• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter being hit with a 0 day attack. Apple, Bill Gates, Elon Musk and more hacked in a Bitcoin Scam

TTOOLL

So, Twitter has the power to post in behalf of users? That's it? The individual accounts weren't hacked, but Twitter itself was. This is really big. I hope more people finally see how much power they are giving away by using these "platforms".

So, Twitter has the power to post in behalf of users? That's it? The individual accounts weren't hacked, but Twitter itself was. This is really big. I hope more people finally see how much power they are giving away by using these "platforms".

From what I see they got access to some backend that allows the update of the email address of the user, the one where password resets are sent to. And this update was done without 2FA so no one would be notified.

This seems to be a really opportunistic action and not some massive plan being executed. I can imagine some guy who sends mass spams to millions of email addresses to suddenly hit jackpot as some dumb Twitter admin clicks a link and he realizes what he has access to. He's got a few hours to work in, just enough time to set up a bitcoin scam for a few top users but not to really do anything more. Although it may have been possible to grab a dump of DMs from the accounts, I have no twitter account and have no idea how this would work.

Anyone who has twitter, say someone has access and wants to grab all your of DMs, is there a download all option or would you need some external plugin ?

H4ze

How dense do you have to be to fall for that, like honestly, it's really stupid...

Twitter was also a mistake, worst shit the Internet has ever seen.

ManaByte

Gold Member
From what I see they got access to some backend that allows the update of the email address of the user, the one where password resets are sent to. And this update was done without 2FA so no one would be notified.

This seems to be a really opportunistic action and not some massive plan being executed. I can imagine some guy who sends mass spams to millions of email addresses to suddenly hit jackpot as some dumb Twitter admin clicks a link and he realizes what he has access to. He's got a few hours to work in, just enough time to set up a bitcoin scam for a few top users but not to really do anything more. Although it may have been possible to grab a dump of DMs from the accounts, I have no twitter account and have no idea how this would work.

Anyone who has twitter, say someone has access and wants to grab all your of DMs, is there a download all option or would you need some external plugin ?

You can download your entire Twitter archive of data including all tweets, media, and DMs. It'a a big dump though, mine was 12GB.

cryptoadam

Banned
So is Jack gonna have to testify in front of congress?

Any world leader right now should be shaking in their boots about what happened. Biden/Trump need to be rethinking being on twitter. One tweet from Trump saying F Nwords and the entire US could burn.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Any world leader right now should be shaking in their boots about what happened. Biden/Trump need to be rethinking being on twitter. One tweet from Trump saying F Nwords and the entire US could burn.

Hell, they go do a single word N-bomb Tweet from Trump and that'd be it.

cryptoadam

Banned
Also put some buy orders on stock at really low prices.

If you watched Tim Pool you might have seen the Obama hack that tanked the stock market. Literally Dark Knight Banes plan IRL.

If they do it again you could pick up some stocks when it crashes and then ride it all the way back up to the top.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How fucking lame. They get access to posting from all these sites and all they post is a lame Bitcoin scam. They could have made up so much fun shit with each account corroborating the other, it would have taken a long time for the truth to come out, and crafted right the correction could have been made to look like a cover-up.
If they were only interested in making money they could have crashed the stock market or at least one stock and that they shorted before hand.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How fucking lame. They get access to posting from all these sites and all they post is a lame Bitcoin scam. They could have made up so much fun shit with each account corroborating the other, it would have taken a long time for the truth to come out, and crafted right the correction could have been made to look like a cover-up.
If they were only interested in making money they could have crashed the stock market or at least one stock and that they shorted before hand.

“You had one chance to start WW3”

Starfield

Imagine WW3 happened because someone hacked an admins Twitter account and started spreading fake news on social media.

Someone in Hollywood probably already writing a script as we a speak.

cryptoadam

Banned

And maybe thats what they want you to think while they are reading all the DMs of everyone who they had access too.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
“You had one chance to start WW3”
Doesn't have to be WW3 of course, maybe just a tweet from Apple announcing Steve Jobs was today the first human being to be succesfully reanimated from cryogenic storage. Then Elon Musk tweeting how proud he was to be involved in supplying the technology that made it all possible and that he was introducing his new Tesla Life company. Obama tweeting how he was one of the few VIPs invited to witness the historic procedure. Then Steven King complaining that real life was stealing his stories. Then Biden tweeting that he would be undergoing the same reanimation procedure before the election.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Have to agree..Maybe they should already have been thinking... "Perhaps we shouldn't use completely out of our control social media services as a prominent means of communication?"

Instead of "let's call the feds on the business that was hacked" lol

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Does anyone feel like this is being swept under the rug.

Is the hope we all forget that fake messages were blasted out by some of the most influential people in the world?

Twitter is actually being good about providing further info as it uncovers it. It’s bad news, of course: the hackers got the DMs for 8 of the compromised accounts.

Edit: they later clarify the 8 accounts were not verified accounts, so we’re probably not looking at Joe Biden’s DMs ending up on Pastebin. Probably.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

ManaByte

Gold Member
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Remember the days when all that Sony stuff was being leaked.
Fun times!

ManaByte

Gold Member

The social engineering that occurred on July 15, 2020, targeted a small number of employees through a phone spear phishing attack. A successful attack required the attackers to obtain access to both our internal network as well as specific employee credentials that granted them access to our internal support tools. Not all of the employees that were initially targeted had permissions to use account management tools, but the attackers used their credentials to access our internal systems and gain information about our processes. This knowledge then enabled them to target additional employees who did have access to our account support tools. Using the credentials of employees with access to these tools, the attackers targeted 130 Twitter accounts, ultimately Tweeting from 45, accessing the DM inbox of 36, and downloading the Twitter Data of 7.

iconmaster

Banned

cryptoadam

Banned
China/Iran/NK are rolling with laughter right now.

Jack you got beaten by a 17 year old. I hope he feels the shame of a thousand men who just finished beating it.

A teenager was behind this apparently

That's actually even more terrifying. If a fucking 17 year old could single handedly access all this shit that could have caused fuck knows how many deaths and what kind of destruction, then what actual cyberwarfare tactics might be employed at a moments notice are that much more terrifying to contemplate and easy to implement.

iconmaster

Banned
That's actually even more terrifying. If a fucking 17 year old could single handedly access all this shit that could have caused fuck knows how many deaths and what kind of destruction, then what actual cyberwarfare tactics might be employed at a moments notice are that much more terrifying to contemplate and easy to implement.

Of course. For a well-funded team of state actors, this and much more would be trivial.

Top Bottom