• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Step Verification Is Now Live For US and EU PSN accounts

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If for whatever reason someone needs to disable this, do you go back to your original PW on your other devices or still use the device setup PW?

crimilde

Banned
One thing to note is that 2-FA can't be activated apparently if you have linked your account to another Sony group service. I use mine on their cameras-centric site and the 2-FA activation page errors out when trying to set it up on the website and tells me that my email is already used with a Sony group service if I try to do it from the console. Ugh.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had my account hacked before *knock on wood*, but couldn't hurt to have this extra security with how often it happens.

Is there a point in having 2-step if your password gets overridden in the case of PS3/Vita? It seems like you're more at risk considering the generated password is probably something simple like JADFHSKD instead of being complicated.

Is there a point in having 2-step if your password gets overridden in the case of PS3/Vita? It seems like you're more at risk considering the generated password is probably something simple like JADFHSKD instead of being complicated.

It's pretty complicated and it's per device (I have 2 ps3s).

Tainted

Ive had it enabled on my Aussie account for a week or so....glad to be able to enable it for my US account now.

Now for them to provide a way to verify using an app rather than SMS...but I'm not holding my breath

joebruin

No sure what you mean? Here's an example of some generated passwords (likely much stronger than what most people who created their own use):

PyCguu5PBnyC
9WLKbcs6FQyD

The whole point is so that each device gets its own password and if one gets compromised you can simply revoke it through your account settings without having to change your master password or revoke any other devices.e

Gradly

Anyone having a problem accessing the Account Management page?

I can successfully access the web store on Desktop, and even mobile, with 2SV enabled, but when I try to access the Account Management page it will result in a loop, entering login credentials, then the received code, then will again show the login page, then send another verification code and it just keeps doing that

Tainted

Oh now I get it. If you activate 2-step security, you really only have to do it once, and then you use your standard password for PSN.

On the PS3/Vita, you replace your normal password with the generated device password. If you're logging into your account screen on the website though, then you use your normal PSN password.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great news... Especially since they are releasing new consoles soon.

KingJ2002

Update: Seems to be up everywhere else too.

You can find it under Settings>PlayStation Network/Account Management>Account Information>Security>2-Step Verification

Note: I'm running 4.0 beta 3, so I can't be sure if it's available to everyone running the old firmware.

Should be able to set it up here as well: https://account.sonyentertainmentne.../view-security.action?displayNavigation=false

For PS3 and Vita you have to go to http://idp.dn/device-password to generate a password.

Thanks for the heads up... just activated it for my account.

No sure what you mean? Here's an example of some generated passwords (likely much stronger than what most people who created their own use):

PyCguu5PBnyC
9WLKbcs6FQyD

The whole point is so that each device gets its own password and if one gets compromised you can simply revoke it through your account settings without having to change your master password or revoke any other devices.e

On the PS3/Vita, you replace your normal password with the generated device password. If you're logging into your account screen on the website though, then you use your normal PSN password.

Ah now that makes sense. Having both your PSN password for your account and device password tied to your PS3/Vita should make things a lot more manageable, even if it's an inconvenience in terms of already having a strong unique password.

Vasili2K38

Finally! Count me in, the SMS service seems fast and now I'll be more relaxed with my account security. Let's hope that the PSN accounts hacking will be more difficult after this.

calder

Ugh, don't be dumb like me and go add a mobile number to your account but flake on actually enabling the 2SV. Glad I double checked and was confused when logging back into the website didn't prompt me for a code. ;)

idonteven

finally
Fans_war_face.gif

Turned it on (US here), used the device password on my PS3 and Vita. Not very complicated, feels nice having this set up. Still going to continue using currency cards to fund my wallet though.

On a side note, it's funny how the Sony verification codes texted to me are from the same number I get Xbox and Steam verification codes from too o_o

I will say, how they set up the two-step for Vita/PS3 is weird. Just in case, I'm keeping the password somewhere just in case my Vita wants to fucking forget it.

Top Bottom