• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi to reviewer: Give us an A review for Assassins Creed 2 or NO COPY FOR YOU!

Destructoid is reporting what happened to a German review magazine. Seriously, so tired of these companies trying to buy off a good score and even more tired of reviewers playing the game.

http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-demands-high-assassin-s-creed-2-review-score--154456.phtml

Ubisoft demands high Assassin's Creed 2 review score?
8 hours ago - 9:00 AM on 11.08.2009, Jim Sterling
61 comments

We hear about these situations far too much, where a publisher is accused of attempting to broker a guaranteed favorable review from a press outlet. The latest to face such allegations is Ubisoft, having been named and shamed by German magazine Computer Bild Spiele for demanding a high score for Assassin's Creed 2. SCANDAL!

"Our reviews are tough, but fair. We will not give up our independent scores for the sake of a timely review," explains the magazine in its latest issue. "This holds true for Assassin’s Creed 2. The publisher asked us to guarantee the score 'sehr gut,' otherwise we would not receive a review copy, thus we will publish our review in next month’s issue. We’d be more than glad to give the game a ’sehr gut’, but only if it deserves it."

Sehr Gut is essentially Computer Bild Spiele's version of an A-grade, meaning that Ubisoft was only willing to trade a game copy for an incredibly positive review. Of course, asking an outlet to guarantee something like that before they've played the game is asking them to trade in every ounce of integrity they've worked to build, and if these allegations are true, it's a shame that Ubisoft felt the need to barter against someone's self respect like that.

In any case, Computer Bild Spiele has probably ensured that it won't be getting any more games from Ubisoft. Good for them, and let shame rain down on any writer that actually agreed to such shenanigans.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
surely this surprises no one at this point.

Ranger X

While this is perfectly possible, Destructoid has been disinforming people alot about AC2 so far so this article isn't a surprise either. There clearly is a bias here.

That seems so silly to me... like when Ubi offered to take journalists to Italy or something... the game is looking great, why bother with this crap?

So, is this Computer Bild Spiele a big, reputable magazine? Or one who could be known for exaggerating/lying? Seems a bit much to believe a magazine I've never heard of, when they are the only ones making the claim and that's the only side we've heard (through a third-party, no less)

Robot 492

Banned
Ranger X said:
While this is perfectly possible, Destructoid has been disinforming people alot about AC2 so far so this article isn't a surprise either. There clearly is a bias here.

What does D'toid have against AC2?

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
That seems so silly to me... like when Ubi offered to take journalists to Italy or something... the game is looking great, why bother with this crap?

It has a big budget and the game needs to sell well. Initial positive reviews will help out a lot. Same reason nearly every other publisher pulls similar things when it comes to reviews.

Well to be fair, you assholes talked insane amounts of shit about AC1.
Just because a fantastically made videogame had a repetitive structure doesn't mean that it got the deserved to be crucified.

Costanza

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
So, is this Computer Bild Spiele a big, reputable magazine? Or one who could be known for exaggerating/lying? Seems a bit much to believe a magazine I've never heard of, when they are the only ones making the claim and that's the only side we've heard (through a third-party, no less)
Exactly what I was thinking.

WARP10CK

Banned
Well I think they made the right decision by refusing to go along with this lets hope other gaming magazines are gonna follow their example.

Nasreddin

Dreamwriter said:

It is the biggest German magazine concerning circulation. But it is targeting at the mainstream/ casual gamers. It has no relevance for "hardcore gamers".

the thing that sucks is that stuff like this getting out hurts the sties/mags who are actually honest and are not bribed into review scores much as it does anybody else.

sohois

Dreamwriter said:

Perhaps the fact that they're a smaller mag meant that Ubi thought they could get away with this, whereas maybe with a bigger publication Ubi wouldn't necessarily go through with such a gambit (except IGN lol).

Nizz

Xal-Shoota said:
what? I don't see the problem.

Business as usual, right?

:lol
Wasn't there a similar thing with Ubisoft and EGM? They got less than favorable reviews for AC1 and they basically took their ball and went home?

Ten-Song

This doesn't really surprise me from Ubisoft. Didn't they also pitch a fit over the 6.0 Crispin gave AC1 in EGM and said they would no longer provide them with preview builds of anything and such unless the score changed?

EDIT: beaten. :lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As expected from Ubi. Didn't they went apeshit with low AC 1 scores as well?

Edit: B-b-b-beaten.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think gaffers need to make a list of the journalists that went to italy so we can see if they review their copies.

Ranger X

nskinnear said:
What does D'toid have against AC2?

I don't know but their last preview was wrong on many points. From the top of my head i remember they did whine there was no subtitles and you couldn't turn off the stuff in the hud. Looks like they didn't play the game at the time they wrote that article.

Druz

Buckethead said:
Just because a fantastically made videogame had a repetitive structure doesn't mean that it got the deserved to be crucified.

Well to be fair, Assassin's Creed was horrible unless you're as easily entertained as a goldfish. Ubisoft likely had the same "give us a high score or be boycotted" policy back then too.

Firestorm

Not surprising.

From January 9th, 2008:
For the time being, you'll get little, late, or no coverage of the following products: anything Mortal Kombat (they didn't like our reviews), anything from Sony's sports department (ditto), and now, anything from Ubisoft (it seems our coverage of Assassin's Creed was the last straw). So in case you're wondering why you're seeing so little of these games in our magazines and on our websites, now you know.
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8568051&publicUserId=5379799

Ten-Song

Nachkebia said:
Maybe we should just ignore all the games that get rated higher than 85?

Or, better yet... maybe publishers should ignore metacritic and just focus on marketing their games?

Anth0ny

Video game reviewers getting bribed into giving great scores?

fm70w9.jpg

Firestorm

oh golly gee i can't wait to see which website has the world exclusive review of assassin's creed and what score they give it

Buckethead said:

Yes, it really did.

Grecco

Firestorm said:
oh golly gee i can't wait to see which website has the world exclusive review of assassin's creed and what score they give it

Gameinformer. Like they had for AC1. Remember.

Pimpbaa said:
I'm going to buy the game used now.

Seriously. I don't care how fucking good your game is. If you pull this shit, I'm buying used, and I think GAF should follow suit.

This is a publisher getting directly in the way of us, the consumers getting an unbiased account of whether or not their game is worth our hard earned money. Fuck them.

Nachkebia

Banned
Fuck ac2, lets focus at what they have bribed already, I mean after playing gta iv how could anybody trust metacritics or well respected reviewers like ign or eurogamer, fuck this shit...

Calcaneus

Oh Ubisoft, still using 2007 tactics to show how evil they are. Other, larger publishers have figured out much better ways to fuck shit up.

Top Bottom