• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two new Modern Warfare 3 screenshots

XOMTOR

Not a big COD (or FPS fan for that matter) but I think they look pretty sweet. Of course the artistically Photoshopped ones are most definitely superior, not to mention freakin hilarious. Hey Nintex, too bad you couldn't make that last one with the American flags in 1920x1080; would make a great desktop wallpaper.

As for BF3 being superior, it's likely but it's also likely that it won't run nearly as well as MW3, especially on PC. I think BF3 is gonna take one hell of a PC to run at 60 fps with all the eye candy at max to make it look as good as the screenshots or trailers. I know Dice has said that it was shown running on a single 580 but I have my doubts and it appeared that some of the trailers had some framerate drops. I'd say SLI'd 580s or a 6990 will be more like it so not many will be seeing the game in it's full glory for a while.

NBtoaster said:
No, supersampled bullshots from a 360 dev unit.

Juancho9 said:
lol, im sure itll look that good on my xbox.....sure....right......*cough* bullshot *cough*

Why is Call of Duty getting singled-out for having bullshots?

Man, the sheer, unbridled hate on display in here is something else. Activision milking the franchise dry, I can understand people's annoyance at that, but all this bull about CoD causing other devs to ruin or "dumb down" their games is such fucking bullshit. That's not Activision's fault. That's the fault of the other, creatively bankrupt publishers, simple as that.

snap0212

I somehow have no faith in CoD anymore. It used to be my go-to shooter but Black Ops was just a mess. I usually play my online games on the PS3 and releasing a broken ass product like Black Ops on the PS3 is a shame. Low resolution, ridiculously crappy frame rate, and lots and lots of lag online made this a horrible experience. I cannot believe this went through Sony's QA. It probably only did because it's CoD and guaranteed to sell millions...

ghst said it far more eloquently than i ever could. what is nauseating about the series isn't the quality of the shaders, the sacrifices made to run it at 60 frames per second on outdated hardware, or the overall spectacle (ok admittedly that shit's on rails).

it's the themes present and weight (or lack thereof) given to your actions. the games glorify US military power while putting the player in the shoes of highly trained career murderers that are then propelled to near-deification. they try so hard to be grounded in reality with none of the actual, you know, reality.

Soma

y'know i've always taken "looks like COD" as some sort of blind hate statement...but the fact is, i can't look at those pics and not think "yeah...that looks like a call of duty game." if you hadn't given me the title of the game in those pics i'd have said it looks like the next COD.

that being said though, it still looks pretty good. MW2 (BLOPS not as much for some reason) always looked really great to me and while this does look more of the same, it still looks good to me.

-viper-

Banned
ResidentDante said:
I thought both WaW and BO looked great in most parts on 360 atleast, maybe it's more obvious on PC.
Black Ops simply looks horrendous. Texture quality is so, so bad. Geometry looks rubbish and art is uninspired. But I'm not surprised because it doesn't use the same engine has Modern Warfare 2, which was pretty clean looking.

Mik2121

claviertekky said:
Bullshots?

Remember the Call of Duty 4 for Wii thread.
Because Call of Duty 4 for Wii was meant to also be released on PC, amirite?...

This will be released on PC too, and I'd bet this is how it would look on a slightly above average PC (gamer's PCs anyway, you know what I mean). The only thing that looks quite good is the AA, otherwise there's nothing crazy here.

codhand

-viper- said:
Black Ops simply looks horrendous. Texture quality is so, so bad. Geometry looks rubbish and art is uninspired. But I'm not surprised because it doesn't use the same engine has Modern Warfare 2, which was pretty clean looking.

From wiki

"The game (Black Ops) runs on an enhanced World at War engine (which itself was improved from Call of Duty 4's) at 60 frames per second on consoles.[3] It features a streaming texture technology (also seen in Modern Warfare 2), making bigger levels possible such as "Payback" where the player controls a helicopter. Lighting effects have been improved as well.[46] Call of Duty: Black Ops supports 3-D imaging rendered by the engine itself.[47] This feature is available on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 versions.[48]

DarkChild

Banned
codhand said:
From wiki

"The game (Black Ops) runs on an enhanced World at War engine (which itself was improved from Call of Duty 4's) at 60 frames per second on consoles.[3] It features a streaming texture technology (also seen in Modern Warfare 2), making bigger levels possible such as "Payback" where the player controls a helicopter. Lighting effects have been improved as well.[46] Call of Duty: Black Ops supports 3-D imaging rendered by the engine itself.[47] This feature is available on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 versions.[48]
Black Ops engine is the same engine as COD4 that IW gave Treyarch,but MW2 engine(and MW3) is different from Black Ops one.Different improvements were made by Treyarch and IW on those engines...

Deadbeat

Banned
DarkChild said:
Black Ops engine is the same engine as COD4 that IW gave Treyarch,but MW2 engine(and MW3) is different from Black Ops one.Different improvements were made by Treyarch and IW on those engines...
You mean different blunders. mw2 looks and runs way better than black ops on all 3 platforms.

codhand

DarkChild said:

Seems like splitting hairs. I imagine that the "texture streaming" lifted from MW2 is an important contributor to the look of the series. I took issue with saying it's a "completely different" engine and that the discrepancy in quality between Treyarch and IW is anything more than fanboy fodder.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
PairOfFilthySocks said:
Why is Call of Duty getting singled-out for having bullshots?

Man, the sheer, unbridled hate on display in here is something else. Activision milking the franchise dry, I can understand people's annoyance at that, but all this bull about CoD causing other devs to ruin or "dumb down" their games is such fucking bullshit. That's not Activision's fault. That's the fault of the other, creatively bankrupt publishers, simple as that.
Huh? Do you read other franchise threads on GAF?

kuYuri

I thought as far as campaign went, Black Ops looked damn good, as good as MW2. Also, I felt the motion capture was much better, Frank Woods is one of the best looking NPCs I've ever seen in a CoD game.

jergrah

Looks pretty good to me -- Ill most likely get it this fall for the single player and probably muck around with MP for a week or two like I typically do. I still dont get all of the message board hate for this game, but I guess that's what happens whenever something becomes popular.

Just a few years ago message boards started hating on Halo 3 and going towards Modern Warfare. The cycle continues I suppose. Anyways, I always find the single player in these games to be like summer blockbuster movies, fun rides that are over the top. It's what I expect from this one and Im sure Ill enjoy it for what it is.

Not sure if I'd like this. After World at War, the COD games just got boring to me since it was the same thing over and over with a few minor changes. I'd probably have to experience this game in person. I did love COD4 and WaW though.

Fantasmo

If you've played consoles for more than 2 generations, you should probably know that SNES couldn't do textured polygons very well and needed a chip for quality flat shaded polygon gaming. That Saturn had a hard time with transparencies. That PS1 struggled with Z-Buffer. That N64 had a major framerate problem when throwing around textures and didn't have much RAM for them anyway. That many PS2 games had low res textures. That Xbox could do 720p but at a huge tradeoff.

IW's last CoD engine threw around tons of effects: blur, slow motion, smoke, explosions, screen shaking, vehicles, enemies, incredible quality 360/PS3 models and textures, some levels changing, at a resolution close enough to 720p with 2xAA, fast spawning, awesome killstreaks, nice character and weapon feel, meaty sound effects, all at 60fps. Complete total sensory-gasm.

Oh, all this and FAST FAST BOOM BOOM BANG BANG TWITCHY TWITCHY FUN FUN FUNNNNNNN.

Wake me up when the other games are just as fast and equally as fun. Until then, I'll take my partial realism and squeal like a little kid at Christmas.

PS - Bring back the MW2 nuke, MW2 Scavenger, and MW2 One Man Army please. Oh and definitely bring back the Riot Shield.

sp3000

Did you just refer to slow motion and screen shaking as effects? And I suppose 720p is "close enough" to 600p if your blind in one eye and can't see 307000 pixels missing from your screen

Gotta love the delusion CoD inspires in fanboys.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dr Eggman said:
The IW engine needs an update and until next-gen this is what we'll be seeing people so commenting on the graphics is useless.

It will be interesting to see what IW and Respawn guys can do without id engines next gen( since Bethesda don't want to license id Tech 5 to anyone).

kuYuri

junkster said:
If you've played consoles for more than 2 generations, you should probably know that SNES couldn't do textured polygons very well and needed a chip for quality flat shaded polygon gaming. That Saturn had a hard time with transparencies. That PS1 struggled with Z-Buffer. That N64 had a major framerate problem when throwing around textures and didn't have much RAM for them anyway. That many PS2 games had low res textures. That Xbox could do 720p but at a huge tradeoff.

IW's last CoD engine threw around tons of effects: blur, slow motion, smoke, explosions, screen shaking, vehicles, enemies, incredible quality 360/PS3 models and textures, some levels changing, at a resolution close enough to 720p with 2xAA, fast spawning, awesome killstreaks, nice character and weapon feel, meaty sound effects, all at 60fps. Complete total sensory-gasm.

Oh, all this and FAST FAST BOOM BOOM BANG BANG TWITCHY TWITCHY FUN FUN FUNNNNNNN.

Wake me up when the other games are just as fast and equally as fun. Until then, I'll take my partial realism and squeal like a little kid at Christmas.

PS - Bring back the MW2 nuke, MW2 Scavenger, and MW2 One Man Army please. Oh and definitely bring back the Riot Shield.

Get ready to be disappointed.

rac

Banned
sp3000 said:
Did you just refer to slow motion and screen shaking as effects? And I suppose 720p is "close enough" to 600p if your blind in one eye and can't see 307000 pixels missing from your screen
IW doesn't need to update its engine its got cool effects like enemies.

Fantasmo

sp3000 said:

I did. They were well timed and blew my mind when I first experienced them. The Submarine intro level in MW1 with the tilting and get out of there now stuff. Man that was so awesome. Oh, and the first time I did the Ghillie suit level in MW1 and how incredibly well the ghillie suit meshes with the environment while still letting you see it if you look close enough. The slow-mo when the nuke went off in the helicopter, including the short scene afterwards gave me the chills and left my jaw dropping.

The slow-mo during the chase sequence at the end of Favela and during the breach levels in MW2. I could go on and on.

And yea, I don't count pixels. You can put me out of my misery if I ever do. If I can read what it says on a claymore and the side of a gun and it looks clean enough without looking as gamey as Black Ops I'm good to go. Another big thumbs up to how the characters feels great and part of the environment as opposed to Black Ops' gamey look/feel combination. I did enjoy Black Ops quite a bit, but not as much as MW2. Compared to MW2 it was like ice skating with action figures and action figure playsets. And no, that's not hyperbole. Nuketown and especially Radiation gave me this feel. The characters and model/map scale looked appropriate together in just about every MW2 map.

Yeah, you can quote me as saying MW2 still looks fantastic and I never felt like blaming the game, perks, quick controller response time, or netcode. Long distance ping maybe, but not the rest.

Everything had a counter aside from Ninja Pro which is fine with me. Makes S&D so much better.

Bring on the true spiritual successor!

Fantasmo

Strider2K99 said:
Get ready to be disappointed.

I'm well aware and prepared for this. The only time those things EVER overwhelmed a match for me was in Ground War. 6 enemies acting like turds would get them a nice beatdown more times than not.

I'll concede that 9 enemies and weaker teammates would make those perks completely overwhelming and unplayable.

Really though, they should just avoid restocking tubes, and tubes only.

Rockets, C4, claymores, grenades, those were never a big deal.

Riot shield / C4 / One Man Army was so much fun in S&D. You could go from a slow tactical advancing class, to a clutch match winning silenced TAR-21 and SPAS or AA-12 dude when time started running out. No game will ever give me that multiple 6-0 round win satisfaction and dynamic gameplay since the loss of One Man Army.

Oh well. Fond memories.

bj00rn_

Banned
Marleyman said:
Nobody has mentioned a jrpg but I just get the feeling that hate towards COD and using the term dudebro comes mostly from that group.

I have to admit that's the first thing that also came to my mind when I entered the thread and saw the "youtube comments".

Anyway, I never got excited over CODBLOPS and therefore never bought it. But this game however I feel a healthy anticipation from.

ultron87

MCXC Pioneer said:
If by blast you mean 6 hour long series of scripted events following a nonsensical plot then yes I agree

Yep. Incredibly entertaining rollercoaster ride. In the best way possible.

G-Fex

MCXC Pioneer said:
If by blast you mean 6 hour long series of scripted events following a nonsensical plot then yes I agree

Well I don't fucking expect a ten season long storyline like battle star whatever, I want my damn nonsensical plot!

adelante

MCXC Pioneer said:
So you agree it'll be enjoyable then. Cos you know that's what he meant right? (I think it'll be fuckin awesome too, DSN2K)

I'm not saying I don't have fun with the single player in the COD games but it's getting old. At this point it seems like extra content thrown in there to give the box another bullet point.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
-viper- said:
This looks a million times better than Black Ops.

I would tend to disagree. Better maybe, but not by a lot.

960187_20101108_640screen003.jpg

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is it just me or is the perspective all out of whack?

Those two ships closest look literally a few feet of water away... Yet if the character moved back that far he would be about the same size as the entire ship.

Really weird now that I've noticed it.

Totobeni said:
It will be interesting to see what IW and Respawn guys can do without id engines next gen( since Bethesda don't want to license id Tech 5 to anyone).

IW will update IdTech3 again... what makes you think otherwise? The point everyone seems to miss is that the Quake 3 engine is no longer what is powering CoD games. It is the base of a heavily modified engine which IW can easily call their own technology (with royalties obviously going to id :p). Changes made to the MW3 engine will reflect next gen hardware much like changes made to the CoD 1 engine reflected this generation for CoD 2 and beyond.

Respawn on the other hand will likely use Frostbite 2.

MaddenNFL64

I saw the footage from E3, and all i saw was a less on rails virtua cop. I dunno. People buy this shit for multiplayer, so who really cares about the singleplayers bullshit.

Mechazawa

_Alkaline_ said:
There's some prevelant myth on GAF that Call of Duty games are actually bad games.

Everyone hates the man on top. It'll happen with the next franchise to dethrone CoD's gigashitton sales.

Although, I can't say I put too much stock in the Infinity Ward post employee purge.

Mechazawa said:
Everyone hates the man on top. It'll happen with the next franchise to dethrone CoD's gigashitton sales.

Although, I can't say I put too much stock in the Infinity Ward post employee purge.
That's a loooooooong way off. I'd say about 10 or so years.

demolitio

NBtoaster said:
Don't pretend as if this looks remotely like the stock Quake 3 engine.

I see splashes, swirls and small waves. What else would make it look like water? Reflections would look out of place in the environment and on the surface of rough water.

Doesn't look flat to me.

It looks pretty flat given what's going on in the water in the background and how many ships are moving which is what makes it look worse in that shot. It didn't look bad in the gameplay video though since the boat was getting hit by waves. It just looks way too flat in this picture for what's going on and the ships look extremely tiny. I get that it wouldn't be to scale, but that's just too tiny to where it looks like toy models are in the background...lol

I'm still excited for this game and can't wait to play it, but people make critiques of every game out there. Look at the new Skyrim picture thread and you'll see the same thing. I just hope they've been working on a new engine for next-gen already. Imagine a 60 FPS COD game that looks like other gorgeous AAA 30 FPS games out there right now and then it'll be mindblowing.

That being said, I hope the campaign is at least 1-2 hours longer. I get the pacing that it's going for but nothing feels worse than when you get to the end of a game that you loved in just 2-3 days. I've learned to spread them out in between MP sessions but then the story gets spoiled anyway. I just hope the story is actually decent in this one instead of feeling forced just to get a variety of locations in there. It was almost TOO over-the-top in MW2 in its story. The set pieces can still be amazing with more believable story. Yes, it's supposed to be a big Hollywood action game, but if this story was in Hollywood, it wouldn't be very popular for being too absurd. At least have a 10% believable story so you can get engrossed in those big action sequences...lol

demolitio

Crewnh said:
Grounded in the real world went out the window when MW2 came out.
Exactly what I was getting at in my post above. It was too absurd to even get into the story. They can still have those awesome set pieces with a semi-believable story. The story just felt like it was made around the levels so they could give you a good variety of locations.

It looks like MW3 might go further than MW2 in that direction once they talked about a Russian naval invasion of NYC. :D

Top Bottom