U.S. Is ‘Native Land’ for All Latinos - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Oct 29, 2014
How do you get to zero emissions and still have things like livestock, AC units, electricity at night, electricity when the wind doesn't blow, industrial farming that allows less than 1% of our population work in agriculture, instead of historical pre-fossil fuel farming where the majority of the population must work in food production, etc.

The words in the resolution and in her FAQ have real world consequences. The best defense I have heard the left come up with is that, she doesn't really mean it, it is just aspirational.
It may be aspirational yes. It probably won't work as good as on paper in reality, yes! But hang on for a minute.

Maybe your view would change if you took some time to think about what is coming if we keep the status quo. I don't know you, maybe you don't believe in climate change, like the clown in chief. Or if you do, you think we don't need to do anything major yet, just like we did for the last 40 years. Well guess what, the clock kept on ticking and we can't wait anymore.

When you accept the science, you must also accept that what we are facing is nothing less than a global catastrophe of epic proportions. And then, radical measures become not only reasonable but unavoidable. Her plan may be unrealistic but you have to aim high.

Feb 21, 2018
AOC in the video never said what is quoted in the headline.
She did.

She said all Latinos are descended from Native Americans, implying that Latinos from south of the border have a right to illegally enter the US because they are "native".

[QUOTE]‘We are standing on native land,’ she claimed, speaking just outside the U.S. Capitol. ‘And Latino people are descendants of native people. And we cannot be told, and criminalized, simply because for our identity or our status. Period.’ [/QUOTE]

Thats the quote.

Dec 15, 2011
..She’s gonna be saying a lot of things that a lot of people will find pretty idiotic. Is a new thread each time necessary?
She is to the Politics forum what Phil Spencer soundbites are to the Games forum.

Usual logic applies: don't go into the thread if you don't like it. And contributing to the thread ends up promoting it.

She is starting the conversation. She is getting the ball rolling on issues that need to be addressed..
Clichés like this is how the memes are born.

Also, make a decision. Either it's ok to have conversations or it's not.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018
It may be aspirational yes. It probably won't work as good as on paper in reality, yes! But hang on for a minute.

Maybe your view would change if you took some time to think about what is coming if we keep the status quo. I don't know you, maybe you don't believe in climate change, like the clown in chief. Or if you do, you think we don't need to do anything major yet, just like we did for the last 40 years. Well guess what, the clock kept on ticking and we can't wait anymore.

When you accept the science, you must also accept that what we are facing is nothing less than a global catastrophe of epic proportions. And then, radical measures become not only reasonable but unavoidable. Her plan may be unrealistic but you have to aim high.

No, climate change isn't real, thanks. Or at least not the fast and human-caused kind.

May 10, 2009
She did.

She said all Latinos are descended from Native Americans, implying that Latinos from south of the border have a right to illegally enter the US because they are "native".

[QUOTE]‘We are standing on native land,’ she claimed, speaking just outside the U.S. Capitol. ‘And Latino people are descendants of native people. And we cannot be told, and criminalized, simply because for our identity or our status. Period.’
Thats the quote.[/QUOTE]

She must have come from one of our very best institutions if it was medical or educational who knows.

Dec 15, 2011
I know. Its ridiculous. But the way the Right responds to her is even worse.
Ah, fighting identity politics with identity politics.

The thing is, when identity politics is the very thing that is the thing that's letting you down then you've chosen the worst possible weapon to arm yourself with.

A great many people value logic, reason and reality. If you're rejecting those ideals then you have nothing of substance to offer. Emotional pleas and misrepresentation just add more nails to the coffin.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018
She did.

[QUOTE]‘We are standing on native land,’ she claimed, speaking just outside the U.S. Capitol. ‘And Latino people are descendants of native people. And we cannot be told, and criminalized, simply because for our identity or our status. Period.’
Thats the quote.[/QUOTE]
That is is not what the headline said. And her point was broader than that sentence. She was saying that people who cross the border have to be judged by American standards when in USA. That sentence was a small part of a long speech. This leaves out the all the context before and after the quote in question.

Feb 21, 2018
That is is not what the headline said. And her point was broader than that sentence. She was saying that people who cross the border have to be judged by American standards when in USA. That sentence was a small part of a long speech. This leaves out the all the context before and after the quote in question.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you want from the OP to make a 2 paragraph long title ???

Its an accurate quote she was making, at it really seemed like her point was that Latinos from south of the border = Cherokee/Sioux/Iroquois/etc... so they have a RIGHT to be let into the country.

she did say that migration was a RIGHT as well, which I guess could be in the OP title to make things more clear.

Now considering she is Puerto Rican

The culture held in common by most Puerto Ricans is referred to as mainstream Puerto Rican culture, a Western culture largely derived from the traditions of Spain, and more specifically Andalusia and the Canary Islands. Over 90% of Puerto Ricans descend from migrants from these two southern regions of Spain
Interesting 75.8% of Puerto Ricans identified as white on the 2016 census, while .05% as American Indian.

But that doesn't stop AOC from putting on a heavy fake Latinex accent when she said the quote.

Jun 18, 2018
That is is not what the headline said. And her point was broader than that sentence. She was saying that people who cross the border have to be judged by American standards when in USA. That sentence was a small part of a long speech. This leaves out the all the context before and after the quote in question.

Its an accurate quote she was making, at it really seemed like her point was that Latinos from south of the border = Cherokee/Sioux/Iroquois/etc... so they have a RIGHT to be let into the country.

she did say that migration was a RIGHT as well, which I guess could be in the OP title to make things more clear.

Interesting 75.8% of Puerto Ricans identified as white on the 2016 census, while .05% as American Indian.

But that doesn't stop AOC from putting on a heavy fake Latinex accent when she said the quote.[/QUOTE]
After seeing the 4 minute video what I took from it is that Latinos should be judged by American law when trying to enter the US and that there is a problem with accountability for ICE.

Feb 21, 2018

But that doesn't stop AOC from putting on a heavy fake Latinex accent when she said the quote.
After seeing the 4 minute video what I took from it is that Latinos should be judged by American law when trying to enter the US and that there is a problem with accountability for ICE.[/QUOTE]

Your quoting is all over the place LOL. Thought somehow you took over my account and made my post.

ICE being more accountable sure no problem, but is it accountable or completly gutted and made useless? Is her problem that ICE is too harsh or that it exsits at all. Whats her take on the Latino ICE member that was highlighted by Trump for saving 300 trafficked women and putting 1500 traffickers behind bars?

Being judged by American law? Well the US has legal and illegal immigration and they are being judged to have entered the country illegally. They aren't American citizens so why should they be judged by American law? What she is saying is that everyone south of the border should be let into the country regardless if they followed the law or not, which is the complete opposite. If you try to enter the country illegally you will face American law. But it seems AOC is saying that Latinos have migratory rights, are Native Americans, thus they have the right to cross the border no matter what. Basically USA is not a country for Americans (White/Black/Hispanic/Jewish/Asian) but is actually a country that belongs to Mexicans, Gutamalans, El Salvadorians, and all of the rest of Latin America.

Mar 12, 2014
No. You made the claim. Now show me where AOC is "advocating to destroy the country."

And for some odd reason you quoted my post saying how the far right will go to no end to smear AOC.
She is not advocating to destroy it directly, but what she wants to do would end up doing just that if she got her way. Spending 100 trillion dollars while destroying existing industry (tax base) and removing the ability to transport things and people effectively would have that effect.

And what is odd is claiming she is being smeared by the right. Pointing out idiocy is not smearing - it is stating facts.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2010
She is not advocating to destroy it directly, but what she wants to do would end up doing just that if she got her way. Spending 100 trillion dollars while destroying existing industry (tax base) and removing the ability to transport things and people effectively would have that effect.

And what is odd is claiming she is being smeared by the right. Pointing out idiocy is not smearing - it is stating facts.
Idiocy is making claims without linking me to what you're going on about. Let's figure out what this rambling mess is about before claiming you're "stating facts."

Jun 18, 2018
After seeing the 4 minute video what I took from it is that Latinos should be judged by American law when trying to enter the US and that there is a problem with accountability for ICE.
Your quoting is all over the place LOL. Thought somehow you took over my account and made my post.

ICE being more accountable sure no problem, but is it accountable or completly gutted and made useless? Is her problem that ICE is too harsh or that it exsits at all. Whats her take on the Latino ICE member that was highlighted by Trump for saving 300 trafficked women and putting 1500 traffickers behind bars?

Being judged by American law? Well the US has legal and illegal immigration and they are being judged to have entered the country illegally. They aren't American citizens so why should they be judged by American law? What she is saying is that everyone south of the border should be let into the country regardless if they followed the law or not, which is the complete opposite. If you try to enter the country illegally you will face American law. But it seems AOC is saying that Latinos have migratory rights, are Native Americans, thus they have the right to cross the border no matter what. Basically USA is not a country for Americans (White/Black/Hispanic/Jewish/Asian) but is actually a country that belongs to Mexicans, Gutamalans, El Salvadorians, and all of the rest of Latin America.[/QUOTE]

I just pressed reply and wrote, don’t know what happened with that post.

That Trump says some ice member did something has no impact on accountability at all, is there governmant oversight and is it effective are the relevant questions in this case.

I can’t respond on behalf of AOC, I just wrote my view of the speech in its entirety, you view is differs from and that’s okay. Like all politicians her speech is open to interpretation, and we differ on that.
The international way of seeking asylum is crossing the border and reporting to the authorities

Feb 21, 2018

Being judged by American law? Well the US has legal and illegal immigration and they are being judged to have entered the country illegally. They aren't American citizens so why should they be judged by American law? What she is saying is that everyone south of the border should be let into the country regardless if they followed the law or not, which is the complete opposite. If you try to enter the country illegally you will face American law. But it seems AOC is saying that Latinos have migratory rights, are Native Americans, thus they have the right to cross the border no matter what. Basically USA is not a country for Americans (White/Black/Hispanic/Jewish/Asian) but is actually a country that belongs to Mexicans, Gutamalans, El Salvadorians, and all of the rest of Latin America.
I just pressed reply and wrote, don’t know what happened with that post.

That Trump says some ice member did something has no impact on accountability at all, is there governmant oversight and is it effective are the relevant questions in this case.

I can’t respond on behalf of AOC, I just wrote my view of the speech in its entirety, you view is differs from and that’s okay. Like all politicians her speech is open to interpretation, and we differ on that.
The international way of seeking asylum is crossing the border and reporting to the authorities
Well AOC says that abolishing ICE is common sense. So she isn't about oversight or making it effective, she wants it gone. I have no problem with making ICE accountable or holding them to standards, but she is arguing to get rid of it completely.

And yes we see it differently. But even aslyum seekers are not US citizens and are not subject to US laws, they are subject to the Asylum laws. Yet she says "And we cannot be told and criminalized simply for our identity and our status" and that “the right of human mobility” which to my ineterpetation is that Lations (identity) entering the country illegally(status) shouldn't be called illegal since they have the right of mobility(invasion). Again my interpretation we may differ on how we see what she said.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
That's the way it's always been in America. If you're darker than Lady Gaga and have some non-white facial features belonging to African ancestry, you're either called black or biracial. Mostly you get called black.

In this country, it doesn't matter if one of your parents isn't black... You'll still get called black by everyone who sees you unless you're white-passing. And yes, that's a thing.

That's why Halle Berry, Barack Obama, Jordan Peele, Keegan Michael-Key and others are called black BEFORE it's ever known that they're biracial

For those who are white-passing, it really depends on what THEY identify as. Some are content to be called white and pass as white, never mentioning their African American heritage or family members (to them, being white is better than to ever acknowledge their black side)... And some identify as black... Like Rashida Jones or Wentworth Miller (although Miller sometimes identifies himself as more multiracial than just straight up black though he DEFINITELY acknowledges his African Americanz side).

Bet y'all didn't know Rashida Jones is half black...
I did know that Rashida was a halfie actually (she’s gorgeous btw).

But you just explained what. I want to know why.

Jul 19, 2018
Latinos immigrate to the US for welfare payed by non-latinos and jobs in an economy mostly built by non-latinos. If the US cut out some land for latin immigrants, to build a country for themselves, I doubt many would go there. It really is quite shocking how shameless and entitled some people can be. This is all a result of the US allowing the left to run rampant and take over its institutions and brainwash its people. To be fair the right in the US are responsible for this - they're the ones that are supposed to believe in freedom and all that jazz and defend American ideals but they're mostly just ignorant flag waving rednecks that can't do much other than whinge about liberal elites, vote for semi-literate imbeciles like bush and trump, and then whinge some more when the morons they elect run their country into the ground. America's collapse over the next few decades will be long, painful, and entertaining.
I agree with most of this except electing Trump was a last attempt by decent people to save their country. It's just clear now that he has failed to even turn back the clock in a meaningful way.

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I did know that Rashida was a halfie actually (she’s gorgeous btw).

But you just explained what. I want to know why.

That requires a long explanation but the short of it is... The one drop rule. If you had even one drop of "black blood", you're considered black... This goes all the way back to slavery in the US... And it's still here.

Unless you are white-passing and no one knows about your black family members.

Dec 18, 2018
So as a hypothetical, let's say you're out drinking at a bar, and you start talking to this 29-year-old bartender.

While she's mixing up your drink, she starts talking about how she has a bunch of ideas to save the world, clean up the environment, generate infinite clean energy, solve world hunger, poverty, the whole 9 yards...and all she needs is a ton of your money! Would you give her all your money, or would you shake your head and walk away? I'm guessing you would not put much stock in what she said.

So just because that same airhead bartender puts on a $2,000 suit and moves to Washington DC, now you believe all of it?

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
So as a hypothetical, let's say you're out drinking at a bar, and you start talking to this 29-year-old bartender.

While she's mixing up your drink, she starts talking about how she has a bunch of ideas to save the world, clean up the environment, generate infinite clean energy, solve world hunger, poverty, the whole 9 yards...and all she needs is a ton of your money! Would you give her all your money, or would you shake your head and walk away? I'm guessing you would not put much stock in what she said.

So just because that same airhead bartender puts on a $2,000 suit and moves to Washington DC, now you believe all of it?
If she was elected to Congress then I would certainly hear her out and give her a fair shot.

Jul 25, 2013
England

About as much as I'd believe a so called billionaire in a £2000 suit who has a reputation for hiring illegals, not paying his employees and bankrupting casinos, is apparently a principled and smart busimessman, "Man of the people " who truly truly cares about the working class who wouldn't do something like walk into the oval office and make his biggest accomplishment giving himself a huge tax cut and not much else while many middle class workers are just now finding out that they actually owe taxes at the end of the tax year because of deductible expenses being removed due to the new tax code.

She was elected based on being a latino, running in a latino district. Nothing to do with her ideas or intellect.
That's a lot of identity politics for such a short post.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
huge tax cut and not much else while many middle class workers are just now finding out that they actually owe taxes at the end of the tax year because of deductible expenses being removed due to the new tax code.
Where is the evidence of this? Less than 30% of people itemized their taxes before tax reform, and the vast majority of those would have deducted less than the expanded standard deduction.

It is not mathematically possible for many people" to be paying more.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
Latinos immigrate to the US for welfare payed by non-latinos and jobs in an economy mostly built by non-latinos. If the US cut out some land for latin immigrants, to build a country for themselves, I doubt many would go there. It really is quite shocking how shameless and entitled some people can be. This is all a result of the US allowing the left to run rampant and take over its institutions and brainwash its people. To be fair the right in the US are responsible for this - they're the ones that are supposed to believe in freedom and all that jazz and defend American ideals but they're mostly just ignorant flag waving rednecks that can't do much other than whinge about liberal elites, vote for semi-literate imbeciles like bush and trump, and then whinge some more when the morons they elect run their country into the ground. America's collapse over the next few decades will be long, painful, and entertaining.
Basically the name of the game is non-whites expect to live off the blood, sweat and tears of white people as payment for our "privilege" I guess.

I got two words for AOC's desire for the US to totally open it's borders: Make us.

She is the new boogeywoman for the Right. They are gonna grasp at whatever straws they can in order to try and discredit her. Its pretty fun to watch though how so many people can be so afraid of her and what she represents lol
She represents evil, why wouldn't we be afraid of that?

What she's basically talking about is dissolving the USA, because without borders, you don't even really have a nation.

Dec 3, 2013
Nah let her be for better or worse.

I will definitely agree with her on these issues, but that does not absolve her from her own brand of extreme, but these definitely got my attention.

Let's see how far it goes, or if it does not fizzle out like every generation before her when she is told to Kowtow the company line.

Jan 12, 2009
I will definitely agree with her on these issues, but that does not absolve her from her own brand of extreme, but these definitely got my attention.

Let's see how far it goes, or if it does not fizzle out like every generation before her when she is told to Kowtow the company line.
Yeah that's the thing. Hopefully she'll make some nice contributions before long.

Mar 18, 2018
That's the way it's always been in America. If you're darker than Lady Gaga and have some non-white facial features belonging to African ancestry, you're either called black or biracial. Mostly you get called black.

In this country, it doesn't matter if one of your parents isn't black... You'll still get called black by everyone who sees you unless you're white-passing. And yes, that's a thing.

That's why Halle Berry, Barack Obama, Jordan Peele, Keegan Michael-Key and others are called black BEFORE it's ever known that they're biracial

For those who are white-passing, it really depends on what THEY identify as. Some are content to be called white and pass as white, never mentioning their African American heritage or family members (to them, being white is better than to ever acknowledge their black side)... And some identify as black... Like Rashida Jones or Wentworth Miller (although Miller sometimes identifies himself as more multiracial than just straight up black though he DEFINITELY acknowledges his African Americanz side).

Bet y'all didn't know Rashida Jones is half black...
It is also of note that Bi-racial is also used in a derogatory fashion by both white and black when used casually. Calling a person of white and black ancestry black is typically only derogatory when said by people prejudiced against black folks.

It’s a nuanced and possibly regional topic.

Mar 18, 2018
It's funny watching how obsessed the far right is with AOC. They'll go to no end to smear her. Then they ask why everyone is talking about her.
So let us be clear. Are you accusing people on this board of being far right? Or are to talking about the far right people you have identified outside this forum?

Because if it is the former, you are projecting fucking nonsense.

AOC is giving everyone tickets to her public political suicide. I guess that is her brand of socialism!

Last edited: