• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Verified Extremism

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
We're seeing a string of terrorist attacks from both the left and right at the moment. In some cases, rhetoric from both sides is being co-opted by the same extremist, as seen with the El Paso shooter.

Social media has become a problem, legitimizing and disseminating calls to violence and extremism.

Use this thread to highlight the absurdity of what Twitter allows from blue check mark users on its platform. Calls to violence should not be acceptable.

"A Twitter official, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, told The Daily Wire, "this tweet does not break our rules at this time."

May 22, 2018
Yeah the language used here is unacceptable. "Eradicated" implies violence and that is obviously not an good way to go about this. Comments like this only fuel the propaganda that such extremists feed off of.

Shunned, pushed aside, or shamed would have been a better term to use. Because that is really the best and only way to deal with racism and extremism these days. By responding with violence you only fuel them, but if you shove them aside and minimize their reach then they have no choice but to suffer in silence. This is why deplatforming is such an important step for social media outlets to take when it comes to those who spread such hate and extremism. YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and Instagram all need to knuckle down on the extremism that is prevalent in their sites. And that applies to both sides obviously. Both sides have severe problems when it comes to violence and extremism. And social media is the first and easiest place to stop them.

Last edited:

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Twitter is totally ignoring any form of extremism on the left side. My best for example is still so called prominent feminist KAte Morgan.

Another one would be Teenvogue journalists wanting a hunger games for men in which only white men should die in the end.

Since Twitter changed the people who are verrifies on who they agree on instead of authenticity is another example how Twitter ignores extremism as long it fits a certain ideology.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
leave it to reza to compeltely miss the mark on what's acceptable rhetoric for public consumption

understand evil and eradicate hate becomes eradicate kelly anne

:messenger_dizzy:

Ma-Yuan

Jul 31, 2017
Its unbelievable that these people can't see their own racism. I mean I am baffled whats going on in the US. I from germany and its not as bad with the self hatred or hatred from others against europeans but our nut jobs are heading the same way. My wife is asian but the radical left scares me much more for our well being then the radical right I admit.

May 22, 2018
yes the language is very problematic, should have used the words i want them to use

words are violence btw

sniff glue every day
Yeah it's almost as if the words used in a statement is important to how the statement is received.

How shocking is that?

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
Twitter is totally ignoring any form of extremism on the left side. My best for example is still so called prominent feminist KAte Morgan.

Another one would be Teenvogue journalists wanting a hunger games for men in which only white men should die in the end.

Since Twitter changed the people who are verrifies on who they agree on instead of authenticity is another example how Twitter ignores extremism as long it fits a certain ideology.
Is this extremism tho? White people complaining about white people is the tamest shit in the book imo. Ideally there would be a way to block anti white blather coming from white virtue signallers but sigh we only have the tools we are given

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
that guy in op sounds triggered as hell. what a clown.

Last edited:

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Is this extremism tho? White people complaining about white people is the tamest shit in the book imo. Ideally there would be a way to block anti white blather coming from white virtue signallers but sigh we only have the tools we are given
change white with black and see if your comment still stands

We now live in a society in e´which white people apologize for being white. And this is encouraged by media. Yes it is highly racist

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
I've been following Sam Harris for many years and I remember him calling Reza Aslan dishonest on many occasions. Didn't know he was also an actual psycho.
he's a colossal piece of shit loser, listening to sam dunk on him with coffee makes my morning

Reactions: IKSTUGA

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah the language used here is unacceptable. "Eradicated" implies violence and that is obviously not an good way to go about this. Comments like this only fuel the propaganda that such extremists feed off of.

Shunned, pushed aside, or shamed would have been a better term to use. Because that is really the best and only way to deal with racism and extremism these days. By responding with violence you only fuel them, but if you shove them aside and minimize their reach then they have no choice but to suffer in silence. This is why deplatforming is such an important step for social media outlets to take when it comes to those who spread such hate and extremism. YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and Instagram all need to knuckle down on the extremism that is prevalent in their sites. And that applies to both sides obviously. Both sides have severe problems when it comes to violence and extremism. And social media is the first and easiest place to stop them.
You are a fucking joke 😂. Unbelievable

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Because i denounced the violence implied in the Tweet and think that social media sites should step up and stop such hate and extremism?

Okay? Not sure how that makes me a joke.
There is no violence in that tweet. You know what she meant. Reza knows what she meant. Anyone with 2 fucking brain cells can figure it out.

Stop this bullshit already

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
There is no violence in that tweet. You know what she meant. Reba knows what she meant. Anyone with 2 fucking brain cells can figure it out.

Stop this bullshit already
Yeah I have to disagree. The word "eradicate" to me carries some serious weight when you are talking about a group of people in my opinion. I'm not willing to give that a pass. I've learned in the past year or so that the words you use make a big difference when you are trying to make a point as serious as this. You can't just say people need to be "eradicated" and it not have a darker tone to it in my opinion. You need to find a better way to get your point across than that.

If you disagree that's fine, but I'm not okay with it myself.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
nazi germany would interchange exterminate and evacuate when it best suited them

when you begin to weight words like you're doing, you've basically lost the plot

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
We're seeing a string of terrorist attacks from both the left and right at the moment. In some cases, rhetoric from both sides is being co-opted by the same extremist, as seen with the El Paso shooter.

Social media has become a problem, legitimizing and disseminating calls to violence and extremism.

Use this thread to highlight the absurdity of what Twitter allows from blue check mark users on its platform. Calls to violence should not be acceptable.

"A Twitter official, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, told The Daily Wire, "this tweet does not break our rules at this time."
I have a good feeling this is the type of guy that wouldnt dare say this to someone's face because he knows he would get his ass kicked, well, into his face.

Although, some of the more moronic out there may see this, and do something dumb. I'm waiting for the first lawsuit based on a violent act, that was based on an incitement from twitter.

Reactions: EviLore

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
The bigger question here... How many of these people are even Americans that should have a say in the matter? How many of them are simply Russian bots/accounts sowing discourse and extremism. If you really want to look at Russia interfering in elections, doing stuff like this over social media and making sure the most extreme crazy rhetoric is spread around is probably one of the first things that needs to be looked into.

Yeah I have to disagree. The word "eradicate" to me carries some serious weight when you are talking about a group of people in my opinion. I'm not willing to give that a pass. I've learned in the past year or so that the words you use make a big difference when you are trying to make a point as serious as this. You can't just say people need to be "eradicated" and it not have a darker tone to it in my opinion. You need to find a better way to get your point across than that.

If you disagree that's fine, but I'm not okay with it myself.
What group of people is she talking about? She doesn't say "eradicate evil' as the guy that responded claims. She said "eradicate hate". I would think a violent act would be doing the opposite of 'eradicating hate" and instead promoting it.

Reactions: #Phonepunk#

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
Look you are the one who brought up Nazi Germany out of nowhere in a thread that has literally nothing to do with them. That's on you. Not me.
it was a point of reference

nazis have nothing to do with what i was trying to tell you

you don't get to arbitrarily weigh words like you are doing, it's a one way ticket to the land of the feels

*edit*

i'm equally at fault for enabling the conversation, apologies

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
The bigger question here... How many of these people are even Americans that should have a say in the matter? How many of them are simply Russian bots/accounts sowing discourse and extremism.
How many of them are from Canada? Or the UK? Or South America? People act like it’s just Russia but the whole world has been having a say in US politics. It makes it hard for me to care that people are upsetting some untouched core of US political discussion that exists in a vacuum as pure as virgin snow. That is a fiction that has never existed

Personally I think it’s fine and ok but it does drive divisiveness as well. This is a feature not a bug. Divisiveness is diversity, differing of opinions, which should be a good thing!

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
I always hear that poorer Republican voters are supposedly voting against their own interests, but when the other side wants to eradicate you, is it really in your best interest to vote for them?

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
re: russian interloping, conversations are what they are, don't let the botnet boogeyman sway you from interacting

that's how you end up ablated imo, it's a cold road to anarchism and self retreat

Last edited:

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017

CNN and New York Times

I reported this tweet as well. Lets see what it does.

Promoting the murder of a person just after two mass shootings

Last edited:

EHuntingon

Jul 30, 2013
I don't even know what to say about Twitter anymore. I read the tweets in this thread and I feel like I live in a completely different world. I mean, geez, it's like a self-parody. These people talk about love and acceptance and lifting up marginalized populations, but then spew hate and call for violence. Peace through violence. Tolerance through hate. What even is this? What is anyone supposed to take away from those comments?

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018

CNN and New York Times

This is where the tactic of clinging to nationalism probably isn’t the best defence against Trump. Not when you have a name like that lol.

Utterly clueless. You want to call out nationalism but you also want to shame people for not being patriots.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2013
What gets me is that, for all their crazy and violent rhetoric they never actually DO anything. That's what makes it all feel so stupid and worthless, it's just fellatio and internet back-pats as they race to the bottom to see who can pretend to be the biggest Social Revolutionary. But not a one of them will throw a brick, or take a shot, or actually put themselves on the line to actually accomplish the change they claim to so desperately want. That's why I respect the hell out of people like Simon Bolivar, or Che Guevara. I may not agree with their politics, Guevara in particular, but they didnt just sit on their asses shit flinging while waiting for someone else to die for their cause, they threw away comfortable and easy lives to fight for something they believed in and actually made it happen. None of these twitter checkmarks would ever have the balls to take a shot at the people they claim are oppressing them so much because it would involve having to leave their cozy positions of paid, accepted opposition.

Apr 18, 2014
P-Town

SHUN

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Why has twitter become so powerful. Its where we get our news, its where news gets there news. If one person on twitter says something the world acts like its some giant majority saying it.

Maybe it should be looked into why twitter has become the word of god essentially. I get its a great tool to communicate with people but I don't how about politicians and journalists stay out of twitter and maybe it can go back to being a funny little app where you can right 125 character messages.

Apr 18, 2014
P-Town
What gets me is that, for all their crazy and violent rhetoric they never actually DO anything. That's what makes it all feel so stupid and worthless, it's just fellatio and internet back-pats as they race to the bottom to see who can pretend to be the biggest Social Revolutionary. But not a one of them will throw a brick, or take a shot, or actually put themselves on the line to actually accomplish the change they claim to so desperately want. That's why I respect the hell out of people like Simon Bolivar, or Che Guevara. I may not agree with their politics, Guevara in particular, but they didnt just sit on their asses shit flinging while waiting for someone else to die for their cause, they threw away comfortable and easy lives to fight for something they believed in and actually made it happen. None of these twitter checkmarks would ever have the balls to take a shot at the people they claim are oppressing them so much because it would involve having to leave their cozy positions of paid, accepted opposition.
Most of them don't do anything but they rally around the violence of Antifa and I think it was just a couple of days ago an Antifa associated loser shot some people. That is the most disgusting part of this. They all appear to be part of the bourgeoisie to me. Cheering on their team from the sidelines like its a fucking game.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Why has twitter become so powerful. Its where we get our news, its where news gets there news. If one person on twitter says something the world acts like its some giant majority saying it.

Maybe it should be looked into why twitter has become the word of god essentially. I get its a great tool to communicate with people but I don't how about politicians and journalists stay out of twitter and maybe it can go back to being a funny little app where you can right 125 character messages.
News media is using tweets to create fake outrages. When they take about an outrage it is actually like 5 people on twitter at first but then they get a snowball rolling through these 5 tweets and get a outrage train ggoing which often ends in extremists views

Jan 9, 2018
Reza Aslan is truly one of the worst human beings in media, beginning with his faux-academic books for pop audiences and his now-canceled show "Believer." I'm not surprised.

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018

My favorite part about this tweet are the 5 self hating cucks that liked this tweet pictured :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Off Duty Ninja

eclipze

Mar 30, 2007

CNN and New York Times

Massacre is not a verb in this context. It’s stating that Moscow Mitch is enabling the massacres by not doing anything with the gun legislation passed by the House. That hashtag is not calling for him to be massacred 🤦🏼‍♂️