• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Massive's Avatar game will not release before 2020

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Probably not shocking given the current release date of Avatar 2.

IGN said:
Ubisoft offered an update on its major releases for the next two upcoming years, including a new Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 5, and more. Not included in the update was Massive Entertainment's Avatar game, and Ubisoft has clarified that players shouldn't expect it in the next couple of years.

During today's Ubisoft earnings call, the publisher outlined plans to release eight AAA games in the next two years, but the Avatar game will not be one of them. In a statement provided to IGN, a representative for Ubisoft confirmed that there are no plans to release the game well ahead of Avatar 2's December 18, 2020 release date. According to Ubisoft, the new Avatar game "won't be released before FY21," or fiscal year 2021. For Ubisoft's financial calendar, that means the Avatar game will not be debuted before April 1, 2020.

"Avatar is one of the biggest and most powerful entertainment brands. Our first game was profitable and we have great plans for the new one, with a very strong studio and engine. The movie will be released end of 2020, so our game won’t be released before FY21," a representative for Ubisoft told IGN.
source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/16/ubisoft-clarifies-avatar-game-release-window-plans

Vinc

Totally expected and unsurprising. The announcement was probably to recruit staff.

It'll take some time to get it right, and I'm very excited to see it. I think there's huge potential!

shandy706

So is the movie in production with massive render time needed, or is it pre-production?

I figure the CGI processing of this movie is going to take forever to complete. (assuming they're going all out insane for it)

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How long has this being in development? 2016?

No way this doesn't bomb hard, even if it sells good enough I don't think they're going to make their money back.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

No way this doesn't bomb hard, even if it sells good enough I don't think they're going to make their money back.

The Division started back around 2009 and was the biggest new IP of all time when it came out.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's so powerful nobody's done anything with it in close to a decade.

outubro-24.jpg

Tell that to Disney world.

Vinc

What? They just announced it this year, and even if it's been in development since last year, 2020-2021 sounds about right. I also don't think there's a chance it'll "bomb hard". Avatar is a huge brand.

Gator86

Everything about this sounds terrible. Will anyone even remember the original Avatar in 2020? Then again, Ubi games move units, Avatar made bank, and people like things that seem bad, so this will probably become the highest grossing game in history or something.

Alienous

Or 2021

Or 2022

Or 2023

Avatar is such a forced IP. Avatar 2 will disappoint financially and this whole thing will be shut down.

Or 2021

Or 2022

Or 2023

Avatar is such a forced IP. Avatar 2 will disappoint financially and this whole thing will be shut down.

Cameron has pulled 2 movies worth a billion each out of his magical hat. I wouldn't be so quick to disparage, especially with China gearing up (or already being) a huge market.

Alienous

It's a forced intellectual property?

What the hell are you talking about?

It isn't a Star Wars, or a Transformers, or a Harry Potter.

How much, uh, blue people(?) cosplay do you see?

People don't care about Avatar, but the studio behind it seems to want people to believe Avatar 2 and its sequels are hotly anticipated.

jelly

Say what you will about the Avatar film but a video game in that world, drool.

720p on PS4 and 600p on Xbox One :p

SpaceWolf

Banned
It isn't as Star Wars or a Transformers.

How much, uh, blue people(?) cosplay to do you see?

People don't care about Avatar, but the studio behind it seems to want people to believe Avatar 2 and its sequels are hotly anticipated.

Do you mean it's a forced franchise?

I mean, even that would be an absurd statement, considering they're literally making sequels to the highest grossing film of all time, that was always intended to be the first installment in an ongoing story....so there honestly couldn't be anything less "forced " about it turning into a series of movies.

But disparaging something being a forced "intellectual property" is literally akin to saying Pixar's Brave "is such a forced trademark!". Intellectual property is strictly related to copyright for branding purposes, a means of maintaining intellectual ownership of a creative work. Decrying Avatar for being "a forced IP" is a meaningless statement because it doesn't make any sense as a critique.

So shared online universe Avatar game? Sounds cool, kind of. It has potential if executed properly and I hope that have a campaign of some sorts.

I mean, even that would be an absurd statement, considering they're literally making sequels to the highest grossing film of all time, that was always intended to be the first installment of a series....so there honestly couldn't be anything less "forced " about it turning it into a franchise.

But disparaging something being a forced "intellectual property" is literally akin to saying Pixar's Brave "is such a forced trademark!". Intellectual property is strictly related to copyright for branding purposes, a means of maintaining intellectual ownership of a creative work. Decrying Avatar for being "a forced IP" is beyond a meaningless statement, because it doesn't make any sense.
I mean this such a passionless blue hill to die on.

mcrommert

Banned

I mean, even that would be an absurd statement, considering they're literally making sequels to the highest grossing film of all time, that was always intended to be the first installment in an ongoing story....so there honestly couldn't be anything less "forced " about it turning it into a series of movies.

But disparaging something being a forced "intellectual property" is literally akin to saying Pixar's Brave "is such a forced trademark!". Intellectual property is strictly related to copyright for branding purposes, a means of maintaining intellectual ownership of a creative work. Decrying Avatar for being "a forced IP" is beyond a meaningless statement, because it doesn't make any sense.

The last movie was 8 years ago and will be over a decade old when the next one comes out...the interest in the original movie was for its groundbreaking cgi and 3d work...neither of which are interesting or popular anymore. It will bomb so badly that the production companies involved will die and the studios will nearly die. He is shooting a handful of sequels at the same time so after the first bombs the damage will be much larger than a normal bomb...to make back their money on these films they will have to gross an unbelievable amount of money...and they wont

TLDR: Never get high on your own supply

Top Bottom