• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Donation Drama: Donator takes back $11,000 in donations

As you may or may not know, I currently stream a lot of Pokémon X/Y. Today I woke up to various messages telling me be careful of donations from a user named JethYo. Luckily I checked and haven't received any donations from this person, but many of my peers and friends have.

Apparently many streamers whom are taking donations through PayPal have had donations from this person charged back today, totally supposedly around $11,000, after the money had been donated for at least 50+ days. PayPal is listing the claims as unauthorized payments, and they are currently being disputed by multiple streamers.

From doing a bit of research on PayPal, they seem to almost always side with the "buyer" or this case donator, so for a lot of streamers who are just starting out this hurts their career deeply.

For instance, CENSORED BY REQUEST is a 14 year old from the UK whom had used the money to get a capture device for his 3DS as well as a monitor. Now he has his PayPal account basically closed and owes them $720 he can't possibly have, as he wasn't partnered and this was his only form of income.

PayPal has supposedly told Derpanite that this isn't the first time this has happened with this account and the first time was around $5,000.

The person who has been donating is a bit of mystery, though had been in contact with many of the streamers he donated to on Skype, having blocked them all this morning. I've reached out to his supposed Skype name with no answer. Upon doing some research I've found his supposed Twitter, where he states that he turned 15 at the start of this month.

People are theorizing this is really just a teen using his parents credit cards to provide unauthorized donations. This really leaves streamers, many of which have already spent this money on stream expenses, in a bad position. Many streamers have a negative amount on their account with no way to pay it, at least immediately.

While streamers are fighting this, the history of PayPal seems to point this not being in their favor. It is a really awful situation that makes me personally sad to see my peers and friends struggling with this issue that happened out of no where. Many of which say they don't know if they are going to accept donations from here on out, and if they do they plan on not spending the money until months after the donation has been given.

Here are some statements from streamers themselves:

14 year old CENSORED BY REQUEST had this to say:
CENSORED BY REQUEST said:
Starting with the streamer Derpanite, a person by the username of Jethyo donated a high sum of money over a few transactions. Jethyo donated to CENSORED BY REQUEST (Me), a_playa_named_john, Mittenkiss, Gohan15243, Just2Lumpy, Mikasa1337, Wally92x, Duddi123, xChrisKobain, Pokeballler, LolRazor, xMetrikTV, InsaneVampenese and many other Pokemon streamers. Unfortunately 3 months down the line, each person has received a chargeback from Jethyo meaning they lost each and every donation, including myself ($720) the total counted was at least $11,000 and losing this after spending it, put us streamers in a difficult situation. All we know is after talking to Paypal, Jethyo has done this before, gotten away with it and none of us knew a thing. We lost it all.

MittenKiss, a 22 year old variety and Pokemon streamer explained her involvement with the issue and what she has heard / experienced with this person.

MittenKiss said:
I woke up to a tweet this morning with Zolrain, ChrisKobain and his wife saying that Jethyo is trying to screw us over and to check ourpaypal which I did. And I saw a negative balance. My heart sunk and I went on Twitch. A streamer named, VeakXP sent a message to a few casters about Jethyo. A lot of the information is crazy. It's pretty much a game of telephone at this point because I heard that Derpanite is being charged? I don't know the details on that.

As for my relationship with Jethyo. I was streaming RE Revelations, and he donated 150 dollars. And then another time donated another 100. So in total he donated 250 dollars to me. I was skeptical because he was not verified by paypal, but that could just be he didn't have an
account. So I didn't pay it any mind. I went to other channels just to poke around and say hi, then noticed that Jethyo had donated to many other casters. I've seen 600, and heard of him donating 1000 dollars. So I was really really sketched out by that.
A lot of viewers/chatters, even streamers talk about JethYo. We don't know too much about him except that he's 15. That's all I got for now

Yes definitely I do feel bad for CENSORED BY REQUEST. He's so young and he does not deserve this.
It's not like he pocketed the money either. It went for something he wanted to do and he deserves it.

I'd also like to encourage readers to donate to help these streamers out of debt and to allow them to continue to do what they love, as well as potentially keep their livelihood in general. I've made a list of people and their amounts lost (if known) below.

CENSORED BY REQUEST: $750
WidditSama: $610
MittenKiss: $150
a_playa_named_john
http://www.twitch.tv/Gohan15243
Just2Lumpy
Mikasa1337
Wally92x
Duddi123
xChrisKobain
Pokeballler
LolRazor
xMetrikTV
InsaneVampenese

Please let me know if you were affected by this and the amount you lost, as well as your Twitch URL and I'll get you added. I hope people out there provide financial and legal help / advice to all of you. It breaks my heart to see fellow streamers who are legit and entertaining struggling because of someone else's mistake. Much love, as always.

UPDATE #1: Someone has provided me with a Facebook page that matches the e-mail that was used to donate. It appears that the case is this is indeed a case of a minor using someone's credit card. A question still stands though: Why did PayPal accept up to $11,000 in donations if they knew this person had done the same thing to the tune of $5,000 in the past?

Branduil

I always tell people to never, ever use Paypal if there are any other options whatsoever. They are a scummy company that should never be trusted to do the right thing.

I was always curious about donations sometimes i see people dropping 500/10000 constantly (thinking of the time i was watching summit) recently lirik...the thing that was going through my mind was what if the person suddenly has a change of mind

Darknight

People who depend on donations are a joke. Sorry but I feel nothing for that 14 year old getting charged back. This is like first world problems.

Stream your games if you wish and get a job.

Stuff like that is why I hate paypal and refuse to do business via Ebay. Their customer is right regardless of anything approach is absurd.

Branduil

People who depend on donations are a joke. Sorry but I feel nothing for that 14 year old getting charged back. This is like first world problems.

Jobs sure are easy to get if you're a 14-year-old these days.

Aeana

You're telling a 14-year-old to get a job?

Carlius

Banned
theyre such aholes at paypal, every little thing they have to worry about. thats why i avoid it like the plague.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The credit card that was used to provide these donations is possibly fraudulent or was stolen. A dispute was most likely made with the credit card issuer as they have 90 days to do so and turned to Paypal to get that money back.

A lot of people do have jobs and still stream, but either way, there's no reason they shouldn't try to make a career out of it if it's what they want. If people are willing to pay for it or if they can find a steady revenue source via streaming, that's a job. Good for them.

Sketchbag

Banned
You're at risk when you blindly accept donations. I believe Sodapoppin was investigated by IRS and other feds because Amhai (guy supposedly from the Middle East) donated thousands to him. Turned out to be fine, but just be warned there will sometimes be shitty situations when dealing with donations.

ISOM

I don't think anywhere in the OP it said that any of the streamers depended on donations. But if you get a donation and then spend that donation on expenses especially related to streaming, you should not be scammed out of your money because someone decided to fake donate.

A lot of people do have jobs and still stream, but either way, there's no reason they shouldn't try to make a career out of it if it's what they want. If people are willing to pay for it or if they can find a steady revenue source via streaming, that's a job. Good for them.

How does one make a career out of playing videogames on camera? Genuinely curious because I am tired of going to an office and working a real job like some kind of chump apparently.

Why the hell can they do a chargeback three months later? That's messed up.

I thought you had to be at least 18 to have a Paypal account for precisely this reason. Can Paypal even legally pursue a 14-year-old for the money?

Sketchbag

Banned
How does one make a career out of playing videogames on camera? Genuinely curious because I am tired of going to an office and working a real job like some kind of chump apparently.

You can easily make a living off Twitch. There are streamers who used to do "giveaways" where people would donate to have a chance to get a graphics card. The streamers would make bank and have to buy a graphics card.

Those who get donations and what not and acknowledge once in a while are fine by me. Those who do giveaways, ask for subscribers, have giant donation sounds, etc. are annoying. The worst offender has to be Towelliee.

rayisbeast

Neo Member
GoodIdeaGaming (Gig) had 9k refunded from him a couple weeks ago. He has a two hour vod explaining the story if you want to hear about it.

Anfang

Be witty, be good at a game, or just be a fuckin troll. See kaceytron for a good troll lesson.

Entertain people with exceptional skill or a personality that people are drawn to. AKA provide entertainment to others and collect ad revenue or donations. How does one make a career out of standing on a stage and telling jokes, or pretending to be someone else on camera, or sitting in front of a camera and reading news stories someone else wrote, or pretending to be able to sing with the aid of technology, or announcing the next contestant on the Price is Right? Entertainment is big business.

inky

The credit card that was used to provide these donations is possibly fraudulent or was stolen. A dispute was most likely made with the credit card issuer as they have 90 days to do so and turned to Paypal to get that money back.

Pretty much. It sucks for the people receiving the donation, but people who had their CCs abused deserve their money back as well.

El Sloth

Banned

Jesus. He's just a kid. You feel nothing about a kid getting taken advantaged of?

What is empathy

Yujin

Banned

This is why I love when someone streaming video games from their parent's basement does the whole "Streaming full time is my job!" bit. No, you don't have a job, you play video games all day.

Goddard

Who was the guy was going around donating hundreds of grand to popular WoW streamers? Did anyone figure who he was or why he did it?

There are major restrictions on how much a 14-year-old in the United States can work during the school year, so yeah, in fact.
Yup, and I think it varies by state as well? Regardless of that, even if these people didn't need the donations to get by, this is screwing them over anyway.

Anfang

This is why I love when someone streaming video games from their parent's basement does the whole "Streaming full time is my job!" bit. No, you don't have a job, you play video games all day.

It is there job if they make an actual living off of it. Not just some rando 100 viewer channel, but the 1000s of viewers ones. If it was so easy everyone would be doing it.

Seyavesh

dSZYxfK.jpg

Step 1.

Anfang

He could do chores and lawns for neighbors. Stupid kids want everything easy these days. They should earn their money, not sit on their asses and play games while they e-beg for money. Serves them right IMO.

You assume he doesn't do these things already. Please tell us more through your crystal ball.

Trickster

how the fuck is it even legal to do a charge back after several months? How long should people wait before daring to spend money given to them? years?

He could do chores and lawns for neighbors. Stupid kids want everything easy these days. They should earn their money, not sit on their asses and play games while they e-beg for money. Serves them right IMO.

What a fucking bitter person you are, jesus christ.

LiK

Paypal needs to update their system to not allow things like chargebacks for donations. And also suspend Paypal accounts for people who want their money back often.

JLeack

Banned
PayPal is one of the worst companies on the planet that doesn't abuse animals or torture human beings. They're awfully close to that, though.

Sorry that you got burned. If I were you, I'd direct my hatred at PayPal. Maybe buy a boxing bag and put a PayPal logo on it?

Top Bottom