• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft’s new games aren't available on Steam in several (all?) regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's real simple. If it's not on Steam I will not buy it. I've got plenty of great games to play.

Nzyme32

So it begins, like EA did.

This has been happening since 2011 and only in the UK, and the games always show up on Steam later anyway - most likely isn't happening and is influenced by something happening with Ubisoft in the UK. Some say it is GAME making deals but I'm not so sure

H1PSTER

That's it I'm boycotting Ubisoft games, sell them on steam or loose my service guys.

Edit: Bar the copy(s) of Unity, the one I won on steam and the one I've bought my girlfriend for Christmas.

I generally cannot be arsed with these guys anymore.

AkuMifune

Banned
It's real simple. If it's not on Steam I will not buy it. I've got plenty of great games to play.

I just pre-ordered Dragon Age: Inquisition off Origin and I feel like I need a bath.

At least Ubisoft is working on making Uplay more compatible with Steam, but I still hate games that use both as well. An overlay within an overlay within a shell in the hazy grey of my mind.

Opiate

As an important note, profit is only one (although the most important one) of the possible benefits a large publisher might look for in a product.

Another benefit that is also important would be control. Would a company, for instance, be willing to sacrifice some profit -- even in the long term -- if it meant that they could establish their own distribution system that they control and which allows them to price, distribute, and promote their products as they see fit? For a large publisher, the answer is frequently yes.

For the record, this is also why the major publishers tend to prefer the consoles to any other platform. On PC, Ubisoft can get lost in the enormous sea of software developers, where Ubisoft isn't even necessarily a top dog. One might list Valve, EA, Blizzard, CDProject, Mojang, Tencent, Zynga, and a variety of Chinese MMO firms as larger players in the PC space. On iOS, Ubisoft doesn't even register as a top 20 publisher.

On Xbox, it's really a competition between EA, Ubisoft, Take 2, and Activision. They have more control and more expertise in that arena, and that is a great benefit to them that is not extended to PC, iOS, Android, or of course Nintendo platforms.

dex3108

I just pre-ordered Dragon Age: Inquisition off Origin and I feel like I need a bath.

Why? Would you be able to play game on release? Yes. Will there be pre-load? Probably. Instead of starting Steam that day you will start Origin and play game difference is minimal.

Would using VPN to access Steam work? I have a non UK credit card.

Don't do that. Find somebody who will buy game for you or buy TF2 keys and trade them for game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would using VPN to access Steam work? I have a non UK credit card.

You can still receive gift copies of the game just fine, provided the user isn't in Eastern Europe, South America or South-east Asia. The titular issue is not the result of a region-locking mechanism being in place -- Ubi is just, asininely, continuing with the behaviour it has exhibited ever since UK retailers "rebelled" against Steam, beginning with THQ's Space Marine in 2011.

SliChillax

You can still receive gift copies of the game just fine, provided the user isn't in Eastern Europe, South America or South-east Asia. The titular issue is not the result of a region-locking mechanism being in place -- Ubi is just, asininely, continuing with the behaviour it has exhibited ever since UK retailers "rebelled" against Steam, beginning with THQ's Space Marine in 2011.

How does that work? I don't have anyone that could gift me games. Wouldn't using a VPN be easier?

JaseC

How does that work? I don't have anyone that could gift me games. Wouldn't using a VPN be easier?

Purchasing games from another region puts you at risk of having your account restricted. I'm sure there's a US GAFer here who would be willing to buy you Steam copies of Ubi's upcoming games in exchange for PayPal Bucks. I'd do it myself, but, yeah, Aussie Tax.

JaseC

As an important note, profit is only one (although the most important one) of the possible benefits a large publisher might look for in a product.

Another benefit that is also important would be control. Would a company, for instance, be willing to sacrifice some profit -- even in the long term -- if it meant that they could establish their own distribution system that they control and which allows them to price, distribute, and promote their products as they see fit? For a large publisher, the answer is frequently yes.

It has already been established, beyond reasonable doubt, that the unavailability of the games within the UK -- and the UK only -- is not the result of Ubisoft experimenting with Uplay exclusivity. While you make a poignant general point, it is immaterial to the situation at hand.

Edit: Bah, forgot to switch tabs.

BibiMaghoo

Good, it's frankly devious and annoying to sell a game on Steam only for it to launch another client for the same social and connected aspects Steam already has in place. It's bullshit, and I'd rather they were not there at all than pretend they are actually Steam games.

For the record, this is also why the major publishers tend to prefer the consoles to any other platform. On PC, Ubisoft can get lost in the enormous sea of software developers, where Ubisoft isn't even necessarily a top dog. One might list Valve, EA, Blizzard, CDProject, Mojang, Tencent, Zynga, and a variety of Chinese MMO firms as larger players in the PC space. On iOS, Ubisoft doesn't even register as a top 20 publisher.

On Xbox, it's really a competition between EA, Ubisoft, Take 2, and Activision. They have more control and more expertise in that arena, and that is a great benefit to them that is not extended to PC, iOS, Android, or of course Nintendo platforms.

I don't really have a problem with that- Blizzard's Battle.Net is fine for example. What annoys me about Origin (and UPlay in this instance) is that their owners are allowing their games to be sold via other outlets, but not via Steam (and also not in the UK in Ubisoft's case). It's not only anti-consumer, but also anticompetitive- which is presumably why they're doing it...

JaseC

I'm not looking for a cheaper copy, just a way to buy the game on Steam in the UK.

What I said before is the best you can do short of risking an account restriction. That it works out cheaper for you is a bonus.

Is there any information about why this is, or is everything just speculation? I'm curious about why it would be fine in the US with Ubi's integrated Uplay plan and not the UK.

kafiend

If I have a game on Steam and DLC is released, I see it and tend to buy quickly. I would have no idea if DLC is available for a game I only have on Uplay.

Lime

This has been going on for a while. At least two years, as far as I can recall. I think it's pressure from UK retailers on Ubisoft that forces them to wait with the release of their games on Steam until they've been in retail for a couple of days or something.

Dario ff

Banned
It's not just the UK now, but everywhere else too it seems.
Yeah, Unity and Far Cry 4 just disappeared from the steam store for me (Argentina), and trying the regular US one gives me nothing.

EDIT: I see the Steam discussion has moved to Community, that's why I couldn't find the thread.

SliChillax

What I said before is the best you can do short of risking an account restriction. That it works out cheaper for you is a bonus.

Man... I'm not really sure I wanna risk it. Good thing I never planned on buying any of them on day 1, let's hope they come to Steam later down the line.

Edit: So it's globally now? Fuck Ubisoft.

Possibility of the UK having hidden charges or rates that hasn't been settled between Ubisoft and Steam?

One not wanting to take on the cost? I don't know.

antitrop

That's it I'm boycotting Ubisoft games, sell them on steam or loose my service guys.

Edit: Bar the copy(s) of Unity, the one I won on steam and the one I've bought my girlfriend for Christmas.

I generally cannot be arsed with these guys anymore.
The best thing about an Ubisoft boycott is that the overall average quality of the games you play will rise dramatically.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Well, looks like they removed their games from Steam here in Argentina as well. Glad i pre-ordered AC: Unity on time.
Guess i won't be getting their games no more. What pisses me off is the fact that this leaves me with an incomplete version of AC: Unity, now i won't be able to buy the season pass later.

What a huge fuck up from UBI. They are pulling an EA on this, they'd rather let the games die or be pirated than having it available on Steam.

Nzyme32

Wow, did not expect them to do it globally. Dick move Ubi.

Shit just got interesting, because I'm pretty certain I have no intentions of using Uplay till it drastically improves and then demonstrates that consistently for a few years. I think a fair few feel the same. Heck I still haven't bought anything on Origin because they consistently launch broken games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom