• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Resume Controversial File-Sharing Domain Seizures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerilee

Maybe it's just me, but I would think that pissing off European soccer/football fans and then leaving a note saying "America was here, bitches" would make America less safe, not more.

sangreal

itxaka said:
Those are US laws. What do they have to do with a spanish site? They are just used to basically steal a domain for a page in another country that they don't like no matter how legal it is on that country.

Not that I give a fuck, they registered another domain with a non-us registrar, problem solved. They accomplished a lot with that domain hijack (mainly more publicity lol)

You answered your own question. It is a US domain, what the fuck do Spanish laws have to do with their seizure?

The faster we can bring an end to the DHS the better off this country will be. It's a waste of tax payer money that doesn't actually help the general public at all

Garjon

BakedPigeon said:
http://myp2p.eu/ has not been seized yet, use it. Dont know if I can get banned for posting that link but fuck it, dont really care.
Just about every poster in every sports thread would be accountless if that was the case.
This is annoying in the UK, why shut down streams of sporting events that aren't even shown on TV in this country? What is that honestly going to achieve.

Also, question: I own ESPN but often when a match is on there is competition for the TV; would it be okay to watch a stream of the match as a backup?

WinoMcCougarstein said:
I'd gladly pay the NFL $100-200 a season if they let me stream every game in nice high quality HD. Until then, I will find streams online.

Most fans pay subscriptions to watch their team as much as possible live. The minimum price here to the largest provider is $65 a month, and that's without HD. There are times where your team may be shown three times, or two, or once and or not even once. There are 380 matches played in a season in the Premier League (soccer), and this provider show around 120 a season. On top of that, they will argue they show other games including the Champions League and other sports. But for most, they just want to watch their particular team play and so that price seems an awful lot for the other parts in that package you're not interested in.

So you can subscribe to an additional provider that shows a few games for around $15 extra a month. So if you're desperate to watch your team, and two of their games for their next few months are being shown on another channel, you're going to fork out $80 a month to watch a couple of games.

What's even more curious is that these copyright licenses are so strict now that its rare to even find radio broadcasts of commentary of these games. Yep, you can't watch it or listen to it even on radio even for games that are not broadcast live on TV in the country. A lot of these people using these online streams are not bandits, but ones that do pay their subscriptions already but find it inadequate.

minus_273

Banned
Roche178 said:
So the US government seems to think they own the internet, fantastic.

they do. they made it and still control the DNS system. If you dont like it, ask why your country didnt spend billions on developing the tech and stop using it.

Kuro Madoushi said:
:(
Why didn't you share this the rest of hockey GAF aka Leafs are the best team ever (manics tm)?

I have before, I also was the one posting the versus stream for the all star game.
LOLeafs

bengraven

The only way to stop pirating.

And probably the only way to help the US build back it's economy.

trollface.gif

Tapiozona

Banned
minus_273 said:
they do. they made it and still control the DNS system. If you dont like it, ask why your country didnt spend billions on developing the tech and stop using it.

Quoted for truth

Hari Seldon

ruby_onix said:
Maybe it's just me, but I would think that pissing off European soccer/football fans and then leaving a note saying "America was here, bitches" would make America less safe, not more.

Yeah but it is pretty damn baller when you put it that way.

bengraven said:
The only way to stop pirating.

And probably the only way to help the US build back it's economy.

trollface.gif
Yes as we have seen in the past, once you get a piracy website shutdown it discourages everyone on the Internet from ever trying it again.

Dead Man

minus_273 said:
Well I think Europe may want its WWW back then.

bengraven

ElectricBlue187 said:
Yes as we have seen in the past, once you get a piracy website shutdown it discourages everyone on the Internet from ever trying it again.

Maybe we should charge tens of thousands of people hundreds of thousands of dollars to discourage it.

trollface.gif x 2.

minus_273

Banned
Dead Man said:
Well I think Europe may want its WWW back then.

the DNS root name servers are mostly in the US and they are under the control of ICANN which is controlled by the commerce department of the federal government of the US. So if you are using the DNS you are likely using something provided and run by the federal government.

What part of the HTTP protocol is a service controlled by "Europe government"

to rephrase my post, if you are going to use a federal highway, you follow the rules. if you dont like the rules make your own highway.

Dead Man

minus_273 said:
the DNS root name servers are mostly in the US and they are under the control of ICANN which is controlled by the commerce department of the federal government of the US. So if you are using the DNS you are likely using something provided and run by the federal government.

to rephrase my post, if you are going to use a federal highway, you follow the rules. if you dont like the rules make your own highway.
My point was that the current incarnation of the internet is not a US invention, it is a combination of technologies invented in a few places. To say that becuase the US has the most economic power it de facto owns the internet is pathetic, as is the claim that it owns the internet becuase it invented it. But hey, you carry on with your national pride!

Xavien

minus_273 said:

Up until recently the US hasn't actually done anything like this to warrant development of another system, I'm sure after a while the EU will setup a similar system to the US to avoid dependence, just like the GPS system.

US should leave DNS's and registrars alone, otherwise they may find they have very little power over the Internet further down the road.

sangreal

Xavien said:
Up until recently the US hasn't actually done anything like this to warrant development of another system, I'm sure after a while the EU will setup a similar system to the US to avoid dependence, just like the GPS system.

US should leave DNS's and registrars alone, otherwise they may find they have very little power over the Internet further down the road.

If you don't want the US messing with your domain don't use a US TLD. Yes, that includes the gTLDs.

MIMIC

Banned
Complete and utter shock when I went to ATDHE.net this morning. I figured that ChannelSurfing was seized, too (but I haven't used that site in months). Now how will I watch tennis matches when I'm supposed to be at work....working? :)

*checks other source*

Wow. It still works. Wonder how long it's gonna last :-/

mj1108

Thank you DHS for protecting me from those bad, illegal video streams. I don't know what I'd do without you.

/s

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
minus_273 said:

not completely true

Older servers had their own name before the policy of using similar names was established.
The choice of 13 nameservers was made because of limitations in the original DNS specification, which specifies a maximum packet size of 512 bytes when using the User Datagram Protocol (UDP).[10] The addition of IPv6 addresses for the root nameservers requires more than 512 bytes, which is facilitated by the EDNS0 extension to the DNS standard.[11] While only 13 names are used for the root nameservers, there are many more physical servers; A, C, F, I, J, K, L and M servers now exist in multiple locations on different continents, using anycast address announcements to provide decentralized service. As a result most of the physical root servers are now outside the United States, allowing for high performance worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_nameserver

DNS Root Server System Advisory Committee is an ICANN committee. However, the root zone is controlled by the United States Department of Commerce who must approve all changes to the root zone file requested by ICANN. ICANN's bylaws[12] assign authority over the operation of the root nameservers of the Domain Name System to the DNS Root Server System Advisory Committee.

However, if Obama tried to killswitch the internet, I have no doubt some swedish dude would just go 'well fuck this' and create a new internets in about 4 seconds, being that there is a ton of root servers sitting all over europe. Can't be technically impossible to tell them to 'stop listening to american servers now please', and in a pinch get people to do a bit of trickery on their own local PCs to specify alternate DNS than that of their service provider.

So basically, the US invented the highway, and now there is a bunch of similar highways all over the world. Way to go US, you invented highways, now enjoy your glory and stop trying to fuck with everyones highways, they are not yours anymore.

Also, you're kind of ignoring the idea that a french guy not being able to watch a soccer game in spain because it's a 'crime' is retarded and shit. This is making the internet shitter.

Lambtron said:
Well I am glad that The Department of Homeland Security is diligently keeping the homeland safe today. I, for one, will be able to sleep soundly knowing that people will not be watching illegal streams of sporting events.

Plaguefox said:
Awesome, this is what I pay homeland security for!

jamesinclair said:
Fuck you Obama. We're paying homeland security how much so that people in france cannot watch a spanish soccer game?

Yeah, kinda my reaction as well.

Fox Mulder

WinoMcCougarstein said:
I'd gladly pay the NFL $100-200 a season if they let me stream every game in nice high quality HD. Until then, I will find streams online.

me too. Sunday Ticket is exclusive to directv, and I don't want to watch the shitty carolina panthers every week where I live. I go to online streams, which is just a CBS or Fox broadcast from some other city anyways. It's illegal, but it's not like I'm watching a stream of HBO or even ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom