• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Platinum: Twitch Develops a Gambling Addiction

TrickRoom

This may very well be the first time in TPP history that we enter the Hall of Fame with an unevolved Pokemon. (Graveler doesn't count, for obvious reasons)

Nah that was in Diamond when he had a Girafarig. I think he is safe, just need to tank and Payback.

Mr. Mime-Thunderbolt
Espeon-Shadow Ball and Signal Beam
Bronzong-yeah it's got nothing
Alakazam-Focus Blast
Gallade-Drain Punch

all but one can hit for neutral damage

edit: also on Cynthia's type coverage
Spiritomb has SE on Roserade and Golbat
Roserade on Golbat, Bibarel, and Roserade (lmao)
Togekiss on all but Shinx and Bronzong
Lucario on Flareon, Bibarel, and Golbat
Milotic on Flareon, Roserade, and Golbat
Garchomp on Flareon, Roserade, and Bronzong (and can probably wipe out the others too)

Crayolan

I actually don't know much about Napoleon, Even with all the Art Hyper brings. He used to hate Pokemon, and slowly learned to like them again right?

That's the basic gist of it, with a few specific events crafting most of the lore around it.

Napoleon is somewhat of a stoic, prissy, and high-class guy who doesn't like pokemon. . Some art has also depicted him as quiet and antisocial too. Because of his name, it was decided that he's a Kalosian(French) who has recently moved to Sinnoh. His one friend is Pearl, who is basically the antithesis of Napoleon's personality: hyper, energetic, and obnoxious. Most people agree that Pearl is from Sinnoh yet has somehow known Napoleon since they were kids.

Napoleon's dislike of pokemon came from Rowan asking him that question at the start of the game and us answering "No", and his personality came from french stereotypes combined with the fact that he dislikes pokemon. After originally saying he did not like pokemon, he further cemented this fact by selling TM 27(Return) right after receiving it and not long after releasing his Chimchar.

The main events which have been considered proof of Napoleon growing to like pokemon are:
-Budew's evolution, which is a happiness evolution.
-Napoleon bothers to put his pokemon through Contests
-After Budew's evolution he starts caring about Pokemon enough to start evolving more of them.
-On the beach Napoleon visits the foot doctor and Napoleon is deemed "Roselia's Friend." He then went into the corner of the room for a while which is interpreted by some people as him crying in the corner. This can also be seen as Napoleon finally getting the ribbon that Sunbrella couldn't win in the contests.
-Napoleon has caught more pokemon total than any other TPP Protagonist to date.
-Napoleon gets a new Return TM to make up for the old one he sold and teaches it to Shinx
-Napoleon goes out of his way to save the lake spirits and eventually Dialga, Palkia, Giratina.
-Instead of catching it, Napoleon instead gives a Poke Doll to Uxie.

And I think that's about everything. The general consensus is that going on his adventure has melted Napoleon's cold heart both in relation to pokemon and in general.

Mr. Mime-Thunderbolt
Alakazam-Focus Blast
Gallade-Drain Punch

Garchomp on Flareon, Roserade, and Bronzong (and can probably wipe out the others too)

Bronzong has Levitate.

That's the basic gist of it, with a few specific events crafting most of the lore around it.

Napoleon is somewhat of a stoic, prissy, and high-class guy who doesn't like pokemon. . Some art has also depicted him as quiet and antisocial too. Because of his name, it was decided that he's a Kalosian(French) who has recently moved to Sinnoh. His one friend is Pearl, who is basically the antithesis of Napoleon's personality: hyper, energetic, and obnoxious. Most people agree that Pearl is from Sinnoh yet has somehow known Napoleon since they were kids.

Napoleon's dislike of pokemon came from Rowan asking him that question at the start of the game and us answering "No", and his personality came from french stereotypes combined with the fact that he dislikes pokemon. After originally saying he did not like pokemon, he further cemented this fact by selling TM 27(Return) right after receiving it and not long after releasing his Chimchar.

The main events which have been considered proof of Napoleon growing to like pokemon are:
-After Budew's evolution he starts caring about Pokemon enough to start evolving more of them.
-On the beach Napoleon visits the foot doctor and Napoleon is deemed "Roselia's Friend." He then went into the corner of the room for a while which is interpreted by some people as him crying in the corner. This can also be seen as Napoleon finally getting the ribbon that Sunbrella couldn't win in the contests.
-Napoleon gets a new Return TM to make up for the old one he sold and teaches it to Shinx
-Napoleon goes out of his way to save the lake spirits and eventually Dialga, Palkia, Giratina.

And I think that's about everything. The general consensus is that going on his adventure has melted Napoleon's cold heart both in relation to pokemon and in general.

Bronzong has Levitate.
Thanks for the right up.

Napoleon is adorable.

Crayolan

vsXmeiA.png

Doesn't matter, Garchomp has Flamethrower

I was not aware of this. Clearly I'm not looking hard enough at the movesets that have been posted multiple times.

Mr. Mime-Thunderbolt
Alakazam-Focus Blast
Gallade-Drain Punch

We shouldn't dismiss togekiss, he gave me the battle of my lifetime when I played Platinum for the first time, that battle was insane. I wish I had save it.

Aww that's really sweet.

We are actually training Shinx against high level water Pokemon and OF COURSE people started spamming B as soon as he was close to get a level up.

Crayolan

Amazingly we actually got rid of 3 of her pokemon, including Garchomp. Probably could've went farther if we sent out Roserade before Bronzong.

Amazing first try though, killed 3 of cynthia's mons. A few clutch moments that whole attempt through the E4/Cynthia

Actually we're both wrong, only killed 2. Good try editing though. :p

Flareon taking out Milotic was probably the shocker of that fight

What. Now I'm wrong about being wrong damnit.

PBalfredo

Wow! I'm surprised we were able to take down three of her pokemon, including Garchomp. Flareon's Fire Fang did impressive damage, even to Milotic.

edit: To make sure we're right lol.

Flareon def Spiritomb
Flareon def Milotic
Garchomp def Flareon
Garchomp def Bronzong
Roserade def Garchomp
Togekiss def Roserade

TrickRoom

I'm now convinced that it's possible for the mob to get their urn before anyone hits 100 at all. Even though Platinum's AI and coverage is a cut above Emerald's, we've been helped a lot by the touch screen interface, and most of our Pokemon at least know competent moves. That garchomp is just about as OP as everyone hyped it to be, though. (Flareon's Strength wasn't even a 2HKO wtf?)

PBalfredo

And he's not even level 100 yet.

Shit, I was about ready to head to bed for the night, confident we won't beat Cynthia before morning. But now I'm not 100%.

We're already at the point in our E4 run that the first trainer is completely free as long as we don't screw up. We already got our superstar mon up to a high level. The stars are starting to align.

Also, Platnium's field music continues to be goddamn amazing.

And he's not even level 100 yet.

Shit, I was about ready to head to bed for the night, confident we won't beat Cynthia before morning. But now I'm not 100%.

We're already at the point in our E4 run that the first trainer is completely free as long as we don't screw up. We already got our superstar mon up to a high level. The stars are starting to align.

Also, Platnium's field music continues to be goddamn amazing.

Flareon or Bibarel at lvl 100 will definitely clear the E4 like they're nothing and by then Cynthia should be a cakewalk.

edit: Chat is now trying to get Bibarel Ice Beam o_O

Crayolan

Flareon or Bibarel at lvl 100 will definitely clear the E4 like they're nothing and by then Cynthia should be a cakewalk.

edit: Chat is now trying to get Bibarel Ice Beam o_O

Though it may not be the chat's goal, if we can get a coordinated effort to teach ice beam that may be our best chance to evolve shinx. If we accidentally use a rare candy while everyone is spamming AX the evolution will go through immediately and so long as no one is constantly spamming b the trolls wont be able to react in time. The only problem is we have to scroll up for ice beam and down for rare candy, so hope we overshoot it.

TrickRoom

Another run and they manage to only lose Shinx and Golbat! This team setup looks pretty good now!

Edit: ...and it could've been a Crobat! The B trollers weren't even ready for it but someone tried to spam Run+Direction too early!

Crayolan

Chat is saying I cancelled Golbat's evolution despite only entering any B's halfway through the battle and the command that cancelled it being a b+up, which I at no point entered. Even if I did though, that's hilarious.

Chat is saying I cancelled Golbat's evolution despite only entering any B's halfway through the battle and the command that cancelled it being a b+up, which I at no point entered. Even if I did though, that's hilarious.

Even if it wasn't I'll just say it's all your fault.

PBalfredo

We've gotten good at getting through the E4, but finishing the job with Cynthia is going to be another matter. We're relying on Flareon and Bibarel to get through the E4 but they start to run out of gas at Cynthia, and she has too much coverage for Roserade and Bronzongers to seal the deal without some leveling.

edit: shit, I'll bet we'll beat Cynthia in the next three to four hours. But that's just too late to stay up for and just too soon to get up early for at this point. This might be the first time I miss TEH URN. Oh well, good luck everyone.

edit2: err maybe after this run. Bibarel survived to Cynthia, took out Spiritomb which prommpted Cynthia to send out Roserade instead of Milotic. This let Flareon come out next and take out Roserade. But then fucking Garchomp and Earthquake. It takes both Bronzong and Roserade to KO Garchomp. But once again, Togekiss stops Roserade cold. Thus concludes my liveblog. We keep coming so close. That time we got her down to two pokemon left.

PBalfredo

We're at the point where the E4 isn't a big deal. But I have to ask, would we be able to beat Cynthia even if we took her on at full health? And I'm not sure. The biggest problem is that Garchomp stops Flareon cold. It would require us to switch out Flareon when Garchomp shows up, throw as many pokemon at the beast until it faints, then let Flareon continue his rampage. Otherwise no one else seems to have the firepower to punch through Togekiss' wall, and Lucario hasn't even shown up yet, but Flareon is the only one who is supereffective against him.

boris90

Neo Member
I still can't imagine how they manage to beat all these games just by inputting random commands. I understand there are people who are trying with all their might to overcome that randomness, but, among all those who are trying to do the exact opposite, how? Just how? :)

Damn even with flareon at lvl 96 Strength still isn't even a 2HKO on the garchomp

edit: Still not a bad try, 3 pokemon again. Spiritomb, Milotic, Togekiss were KO'd this try.

Top Bottom