• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Apex Legends characters are LGBTQ, say EA and Respawn

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm sure that they'll add more characters as the game goes on, heterosexual white male characters will eventually be released so that the 99% of the game's players that are heterosexual white males will finally have a character that they can identify with. As we all know, there is no greater crime than releasing a game without representation, so I'm sure this oversight will be fixed soon.

Personally, I play as the robot because I identify as a toaster.

Well, for the white representation, they better include Ninja and Yo-Landi Visser to go along with your Chappie bot!

MV5BYzVmZTU4ZTUtYmQ1NC00ZDU1LTliNzEtMjc5OTA4MTU5ZGEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_UY317_CR130,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
MV5BNWJjMmE3M2MtZWQ2Yy00YWY3LTgzY2ItOTNmNTExNTYyMTg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_UY317_CR131,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Ulysses 31

Guess it was no coincidence that in one of the trailers it was the chick doing most of the ass kicking and saving the dude at least 3 times either... >.>

ZeroGravity

This is basically what I call the diversity dick measuring contest. Developers tripping over one another to try and get their game the biggest edge in selling themselves toward people who, in all likelihood, won't even play their game to begin with. Call me cynical but it's so bizarre and it almost always feels like it's coming from a place of marketing and not any genuine desire for diversity.

This is basically what I call the diversity dick measuring contest. Developers tripping over one another to try and get their game the biggest edge in selling themselves toward people who, in all likelihood, won't even play their game to begin with. Call me cynical but it's so bizarre and it almost always feels like it's coming from a place of marketing and not any genuine desire for diversity.

If this thread didn’t exist, most people here would never have known.

It’s as simple as a line on a bio page for one character and an interview question answered for another: that’s it

Skyr

Besidesall the bullshit tho. The game looks super fun. Having a blast watching the doc play right now.

What are you talking about? I'm sure it is absolutely genuine and that it isn't just limited to superficial things like skin color or sexuality. The game just came out. You have to give them time to release all the characters so you can see just how diverse they will really be. I hear the next character will be a game journalist. After that will be an overweight white woman with pink hair and a "fuck men" t-shirt.

ZeroGravity

If this thread didn’t exist, most people here would never have known.

It’s as simple as a line on a bio page for one character and an interview question answered for another: that’s it
They've been out in interviews since the game launched touting its diversity. The Bloodhound non-binary was something known day one.

They don't need to send out press releases stating every character's sexuality because they know this will all filter through the channels that care about it. Danny O'Dwyer was on twitter praising the game for having more black female characters than Overwatch. Like I said, dick measuring contest to these people. The social justice crowd does the job for them.

Last edited:

kizito

Read a post above you. They answered questions in an interview. They didn’t post billboards outside your house.
All they did was answer a question that was asked to them.

Fair, they answered the questions, but still, it's a class-based multiplayer FPS, why would they imagine the sexual background of the characters. Maybe I am living in the wrong era, but nobody used to care about sexual orientation of a fictional videogame character (safe a few exceptions) until last years. Now every multiplayer FPS needs to be inclusive and the characters need to have a set sexual orientation by the devs.
Shouldn't they focus on more important stuff than losing their time with setting a sexual orientation for characters whose only action is shooting at other people ? I am just wondering when in the character creation process, among relevant stuff for an FPS like "retired assassin" or "animals hunter", they think about "oh yeah, this guy is non-binary".

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, no need to play this game.

I don’t need the sexuality of game characters shoved down my throat, especially in a game that has absolutely nothing to do with sex or the relationships between characters.

It’s a BR. The whole point is to kill each other. There’s no reason to even discuss the sexuality of the characters

Last edited by a moderator:

I don’t need the sexuality of game characters shoved down my throat, especially in a game thst has absolutely nothing to do with sex or the relationships between characters.

It’s a BR. The whole point is to kill each other. There’s no reason to even discuss the sexuality of the characters

Nothing is being shoved anywhere (insert joke here). That’s hyperbole.

You want to be angry about this. This is nothing.

You guys sound like every character has to be straight or sexless/undeclared, in every game, ever.

Heaven forbid devs can use a little creativity/imagination, however shallow it may be in some cases.

Don’t act like the opening cinematic to the game is a bunch of gay people fucking

Last edited:
Ea going all out on that pc culture....problem is once you dip the toe in the pool you cant jump out because as soon as you don’t cater for these people they turn on you like rabbid animals

I think it’s great they are including this sort of stuff but using it as a marketing tool is treating lgbtq like a fashion statement instead of a life choice.

Ea going all out on that pc culture....problem is once you dip the toe in the pool you cant jump out because as soon as you don’t cater for these people they turn on you like rabbid animals

I think it’s great they are including this sort of stuff but using it as a marketing tool is treating lgbtq like a fashion statement instead of a life choice.

The only marketing is one line on a bio page and one answer in an interview that people are now headlining.

What else should they have done? If they have him kissing his boyfriend in the opening cinematic people would have REALLY raged

There’s no winning.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

They didn't market this at all. They were asked a simple question, and they gave a simple answer.

Nothing is being shoved anywhere (insert joke here). That’s hyperbole.

You want to be angry about this. This is nothing.

You guys sound like every character has to be straight or sexless/undeclared, in every game, ever.

Heaven forbid devs can use a little creativity, however shallow it may be.
People are innately distrustful of agendas. Like, so far, the loot boxes in Apex haven't been THAT bad, but the fact that they were willing to go there in the first place makes me wonder how far exactly they are willing to go. Agendas aren't a one time thing, and unless checked, they can lead to some absolutely revolting extremes.

I'm less concerned about diversity quotas than I am loot boxes, but the whole "get woke, go broke" isn't just a cliche. It usually happens because eventually developers (or movie producers) start insulting their very fans (in the most heinous ways possible) for their own missteps and mistakes because they'd rather make a righteous product than a good one. And in every case, they started out with a good product that was corrupted over time by a stupid agenda. So people are right to distrust any agenda other than "make the best product possible and keep our fans happy".

McCheese

This seems fine, hardly "in your face" by writing about them in the bio. I like the idea that the masked character is non-binary, I remember the meme about the pyro in TF being a woman underneath the outfit and it feels like they've just taken that and run with it somewhat.

But let's be honest, the cast of Apex are probably the weakest element of the game. They are all so ugly and unremarkable that I can't imagine many folks will be wanting to buy cosmetics for them. I give it 6 months until they release some hotties with cute DLC so they can actually pay their staff. But this is a non-story really, it's not like they did a '76 and made a much beloved and already established character retroactively gay.

Last edited:

thief183

Well, if that is so important to them why straight White males are behind a paywall? Why if I want to as my own race and gender I have to Pay?

I don’t need the sexuality of game characters shoved down my throat, especially in a game that has absolutely nothing to do with sex or the relationships between characters.

Ironically, I would argue that a couple of words in a character bio indicating that someone is gay is much less "shoved down your throat" than a forum post that wishes to talk about ONLY that one aspect of things, and says "hey everyone, look at this!"

Consider a more "SJW" forum reacting to this hypothetical example

New Battle Royale game. One of the character bios shows a female character in her leisure time, relaxing on a beach. Then an "SJW" forum member posts "look at this objectified woman in a bikini! Look at what they're shoving down our throats!"

Would the developer in that example be trying to shove a sexualized character down people's throats? Who really is the one making something into an issue here, and why is it any different if GAF does it?

Aside from that, the game is free, and it's really good. You shouldn't miss out because of "us vs them" nonsense.

Boss Mog

I guess they really want you to know how woke they are with almost no white characters some of which are LGBT apparently. Whatever, the game is pretty good and that's all that really matters.

TeamGhobad

Banned
SAMOANS/MAORIS will feel very upset to learn a traditional island character is gay. just saying. this is not how u promote diversity and inclusion.

sol_bad

Who gives a shit if all you are doing is killing each other and there is o narrative? The straight characters don't even matter, gender and sexuality doesn't cross my mind, just killing the next mofo.

Last edited:
Aside from that, the game is free, and it's really good.
It's a good start. But whether it has legs or not will depend on the season pass (daily or weekly goals, ongoing storyline, new items and weapons, new characters), whether the game gets other modes (solos, duos, novelty modes) or changes the map (many of the areas feel very samey), and what kind of cosmetics they make available for it (new textures are boring and the unique skins aren't much better). After only a few days, it is already starting to feel kind of old and there isn't really a feeling of progression or much incentive to get better at the game.

If it is nothing more than what it is right now, I give it three months. Depending on how well it rips everything else off from Fortnite, it could have potential. But when the newness wears off and Fortnite is starting a new season, I don't see many people sticking around.

Solomeena

Banned
Ugh, gaming is just fucked these days. I might just give up on it all together. I just want to kill people, i don't need to know that some character has a girlfriend or a boyfriend and that they invest in some imaginary stocks and that they plan on adopting 3 kids and buy a farm house to raise them in with 2 dogs and a cat.

Paasei

The fact that people really do care about this in a free-to-play FPS game that's about nothing more than killing each other, is beyond me.

McCheese

You guys will be regretting your words and deeds when it turns out it's the robot who thinks he's an attack helicopter.

looking at all these characters where is the straight white male character?

He's probably lost in some thread somewhere getting all worked up and bitching about something pointless.

Special ability: feign outrage. Ultimate: Blow things out of proportion.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I should add that I think people who will not play the game due to this are stupid. As stupid as it is to have LGBwhatever characters, it's even stupider to not play the game for that reason. It doesn't have any impact on the gameplay itself and the game doesn't shove it down your throat.

The Bloodhound being none-binary ......... do you even see their face in the game? If not, well, you can make the character whatever the fuck you want it to be anyway.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
looking at all these characters where is the straight white male character?
All the white straight men are smoking cigars in a plush room somewhere being served bourbon by big breasted women, and betting on the winners.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
My Unreal Tournament 2004 avatar lost his savings on the 18-1 Patriots losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl. His wife left him and he ended up penniless in the gutter living on frozen burritos and Popov vodka in Boca Raton, Florida.

Deft Beck

Speaking as a gay man, I don't really care about this sort of thing if it's ancillary to the core story and gameplay.

Top Bottom