• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hate Speech

noun
  1. abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.

Edit: Inb4 Gif response or deflection based whataboutism
Now the next question.

Has enforcement been equally applied to all groups across Twitter, Facebook, etc., under that rudimentary definition?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you want balance you must give both sides a voice and cut out the far fringes. Otherwise you risk shifting the Overton window towards extremism.
This. And the absolute ideological farce of a narrative that anything right of far-left control is considered "alt or far-right."

And every rapper, TV mogul and left politically loved DJT until he ran against the established status quo. Even asked him for almost 3 decades since the 80's if he'd ever consider running for president. I'm seeing a pattern here. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Explains a lot

b3pHRjS.png
This is actually quite a common story for top managers it seems. That said i'd take it with a grain of salt, precisely because its so common so its easy to make up (numberonecatwinner isn't a very convincing name either).

Reading through some reviews of SpaceX and reports of other people who interacted with, the general impression i get of Elon is that he isn't a good person to work with from a personal relationships standpoint, but he isn't the stupid buffon the current media is trying to paint him as either.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is actually quite a common story for top managers it seems. That said i'd take it with a grain of salt, precisely because its so common so its easy to make up (numberonecatwinner isn't a very convincing name either).

Reading through some reviews of SpaceX and reports of other people who interacted with, the general impression i get of Elon is that he isn't a good person to work with from a personal relationships standpoint, but he isn't the stupid buffon the current media is trying to paint him as either.

The stupid buffoon narrative™ they constantly go to with people against their grain. Another 🤡 pattern.

Guilty_AI

The stupid buffoon narrative™ they constantly go to with people against their grain. Another 🤡 pattern.
Research tip for google search: If you want to dig deeper into any news that went viral, to know how much of it is true and how much it just media typical sensacionalism and exagerations, use the the tool that allows you to limit the date period of the search.

Limit the date to sometime before the news went viral, you're likely to get more reliable information that way instead of the usual endless stream of confirmation bias news that all have the same source. (naturally doesn't work for everything, but can be useful in some cases like this one)

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I love that it's mostly the same people putting on the cape to defend people from seeing "hate speech" that were also saying people who didn't want the covid shot deserve to die and are the shittiest people walking the planet. How quickly the virtue signaling winds sway.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Now the next question.

Has enforcement been equally applied to all groups across Twitter, Facebook, etc., under that rudimentary definition?
Of course it hasn't. I have said multiple times in the last year that moderation on Twitter sucks ass.

But the answer is not to just have NO moderation at all. That's fucking stupid.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Explains a lot

b3pHRjS.png
That's a non-issue. I've never worked at tech companies and this kind of stuff goes on all the time to make the execs feel good. When there's news the US boss is visiting or the buyers from Walmart are visiting, a company memo goes out to everyone 24-48 hours in advance telling everyone to clean up their desks and dont wear anything stupid to work that day. Dont leave any important documents lying around the office either just in case. When these people leave the office to check out nearby stores to see their products, someone the day before already went there and tidied up the shelves. Execs aresnt stupid and they know this goes on. Dont forget they moved up the ladder and likely had to do this too. But they tolerate it as long as the company does well. Company politics like staying late to impress bosses has been going on probably since the pyramids were built too.

If Elon is the big wig with the bank account controlling the shots, that's life. Most companies arent like that because the execs in charge dont usually invest $100s of millions or billions of their own money into a company. By the looks of it Twitter is a pretty lax company to work at because before Musk I've never heard of Twitter being a ballbusting company to work at. Dorsey even said the company is overstaffed as he kept on hiring even though the company has never been great at making profit. They actually lose money most years despite other social media sites making $20 billion profit like FB (and that is even after Zuck loses billions in VR lab stuff). So it looks like Twitter employees have never experienced a boss coming to crack the whip. That's the Elon way. Tesla would never have been successful if he was a chill boss. He sounds like a hardcore boss at Tesla too.

A good example of high level people needing to be coddled are in private companies where a family tree has ownd it for generations. Jimmyboy at 24 years year old knows nothing but is rat raced up the chain by daddy.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That's a non-issue. I've never worked at tech companies and this kind of stuff goes on all the time to make the execs feel good. When there's news the US boss is visiting or the buyers from Walmart are visiting, a company memo goes out to everyone 24-48 hours in advance telling everyone to clean up their desks and dont wear anything stupid to work that day. Dont leave any important documents lying around the office either just in case. When these people leave the office to check out nearby stores to see their products, someone the day before already went there and tidied up the shelves. Execs aresnt stupid and they know this goes on. Dont forget they moved up the ladder and likely had to do this too. But they tolerate it as long as the company does well. Company politics like staying late to impress bosses has been going on probably since the pyramids were built too.

If Elon is the big wig with the bank account controlling the shots, that's life. Most companies arent like that because the execs in charge dont usually invest $100s of millions or billions of their own money into a company. By the looks of it Twitter is a pretty lax company to work at because before Musk I've never heard of Twitter being a ballbusting company to work at. Dorsey even said the company is overstaffed as he kept on hiring even though the company has never been great at making profit. They actually lose money most years despite other social media sites making $20 billion profit like FB (and that is even after Zuck loses billions in VR lab stuff). So it looks like Twitter employees have never experienced a boss coming to crack the whip. That's the Elon way. Tesla would never have been successful if he was a chill boss. He sounds like a hardcore boss at Tesla too.

A good example of high level people needing to be coddled are in private companies where a family tree has ownd it for generations. Jimmyboy at 24 years year old knows nothing but is rat raced up the chain by daddy.
An intern setting his first foot in a corporate environment and viewing the entire scenario through a lens of personal resentment.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That's a non-issue. I've never worked at tech companies and this kind of stuff goes on all the time to make the execs feel good. When there's news the US boss is visiting or the buyers from Walmart are visiting, a company memo goes out to everyone 24-48 hours in advance telling everyone to clean up their desks and dont wear anything stupid to work that day. Dont leave any important documents lying around the office either just in case.

Common at my first corporate job as well (we were a multinational, so when the foreign execs who owned us came we got the same sort of emails, same practices). That's a different scenario than having some exec around on prem and it happening every day because of it - becoming an ingrained part of the day to day work culture.

RAÏSanÏa

This. And the absolute ideological farce of a narrative that anything right of far-left control is considered "alt or far-right."

And every rapper, TV mogul and left politically loved DJT until he ran against the established status quo. Even asked him for almost 3 decades since the 80's if he'd ever consider running for president. I'm seeing a pattern here. 🤷‍♀️
Against the absolute ideological farce of a narrative that anything left of far-right is considered far-left contributes to causing irreconcilable differences.

In that vein, it doesn't help when Musk uses hyperbolic language associated with far right conspiracies saying he believes that a woke mind virus penetrates entertainment leading civilization to suicide. What and how any of that "leads civilization to suicide" provokes a few questions about it and Musk's condition. Maybe you can explain what "leading civilization to suicide" means? What is this suicide? The most generous explanation I can think of without an explanation is derived from equating 'woke mind virus' with LGBTQ+(from other sources) and is quite diabolical and, if it's the case, would be understandably threatening to people. Knowing what Musk means might help.

Is the pattern that some people can change their minds with new information?
Or is there a conspiracy with the hidden powers of the established status quo? Is it possible people like certain things and don't want them threatened?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
well, it’s been another week and twitter is still around, looks like even the blue hairs at the verge and other tech sites are bored and moving on. I’d be pretty embarrassed if I was them, the hissy fit was hilarious, but they don’t have any shame.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Related to Musk, but I found out via lithub just now that his sister is an entrepreneur as well. She owns a service called Passionflix, that adapts romance and passion novels and streams similar content. Subscribers in the six figures.

Jesus man. Whole damn family is made of money.

An intern setting his first foot in a corporate environment and viewing the entire scenario through a lens of personal resentment.
It is so blatantly clear that, assuming any of it is even true, that this is an intern with absolutely zero business, corporate, or frankly life and people experience.

"People knew how to present ideas in a way that would resonate with him" uhh, no shit? There are chapters in How to Win Friends and Influence People devoted to that exact strategy. You should always try to present ideas in a way that will resonate with your audience, especially your boss - and it doesn't matter if your boss is Elon Musk or the head janitor.

This is the madlad who did the "insulin is free now lol" tweet.

Dude is right, Insulin is being kept at an artificially high price due to necessary demand and cartel-like price gauging by the pharmaceutical companies. That sad part is WAPO taking the side of Eli Lilly in order to one-up Musk, when in reality that parody tweet forced the company to admit to their ludicrous prices.

I guess establishing bogeymen is far more important to the press than actually defending people's interests. Sean Morrow has done more good in a single tweet than the WAPO in a year's worth of reporting.

The fact that a single parody tweet, that was even marked as such, caused so much financial strife, clearly shows what impact Twitter can have on our society. There's also something really wrong with the financial market if it reacts so nervously to a single parody tweet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Of course it hasn't. I have said multiple times in the last year that moderation on Twitter sucks ass.

But the answer is not to just have NO moderation at all. That's fucking stupid.
Agreed.

And there isn't "NO moderation." So what's the issue?

I'm starting to see the issue (sarcasm). Patterns, patterns everywhere. :messenger_robot:

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Sam Harris explained in his latest pod episode why he left Twitter, and if you're someone who's followed Sam's career, you already knew it had nothing to do with him "not being able to handle criticism" as this is the same guy who's received untold amounts of ridicule and threats criticism Islam and woke ideologies, as well as him hating on Trump for years.

Why Sam did it related back to the Alyssa Milano juxtaposition. He said it was making him a worse person. And he was starting to get resentment towards people he likes/liked and people he doesn't even know. And he didn't want to be that way anymore. He said his view of the world and humanity was becoming too negatively slanted because of this platform. And given he's not very active on it in the first place, he decided to leave.

And I don't blame him. He's 100% right, that's what this platform does to many people. I guarantee if the platform didn't exist, there would be far less polarization out there and less hatred for disagreement.

And he said Elon bringing Trump back had zero to do with it. He supports Elon doing whatever he wants with his platform. Even if he disagrees with the decision.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why Sam did it related back to the Alyssa Milano juxtaposition. He said it was making him a worse person. And he was starting to get resentment towards people he likes/liked and people he doesn't even know. And he didn't want to be that way anymore. He said his view of the world and humanity was becoming too negatively slanted because of this platform. And given he's not very active on it in the first place, he decided to leave.
If You Say So Shrug GIF

dem

Elon is really good at weaponizing morons.

Make it about free speech, no matter how absurd the argument.

Everyone has to advertise on Twitter… or else they are against free speech? That’s how it works now?

But also, pay me $8 a month or your free speech will be buried below those with tier 1 free speech.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Yeah name and shame advertisers for having moderation concerns. That will definitely bring them back.

This is the guy people people keep calling a business genius?
Yeah I'm not really sure what his endgame is here. Sure he can finance some battles but he can't finance literally ALL of them, so either he has some specific goal he is trying to achieve with Apple or he is just shooting wildly at whatever company he feels like, which will burn him eventually.

jason10mm

Gold Member
well, it’s been another week and twitter is still around, looks like even the blue hairs at the verge and other tech sites are bored and moving on. I’d be pretty embarrassed if I was them, the hissy fit was hilarious, but they don’t have any shame.
I'm pretty convinced they just wanted a "Imma ready to leave twittah!" statement 'on the record' so they can dig it up later if needed to signal their virtue harder. Naturally past tweets that go against their current narrative were just "I was in a bad place at the time and am working on being a better human".

Twitter is a cesspool of past GOTCHA moments that can be selectively applied.

Chaplain

Seems like Musk didn't watch the following video from 2018:

“We only have one message for those who seek to push hate, division, and violence: You have no place on our platforms, You have no home here...If we can’t be clear on moral questions like these, then we’ve got big problems, ... I believe the most sacred thing that each of us is given is our judgment, our morality, our own innate desire to separate right from wrong. Choosing to set that responsibility aside at a moment of trial is a sin.” (Tim Cook)

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

So, how long until Apple kicks twitter app from apple store?

Musk is out of his mind. He may be the richest man in the world, but he is running the 3rd or 4th most popular social media platform going to bat against the most valuable company on earth who also has the smartphone market essentially cornered.

He literally cannot win a fight against Apple. What is he doing?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The cynic in me feels if they pull Twitter from the app store, it won't be "until we feel secure it takes election rhetoric seriously" it'll be something like "Twitter must do a better job moderating hate speech" and of course "hate speech" to tech elites is agreeing with JK Rowling.

I think Big Tech is highly annoyed that someone who hasn't completely capitulated to certain ideologies is running a major platform.

Nobody_Important

who cares what he's thinking 🤷‍♂️

let-them-fight.gif
I mean yeah no matter who loses we win, but it's astonishingly stupid for him to do this. It makes the last month look like a collection of decisions that were earth shatteringly genius.

He is overdosing on his own self created hype. It's the only explanation.

Not the most sophisticated PR campaign I’ve ever seen…

Hasn't this been public knowledge for years?

Didn't they go to legal war with Fortnite over it?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I mean yeah no matter who loses we win, but it's astonishingly stupid for him to do this. It makes the last month look like a collection of decisions that were earth shatteringly genius.

He is overdosing on his own self created hype. It's the only explanation.
For me, i'm more than happy for having a billionaire sacrificing 44 billion dollars and extra revenue with things that benefit is no matter how it turns out. Truly a trans humanist.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Musk has regulators worldwide breathing down his neck for both employment law violations and regulations on content moderation...

Not everything is American politics.. both Apple and Google have to take it seriously when an app on their stores is possibly violating international laws.

This has all been such a huge disaster of his own making for Musk. The $13 billion in loans he took on for the buyout is one of the worst decisions in business history lol He took a platform that was surviving but not truly "making money" and saddled it with huge debt, while pissing off the people who pay Twitter's bills (advertisers).. trying to go to war with regulators all over the world, Twitter's business partners and many now former business partners, and now Apple... wow lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sam Harris explained in his latest pod episode why he left Twitter, and if you're someone who's followed Sam's career, you already knew it had nothing to do with him "not being able to handle criticism" as this is the same guy who's received untold amounts of ridicule and threats criticism Islam and woke ideologies, as well as him hating on Trump for years.

And I don't blame him. He's 100% right, that's what this platform does to many people. I guarantee if the platform didn't exist, there would be far less polarization out there and less hatred for disagreement.

And he said Elon bringing Trump back had zero to do with it. He supports Elon doing whatever he wants with his platform. Even if he disagrees with the decision.

Harris has/had literally the worst case of TDS I've ever seen.

Sad to see how badly it impacted his ethics and thinking, tragic in fact.

Nobody_Important

Musk has regulators worldwide breathing down his neck for both employment law violations and regulations on content moderation...

Not everything is American politics.. both Apple and Google have to take it seriously when an app on their stores is possibly violating international laws.

This has all been such a huge disaster of his own making for Musk. The $13 billion in loans he took on for the buyout is one of the worst decisions in business history lol He took a platform that was surviving but not truly "making money" and saddled it with huge debt, while pissing off the people who pay Twitter's bills (advertisers).. trying to go to war with regulators all over the world, Twitter's business partners and many now former business partners, and now Apple... wow lol
Yeah I don't understand what he is doing. Thumbing his nose at CBS and other media personalties is one thing. That's just small potatoes trolling and memeing.

But directly going after Apple publicly for their valid concerns? He's lost it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom