• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Typing of The Dead: Overkill (Steam, includes HOTD:Overkill)

nullset2

Well, the game is so good, I'll be damned if I won't play it again with a nice Typing of the Dead rewiring. And on PC! Marvelousness.

I haven't played the DC version either so this is a good thing. Thanks for the replies.

sonicmj1

I'll support any Typing of the Dead release without hesitation.

I just wish there was some way to mod the character models so they were wearing Dreamcasts and keyboards.

Zeth

This game is god damn amazing, can't believe it came out of nowhere like that.

Made it into the top 20 on level 2. Still getting used to the mechanics. Spaces are never needed, correct? And backspace will switch to a different word/phrase?

Also this is going to end up being an excuse for me to upgrade from my brown switch gaming focused keyboard to an opulent dedicated typing board with blues.

There's also a lot of times when I'll kill all the monsters on screen (150wpm) and then the game just... waits. ToTD1 was better about this.

yeah, I think House of the Dead 2 (TotD) had faster pacing between waves of zombies. I think it has something to do with Overkill having more character dialogue and cut scenes between zombie hordes, while the older arcade games were generally more brief and to the point.

Though I think it has something to do with Overkill being a console game and TotD1 being based on an arcade machine. Arcade games have to move the player along faster to get them off the machine quicker.

It does suck that this version doesn't have any training modes or anything. But I guess including the full light gun mode does make up for it.

Timeless

I know it's not the same game, but those who didn't know, House of the Dead: Overkill on iOS is on sale right now for 99 cents (it's $4.99 regularly). I had been checking it periodically for a price cut or drop, was happy to see it finally happen last night.
How is it on an iPhone 5? Would the screen be too small?

From what I can tell, accuracy is way more important than speed. I type 125-130wpm and if I blaze through the monsters I kill them faster but make more mistakes. If I slow down to about 110wpm I can get over 99% accuracy and my score shoots up. But still, I finish levels with every collectible, 99% accuracy, no deaths, and my scores are still 50% less than the top people on the leaderboard. How do you rack up such a high score? Is it just because they're staying in Goregasm for like the entire level and ending with 100% accuracy?

Update was for the common redistributables (DirectX & C++ 2010). That's the only timestamp that changed in the game folder and it's 115MB.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Something is forcing my cursor to the bottom right of the screen so I can't even get into the main menu. Anyone else having this problem? I already tried unplugging all of my game controllers and tested other games.

Edit: Weird. I changed it to XP compatibility and I can now control the cursor, but if I stop moving it for half a second it slowly moves back to the bottom right. This isn't normal...is it?

Anyone else having problems getting the game to boot. The executable keeps getting deleted. I've disabled anti virus and firewall and yet it still gets deleted. I've clicked on it through the steam folder and as soon as I did, it vanished.

Have you discovered a solution to this? I've been trying for about an hour now and have yet to succeed in launching it (restarting Steam, verifying the integrity of the game cache, trying to end the process, restarting my device; everything short of deleting the local content). Ideally I don't want to delete it as it took numerous hours already to download it; my connection is not very good and I'm hoping to avoid spending seven to ten hours downloading everything a second time.

EDIT: I've reinstalled the game, ran as administrator, enabled compatability mode, verified the game cache again; nothing seems to be working. My problem is that I start the game, a black screen appears for two or three seconds (no logos, no sound) and then I'm back to the desktop. According to Steam I've played around twelve minutes but that's just from repeatedly trying to get it to actually start up.

arit

4RIDovW.jpg

Just beautiful. Now I hope that there is a c/should of one.

Debasertron

Neo Member
I'm all for Sega rereleasing shit, but man oh man they could have had like one news story somewhere about it. I spend way too much time on various news sites and I still had no idea it was a thing until today...

Something is forcing my cursor to the bottom right of the screen so I can't even get into the main menu. Anyone else having this problem? I already tried unplugging all of my game controllers and tested other games.

Edit: Weird. I changed it to XP compatibility and I can now control the cursor, but if I stop moving it for half a second it slowly moves back to the bottom right. This isn't normal...is it?
My mouse would move on its own randomly, too, but I would just relaunch the game and it'd get fixed.

BlackJace

I'm all for Sega rereleasing shit, but man oh man they could have had like one news story somewhere about it. I spend way too much time on various news sites and I still had no idea it was a thing until today...

Good thing you got it before the 50% deal was up, haha.

Alric

am I missing something. How do you activate Hardcore mode? It won't let me. Do you have to complete the whole game first?

For whatever reason, the game crashes on me during the first chapter when I get to the main room with the staircase. It happens every time. Trying to verify the game cache to see if it could be that.

Edit: Nevermind that got it. Was able to complete the first chapter.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
will this game work on a non-gaming integrated graphics laptop? i love typing of the dead
This depends on the laptop of course, but despite TotD's enormous size it does not appear to be very taxing, performance wise

So do I need to use my spacebar when typing sentences ? it seems like you don't? Nor do you need to use any other thingies (I don't know the english name) but symbols like - and '
don't need to be typed either it seems? Do you gain points for doing so or lose points for not doing so?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So do I need to use my spacebar when typing sentences ? it seems like you don't? Nor do you need to use any other thingies (I don't know the english name) but symbols like - and '
don't need to be typed either it seems? Do you gain points for doing so or lose points for not doing so?

Spaces and punctuation are only required to type out on hardcore mode. Otherwise, no you don't

Mr_Zombie

Is there a way to cancel a word you're actually typing? Many times I started "shooting" a zombie only to be hit by a projectile he was throwing at me in the meantime. In the first game you had to press escape to cancel the word and switch to another enemy/item, but here escape doesn't work.

Also, I must say that dialogues in this game are hilarious.
"My mum told me that you if you don't have anything nice to say you better say nothing. So nothing you!" :lol

Is there a way to cancel a word you're actually typing? Many times I started "shooting" a zombie only to be hit by a projectile he was throwing at me in the meantime. In the first game you had to press escape to cancel the word and switch to another enemy/item, but here escape doesn't work.

Also, I must say that dialogues in this game are hilarious.
"My mum told me that you if you don't have anything nice to say you better say nothing. So nothing you!" :lol

It's backspace. I believe there was a prompt about it.

Jubern

Did anyone tried the game on a MacBook Air? I don't play on it usually but I'm REALLY tempted to get this and have no other computer at hand. It's the MBA 2012, Intel Core i5 1.8 GHz with Intel 4000 graphic chip and 8GB of RAM...

catmincer

Did anyone tried the game on a MacBook Air? I don't play on it usually but I'm REALLY tempted to get this and have no other computer at hand. It's the MBA 2012, Intel Core i5 1.8 GHz with Intel 4000 graphic chip and 8GB of RAM...

I am using it no sweat on my APU's integrated GPU. It's similar to a HD4000 and it works perfectly. You'll be fine!

Also I cracked up at getting 3 zombies and getting Pork, Chicken & Lamb.

Lace

It should work. It meets the reccomended requirements.

Jubern

Nice, thanks guys ;)

I'll buy it tomorrow or something. It's been a loooong time since i played TOTD so I'm really hyped by this lol.

Liamario

Banned
Have you discovered a solution to this? I've been trying for about an hour now and have yet to succeed in launching it (restarting Steam, verifying the integrity of the game cache, trying to end the process, restarting my device; everything short of deleting the local content). Ideally I don't want to delete it as it took numerous hours already to download it; my connection is not very good and I'm hoping to avoid spending seven to ten hours downloading everything a second time.

EDIT: I've reinstalled the game, ran as administrator, enabled compatability mode, verified the game cache again; nothing seems to be working. My problem is that I start the game, a black screen appears for two or three seconds (no logos, no sound) and then I'm back to the desktop. According to Steam I've played around twelve minutes but that's just from repeatedly trying to get it to actually start up.

It seems anti virus software doesn't like the exe and sees it as a trojan of some kind and removes it. Add the .exe to your exceptions in your anti virus and any other program that deals with viruses and you should be fine. There was also an update to steam for the game yesterday, so that may have sorted it out.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
this game justifies my decision to get a Ducky mech with blue switches at the office.

Oh yes, I'm finally taking you home from work sugar :*

Jucksalbe

Banned
Game works perfectly now after I set the compatibility mode. Though, typing with a Pokémon keyboard isn't all that great. At least that way I could play it on the TV.

Top Bottom