• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Apex Legends characters are LGBTQ, say EA and Respawn

Shin

Banned
APEX LEGENDS is already making waves in the battle royale genre and it’s also proving to be ahead of the game when it comes to LGBTQ representation, too.
Both EA and Respawn has confirmed that there are two APEX LEGENDS LGBTQ CHARACTERS, amounting to a quarter of the current roster.
These LGBTQ Legends, to give them their in-game titles, are part of the game’s forward-thinking approach to the representation of minority and marginalized groups.

EA’s official bio page for the Legends specifically notes the sexuality of Gibraltar, one of eight characters you can play as in Respawn’s just-released battle royale.
He is revealed to have once gone on a joyride with when he and “his boyfriend stole his father’s motorcycle,” making him an openly gay or bisexual protagonist a launch, a rarity in the medium.

The LGBTQ representation doesn’t stop there. As revealed by Jay Frechette, community manager at Respawn, during an interview with RPS is the fact that there is a second Apex Legends LGBTQ character, with Frechette confirming to reporter Nic Rueben that, “Bloodhound is non-binary, or at least non-specified, in terms of gender.”

Credit: Game Revolution

Nydus

Gold Member
God I really don't care. I also don't go around in RL and ask the waiter if he's gay or question the sexuality of the girl next to me while riding the bus.

Why do they push this shit so hard? And to be clear: I'm not against LGBTQ. I also don't care who the strait people fuck with. It's a game about shooting people dead. Not finding my hidden sexuality and sharing it with the world...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
giphy.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What's so funny about Bloodhound being "non-binary, or at least not specified, in terms of gender" is that the character model is ambiguous anyway. No one really needed to be told that. But for them to say "well, you know how you can't guess Bloodhound's gender because of their baggy clothes, facemask, and ambiguous animation? Hah, well that was intentional, because Bloodhound identifies as non-binary".

Non-binary and not specified are two completely things.

giphy.gif

I’m having PTSD flashbacks to the Soldier: 76 thread.

Honestly I don’t think it needs a new thread every time this happens. It’s gonna keep happening more and more, and the conversation never changes.

For me it’s just a non-issue. Good for them. Move on, back to playing the game.

The “representation in gaming” thread is more than comprehensive enough to contain all these news bits related to that discussion, imo. Just seems like this just gives the same people a new reason to either rally for or rail against the creative decisions, all over again, over and over.

(Yes, I’m one of those people, I realize this)

I’ll let the devs present their characters anyway they want. Just don’t insult your customers while taking these paths and everyone should be just fine.

Edit:

This all seems completely harmless to me.

One character had a line about his boyfriend stealing his bike, this being on his bio page on the game’s official site. No problem

Other character was revealed after being asked a question in interview.

Everything is okay.

Last edited:

Sentenza

In context, I find a bit hilarious that the only (apprent) caucasoid in the game is A) behind a paywall and B) literally the "toxic man".
Maaaybe a bit on the nose, uh?

Last edited:

Fbh

Cool I guess. Everyone wins.
-SJW's get their representation.
-EA gets their cheap PR.
-And everyone else is unaffected by it because I'm willing to bet that questioning the sexual orientation/gender of the characters is something that doesn't even cross the minds of the vast majority of people when playing a multiplayer only shooter with no real story or dialog

Last edited:
Cool I guess. Everyone wins.
-SJW's get their representation.
-EA gets their cheap PR.
-And everyone else is unaffected by it because I'm willing to bet that questioning the sexual orientation/gender of the characters is something that doesn't even cross the minds of the vast majority of people when playing a multiplayer only shooter with no real story or dialog

giphy.gif

You nailed it.

/thread (for real)

Dunki

Look I do not care if they are gay but if you use this as marketing toy you run into the same issue Battlefield V did. Next day there will be reports about the backlash and then EA/Respawn defend their answer and tell everyone who did not like it a gamergater

jadedm17

God I really don't care. I also don't go around in RL and ask the waiter if he's gay or question the sexuality of the girl next to me while riding the bus.

Why do they push this shit so hard? And to be clear: I'm not against LGBTQ. I also don't care who the strait people fuck with. It's a game about shooting people dead. Not finding my hidden sexuality and sharing it with the world...

Personally to me it seems as just another way to enjoy the game. People like being represented. I dont get into the lore and such and Overwatch was just a fun game to me but if having gay and other characters makes someone else enjoy the game more --something that wont effect or hurt my enjoyment ----- then thats cool.

Ar¢tos

Next trend: Pansexual or objectophile characters, because LGBT is already old news and doesn't provide clicks.

kingbean

Congrats, I too can say things that aren't important.

Edit: You know I don't think I can recall the last time I read a character bio. Maybe the final fantasy 8 game book?

Video game characters are almost irrelevant to the gameplay and that's why I play games so I might not be the best barometer.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
“Bloodhound is non-binary, or at least non-specified, in terms of gender.”

Bloodhound is non-specific...non gendered...yea? Well so is Pathfinder, the robot. Big fucking whoop.

Last edited:
pvlofejnpguzi3brfnin.jpg

Hi guys. Andrew Wilson here from EA and I just wanted to let you know, that we've always been great supporters of the LGBTQBRAAAAAP community. We know statistics point out that being woke ingratiates us with the young progressive demographic and increases profits, but believe us, this isn't about profits even though it really looks like it actually is about profits since we've seen the Kaepernick effect and every single thing we do is for the sake of more profit, but not this. Open, inclusive, visceral, EXPERIE......n....c...Must...obtain...additional...... MICROTRANSAC....

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
sorry i ain't woke enough but they've added a Q now? I thought it was just LGBT? someone enlighten my soul and tell me what Q stands for?

<<< my face right now irl. this is getting out of hand.

Last edited:

Breakage

I'm thankful to have grown up in an age where game developers didn't feel compelled to make "we have XYZ representation in our game" announcements. The western obsession with identity is an utter blight.

Top Bottom