• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Platinum: Twitch Develops a Gambling Addiction

Crayolan

Cythina defeated at 17d11h38m! TPP has completed its first anarchy-only run ever!

twitchplayspokemon-profile_banner-2d67334f0890560a-480_678x452.png

Link to stream
Link to the Reddit Live Updater
Link to the Google Doc Progress Page

What is this?

Twitch Plays Pokemon is a game of pokemon where the viewers are in control. Simply input a command (a,b,left,right,up,down,start,select) into the stream chat and it will happen in game (following a 20-40 second lag). The thing is, with thousands of people controlling the game all at once, things get crazy pretty quickly.

Democracy vs. Anarchy

There are two input systems in Twitch Plays Pokemon. The first, Anarchy, works as previously stated. Every command inputted will be played out in the game, leading to sheer insanity. The next, Democracy, instead stops the game and collects votes on commands every 30 seconds. The command with the highest number of votes at the end of each 30 second voting period will be the one inputted in game, until Anarchy is voted as the top choice, at which point Democracy reverts back to Anarchy. Democracy is useful for navigating areas that require precise inputs, using items in the bag, and safely accessing the PC, among other things.

Democracy will be disabled until we reach what the streamer determines to be an otherwise impossible task.

The Touch Screen

The streamer has enabled a coordinate system to allow use of the touch screen in the game. Simply input (number), (number) and that position on the touch screen will be pressed. Hopefully this will help us more than hurt us (thanks to trolls constantly running/going into the bag).

Guessing what coordinate equates to what part of the touch screen is tough though, so here is a script for retrieving the touch screen coordinates by simply clicking on the screen in the stream. (Thanks PBAlfredo!)

Gambling?

For the last few days, the streamer has had random Pokemon Stadium 2 battles going on side-by-side with the stream. Between each battle, viewers can place bets on which team will win. You start out with $1000 for betting, and can never fall below $100 total. Once you place a bet, it cannot be retracted or lowered, and you cannot switch sides. You can increase your bet, however. If you want to join, simply input this during the voting period:

!bet (insert amount here) (insert team here)
Example: !bet 100 red

The Final Team

Our Starter:
Oh wait....

-Flareon "Solaireon"
-Roserade "Queen Sunbrella"
-Bronzong "Bronzonger" "Steve"
-Shinx "Sparkles" "Sunshine"
-Golbat "Moon Bat"
-Bibarel "Agent 006"

In the Daycare:
Empty

In the PC:
Our Bidoof Entourage.
A bunch of other useless low level mons.
A bunch of useless Mt Coronet mons.
Doof #1, the first HM Slave
Tons of Great Marsh mons
Togepi "KK Roy" "Princess Omelette"

History

So far, we've beaten 4 pokemon games:
Red Version
The team:
TPP Red Pokedex

Crystal Version
The team:
TPP Crystal Pokedex

Emerald Version
The team:
TPP Emerald Pokedex (Incomplete)

Fire Red Randomizer
The Team:
TPP Fire Red Pokedex (Incomplete)
TPP National Dex

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Emerald Thread
Fire Red Thread

Join us in the insanity! This run will probably be our hardest yet.

Toki767

It seems like it could be really messy having people both try to play the game and bet on battles on the side.

Regiruler

Best game and maybe the competent computer will finally get us off our solo run ass.

Mount coronet is going to slaughter us.

kyo2004

New Thread and as always... we present the latest Wall of Shame

Kanto-2 Wall of Shame

ZwHP7MJ.png

On a personal note... it's the first time seeing a pkmn game that I not played (Goal for this year: buy a 3DS with Gen IV-VI games... that's gonna be fun)... :D

I'm hyped. Cynthia is easiest my favorite Champion. I mean, look at us! Already we are in fear of her mighty prowess, before picking our first Pokemon no less.

Speaking of which, who do you all think will be our starter? My money is on Fire Monkey!

^^^^^
Not even mad about being #1. I really had fun with FireRed.

The gambling will make for an interesting new component. I just hope it doesn't make to be a distraction. Like how Anarchy and democracy was originally done. That was annoying set up.

Kanto-2 Wall of Shame

ZwHP7MJ.png

On a personal note... it's the first time seeing a pkmn game that I not played (Goal for this year: buy a 3DS with Gen IV-VI games... that's gonna be fun)... :D

Im ashamed of myself
Was going for that 3-peat...

Oh well

At least I have the distinction for most posts made in one TPP thread so far

Toxi

Banned
Gambling, huh.

I can imagine it getting ugly when we reach the Elite 4.
Oh boy. Cynthia is gonna be a real doozy
Her Garchomp is going to Earthquake our balls off.

Kanto-2 Wall of Shame

ZwHP7MJ.png

Wow, someone posted more than Hyperactivity.

blamite

#teamTurtwig

What a great time for me to not be able to load any Twitch streams. Has the site been super janky for everyone else for the past few weeks or is it just me? I have a super-fast connection and every other video site loads fine, so it's not that.

entremet

This is the generation that introduced Stealth Rock, arguably the best move in the metagame. It will help immensely with the e4 as there is a bug and fire trainer.

Gambling, huh.

I can imagine it getting ugly when we reach the Elite 4.

Her Garchomp is going to Earthquake our balls off.

Wow, someone posted more than Hyperactivity.

I know, first time its happened in the same thread where I was actie from beginning

Although in those threads EM stayed for the n=beginning and near the end alone, and still managed to consistently place top 5 in posts

Speaking of placing, going from TPP to the Rockets-Blazers and back is really time-consuming

Btw, Torterra grass starter hype, although Empoleon would be amazing too

Toxi

Banned
This is the generation that introduced Stealth Rock, arguably the best move in the metagame. It will help immensely with the e4 as there is a bug and fire trainer.
Stealth Rock is garbage in-game because most in-game trainers barely switch and have few Pokemon so the total damage isn't that much; you're better off just going with a sweeper style. In Twitch Plays Pokemon, it's a great way for a Poke to commit suicide by selecting it over and over.

omg i stopped watching after the og tpp and u guys are this far now???
Emerald was hell at the end. Randomized FireRed was pretty breezy in comparison (other than Flying type Koga, who was a bastard).

Growlie19

Recently finished Platinum in a ground mono-run. Had Torterra, Gliscor, Garchomp, Whiscash, Hippowdon, and Mamoswine. Whiscash sucked but everyone else was amazing. Great ground-type selection! Hope they pick Turtwig, though I'll be OK with Chimchar. Piplup's stupid.

Turtwig, Starly, and Shinx would be a great starting team.

Platinum really ramped up the difficulty! Fantina, Crasher Wake, Candice, and Cynthia have all given me trouble before. Can't wait to see those fights.

#teamTurtwig

What a great time for me to not be able to load any Twitch streams. Has the site been super janky for everyone else for the past few weeks or is it just me? I have a super-fast connection and every other video site loads fine, so it's not that.

#TeamAnyoneButTheFireMonkey

That being said, my money is on Chimchar.

Ironjam

Hoping for Turtwig, we need a grass starter finally and torterra is frikkin awesome as well.
Water is not bad though, just for the love of god dont choose fire. :lol

Top Bottom