PC. Thats not new. Ramming in TM2PC did more way more damage if you rammed with turbo (turbo allowed Hammerhead to drive OVER and crush a target, Axel too, rather than just smash into them), BUT the drawback of using turbo was that it helped you dodge (didnt NEED it, but it helped), so you had to use it sparingly. Furthermore, Napalms were used to burn turbo by lighting cars on fire; and if a player extinguished the fire with turbo, it would consume like 20 turbo... if you didnt extinguish you would have a fire DoT on you that would slowly eat your health bar, so it was a risk/reward option. Putting out napalm fire with turbo = less ramming and less dodging capability.

I know it sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo. But you really have had to play those older games, online, to see the difference. And believe me, its no coincidence that most vets dont exactly see this game adding gameplay depth. But instead, removing most of it. You may have played the old games and not seen the depth that was there because it was in a splitscreen or single player setting (which honestly nothing can be seen for how it really plays out)... And thats nothing personal, so please don't take it that way.

EDIT: And yes, had i NEVER played those two games online. I probably would have loved this game unconditionally. And Thanks for being chipper, neo-gaffers are good to talk gameplay with.

Unicorn

For the most part, the levels are really lacking. there's not many that I find myself wanting to play on.

Ghost Town is one of the best TM maps to date though.

wcw

Neo Member
Those "skill" based weapons, imo, pale drastically compared to TMB's Reticle, Sat, and Zoomy; most are just auto aim and really lack depth; sniper rifle, remote bomb (undodgeable if you have lock) altho extremely fun ill give you that, stalkers are undodgeable if they are fired back from that Absorb shield. Swarmers are a bad imitation of Reticle (which was far better and also had more missiles longer it charged, and it required aiming a target so swarmer is a noob version of Ret).

The SAT was probably the best weapon of all time in all TM games. It also gave choice and options. If you equipped it, you have a GIANT target in front of you, that EVERYONE saw. You could rush towards someone, they would SEE this, and maybe decide to throw up shield... this isnt even using the weapon, just equipping it. Thats a game of feints and making your enemy do what you want them to do.

Audio depth was a big part of TMB. You would HEAR someone equip a Mr Grim Scythe (so you could prepare), you could HEAR someone charging a RK special, Reticle, Sat charging, or a Brimstone Sinner coming towards you... also, these missiles traveled at reasonable speeds so a player could REACT and 1)Dodge 2)Take Cover 3) Shield... now you really only have 2 of those options, and they are reduced by fact that new weapons are way too fast and fire too quickly.

Actually, ramming costing turbo was a big big factor of TM2PC. Thats not new. Ramming in TM2PC did more way more damage if you rammed with turbo (turbo allowed Hammerhead to drive OVER and crush a target, Axel too, rather than just smash into them), BUT the drawback of using turbo was that it helped you dodge (didnt NEED it, but it helped), so you had to use it sparingly. Furthermore, Napalms were used to burn turbo by lighting cars on fire; and if a player extinguished the fire with turbo, it would consume like 20 turbo... if you didnt extinguish you would have a fire DoT on you that would slowly eat your health bar, so it was a risk/reward option. Putting out napalm fire with turbo = less ramming and less dodging capability.

I know it sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo. But you really have had to play those older games, online, to see the difference. And believe me, its no coincidence that most vets dont exactly see this game adding gameplay depth. But instead, removing most of it. You may have played the old games and not seen the depth that was there because it was in a splitscreen or single player setting (which honestly nothing can be seen for how it really plays out)... And thats nothing personal, so please don't take it that way.

EDIT: And yes, had i NEVER played those two games online. I probably would have loved this game unconditionally. And Thanks for being chipper, neo-gaffers are good to talk gameplay with.

I always had issues with TM2 and TMB respectively. I felt like TMB lacked a ramming element and the cars handled too similarly (Among other things). I thought TM2 had weird handling and the game just devolved into who get the freeze locked on. I agree that those games had depth but only if you played them with very particular rules and very particular people.

I played both online (TM PC) and while I loved both games I was really looking forward to this new one for PS3 as fixing the issues with both. It really did a good job with the ramming and balancing the freeze. I like a lot of the new stuff they added, plus the new coat of paint, and the online right out of the box.

But networking issues aside (That grace period expired at least a month ago) I hope Jaffe finds a way to get the homers (And if he could a couple of the special weapons) to not be as lock on as they currently are. Its not the only flaw of the game but its got to be the biggest one for me (Outside of the Talon/Sweetbot spammers).

It really is my favorite TM but its not prefect. Good to see someone who got the older TM games, I could tell you really played/still play those a lot. Although my assessment of the older ones from what I use to play is different I think its more so my opinion.

BHK3

Banned

Everything Roadie said.

For the most part, the levels are really lacking. there's not many that I find myself wanting to play on.

Ghost Town is one of the best TM maps to date though.
This, I like LA Skyline, blackrock and metro square the best. I hate the others one except for sunsprings a little.

I find myself quiting as soon as Thrills and Spills Park is selected.. Fuck I hate that map.

Unless it's merlins madness, I avoid that place like the plague.

Jaffe jaffe JAFFE!

You GLORIOUS son of a bitch! I got my 5 unlock points back! I finally unlocked vermin and my last skin!!!!!

So I tried out Axel, and while I like him, he highlights my camera issues the best. Where the camera is either too close or too far, no happy medium. I just wish his signature shockwave special was much better, a paltry 20 damage...

Gold skins are tight. Golden axel and some other cars I picked, too nice.

KalBalboa

Banned
I always had issues with TM2 and TMB respectively. I felt like TMB lacked a ramming element and the cars handled too similarly (Among other things). I thought TM2 had weird handling and the game just devolved into who get the freeze locked on. I agree that those games had depth but only if you played them with very particular rules and very particular people.

I played both online (TM PC) and while I loved both games I was really looking forward to this new one for PS3 as fixing the issues with both. It really did a good job with the ramming and balancing the freeze. I like a lot of the new stuff they added, plus the new coat of paint, and the online right out of the box.

But networking issues aside (That grace period expired at least a month ago) I hope Jaffe finds a way to get the homers (And if he could a couple of the special weapons) to not be as lock on as they currently are. Its not the only flaw of the game but its got to be the biggest one for me (Outside of the Talon/Sweetbot spammers).

It really is my favorite TM but its not prefect. Good to see someone who got the older TM games, I could tell you really played/still play those a lot. Although my assessment of the older ones from what I use to play is different I think its more so my opinion.
Yeah, it's really refreshing to find other TM "veterans" out there who have a familiarity with Black and 2. I always felt like I alienated my friends when it came to my attachment to the series, and reading the comments about dodging were really humbling in a way.

The more I play TM PS3 the more I like it and the harder it is to go back to Black. I'm glad 2, Black, and TM PS3 all play so differently though, it gives us reasons to play them all for different reasons.

I'm FoomMan on the PSN for anyone wanting to play sometime. I was on again last night and had an absolute blast in some Last Man Standing matches.

I only got this game last week, but I was watching older trailers for it today, and something stuck out in one: There were filmed, prepared segments for The Preacher in single player. Anyone know what happened to him? Will he be DLC later on?

KalBalboa

Banned
I only got this game last week, but I was watching older trailers for it today, and something stuck out in one: There were filmed, prepared segments for The Preacher in single player. Anyone know what happened to him? Will he be DLC later on?

Have you beaten the entire campaign yet?

Endo Punk

Twisted difficulty is insane and the juggernaut is hell to manoeuvre. Forget about Gold I don't think I can get bronze for all 3 characters.

Unicorn

Twisted difficulty is insane and the juggernaut is hell to manoeuvre. Forget about Gold I don't think I can get bronze for all 3 characters.

Don't worry so much about controlling Juggs. The AI seems to love running right at you. Just try and drive around and pick up turbo to do all DAT RAM damage

BHK3

Banned
Don't worry so much about controlling Juggs. The AI seems to love running right at you. Just try and drive around and pick up turbo to do all DAT RAM damage

This. I was a damn idiot for going straight to hard and not beating the game first. It gets piss easy with Juggernaut.

Endo Punk

I hope Sony are aware that the latest patch effectively killed the MP part of the game for Euro players. Just can't log on to servers anymore. How the fuck did this patch get through QA?

Tokubetsu

I hope Sony are aware that the latest patch effectively killed the MP part of the game for Euro players. Just can't log on to servers anymore. How the fuck did this patch get through QA?

Sony doesn't care about black peo- I mean, Twisted Metal players and fans.

Top Bottom