• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Orayn

So I kinda just found out about this channel: Twitch Plays Pokemon

Basically, someone set up an emulator to take all of its inputs from Twitch chat. It only understands the basic directional inputs, A, B, Start, and Select, and it shows which inputs are actually being used in real time, as well as a timer that records the adventure. It's been going for one day and seven hours, and the party currently consists of a level 22 Charmeleon and a Pidgey. They somehow managed to beat the first gym and are currently working on Mt. Moon.

This is beautiful in an incredibly stupid and entertaining way. It's like the internet is becoming collectively self-aware through Twitch chat, and it turns out the internet is an idiot. Join me, GAF! Let us watch this amazing journey into futility!

Mod edit:
Google Doc on status: https://sites.google.com/site/twitchplayspokemonstatus/
Kotaku article on how it works: http://kotaku.com/the-miraculous-progress-of-twitch-plays-pokemon-1524605696
Knowyourmeme article: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/twitch-plays-pokemon

Hail Helix:
ismFvXn4jzWlR.gif

#teamanarchy

Orayn

I made a GIF to give people some idea of what it looks like and capture the true essence of Twitch's struggle against itself.

ig1zf4teLBPxF.gif

Orayn

Seems cool, but how do i get twitch to play for more than 10 seconds without freezing?

I don't know the specifics of the setup, but if you're talking about the game itself I'm guessing they limit the number of simultaneous inputs either by putting them into a queue or discarding them when too many come in at once. To the best of my knowledge, they're not capable of resetting the game via A+B+Start+Select, though I could be wrong.

Level 22 Charizard?

Charmeleon, good catch. Was too busy giggling to notice the slip up.

I don't know the specifics of the setup, but if you're talking about the game itself I'm guessing they limit the number of simultaneous inputs either by putting them into a queue or discarding them when too many come in at once. To the best of my knowledge, they're not capable of resetting the game via A+B+Start+Select, though I could be wrong.

Charmeleon, good catch. Was too busy giggling to notice the slip up.

I mean, whenever i try to watch anyone on twitch, i can watch the video fine for about 5-10 seconds, then the screen just goes blank and says loading, and stays like that forever

I don't know why, but I laughed harder at this than anything I've seen all week. It's the Octodad of PokeMon. The brilliance of this is that it can only be productive while nobody is watching.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I don't think this has a chance of progressing any further.

The future of Let's Plays.

Kind of a shame they aren't recording their broadcast. Would love to see how the hell they managed to get past the first gym.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
No worries. I was wondering if they somehow found a glitch in the game. D:

I'm pretty damn surprised they managed to catch a Pokemon.
Must've been before it was getting attention. I don't think any progress is possible now.

Orayn

No worries. I was wondering if they somehow found a glitch in the game. D:

I'm pretty damn surprised they managed to catch a Pokemon.

The fact that they've captured a Pokemon and beaten a gym indicates that they're theoretically capable of doing anything. The process might even be self-correcting since extended periods of making no progress could cause people to leave and give the remaining viewers more control.

linko9

Wow, they got a Charmeleon, that means they had the discipline to not press the b button while it was evolving, right? Impressive.

I can just see them going up and then dropping down over a ledge. How the hell they managed to even get into the first gym amazes me.

Trike

This is amazing. They should do this with more games. Would love to see them try to beat a JRPG. Or a fighting game. Could be a new evolution of SaltyBet.

Top Bottom