• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Type Moon has formed a new game studio led by the director of Etrian Odyssey and 7th Dragon

JohannCK

Type-Moon announced on 30th August 2019 that they have created a new studio, “Type-Moon Studio BB” to develop new mid-large scale 3D games in collaboration with external developers and small-scale 2D games internally.

The studio is being led by Niinou Kazuya, formerly of Atlus, Image Epoch and Square Enix, who had previously served as director of Trauma Center: Under the Knife, Etrian Odyssey, and 7th Dragon.

This is not his first time working with Type-Moon, having been producer of Fate/EXTRA while with Image Epoch.

KàIRóS

Please don't focus on f***ing mobile Gacha games *fingers crossed*

The storytelling of Type-Moon alongside talented JRPG devs sounds like a match made in heaven.

Zambatoh

I've always wanted a proper RPG based on the Stay Night trilogy. That'd be pretty sweet.
Make Fuyuki a fully explorable 3D town and maybe a Chef Shiro meta-game where Saber gets stronger the more you feed her.
Maybe some what-if stories making the other characters playable with new endings.
The Tiger Dojo scenarios would be massively expanded as well to accommodate all the different routes.
Not to mention all the various meme names they could come up with for the trophies like "Got worms?", "Lancer ga Shinda!", or something silly like "There was a dragon here, but it's gone now."

Something like that would be nice.

Vanethyr

Ho-lee shit, megaton.

I did wonder why Niinou left so abruptly immediately after finishing Dragon Quest Builders 2, I guess this is the answer.

Nasu's writing with Takeuchi's art and Niinou's JRPG talent is a potential dream team in the making.

Also plz keep Yuki Kajiura involved thx.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Prod me if it's non-mobile stuff. Sounds like they do have some passion projects in mind (simply reading between the lines of the phrase "small-scale 2D games internally")

cireza

Banned
I love the ufotable animes adapted from Type Moon novels. Type Moon is really good at creating a world and putting meaningful content and events in it, as well as great characters.

Looking forward to what they can make.

JohannCK

Please don't focus on f***ing mobile Gacha games *fingers crossed*

The storytelling of Type-Moon alongside talented JRPG devs sounds like a match made in heaven.

Doubt that they'd say they're making "mid-large scale" games with a studio led by a guy known for making weird RPGs if it were going to be mobile stuff. Not to mention how Nasu keeps going on about how FGO is making him very tired and now that they have the money to do whatever they want I think he'd probably want to try stuff that doesn't slowly kill him.

Daymos

Sounds like we can look forward to some JRPGs on Switch. Etrian Odyssey and 7th dragon were solid rpgs on 3ds.

Pejo

Finally. I've been wondering what they were going to do with all the FGO money. Frankly I have thought for a while that they're stupid for not getting into the gaming market proper, outside of those low budget musou games.

If I had my choices, we'd get a 2D fighting game (hopefully GGXrd art style) with an ever growing cast of fighters (from the Fate, KnK, and Tsukihime), and a proper Fate RPG.

Considering the seeming unending popularity of the Fate franchise (and larger Type Moon story-verse), creating what mostly sounds like a production company to oversee the development of larger titles by outside studios probably makes sense. I'll be interested to see, if they already have some titles in the works or a essentially starting from square one.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
“Type-Moon Studio BB” to develop new mid-large scale 3D games in collaboration with external developers
I'll be interested for these types of games. I'm very curious to see what they create.

Thanks for sharing JohannCK JohannCK

Last edited:

JohannCK

Studio BB's put up some recruitment pages (it's going to be an indie style 10 person team) with details on what they'll be working on

They're using Unity and UE4 and it sounds like they're going to do 2D (sprite-based) stuff first with the main genres being RPG, strategy and action.

Last edited:
Top Bottom