• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Apex Legends characters are LGBTQ, say EA and Respawn

ZywyPL

Banned
This is doomguy
He doesn’t care about gender identity..sexual persuasion or back story

He has a gun and he shoots shit...in fact you could just leave the helmet on and call it doomperson

I wish devs would go back to simply concentrating on the actual games instead of trying to insert shit to appease x or y group

Careful with the examples. You never know, next week we might learn that under this bad ass armor is actually a black pedophile or something... Those cheap sensations is what triggers me so much, if the companies want to be mentally retarded.... I mean, politically correct, they shouldn't put ANY characters and story into the games to begin with, instead make fully customizable characters, where everyone chooses his/her gender, color skin, body type, face etc., every player out there would be happy, without forcing those cheap sensations into the community. And this is slowly getting out of control, within a few year all we will be able to play in games will be black lesbians and gays, Apex already has almost zero white characters, I simply cannot fight the feeling that games are becoming racist towards straight white people due to all this politically correct compensation.

Tumle

do companies never learn?
This reminds me of the outrage back in the day when they told us mario and Luigis profession.. who the hell cares?
Them being plummers, didn’t help with my enjoyment of eating mushrooms and stomping on small animals!

STOP PUTTING NARATIVE INTO GAMES THAT DOESN'T NEED IT!!

Am I doing this right?
Am I not caring, enough?

Whitecrow

Banned
SJW are toxic people who just wants to poison other people's normal life by complaining everywhere they can.
Like en ex that doesnt stop going after you when you are trying to move on.

Being upset is the natural reaction, nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:
Like what was said in the BFV sales under performing thread, nothing will be learned, they'll just double down.

EA had nothing to do with this game. The developers confirmed as much. There's a couple of words about a male character's boyfriend in a character bio. That's it. Should no characters in games be gay?

If that's not what you're saying, and this is the wrong way to put a gay character in a game, what is the right way? I mean, I hated the garbage they put in BFV quite a bit, but this isn't that.

RedVIper

Banned
EA had nothing to do with this game. The developers confirmed as much. There's a couple of words about a male character's boyfriend in a character bio. That's it. Should no characters in games be gay?

If that's not what you're saying, and this is the wrong way to put a gay character in a game, what is the right way? I mean, I hated the garbage they put in BFV quite a bit, but this isn't that.

In a game like this, why do the characters have to be anything at all lol

Zewp

SJW are toxic people who just wants to poison other people's normal life by complaining everywhere they can. natural reaction

Whitecrow says, as he posts in a 250 post thread complaining because 2 characters are gay.

The irony in these threads is always the best part.

ookami

What the hell... I can't believe we now have to precise the sexual orientation of characters in an interview to appeal to communities. It feels so wrong... So calculated.
Why not just stage intelligently the lore of the game to make it understandable by players by just using their brain? I mean, if you don't have the resources to suggest it on cinematics then is it so hard to maybe have some line of dialogue hinting this? Maybe some external content like a comic on the story of characters... I don't know...

Zaru

It's funny to see people celebrate this utterly forgettable mediocrity of character design just because they're not straight white males.
Then again they probably wouldn't look any more interesting if they were all white. Some development teams just don't have anyone who can make memorable, appealing character designs and I struggle to remember a single face from the Titanfall series (and I've played TF2 last MONTH)

Ar¢tos

How desperate are devs these days to get people's attention to their games that they need to label characters with no backstory as LGBT?
What's next? How low can they go next?
Gay-for-pay characters? Breast cancer survivor character? Sexually molested when he/she was a child character? Born in refugee camp character?
It's really sad the path this industry is taking.

Meccs

I normally don't care and no one else would but it's the "in your face" I don't like. It's not enough that they include those characters in the game as if it would be a normal, natural thing. No, now everything has to be gay, trans or even "gender neutral" and lets write 5 articles about that fact. I vastly prefer games where I can my own character that can be as gay, lesbian, queer or retardedly normal as I want.

Last edited:
In a game like this, why do the characters have to be anything at all lol

If the Bio was the exact same, only it said girlfriend instead of boyfriend, would you care?

I don't care if someone identifies a pink elephant. You do you. I just don't think half baked forced pandering to score points with twitter mobs who don't play games is the way to go about it.

You didn't answer either of my questions. I'm not trying to "got you!" here, I'm trying to challenge you and ask you to defend your opinion logically.

Should no characters in games be gay?

If that's not what you're saying, and this is the wrong way to put a gay character in a game, what is the right way?

I think this all started when "cool, a diverse cast of characters!" became "Ugh, not another straight white male!" and now everyone treats this as a zero-sum game of us vs them, keeps careful score, and doesn't want to lose ground. And that's a shame. But I'll still argue the point, same as I'll argue in favor of sexy characters. There's nothing wrong with a gay character in a game, and there's nothing wrong with some cleavage. Same as there's nothing wrong with straight white males and more modestly dressed characters.

Zewp

Why you are still here ? Go on Trashsetera with your mentality... :)

Translation: dude made a good point and I don't really know how to counter it. I know, I'll just tell him to go to Resetera instead! That'll show him!

You vapid anti-SJWs are the minority on NeoGAF. You just happen to be a very loud minority.

If the Bio was the exact same, only it said girlfriend instead of boyfriend, would you care?

We all know the answer to that, but don't expect an honest answer.

Last edited:
Basically.

This is a non story. Why are people so bent out of shape about this?

It's dumb advertising aimed at shallow millennial. It's nothing new. You're not the target audience. Move on before you become the grouchy old people your grandparents were when you were young and thought that video games would rot your brain.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Translation: dude made a good point and I don't really know how to counter it. I know, I'll just tell him to go to Resetera instead! That'll show him!

You vapid anti-SJWs are the minority on NeoGAF. You just happen to be a very loud minority.

Incorrect, Neogaf is way more enjoyable now all the SJWs fled to the dreadful little island they are currently residing, attacking their own if anyone dares slip up and say something like Caitlyn Jenner isn't a beautiful hero.

You might need to join them, people arent interested callout posts and playing the victim.

angelic

Banned
Okay...

Some heavy projection going on here. Do you guys ever take a step back and look at yourselves?

Except that the poster is correct. SJWs do it because they get a little dopamine hit from spoiling things. Its never about their feelings, its all about their chase for instant gratification and need for acceptance (in a peer group of equally egotistical cretinous angsty children).

Read between the lines people: what they're really saying is we get to shoot minorities, gays, and LGBTQs in the face.

I jest, I jest.

TacosNSalsa

Shiieeett... I care! I want to know who to equip with my pink unicorn gun . I want to look fabulous when I get shot in the back by a dude that's been hiding in a bush for 5 mins :messenger_neutral:

Kind of relevant. In the Division 2 you don't get to choose a gender. You choose a "body type".
I assumed body type was about choosing a muscular, chubby, slim body. Nope.
And it feels like half of all enemies are women. Gender equality in the apocalypse. Cool.

You didn't answer either of my questions. I'm not trying to "got you!" here, I'm trying to challenge you and ask you to defend your opinion logically.

No?

I commented on the fact that EA thinks that there is this untapped sales they are going to get by pandering to the woke mob ala BFV. If you understood that as me saying there shouldn't be ANY LGBT in games that's on you, I'm not going to get in an argument with you about something I didn't say.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
mpyDm1W.jpg

rəddəM

These Apex Legends are horrible.
Even they realize they don't know WTF they're doing.
The game is actually fun to play.

Mercer_CAR

Banned
God I really don't care. I also don't go around in RL and ask the waiter if he's gay or question the sexuality of the girl next to me while riding the bus.

Why do they push this shit so hard? And to be clear: I'm not against LGBTQ. I also don't care who the strait people fuck with. It's a game about shooting people dead. Not finding my hidden sexuality and sharing it with the world...

The LGBT blah blah blah community cares. They crave their poz lifestyle being represented. Their entire existence is based around being recognise and trying every way they can to force majority CIS gen companies to represent them....

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
And all of a sudden, when I was wishing Respawn all the best and great success with the game, now I hope it bombs. Fuck EA for real, what a douchebag publisher.
So because Respawn has these characters you want the game to fail? What a short-sighted and insultive view to the hard work involved into making these games. But from behind the keyboard, its easy talking.

You want the game to bomb just because of this?
People want to see games bomb for the most dumb reasons honestly. So what that the game has these characters. That by itself is not problematic.

It is how this stuff is brought forward through a public announcement like its an important thing that is problematic.

If something like this, which isn’t in the game and has no bearing on in-game experience ( it’s literally just a blurb on the website) makes some people feel represented, that’s awesome.

If the representation doesn’t apply or isn’t relevant to you, cool as well, no harm done.

No one has to “lose,” here, this doesn’t come at the expense of anyone or anything.

Getting upset over creative decisions like this, which are harmless, really confuses me.

Respawn isn’t protesting anything, or championing anything. LGBTQ people exist. It’s as simple as that.
Does that really need a PSA? I don't think so. Because the intent of this kind of non-news is not as geniune as you think it is.

What makes you think so?

I ve disliked this company ever since the microtransaction debacle in Star Wars Batlefront
You only disliked EA then? If you ever needed a good reason to dislike EA's managers (NOT EA as a whole) then look no further than Dungeon Keeper 2013/2014. Truly, the micro-transactional nightmare of the future.

JP-FREEMIUM-jumbo.jpg

Dungeon Keeper 2013/2014 is what i call a literal trash-tier game.

Pixels on a screen is all I've ever noticed in gaming. That's all it is, pixels.
Except now those virtual pixels identify as real life gender people, and what's more, those virtual pixels have rights. We can't condemn them anymore because those pixels are now living embodiments just like real people.

I for one find the idea of a virtual character that has no sense of being and is played by a humanoid suddenly having rights or is for gender equality an hilarious one. They are literal zombies played by human players yet developers think those literal zombies should represent something, to the point where its not even relevant to the gameplay. But hey, atleast the game can say it has these characters.

Personally i don't mind but i love pondering the train of thought that goes through these devs making these decisions public. If it is no big deal, why draw attention to it by announcing that some characters are LGBTQI? That to me says you actually do want to draw attention to it.

And to that i say: Why? Why is it so mightly important that these minorities get a special spotlight? LGBTers are accepted the moment they do not get that specialized attention any longer, so why announce that you have these characters? To me, it feels like raising attention for an issue that only exists in the developers minds. If you are decent folk, you would accept LGBTers automatically without thinking twice.

What these developers PR people want, is that you are actually thinking twice about it. And that is absolute horseshit to me.

If that's not what you're saying, and this is the wrong way to put a gay character in a game, what is the right way?

I think this all started when "cool, a diverse cast of characters!" became "Ugh, not another straight white male!" and now everyone treats this as a zero-sum game of us vs them, keeps careful score, and doesn't want to lose ground. And that's a shame. But I'll still argue the point, same as I'll argue in favor of sexy characters. There's nothing wrong with a gay character in a game, and there's nothing wrong with some cleavage. Same as there's nothing wrong with straight white males and more modestly dressed characters.
No?

I commented on the fact that EA thinks that there is this untapped sales they are going to get by pandering to the woke mob ala BFV. If you understood that as me saying there shouldn't be ANY LGBT in games that's on you, I'm not going to get in an argument with you about something I didn't say.

Again, for a third time...

I'm not trying to misrepresent your opinion. I'm asking for clarification. Perhaps it would help to consider our same arguments coming from a debate about sexualized characters.

Should no female characters in games be sexualized?

If that's not what you're saying, and this is the wrong way to sexualize a female character in a game, what is the right way?

I commented on the fact that Japan thinks that there is this untapped sales they are going to get by pandering to horny male gamers. If you understood that as me saying there shouldn't be ANY SEXUALIZED WOMEN in games that's on you, I'm not going to get in an argument with you about something I didn't say.

But you're the one arguing that this is pandering and isn't the right way to do it, without providing an explanation for what wouldn't be pandering and would be the right way to go about this.

And that's not just a question for you, but a question for anyone here. If this is the wrong way to put a gay character in a game, what is the right way? I think sexualized characters and minority characters have that in common. If every appearance of them is dismissed as pandering, how could they ever be included in some mythical "right way" that people should be fine with?

We all know the answer to that, but don't expect an honest answer.

It's funny to see someone who supports a minority trying to pass a majority for a minority ... People who do not care, if they had to make a choice, they would be against you ... More more people are fed up with SJW and their bullshit ...

Bryank75

Banned
I usually play as Gibraltar, he doesn't sound gay to me but maybe I'm just used to the ones that have the stereotypical gay voice and expressions.
Anyway I don't care if one or two characters are a bit quirky, as long as they introduce a blonde or light brown haired guy the next time.

Got my first win as the portal character last night, was super fun.

Burger

To me this whole load of nonsense is like doing a drawing of a man, and labeling it "Drawing of Gay Man".

A friend who produces commercials had to do one for a cleaning product, and the agency wanted a couple in their apartment with one of them cleaning. You wouldn't believe the amount of hand wringing done over race and sexuality. Straight couple? Well the woman can't be cleaning. Mixed race? Well the black person can't be cleaning. Lesbian couple? Shouldn't they be mixed race? I think the end result was 2 gay asian men. That seemed to tick a lot of boxes.

These meetings are happening all the time, I can guarantee you they happened on this game. How to cause the least amount of controversy and offend the lowest amount of people. I'm not arguing against ticking boxes, but it's a real difficult thing to get perfect.

Ivellios

I'd agree with you except for two things. Despite the fact that their playerbase is almost entirely white males, the only white male character is behind a paywall and literally toxic (also the least attractive character). I don't feel obligated to play as a good looking, hetrosexual, white male (I like the robot), but it does seem to me that this was an intentional decision and that worries me. It's way too on the nose for it to be accidental and it seems almost like it is challenging the very people they are asking to be their fans.

Second, the game has microtransactions and lots of them. Like, a seriously offensive amount of ways to nickel and dime you. Mixing a political agenda with real money is never a good thing, such as when a company released a magazine that was 30% cheaper for women. Microtransactions are already an incredibly thin line to walk, and when you add a feeling of righteousness and superiority (and EA) to the mix, well... it worries me.

So, I'm not put out. Just worried. Like I was worried when I saw "The Force is Female" shirts on the people who made The Last Jedi (you know, right before there were a bunch of articles calling Star Wars fans misogynists for disliking the terrible movie). Nothing wrong with the shirts, but it did turn out to be a pretty clear harbinger of what was to come.

I believe this was not accidental, they intentionaly made the game with characters that fill diversity checkboxes and will continue to do so. Imo in doing this the game have far less variety than Overwatch or Fortnite for example.

The game microtransactions are just skins for characters and weapons, along with emotes and things like that, since it is a F2P game i dont ser any issue, except locking characters behind paywall or absurd amount of grind.

And Star Wars movies have many problems, but being a "SJW movie" is not one of them.

Kind of relevant. In the Division 2 you don't get to choose a gender. You choose a "body type".
I assumed body type was about choosing a muscular, chubby, slim body. Nope.
And it feels like half of all enemies are women. Gender equality in the apocalypse. Cool.

Weird that they dont let select your character gender.

But i see no problem whatsoever in half of the enemies being woman. In walking dead series for example there are just a equal amount of men and women.

So because Respawn has these characters you want the game to fail? What a short-sighted and insultive view to the hard work involved into making these games. But from behind the keyboard, its easy talking.

People want to see games bomb for the most dumb reasons honestly. So what that the game has these characters. That by itself is not problematic.

It is how this stuff is brought forward through a public announcement like its an important thing that is problematic.

Does that really need a PSA? I don't think so. Because the intent of this kind of non-news is not as geniune as you think it is.

You only disliked EA then? If you ever needed a good reason to dislike EA's managers (NOT EA as a whole) then look no further than Dungeon Keeper 2013/2014. Truly, the micro-transactional nightmare of the future.

JP-FREEMIUM-jumbo.jpg

Dungeon Keeper 2013/2014 is what i call a literal trash-tier game.

Except now those virtual pixels identify as real life gender people, and what's more, those virtual pixels have rights. We can't condemn them anymore because those pixels are now living embodiments just like real people.

I for one find the idea of a virtual character that has no sense of being and is played by a humanoid suddenly having rights or is for gender equality an hilarious one. They are literal zombies played by human players yet developers think those literal zombies should represent something, to the point where its not even relevant to the gameplay. But hey, atleast the game can say it has these characters.

Personally i don't mind but i love pondering the train of thought that goes through these devs making these decisions public. If it is no big deal, why draw attention to it by announcing that some characters are LGBTQI? That to me says you actually do want to draw attention to it.

And to that i say: Why? Why is it so mightly important that these minorities get a special spotlight? LGBTers are accepted the moment they do not get that specialized attention any longer, so why announce that you have these characters? To me, it feels like raising attention for an issue that only exists in the developers minds. If you are decent folk, you would accept LGBTers automatically without thinking twice.

What these developers PR people want, is that you are actually thinking twice about it. And that is absolute horseshit to me.

I think it is weird that they announce that some characters are gay, like they are announcing a great feature to sell the game.

In reality i think majority do not even care, if the game is fun they will just play and dont bother with this at all.

Weird that they dont let select your character gender.

But i see no problem whatsoever in half of the enemies being woman. In walking dead series for example there are just a equal amount of men and women.

Call me a misogynist. But i don't like killing women in games. I feel they are completely out of place being in combat positions.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
1999: "bro that character you're using is gay"

2019: "bro that character you're using is gay"

Ivellios

Call me a misogynist. But i don't like killing women in games. I feel they are completely out of place being in combat positions.

It is your opnion, i dont judge labelling others calling mysogynist etc

Personally i dont even think about this when playing single player or multiplayer.

Top Bottom