• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Beyond Good & Evil 2 needs more hardware power to run

Izick

I don't know why they couldn't just go through the PC route first then port it to the next-gen consoles when they arrive.
/smh

Because it's likely that they'd think that the consumer would see it as old hat then.

I personally don't think that'd be the case, but that's the only thing that I can think of.

Eusis

Good for them, but that sounds like a terrible business model to me.
I think that depends, but it doesn't seem as smart to me as it did in the 80s/90s when we had major jumps all the time. Thing seems to be cooling down though in terms of raw computing power, so it's hard to imagine anything that couldn't be done at least on the PS3 (or anything with blu-ray) with a bit of careful design and creativity. Maybe I'll surprised though, but most likely you'd have a few wild ambitious games like this and a lot of even prettier corridor games next-gen.

EDIT: Actually, I guess unless you're owned by a hardware producer it's ALWAYS a poor business model, but a good creative one. Problem is the advantages for creativity are drastically dropping all the time, the 90s allowed bigger and more open 3D worlds further in as technology progressed, while the 80s and early 90s were still so young that pushing technology was partially a matter of seeing how much text you could squeeze in.

But that's never the point with someone of Ancel's game design stature.

Honestly, I never got the hype for his game work. A lot of it is just... eh.

Pick 'n Pile (1990) – Story
Rayman (1995) – Concept & Design
Tonic Trouble (1999) – Concept
Rayman 2: The Great Escape (1999) – Concept, Game Design, Artistic Design & Story Concept
Rayman Arena (2001) – Character Design
Beyond Good & Evil (2003) – Director, Game Design & Story
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie (2005) – Creative Director & Game Designer
Rayman Raving Rabbids (2006) – Character Design & Based on a World Created By
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (2007) – Character Design & Based on a World created By
Rayman Origins (2011) - Concept & Design
Rayman Legends (TBA) - Concept & Design
Beyond Good & Evil 2 (TBA) – Designer

In fact, looking at that list. KIND OF FUCKING SHIT.

Eusis

Rayman impressed people, and so did BG&E. In fact, that's exactly why he did the King Kong game: Peter Jackson was so impressed by BG&E he wanted Ancel to do the game rather than anyone else.

But personally I never did care that much. Rayman LOOKS nice and it's a style I'm fond of (good 32-bit 2D), but I didn't have much fun play the PS1 game when I got it on the PSN though I'll give it another shot on the Vita, I also wasn't all that impressed with Rayman Origins despite being a game loads of people loved, and I always thought BG&E was highly overrated.

Haunted

1mBR7.gif

Ancel is a legend.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

These are the games he directed:
Rayman
Rayman 2
Beyond Good and Evil
King Kong
Rayman Origins
By what measure or standard is that 'KIND OF FUCKING SHIT'?

Izick

Was "King Kong" any good? I remember all the reviews of the time saying it was a good game, but I've heard people say it's shit over the years.

boingball

Doesn't look better than UC or The Last of Us. I guess that is the problem of multi-platform development compared to HW tailored development.

I admittedly never *owned* it but I played through enough of it to not really feel it was anything more than a generic FPS tied into a recent movie (I guess the lack of game-y elements like a proper HUD was kind of immersive?). Guess being merely 'generic' already puts it above most other movie games, but I really doubt Ancel would list King Kong alongside Rayman 2, Origins or BG&E as his accomplishments. At the same time calling his list of work 'kind of fucking shit' due to one arguably bad egg is still dumb.

Lijik

Was "King Kong" any good? I remember all the reviews of the time saying it was a good game, but I've heard people say it's shit over the years.

Its kinda fun, but its not super stellar ala Rayman 2 or Beyond Good and Evil.
Theres some absolutely great atmospheric high points in the game, but theres also a lot of samey Torch puzzles. The Kong levels (which are super dumbed down iterations of Rayman 2-esque platforming merged with some brawling) just become less fun each time one of them comes along.

I wouldn't call it a bad game, but its not Ancel's finest hour.

thefil

I remember it being one of the first and best implemented versions of the HUD-less first person game. I really liked playing it on the 360.

hlhbk

Here is an idea, release is for the only platform that can currently run it: THE PC!

Then release it next year when the new consoles launch for them.

Massa

Here is an idea, release is for the only platform that can currently run it: THE PC!

Then release it next year when the new consoles launch for them.

That would help it bomb even harder than the original, so great idea if that's the goal!

Spazznid

the only problem with the pc ver. of BGE is that the default settings give crap speeds. there are a few settings you can change to fix speed issues. Google that for yourselves. took me a total of 2 minutes and then two minutes again when I had to reinstall it later on. perfect, buttery smooth BGE on my old 9800gt and now on my 580.

Is there a way to get it to work on 64-bit PC's? It used to always run like shit on my old laptop so it annoyed me when it wouldn't even install on my new desktop.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
" We focus on the game. We create it first, then we'll see what can run it "

Basically confirms the rumor that the tech and scale was too big for current gen and the game was delayed to next gen plateforms

You have it backwards: Ancel confirmed that the game won't appear until the next generation of hardware; it was a later rumour that suggested otherwise.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"Can it run BG&E2?" is going to be the new "Can it run Crysis?" I really wish they would just stop mentioning this until it's actually happening and in a show able state. It'll make it hurt less when it finally gets cancelled instead of just stringing us along by our last thread of hope.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard

i love it, and it's one of my favorite first person games in recent memory. if you value atmosphere and setting and a feeling of making a long continuous journey more than you value shooting mechanics, i say get on it.

kevm3

Hopefully the finished game doesn't use that 'shakey camera' effect. It really gives me a headache.

itxaka

Defeatist
More power? PUT IN ON PC Ubisoft!

I mean, seeing the screenshots I don't think it needs more power than AC2 at max on current PCs.

Shiggy

More power? PUT IN ON PC Ubisoft!

I mean, seeing the screenshots I don't think it needs more power than AC2 at max on current PCs.

All screens, videos, and artworks are from 2008/2009 when they still actively worked on BG&E2 and planned it for a PS3/360 release. Only after autumn 2009 the project was halted, probably not for technical reasons but because Ubisoft had doubts about the financial viability of this project huh

Empty

i love it, and it's one of my favorite first person games in recent memory. if you value atmosphere and setting and a feeling of making a long continuous journey more than you value shooting mechanics, i say get on it.

unfortunately they undermine it occasionally by cutting to rubbish kong brawler sections. but it is excellent outside of that, very effective use if the half-life 2 first person storytelling style especially with the protagonist speaking too to help with immersion. the continuous journey is spot on and i particularly enjoy how it takes you from some grisly parts of the island, sludge through muddy rivers crawling with horrible creatures to walking through beautiful forests and great scenes of wonder where you first see the line of bronotosauraus' crossing a valley.

it's a good game and definitely worth a play now it's cheap and it being a five hour game is a selling point rather than poor value for money.

Well I'd rather see it delayed by another 2-3 years than have it cancelled outright or severely pruned back to fit on the current ageing hardware.

TriGen

Man, I remember seeing BGE2 footage back in 2009 or something. Which will release first: this or The Last Guardian?

I'd still say the Last Guardian, but I'm confident that won't come out this year, and maybe not even in 2013. So that means it will be next-gen time when TLG actually comes out, so the new hardware will be out for Ancel, it is actually possible for BGE2 to actually come out first.

Peff

King Kong actually got a lot of flack a year or so after release because getting 1000/1000 achievements just requires finishing the game, so it got bunched with Avatar, Fusion Frenzy 2 and others, but it was (rightfully) well received at the time.

This really doesn't seem like the kind of game that they want to focus specifications and powerful hardware on. The more expensive they make the game to develop, the more and more it's going to bite them. I really figured that since they were finally given the opportunity to go back to this franchise, they would want it to actually be more successful. This just seems like the wrong approach to me. Especially given the stylistic look of the original game.

For the love of god Ubi STFU ....

on a side note,, is BG&E available anywhere on the PSN or XboxLive ? I'd like to try that :/

Top Bottom