• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. intel officials probe ties between Trump adviser and Kremlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. intel officials probe ties between Trump adviser and Kremlin - Yahoo News

U.S. intelligence officials are seeking to determine whether an American businessman identified by Donald Trump as one of his foreign policy advisers has opened up private communications with senior Russian officials — including talks about the possible lifting of economic sanctions if the Republican nominee becomes president, according to multiple sources who have been briefed on the issue.

The activities of Trump adviser Carter Page, who has extensive business interests in Russia, have been discussed with senior members of Congress during recent briefings about suspected efforts by Moscow to influence the presidential election, the sources said. After one of those briefings, Senate minority leader Harry Reid wrote FBI Director James Comey, citing reports of meetings between a Trump adviser (a reference to Page) and “high ranking sanctioned individuals” in Moscow over the summer as evidence of “significant and disturbing ties” between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin that needed to be investigated by the bureau.

Some of those briefed were “taken aback” when they learned about Page’s contacts in Moscow, viewing them as a possible back channel to the Russians that could undercut U.S. foreign policy, said a congressional source familiar with the briefings but who asked for anonymity due to the sensitivity of the subject. The source added that U.S. officials in the briefings indicated that intelligence reports about the adviser’s talks with senior Russian officials close to President Vladimir Putin were being “actively monitored and investigated.”

A senior U.S. law enforcement official did not dispute that characterization when asked for comment by Yahoo News. “It’s on our radar screen,” said the official about Page’s contacts with Russian officials. “It’s being looked at.”

President Trump is getting a head start on things.

I can't speak for everybody, but out of all the people I know, nobody trusts Trump with national security, and it's usually a pretty conservative group.

sangreal

So... If true, this is grounds for treason.

No it isn't

US Constitution said:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So... If true, this is grounds for treason.

Not really. But it could be argued that his behaviour is constitutive of sedition.

Title says: "U.S. intel officials probe ties between Trump adviser and Kremlin"

Body says: "U.S. intelligence officials are seeking to determine whether an American businessman identified by Donald Trump as one of his foreign policy advisers has opened up private communications with senior Russian officials"

Maybe I'm missing something...?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/probe

a careful examination or investigation of something

Would be the greatest twist of this decade, better than "I'm actually not running and this is all a joke."

He would be decimated, send him to Moscow so he can shine Putin's boots and saddle his bear.

Nev

Banned
Of course these two lunatics have ties. Putin is a nutter sociopath but he's clearly the more intelligent one, he should be able to manipulate the orange clown with ease. Fun times ahead if he's elected.

Both parties are the одна и та же.

Sometimes I think they should be. By which I mean, the right vilifies the left incessantly. Not just the fringe extreme; many of their most visible leaders do.

But when the GOP candidate is literally a villain (or at least demonstratably criminal), there's no (significant) "Trump for Prison" movement. Sometimes I think there should be. The right may be wrong, but they're motivated.

Would be the greatest twist of this decade, better than "I'm actually not running and this is all a joke."

He would be decimated, send him to Moscow so he can shine Putin's boots and saddle his bear.

Oh how I would love to see that. Then Putin would feed him table scraps.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nothing will happen.

I think the biggest issue here is that this happened during the run up to an election, which could automatically make him look like a martyr and Hillary like a tinpot despot using all Federal resources against him. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if we were talking about an elected official with no presidential ambitions or a businessman trying to influence American officials. As it happens, Trump won't have to lift a finger to create the illusion of Crooked Hillary unfairly trying to bury him.

It is going to take a lot of finesse to navigate through this situation, specially of they happen to uncover something that directly implicates him.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You'd think Republicans would be all over this considering how they love a little conspiracy.

At this point there HAS to be a substantial amount of people voting for Trump only on the premise that he'll be immediately impeached... right?

Volimar

How much of a smoking gun does there need to be for this to actually hurt Trump with his supporters? I don't see it happening. The only outcome that would really hurt him is if he actually gets criminally charged.

You Hillary supporters need to chill it with your neo-McCarthyism!

No phrase gives me more of a headache at the moment than neo-McCarthyism.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
At what point is voting for Trump sedition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom