• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Massive's Avatar game will not release before 2020

SpaceWolf

Banned
It will bomb so badly that the production companies involved will die and the studios will nearly die.

(Eyes glaze over)

I mean, there's an excellent chance the sequel isn't going to do anywhere near as well as the first, and might even prove to be a serious financial disappointment at the box office...but c'mon, dude.

mcrommert

Banned
(Eyes glaze over)

I mean, there's an excellent chance the sequel isn't going to do anywhere near as well as the first, and might even prove to be a serious financial disappointment at the box office...but c'mon, dude.

MGM almost died during the financial crisis with much less money at stake. With the amount of money we are talking about here...

The last movie was 8 years ago and will be over a decade old when the next one comes out...the interest in the original movie was for its groundbreaking cgi and 3d work...neither of which are interesting or popular anymore. It will bomb so badly that the production companies involved will die and the studios will nearly die. He is shooting a handful of sequels at the same time so after the first bombs the damage will be much larger than a normal bomb...to make back their money on these films they will have to gross an unbelievable amount of money...and they wont

TLDR: Never get high on your own supply

you should probably take your own advice.

The last movie was 8 years ago and will be over a decade old when the next one comes out...the interest in the original movie was for its groundbreaking cgi and 3d work...neither of which are interesting or popular anymore. It will bomb so badly that the production companies involved will die and the studios will nearly die. He is shooting a handful of sequels at the same time so after the first bombs the damage will be much larger than a normal bomb...to make back their money on these films they will have to gross an unbelievable amount of money...and they wont

TLDR: Never get high on your own supply

I think the second movie will do somewhere between $700m+, with a chance of maybe beating the first movie.
But with how long it's been it will be overhyped/people will be completely disinterested the 3rd and 4th movie will suffer much more, probably barely being profitable, if profitable at all.
With the 5th maybe being cancelled. I think there is a 5th?
They are making 2-5 right now right?
Or is it 2-4 only?

edit: Unless the 2nd movie somehow is completely amazing. It could turn into the Fast and Furious series and just make more money with each sequel.

SpaceWolf

Banned
MGM almost died during the financial crisis with much less money at stake. With the amount of money we are talking about here...

Are you seriously comparing 20th Century Fox to MGM?

How much money do you think is at stake on the sequel, exactly? 100 bajillion dollars?

mcrommert

Banned
Are you seriously comparing 20th Century Fox to MGM?

How much money do you think is at stake on the sequel, exactly? 100 bajillion dollars?

I overstated the death stuff...but seriously the amount of cash they are talking about is going to be an enormous set back...my problem is that they are obviously doing a "we don't know why this is popular but it was so we are going all in" i mean cameron made 350 million dollars from the last movie because they didn't think it would be as popular as it was and gave him a contract that was stupid for them...

mcrommert

Banned
I think the second movie will do somewhere between $700m+, with a chance of maybe beating the first movie.
But with how long it's been it will be overhyped/people will be completely disinterested the 3rd and 4th movie will suffer much more, probably barely being profitable, if profitable at all.
With the 5th maybe being cancelled. I think there is a 5th?
They are making 2-5 right now right?
Or is it 2-4 only?

yeah 700 million is possible...the original made 2.7+ billion..and thats where they are shooting with the budgets

4 movies all together so far

Do people still care about Avatar? Is been close to 10 years since the first movie and it wasn't even that good. The effects were what sold it. I can't imagine a sequel doing well and Disney will take a huge loss on the property.

yeah 700 million is possible...the original made 2.7+ billion..and thats where they are shooting with the budgets

4 movies all together so far

Oh did it make 2.7bill? I was thinking 1 billion. (I think I had an old article converting it into money as if it was when titanic came out)

I change my answer then. lol. 1.5 billion at least. Maybe 2 billion. I'd be shocked if it somehow made as much/more than the original.

The second movie will do well because of the how long it took to came out.
Number 3 and 4 will either do great or horrible depending how good 2 is.

Vinc

I doubt Avatar 2, 3, or 4 will cost more than 300 mil to make at the very most. They'll easily make more than that at the worldwide box office. I have no idea why you'd think they'd drop off THAT much. It's not like there was a huge backlash against the first one, and a lot of people love it.

CamHostage

Do people still care about Avatar? Is been close to 10 years since the first movie and it wasn't even that good. The effects were what sold it. I can't imagine a sequel doing well and Disney will take a huge loss on the property.

They're struggling to make Avatar relevant again with the Disney World attraction and the sequel pre-hype, but to be fair, James Cameron does not have a bomb on his resume for feature cinema (The Abyss is as close to a financial disappointment as he's gotten; look at the documentaries as you will,) and lots of time and care is being taken to ensure that Avatar 2-through-X are something other than quick cash-grabs. The two heaviest flop predictions against Cameron were Titanic and Avatar, and both of those turned out to be the biggest box office hits of their generation. So I agree with you that the craving for more Avatar seems to be all one-sided so far, but like him or not, it tends to be a bad gamble to bet against James Cameron.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe that it's been over 2 1/2 years since this topic was created. Of course, I never expected it to be a current gen game. Wouldn't be shocked to see it at Ubisoft's E3 2020 showcase.

shaddam

The ps3 version was my first platinum. It was sometimes repetitive, but I mostly enjoyed it. I also played it on my friend's psp. It really helped me to survive some boring time in school :messenger_grinning:

Coconutt

Does anyone see Avatar 2 doing better than Avatar 1? Avatar 1 held that highest grossing movie title for a long time. After seeing the first one, I can't say I'm excited to see a sequel, felt that the first one wrapped things up nicely at the end.

Chiggs

It will bomb so badly that the production companies involved will die and the studios will nearly die. He is shooting a handful of sequels at the same time so after the first bombs the damage will be much larger than a normal bomb...to make back their money on these films they will have to gross an unbelievable amount of money...and they wont

What a load of shit. Disney will be pushing these on a global scale with the full force of their marketing. Get real, bud.

stranno

The ps3 version was my first platinum. It was sometimes repetitive, but I mostly enjoyed it. I also played it on my friend's psp. It really helped me to survive some boring time in school :messenger_grinning:
The PC/360/PS3 game was a surprisingly ambitious and fun sandbox-hubs game. With three campaigns (one of them is really short and barely makes any sense tho) and cool landscapes.

The Wii/PSP game was just a linear action game but it was still fun.

I have never played the DSi Enhanced Nintendo DS version, but it looks like a cheap Zelda clone.

Top Bottom