• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Apex Legends characters are LGBTQ, say EA and Respawn

mckmas8808

Banned
Cheap advertising is the holy grail for businesses. The nature of the internet means that yes, even a single line of text becomes news story nowadays. They are fully aware of this fact.

All the arguing from both sides does nothing but increase the veracity of the potential fans that do become interesting, increasing their loyalty of the brand due to a perceived belief that they have to "defend" it from the "haters". You just have to look at Overwatch for the perfect example of this.

While I agree with this, that still doesn't make it "aggressive" marketing.

Thiagosc777

I made a comment earlier in the thread asking people why they care so much. Nobody seems to have provided an answer.

tumblr_n57drh1Fqv1qmsx91o3_250.gif

I think it should be obvious. These threads go in circles every time. The same people are arguing against it, the same are making dismissive remarks, with the same arguments, etc.

People are put off by a transparent attempt of pandering and virtue signaling for the purposes of marketing by a multinational corporation who has proved multiple times not to care about ethics or morality.

It also reflects poorly on the game, by changing people's perspective on it from the product of genuine expression of creativity to a cynic marketing gimmick exploiting current politics.

I am not interested in BR games (only ever played PUBG and didn't like it, it is too slow and you spend most of the time just sitting around doing nothing), but I can see people's point on this. They would like to be able to just enjoy a game, without all this nonsense being attached to it.

Last edited:
It does seem odd that "diversity" and "inclusion" once again doesn't include straight white male characters (paywall.)

Last edited:

guggnichso

Banned
None of the posts are criticizing the character’s sexuality itself - nobody is arguing that Gibraltar shouldn’t be gay, we don’t care about that - but are criticizing how hamfisted and ideological the weaponized identity politics is.

You are intentionally conflating two separate issues in a straw man attempt to dismiss the actual problem by pretending it is instead a different, more easily dismissed problem. Either this is intentional, which makes you disingenuous and kind of a dick, or it is your mistake, which means you have the reading comprehension of a third grader and should probably stay out of the big boy conversations.

Lol, this drivel reads like some shit from Sargon of Applebee’s.

„Weaponized Identity politics“ rofl 🤣

guggnichso

Banned
Can you actually counter his point?

I don’t care to. If he wanted to have a genuine discussion, he would have not proceeded to insult me, so he can just type his copypasta from KiA into the void. Similar „points“ have been adressed ad nauseam in most of the other „someone is gay in a videogame“ threads that seem to pop up on a weekly basis.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don’t care to. If he wanted to have a genuine discussion, he would have not proceeded to insult me, so he can just type his copypasta from KiA into the void. Similar „points“ have been adressed ad nauseam in most of the other „someone is gay in a videogame“ threads that seem to pop up on a weekly basis.

Cool, so you literally can't and are instead running away. Gotcha.

guggnichso

Banned
Cool, so you literally can't and are instead running away. Gotcha.

Dude, there literally IS nothing to „counter“ about his point, because he did not make a
point.

Putting gay people in video games is not in any way different than putting any other demographic in videogames because of marketing reasons.

Nearly all video game protagonists are only representations of the demographic that the developers or their marketing division think will or should most likely buy their games. That’s why you see young boys saving the world with a bunch of friends in JRPGs, that’s why you have mostly power fantasies in US made games, that’s why you’re generally a young girl in games about horses.

Nearly ALL videogame protagonists are pure pandering and meant to interest a specific demographic.

HOWEVER there’s only ever a big outrage about this type of marketing ploy when it’s about someone being gay on this board or KiA or similar places where people need to signal about the „evul Ess Jay Dubyas“. It’s the equivalent of Reseteras „Oh noes, AGAIN the protagonists is an evul white man“.

It’s dumb shit and sperging about how you all „don’t care“ and then spent 8 pages on this forum not caring at all, like, really, is just a big fucking joke.

It’s even more of a joke if you look at how often THIS EXACT SAME THREAD pops up here.

Putting gay people in video games is not in any way different than putting any other demographic in videogames because of marketing reasons.
Virtue signalling isn't marketing. Marketing is about reaching a particular audience and making them excited about your product. How is making the only white male character unaccessible to a primarily white male audience marketing? It is entirely about saying "ooh, look at us and how progressive and deep we are". That's about them, not about their audience.

Nearly all video game protagonists are only representations of the demographic that the developers or their marketing division think will or should most likely buy their games. That’s why you see young boys saving the world with a bunch of friends in JRPGs, that’s why you have mostly power fantasies in US made games, that’s why you’re generally a young girl in games about horses.
First of all, do you think that the demographic that the developers or their marketing division of Apex Legends think are most likely to buy their games the LGBT community?

Second, your assumptions here are incorrect. If you'll allow for a little shop talk here, this is something I've always found to be rather interesting. The reason this tends to happen is a sort of narrative darwinism, where people try different things and the things that resonate tend to stick around and get copied, eventually becoming genres and tropes. These things do have functions, at least originally.

The reason why the young boys save the world is because you need a character who is not already familiar with the game's world, which means they need a sheltered life. If they were an older hot blooded character (that is, proactive in righting the wrongs of the world), they undoubtedly would've left their village and seen the world as soon as they were able, which creates a disconnect where the player is exploring something the characters already have intimate knowledge of - that's why you see the beginning of this journey, not join a character after they have gone through it. And if they weren't proactive about righting wrongs, they'd never leave the village in the first place. Narratively, you need a hot blooded character with a strong moral center who is thrust into a dangerous, unfamiliar world because that gives you the skeleton from which you hang the actual adventure. It's a trope because it is really fucking good at doing the thing that it needs to do. You might remember it from the pandering work called Lord of the Rings.

That's not the only way to do that story. You can also have the John Wick way, where you have a retired expert in their field re-emerge from self exile ("He thought he was out, but he was wrong"). They have the skills and talent, but the world has changed during their absence. This allows the writer to create a Man versus the World narrative because the man no longer belongs to or is tied to the world, and it has changed enough that it is once again unfamiliar. It is slightly more difficult to do as a JRPG because you'd have to explain why this skilled and talented man is level 1 and has to relearn all his skills and talents (the Samus problem), but it's possible. And it has been done as well.

These things all have functions that they perform. They are story patterns that solve very specific recurring story goals in a sort of narrative shorthand. These patterns have been picked up and standardized to the point where entire genres have been built around them. For instance, the shounen battle genre with stuff like One Piece, My Hero Academia, Fairy Tail, Hunter X Hunter, Dragon Ball, and so on are all built around these tropes and then developed additional tropes on top of it (specifically the willpower based power system deciding their effectiveness in battle, as narratively, it more satisfying to tie victory to an emotional catharsis than have the outcome dictated by an actual gulf in ability).

Nearly ALL videogame protagonists are pure pandering and meant to interest a specific demographic.
Again, what is the specific demographic of an entirely minority cast with two gay characters and a non-binary character in a military online shooter, and do they buy a lot of games?

HOWEVER there’s only ever a big outrage about this type of marketing ploy when it’s about someone being gay on this board or KiA or similar places where people need to signal about the „evul Ess Jay Dubyas“. It’s the equivalent of Reseteras „Oh noes, AGAIN the protagonists is an evul white man“.
I have no problems with gay characters. I have a problem with ideologues who put righteous ahead of right. There is absolutely a way for Apex Legends to have gay and even non-binary characters in an appropriate way that enforces the themes of the work and delivers a stronger game. They, however, did not do it that way.

It’s dumb shit and sperging about how you all „don’t care“ and then spent 8 pages on this forum not caring at all, like, really, is just a big fucking joke.
Again, what people don't care about and what this thread is about is two entirely separate things. The fact that you continually attempt to conflate the two is doing little to give you the high ground you seem to think you deserve.

It’s even more of a joke if you look at how often THIS EXACT SAME THREAD pops up here.
It wouldn't happen so often if the god damned game developers took a fucking second and learned how to do their jobs effectively. I could think of a thousand ways to do exactly what Apex Legends thought it was doing in a respectful, honest way that would not have yielded a thread like this. People should not walk away from representation - actual representation - wondering how it is going to fuck up the game's future.

I love talking craft, so I'll answer these questions for you.

Basically, Chekhov's Gun. If there's a gun in the first act, then it has to go off in the third act. Don't put anything in that is irrelevant because it bogs down the story and it creates expectations for its use by the viewer. So if being gay has no relevance to the plot, motivation, action, or whatever, just hold on to that information until such time that it becomes relevant. Having a gay boyfriend doesn't mean anything if this boyfriend isn't a character or familiar to the viewer. It's okay for them to be gay and it not be drawn attention to - you just don't write anything that would indicate otherwise. Then, when it becomes important (because being gay is an obstacle, a motivation, or a solution), you can draw attention to it without it feeling like a surprising reveal or an unnecessary bullet point on a list of character attributes.

It's the thing where you have to describe a character without mentioning their job or what they are wearing. If you can only describe a character as 'gay' but can't describe anything else about why that matters, then you've created a stereotype, not a character (much less a gay one).

I've been watching Xabungle, an early 80s giant robot anime made for children, and it's got a surprising amount of nudity in it. There's toplessness is every other episode. Apparently, this was not a problem for children 40 years ago, but we can't even handle that as adults today. If you really want to be blown away, check out Ms. Machiko. Also an anime for children with tons of nudity.

So I think it is a pretty weird idea that there is a wrong way to sexualize a female character because it's obvious that there are societies out there that do not have the same hang ups that we do about it. This means that it is not the act itself which is wrong, but the viewpoints of those judging the act.

However, as a writer, you never want to make something gratuitous (unless gratuitous is your goal - a valid decision). Basically, every work you create has a purpose. Some idea or story that you are trying to convey, and something that is gratuitous draws attention away from the purpose of the work (in the same way as described above with Chekhov's Gun). You have to know when and where to use things so that they enhance a work rather than drown it, and I think Xabungle has been rather illuminating to me in that it absolutely doesn't do this, even though you would think that topless nudity doesn't really have a place in children's giant robot anime. It ultimately doesn't come across as excessive because it is appropriately used - Xabungle is a comedy (and a parody) and it turns out that nudity can be very funny, dramatic, or satirical.

If I were going into a work with the intention of creating a gay character, I would first try to figure out how being gay informs his motivations and personality. Is it an obstacle for advancement? Does he love a character who can't love him back? Is he doing something for the purposes of showing off to another character? In all honesty, I'd probably make his main motivation being his sexuality, but I wouldn't draw attention directly to it (similar to Renly in Game of Thrones) so that the people who are paying attention would be rewarded with a deeper understanding of the character.

Within the world of Apex Legends, there's not much I can think of where it would matter. That's not to say that it couldn't matter. Perhaps there will be some element of plot in the season passes that could make use of this character trait. But since it isn't there yet, I would keep it in my back pocket for the time being. As the writer, I would be aware of him being gay, but I'd also have inside knowledge of a whole host of things that make up his character that the audience just wouldn't care about or would draw the wrong conclusions from. It's my job to put those things into the work where applicable in a way that enhances the work.

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply. I thought I'd quote your full post, and then respond to various statements below with my own opinions and questions.

Basically, Chekhov's Gun. If there's a gun in the first act, then it has to go off in the third act. Don't put anything in that is irrelevant because it bogs down the story and it creates expectations for its use by the viewer. So if being gay has no relevance to the plot, motivation, action, or whatever, just hold on to that information until such time that it becomes relevant. Having a gay boyfriend doesn't mean anything if this boyfriend isn't a character or familiar to the viewer. It's okay for them to be gay and it not be drawn attention to - you just don't write anything that would indicate otherwise. Then, when it becomes important (because being gay is an obstacle, a motivation, or a solution), you can draw attention to it without it feeling like a surprising reveal or an unnecessary bullet point on a list of character attributes.

While I do understand how you might feel making a character gay can feel like a bullet point on a list of character attributes, I would argue that to really move forward in making gay characters feel as unremarkable as they should, most of the time being gay shouldn't be an obstacle, motivation, or solution, it should just be.

It's odd for this game, because sexuality doesn't matter AT ALL to the in-game content, but characters shouldn't need a reason to be gay, anymore than they should need a reason to have green eyes or brown hair.

It's the thing where you have to describe a character without mentioning their job or what they are wearing. If you can only describe a character as 'gay' but can't describe anything else about why that matters, then you've created a stereotype, not a character (much less a gay one).

See, and I would disagree with this. If you can't explain why being gay matters to the story you're telling, that means you don't consider their sexuality to be a character defining aspect, which ultimately is the goal of every person who is for diversity and against identity politics, wouldn't you agree?

If I were going into a work with the intention of creating a gay character, I would first try to figure out how being gay informs his motivations and personality. Is it an obstacle for advancement? Does he love a character who can't love him back? Is he doing something for the purposes of showing off to another character? In all honesty, I'd probably make his main motivation being his sexuality, but I wouldn't draw attention directly to it (similar to Renly in Game of Thrones) so that the people who are paying attention would be rewarded with a deeper understanding of the character.

Why should being gay always be presented as an obstacle or character motivation in 2019, let alone in a fictional future world where people in all likelihood care even less about this than we would? Not that I'm saying that you can't write gay characters where their sexuality is a motivation or an obstacle, but it would be nice to see it much more often essentially not matter in video games, and movies, and novels, just like it shouldn't matter in real life.

Ironically, it's the game journalists who are making this into a big deal, not the developers. It's a few words on a character bio, until other people make it more than that.

While I do understand how you might feel making a character gay can feel like a bullet point on a list of character attributes, I would argue that to really move forward in making gay characters feel as unremarkable as they should, most of the time being gay shouldn't be an obstacle, motivation, or solution, it should just be.
I think most people consider gay characters to be unremarkable at this point. There's been literally hundreds of them across pretty much every genre, so it, in itself, is not an accomplishment or a particularly noteworthy addition to a game.

It's odd for this game, because sexuality doesn't matter AT ALL to the in-game content, but characters shouldn't need a reason to be gay, anymore than they should need a reason to have green eyes or brown hair.
If it doesn't matter, it shouldn't be brought up because it brings with it expectations that it will be of use. For instance, have you ever watched a movie where there is a male and female lead and then ended up surprised when they don't get together? It feels weird, doesn't it? Like, there's nothing weird about a platonic relationship between two coworkers, and yet, we are conditioned to think that if two attractive members of the opposite sex get together on screen, there will be a love story there. And for good reason. The love story appears so frequently because it gives the characters a reason to be together, a goal to strive for, a reason for the main storyline to be an obstacle in their life, and it gives an emotionally resonant conclusion that causes a permanent, positive change to their lives as a result of claiming victory over whatever challenge.

For instance, you defeat a dragon... wow. You did it. And then what? Tomorrow, you just go back to being a farm hand or a knight or whatever and nothing about YOU has changed. But when you defeat the dragon and save the princess and win her heart, then YOU change. Your life has changed. But what happens when you defeat the dragon, save the princess, and she doesn't care? Not only does this feel incredibly disappointing, but it also robs the story of that conclusion of how your character has grown and changed through this challenge.

But I digress. Gibralter's bio is basically "he's gay and he likes to protect people because of guilt he feels over an incident from his past". And you go, okay the guilt thing makes sense because his special powers are creating shields and protecting his team mates. That's good. That informs his character and gameplay. But what does the gay thing matter? It must be important because you know literally nothing else about him.

It's like saying "He has a dark past filled with betrayal and mistrust, causing him to keep his companions at an arm's length. Also, he has a cat named Mr. Snuggles" - and you are either going to think that is amateurishly random.

But that doesn't mean that Mr. Snuggles couldn't be relevant. I mean, here's a character who has trouble relating to other humans, but adores his cute little pet. He has a soft side. He's capable of love. It might be that another character reminds him of Mr. Snuggles so that there's a platonic affinity towards this character. That's character defining stuff - but you need to sell that relevance. You can't just say he has a cat. You need to show us why having a cat matters.

See, and I would disagree with this. If you can't explain why being gay matters to the story you're telling, that means you don't consider their sexuality to be a character defining aspect, which ultimately is the goal of every person who is for diversity and against identity politics, wouldn't you agree?
Specifically, in the case with Apex Legends, it feels like a death from a thousand paper cuts. That is, if it was just one gay character, sure, fine. If it was just one black woman, great. If one character was gender unspecified. Whatever. But it's all of these things, along with a lack of other things, which makes it feel really pushy. It's like trying to get into something with a big flashing sign that says "DIVERSITY, BITCH! DEAL WITH IT!" And you are like, what the fuck did I do?

Why should being gay always be presented as an obstacle or character motivation in 2019, let alone in a fictional future world where people in all likelihood care even less about this than we would? Not that I'm saying that you can't write gay characters where their sexuality is a motivation or an obstacle, but it would be nice to see it much more often essentially not matter in video games, and movies, and novels, just like it shouldn't matter in real life.
For me, it's just a relevance thing. If people are drawing attention to things that are irrelevant than I can't help but wonder why they failed so spectacularly at making it relevant when they easily could have.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Still plenty of sjw soy boys here. This thread is proof.
Why are you here when you think this site is beyond repair and your only recent contributions are about blanket insulting entire groups?

Vast majority of those posts read like:

“Man I don’t care, let me now explain why I care.”
Vast majority of your posts read like:

''Man you guys don't get it, this is going to happen deal with it'' whilst simultaneously ignoring any criticism leveled at your posts, such as mines.

And this post of yours is clear meta-complaining. Try addressing the criticism instead.

Indeed.

This is exactly why they do it. It's free advertising, whilst also breeding fanaticism for a brand, which is exactly how you convince people to spend more money on your product.
Do you really need to highlight gender differences as a form of PR?

I made a comment earlier in the thread asking people why they care so much. Nobody seems to have provided an answer.
I gave an answer, albeit not directly to you. Look it up. People care because that's what these highlights want you to do. To care and think about it, to think about the inclusion of LGBTQ characters like its a worthwhile thing.

When really, why should it be worthwhile? Because they are a minority they need extra attention drawn to them? How about we accept these groups more as the people they are instead of directing attention, no matter how small, to them?

Do you really need to highlight gender differences as a form of PR?
No. Which is why it's so baffling that they keep doing so.

The moment it stops being "trendy" to do this, they're start inserting something else. They're not doing it because they care. They're a businesses. Businesses only care about the money you give them, and they will stop doing this if it ever stops making them money.

When really, why should it be worthwhile? Because they are a minority they need extra attention drawn to them? How about we accept these groups more as the people they are instead of directing attention, no matter how small, to them?
Mate. I am "one of these groups".

And I completely agree. Which is why "Apex has LGBTQ+ characters" is insulting PR. Which is exactly what I was asking in the beginning. Why do people care so much that they're there? I never said those characters shouldn't be there. I'm all for it. Their inclusions shouldn't be a news story though. It's insulting to us.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

No. Which is why it's so baffling that they keep doing so.

The moment it stops being "trendy" to do this, they're start inserting something else. They're not doing it because they care. They're a businesses. Businesses only care about the money you give them, and they will stop doing this if it ever stops making them money.
So its mostly related to society's importance on these issues, which is why gaming enterprises jump into it.

Mate. I am "one of these groups".
No need to turn hostile.

And I completely agree. Which is why "Apex has LGBTQ+ characters" is insulting PR. Which is exactly what I was asking in the beginning. Why do people care so much that they're there? I never said those characters shouldn't be there. I'm all for it. Their inclusions shouldn't be a news story though. It's insulting to us.
Then the answer is simple: Because businesses promote this because there is good money involved. As a byproduct, people will criticize it. But as you say, businesses don't care, because of the money.

Last edited:

Casanova

This is good. Representation is good even if it's just for the sole reason that it challenges assumptions of every character just being a typical straight. It's pretty funny; you don't really see Reddit bois saying "Okay... who cares?!" when a developer reveals that a character has a wife and kids. They just kind shrug their shoulders and say "Yeah, this matches what I assumed to be true in the first place! Go forth mighty developer with your cleverly crafted storyline!"

Last edited:
It seems more like you actually care more than we do.

Uh how so?

The people who “don’t care,” and “don’t see why it’s needed” are posting more than anyone else.

Lol at the troll who liked your post.

Amazing this shit is still ongoing, and amazing that it’s gonna happen every single time a Dev makes this choice, no matter how subtle.

Outrage Cycle Forever

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Uh how so?

The people who “don’t care,” and “don’t see why it’s needed” are posting more than anyone else.

Amazing this shit is still ongoing, and amazing that it’s gonna happen every single time a Dev makes this choice, no matter how subtle.

Outrage Cycle Forever

...How am I a troll?

Wimbledon

I don't understand why this is important to point out. Do they want points or likes i don't get it.

Developers need to focus on balancing and making the game fun

I want the other person on the other end that i'm playing against, to weep, and crawl knowing that i decimated them into oblivion... :messenger_savoring:

All this other stuff about sexuality, gender doesn't even register as a concern to any normal player. But i get it , it's a business and right now appealing to that is popular i guess. I guess all i'm saying is if the game is fun , you shouldn't really have to pander to get brownie points because people will come an play regardless.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thats great and all but couldn't have better looking character design? this just is ugly as fuck for me.
Dyyl3KeW0AA5Lte.jpg

Uh how so?

Outrage Cycle Forever
JareBear, I just checked your post history and I see you have posted over 30 times today, and over 90 times yesterday. I'm starting to think you might have a problem. You seem to becoming increasingly unhinged and your posts are almost entirely low quality these days. You know, maybe a hobby or something away from the computer would do you a little good?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Who cares if the characters are LGBTQ? As far as I can tell it has no effect on the game and the game seems to be wildly popular. If the Devs wanna put some diversity in their game then thats fine with me. Its their game.

Also I would rather not comb through 9 pages of this thread given how Gaf usually responds to this kind of thing. Is anyone saying they aren't gonna play the game due to this?

Last edited:

Ivellios

Who cares if the characters are LGBTQ? As far as I can tell it has no effect on the game and the game seems to be wildly popular. If the Devs wanna put some diversity in their game then thats fine with me. Its their game.

Also I would rather not comb through 9 pages of this thread given how Gaf usually responds to this kind of thing. Is anyone saying they aren't gonna play the game due to this?

Very few people said they want the game to bomb or wont play the game because of this.

bilderberg

who cares has pretty much been repeated for 9 pages now. Some people view that as hate signalling.

Winter John

While the inclusion of LGBT characters in video games doesn't mean anything to me. I expect it might mean a lot to some kid who is part of that community. Some might shout about pandering and God knows what else, but if having LGBT characters in a video game brightens up somebody's day then that can only be a good thing.

Is this really necessary, seems like a cheap appeal to everyone tactic. What's next?

It may or it may not be. But even if it is, what's wrong with that? Does having a line in a bio saying that a fictional character is gay harm the game or reduce your enjoyment of the game in any way?

Dacon

Banned
As much as I hate SJWs and the things they are responsible for, I gotta say I get just as annoyed when people say shit like "soy boy" or "cuck". I can't even say why it irritates me so much, but it does.

Razvedka

Banned
This is good. Representation is good even if it's just for the sole reason that it challenges assumptions of every character just being a typical straight. It's pretty funny; you don't really see Reddit bois saying "Okay... who cares?!" when a developer reveals that a character has a wife and kids. They just kind shrug their shoulders and say "Yeah, this matches what I assumed to be true in the first place! Go forth mighty developer with your cleverly crafted storyline!"

Every time the phrase "challenges assumptions" is unironically used a kitten implodes.

There's nothing noteworthy, profound, righteous, or otherwise progressing man "forwards" (e.g. get us to Mars) about anything outlined in your post.

Respawn did this to:
1. Score cheap PR from fringe groups (that they possibly think matter to their bottom line or optics)
2. Try to put themselves on a pedestal and convey how righteous they are.

I cant make up my mind if developers pull this stuff for purely fiscal reasons (cynical adoption) or if they really do believe it matters and think they're actually fighting some good fight.

Regardless of their conviction or lack thereof, they'll only do it until it hurts their bottom line. The profit firewall purges all but the lucrative convictions ultimately.

lukilladog

There have always been a place for latinos, women, blacks, asians ,etc in video games... what is annoying now is these people taking credit and virtuosity points for it. If only it was about this, but no, they bring a whole package of toxic ideas with them (the people taking credit). So while there was always a place for diversity, now there is no place for the representation of a very pretty or sexy women, male white leaders, alpha males, dominant males, character bioses specifying weight and sex, cleavages, skirts, etc... you know, normal stuff that attracts people and can identify with. How ironic that the real feminists were fighting for the right to use mini-skirts decades ago.

Last edited:

Skux

Ironic how so many people are posting "What does it matter?"

It actually does matter to you, since you now know to use they/them pronouns when referring to Bloodhound.

Also, Respawn didn't "announce" that two characters are LGBTQ. That information was already in the respective character bios for Gibraltar and Bloodhound as soon as the game was available. They simply confirmed the questions that players had.

If the sexual orientation of a video game character doesn't matter to you, that's fine. But for the minorities that have never been able to play as a Polynesian character, or a gay character, or a non-binary character in a video game, it can make a world of difference for them to feel like they are represented and included in mainstream media.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

If the sexual orientation of a video game character doesn't matter to you, that's fine. But for the minorities that have never been able to play as a Polynesian character, or a gay character, or a non-binary character in a video game, it can make a world of difference for them to feel like they are represented and included in mainstream media.
So by that standard it does not need to be specifically mentioned anywhere outside of the game. Yet that is exactly what is happening. Therefore these minorities get special recognition. Do you think that really helps their cause? That they are seen as special people that need recognition?

That's the crux of the issue here: Should LGBTQ/Non-Binary minorities be considered special enough that a game needs to mention it has characters identifying with them?

Last edited:
i think it may be because my heart is dead or because my tear ducts are all dried up but the whole representation angle really is played out and it really is something that i dont think the majority of people actually and truly care about. everyone can try to make it the centerpiece of their argument but in actual reality its not the main thing and most people in all honesty dont give a fuck about "representation". i think if you as a person needs media to represent you then you are a weak minded person and life is going to be very very hard for you. and im happy life will be tough because people need to start growing a fucking backbone

It actually does matter to you, since you now know to use they/them pronouns when referring to Bloodhound.

Also, Respawn didn't "announce" that two characters are LGBT. That information was already in the respective character bios for Gibraltar and Bloodhound as soon as the game was available. They simply confirmed the questions that players had.

Nobody ever said that Bloodhound identifies as a 3rd gender, they said their gender is unknown. How that makes them non-binary is more than a bit of a stretch. I will use "they" when referring to them, but not because they're non-binary. Same as I'd refer you as they, because I don't know your gender.

Daymos

As a JRPG gamer I think I can say there have been many characters of different orientations/etc. over the years (Nier for example), the difference between those games and "America" is that no one thought it needed to be pointed out. Now this is where i stop typing and wipe my brain of ever seeing this thread's title. *woosh* ahh.. I love video games. Having fun ranting for nothing.

Last edited:
All this because of a bio description on the website and an answer to a question in an interview?

I mean I can imagine the reverse outrage against a big pink banner that says “waaaooow look at all the LGBTS!!!!!!”.

But this?

Eeehhhh seems like people are just looking for reasons to be offended or outraged.

flomp

Banned
I'm not going to play this game because of this pandering horseshit. The fuck relevance does sexual orientation have in a FIRST PERSON GOD-DAMN SHOOTER BATTLE ROYALE?

Last edited:
I'm not going to play this game because of this pandering horseshit. The fuck relevance does sexual orientation have in a FIRST PERSON GOD-DAMN SHOOTER BATTLE ROYALE?

So you’re not going to play because of a quietly assertive biography and an answer to an interview question?

Or is there another reason?

This is where the NPC meme comes from. A dozen different people all posting the exact same thing as if it were some revelation from on high, when it has been addressed a dozen different times. People do not care about the gender or sexuality of the characters themselves, but about the agenda that has chosen to focus on and promote their gender and sexuality.

If you don’t want people to think you are reading canned responses, you should probably read the thread and see if what you are planning to post hasn’t already been said, and addressed, a dozen times.

Again, if representation is that important, the fact that the character that represents their primary audience is behind a paywall is intentionally insulting. They want to force white men to play as black women. It is basically representation rape. Revenge for what they see as decades of representation rape where minorities were forced to play as white men. That’s a fucked up world view.

Ivellios

You pass on a very good FPS game just because of something that has no influence whatsoever on gameplay?

This is where the NPC meme comes from. A dozen different people all posting the exact same thing as if it were some revelation from on high, when it has been addressed a dozen different times. People do not care about the gender or sexuality of the characters themselves, but about the agenda that has chosen to focus on and promote their gender and sexuality.

If you don’t want people to think you are reading canned responses, you should probably read the thread and see if what you are planning to post hasn’t already been said, and addressed, a dozen times.

Again, if representation is that important, the fact that the character that represents their primary audience is behind a paywall is intentionally insulting. They want to force white men to play as black women. It is basically representation rape. Revenge for what they see as decades of representation rape where minorities were forced to play as white men. That’s a fucked up world view.

I would not use words like "representation rape" but yeah i kinda agree with you, Overwatch for example has true diversity imo and a great variety of characters and the design are great.

Apex just made a trade and filled the game with minority characters for the sole purpose of marketing and propaganda. Plus the characters designs are ugly, even on the other forum people agree on this.

Javthusiast

Banned
Obvious pandering is annoying, yes. Does their gender and sexual preference matter ingame? No. Is the game fun? Yes.

Play the game or not, why the hell is this thread so long and still going?

Last edited:
Top Bottom