• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News U.S. and Taliban reach A Cessation Of Violence Agreement

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

The U.S. says it has reached a deal with the Taliban in Afghanistan that lays out what could be the first steps toward ending America's longest-running war.
Administration officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity at the Munich Security Conference, say there will be a seven-day "reduction in violence" but did not specify when it would start. The seven days are meant as an initial confidence-building measure.
The next step would involve the signing of an agreement between the U.S and the Taliban. That would pave the way for intra-Afghan talks to determine the future of Afghanistan and the role the Taliban could play in it.
The U.S. military will monitor the reduction in violence, according to a senior administration official.
A weeklong decline in violence would be an abrupt shift from one of the most violent years of the 18-year conflict. An overall deal with the Taliban would lay-out a four-and-a-half month timetable to 8,600 from around 12,000.

---

It is an interesting shift away from Bush-era "we will not negotiate with terrorists" doctrine. The stated goal is to reduce and then remove our troops from Afghanistan.

Daxter32jak

Feb 25, 2017
If there’s one thing that needs to happen it’s the US needs to gtfo of Afghanistan I don’t even know what we’re doing there anymore

Reactions: KINGMOKU

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Any move, by any president that has us removed from the Middle East, save for protecting our allies, is excellent news.

It is the exact definition of a quagmire.

Reactions: cryptoadam

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I will beleive it when it happens. Sorry mid east peace agreements are worth less then toilet paper to Coneheads. How is that working out in Syria and Turkey? Or between Hamas and Fatah.

The US should just get out of Afghanistan. I doubt the Taliban will attack the US again, and if they do just drop bombs from afar. Why has it been an 18 year conflict to take out a bunch of backwards bumpkins? Osama is dead, Al-Qeada is a blip on the radar, we even have ISIS now to replace them.

I bet the Afghani's break this just to keep the US there so as to keep the money flowing.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
The thing I hate about announcing this kind of thing is that it allows third parties with no interest in the conflict ending to cause a problem and reset it back to square one.

Osama Bin Laden is dead. The Afghanis are going to fuck their Bacha Bazi Boys. The Taliban is going to rule like 1599 A.D. and the poppy fields are going to keep growing.

The U.S. is not going to be able to build a society in Afghanistan that can fit in this world as a modern Western trade partner, much less an Ally.

Time to go.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
What happened when we got rid of the Taliban in areas of Afghanistan? The locals started mass raping little boys again and other worse extremists popped up. Same story as always when the US plays "Save the Brown People".

Something had to be done in the face of 9/11, but we clearly have done enough to punish those tangentially responsible like the Taliban. Time to leave and let Afghanistan go back to however it will be, and keep the fight on AQ with surgical strikes.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
They can't even define the mission in Afghanistan. Our generals, the people responsible for the continuation of this mess, can't even tell us why we're still there. It's like Bolton when Trump asked him about Syria. He probably hid behind his mustache.

What do they even tell the soldiers on the ground? Your objectives are to just... stand around and wait to be attacked by insurgents and then shoot back. Rinse and repeat until hell freezes over.

I got an idea. Let's leave. They don't even have to call it leaving. I know our generals are very fragile, and the thought of us leaving a conflict zone no doubt makes their knees shake. So I promise to use the kind of flowery language that they're do fond of.

They can call it a "troop reassignment". See? We're not leaving. We're simply moving troops adnd supplies to another theater. I'm sure John McCain would see this as a terrible move no matter what and try to block any attempt to "reassign" that doesn't involve increasing the number of troops. Thankfully he's no longer in a position to do so.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
What happened when we got rid of the Taliban in areas of Afghanistan? The locals started mass raping little boys again and other worse extremists popped up. Same story as always when the US plays "Save the Brown People".

Something had to be done in the face of 9/11, but we clearly have done enough to punish those tangentially responsible like the Taliban. Time to leave and let Afghanistan go back to however it will be, and keep the fight on AQ with surgical strikes.
The U.S almost had Bin Laden right after 9/11. It was called the Battle of Tora Bora.

But he fled to Pakistan right after the fight. For reasons unknown, I don't understand why the U.S didn't follow him there untill 2011.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: infinitys_7th

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
The U.S almost had Bin Laden right after 9/11. It was called the Battle of Tora Bora.

But he fled to Pakistan right after the fight. For reasons unknown, I don't understand why the U.S didn't follow him there untill 2011.
Rumsfeld micromanaging, getting distracted by iraq, not wanting to piss off our "allies" in Pakistan, general incompetence....that about sums it up.

Last edited: