• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft+ Coming To Xbox Soon

sainraja

a timer. I have 1 month timer. after that, i lose access.
Are you serious? lol
It's whatever many months you let the subscription renew (and for most of them, renewal is automatic). So there isn't really a timer in the sense you are saying — the timer is someone's personal decision, when they decide to end it.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
But since my physical books are safe and sound, I do currently own them. They are not licensed to me, or on loan from another person. They are my physical books that I own outright.

You answered
If a fire ran through my house and burned my books they would cease to exist. However, that doesn't mean that I don't really own them because of the probability of them getting destroyed.
As long as that risk exist, you dont own it.

If you feel that you don't actually own anything then you won't mind me coming to your place and taking away all your physical possessions. After all, you don't really own them do you, so I'll take them off your hands. PM your address. Thanks.
Talk to uncle sam. He owns my stuff.

kingfey

Banned
Are you serious? lol
It's whatever many months you let the subscription renew (and for most of them, renewal is automatic). So there isn't really a timer in the sense you are saying — the timer is someone's personal decision, when they decide to end it.
15$ for 1 month. That is a timer. You dont get extra month for free. You need to pay for the next month. Same for the 1 year sub too. There is no personal decision. Its either you pay it, or no access for you.

Lognor

Banned
high quality GIF
Let me put it another way that you'll understand: I've paid for Game Pass so I need to pay nothing more to play this game. The cost of playing this game is zero. Get it?

So yeah, I'll try it. For free ;)

sainraja

15$ for 1 month. That is a timer. You dont get extra month for free. You need to pay for the next month. Same for the 1 year sub too. There is no personal decision. Its either you pay it, or no access for you.
Subscriptions will continue until the person "subscribing" makes a decision to cancel — therefore, in your terms, they decide to 'end' their timer which is continuous as long as the payment cycle continues. lol. We're saying the same thing but you are being weird about it. The only thing you are not acknowledging is that subscriptions generally automatically renew so your timer isn't just going to end, it will get "reset".

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Let me put it another way that you'll understand: I've paid for Game Pass so I need to pay nothing more to play this game. The cost of playing this game is zero. Get it?

So yeah, I'll try it. For free ;)

The cost is the subscription fee. Saying "I need pay nothing more to play this game" is completely accurate, but the fact that you paid anything means it wasn't free.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You answered

As long as that risk exist, you dont own it.

Talk to uncle sam. He owns my stuff.

Upon my word, I can't believe what I'm reading!

If my books turn to ash in a blazing inferno then of course I no longer own them because they no longer exist for me to own. However, in their current condition they are mine and I do own them. You can't say I don't own my books because they might get destroyed in the future.

Absolute nonsense.

Lognor

Banned
The cost is the subscription fee. Saying "I need pay nothing more to play this game" is completely accurate, but the fact that you paid anything means it wasn't free.

Allow me to put it another way.

You had to pay for Gamepass in order to play said game.

So yeah, it wasn't free 😉
Okay, if we had to put a cost on it to play this one game, what would it be?

It can't be $15 because I have access to over a hundred games. So let's say there are 100 games on Game Pass (we know there are a lot more than that), so each game is $0.15 to play an unlimited time in a month. So if we're allocating costs, I'll pay $0.15 to try this game out. And if I play it two months, we can allocate $0.30. We all cool with that?

Now say it with me: Game Pass is the best value in gaming

;)

Topher

Gold Member

It can't be $15 because I have access to over a hundred games. So let's say there are 100 games on Game Pass (we know there are a lot more than that), so each game is $0.15 to play an unlimited time in a month. So if we're allocating costs, I'll pay $0.15 to try this game out. And if I play it two months, we can allocate $0.30. We all cool with that?

;)

Probably would be more accurate to look at it from the perspective of games you actually played rather than the number of games available. But it doesn't matter. Factually you paid money so say it with me: Game Pass is not free.

Lognor

Banned
Probably would be more accurate to look at it from the perspective of games you actually played rather than the number of games available. But it doesn't matter. Factually you paid money so say it with me: Game Pass is not free.
No, Game Pass is not free.

The additional cost for me to play this game is zero. If you don't have Game Pass you gotta pay more to play this game. Get it?

IDKFA

;)

I'm not denying that Gamepass is great value for money.

You can add whatever cost per play you like, but the fact is that you're not playing for free.

NickFire

;)
Thats a fair way to look at it. Another fair way is the game cost $15 as it’s only rented as a package deal for $15.

Anyway, why Is the known price being debated? is this issue like the final battle in a future console wars argument or something? How come I didn’t get the memo on that by the way? I’ve been around long enough I’d think.

kingfey

Banned
Upon my word, I can't believe what I'm reading!

If my books turn to ash in a blazing inferno then of course I no longer own them because they no longer exist for me to own. However, in their current condition they are mine and I do own them. You can't say I don't own my books because they might get destroyed in the future.

Absolute nonsense.
Same thing for online service subscription. Digital games.
You own them, until something happens to them. Just like how you own your books, until something happens to them.

Which is my main point. Your ownership is temporary. Hence you dont own anything. 1 year, 2 year, 10 years. However long it takes. once you lose it, you forfeit your ownership.

IDKFA

Same thing for online service subscription. Digital games.
You own them, until something happens to them. Just like how you own your books, until something happens to them.

Which is my main point. Your ownership is temporary. Hence you dont own anything. 1 year, 2 year, 10 years. However long it takes. once you lose it, you forfeit your ownership.

Digital is different. It's not a physical product and it comes with a licence agreement that makes it clear you do not own the code.

When I buy a book, it doesn't come with a licence agreement stating I don't own the physical book.

Saying nothing physical is truly owned because it might get destroyed is ludicrous. Your argument is flawed because it's based on a probability that my book collection might get destroyed, but as it has not been destroyed I must therefore own the books, yes?

If I'm wrong then please lay down the premise of your argument that supports your conclusion.

kingfey

Banned
Digital is different. It's not a physical product and it comes with a licence agreement that makes it clear you do not own the code.
Yes. You own the license, not the code as you said. Same with physical games. You dont own the code on the disc, but the license to play the game. As its actual a crime, to share the code of the product.

When I buy a book, it doesn't come with a licence agreement stating I don't own the physical book.
The book doesnt have a license. But it comes with a risk of being ripped, water damage, and other hazards. You need to place it in a careful area, so that it doesnt get damaged.

Saying nothing physical is truly owned because it might get destroyed is ludicrous. Your argument is flawed because it's based on a probability that my book collection might get destroyed, but as it has not been destroyed I must therefore own the books, yes?
House items, which are easy to break. TVs. Cars. anything that is easy to break.

Your book for example, needs strong cabinet. If your cabinet isnt strong, you can damage your books.

Probabilities have nothing to do with it. Its how well they can stand with time, and how careful you are with them. that is you prolong your ownership.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Product vs service. It shouldn't be that hard to know/understand the difference between the two business models, and yet the topic keeps coming back like a boomerang...
You don't "get" the games that come with the service either.

The point is that using "free" for any sub service is some vudu marketing shit, where consumers are doing the marketing for the companies.

It's not a big deal, it's just something to keep in mind when describing them. Not a bash on GamePass, it's just in general not how media sub services should be talked about particularly those where large swaths of the content can only be accessed for a limited time.

And it does effect the value of the service; you can show me a huge list of games right now for GamePass.. but some of those games are something I'd want to play for months.. and might be nearing the end of their life.. or maybe I just don't have much time to game right now. GamePass is a great value, but it's not a service where you "get" games.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

What has happened to this thread.

The bigger questions here are what will the pricing be? Will it be an identical service as to what is on PC? Is there any type of bundle discount with GP? Is there a EA Play type budget tier? If MS made these type of arrangements with several of the largest devs (Sega, SE, Activision, Take Two, etc.) what could that mean for GP? Would we see a kind of pick what you want approach (say regular GPU you get to pick one "channel" or with an upgraded tier you get to pick two)? A lot of potential ways forward with this type of thing.

kingfey

Banned

The bigger questions here are what will the pricing be? Will it be an identical service as to what is on PC? Is there any type of bundle discount with GP? Is there a EA Play type budget tier? If MS made these type of arrangements with several of the largest devs (Sega, SE, Activision, Take Two, etc.) what could that mean for GP? Would we see a kind of pick what you want approach (say regular GPU you get to pick one "channel" or with an upgraded tier you get to pick two)? A lot of potential ways forward with this type of thing.
They will need to do tier service. I doubt console players will pay 15$ for it, considering xbox live, gamepass/ultimate.

IDKFA

Yes. You own the license, not the code as you said. Same with physical games. You dont own the code on the disc, but the license to play the game. As its actual a crime, to share the code of the product.

The book doesnt have a license. But it comes with a risk of being ripped, water damage, and other hazards. You need to place it in a careful area, so that it doesnt get damaged.

House items, which are easy to break. TVs. Cars. anything that is easy to break.

Your book for example, needs strong cabinet. If your cabinet isnt strong, you can damage your books.

Probabilities have nothing to do with it. Its how well they can stand with time, and how careful you are with them. that is you prolong your ownership.

Sure. I don't own my books because of the possibility of them getting damaged or destroyed. Whatever you say.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You don't "get" the games that come with the service either.

The point is that using "free" for any sub service is some vudu marketing shit, where consumers are doing the marketing for the companies.

It's not a big deal, it's just something to keep in mind when describing them. Not a bash on GamePass, it's just in general not how media sub services should be talked about particularly those where large swaths of the content can only be accessed for a limited time.

And it does effect the value of the service; you can show me a huge list of games right now for GamePass.. but some of those games are something I'd want to play for months.. and might be nearing the end of their life.. or maybe I just don't have much time to game right now. GamePass is a great value, but it's not a service where you "get" games.

Its also worth noting that the more services you have on a platform the more profitable it gets for the service provider(s). You can multiply up the number of titles all you want but there's still the same number of hours in each billing cycle.

Also, the business model thrives on the idea that its a fixed monthly income, and one where most people won't be too fussed if they don't cancel the moment interest wanes. The expectation being that many people will think about cancelling their sub, but probably will forget to do so and allow it roll on for at least an extra month or two.

The key thing is that the more fragmented it all gets, the worse the actual "value" for individual users. I mean if you have Netflix, and Prime, and Apple, etc. Are you really going to be using them all equally? You are going to find yourself paying a full sub for a single movie or show sooner or later, and that's not really such a great deal!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm also somewhat interested in this. It's $15 a month for PC ($18 if you add Stadia or Luna streaming), my guess is they'll try to keep this price. However, the PC version also has a bunch of games that aren't available on Xbox, such as Anno, Might and Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic, Silent Hunter, Settlers, etc. Probably half their catalog isn't on Xbox.

If this is any more than $10/month it's DOA.

IntentionalPun

Its also worth noting that the more services you have on a platform the more profitable it gets for the service provider(s). You can multiply up the number of titles all you want but there's still the same number of hours in each billing cycle.

Also, the business model thrives on the idea that its a fixed monthly income, and one where most people won't be too fussed if they don't cancel the moment interest wanes. The expectation being that many people will think about cancelling their sub, but probably will forget to do so and allow it roll on for at least an extra month or two.

The key thing is that the more fragmented it all gets, the worse the actual "value" for individual users. I mean if you have Netflix, and Prime, and Apple, etc. Are you really going to be using them all equally? You are going to find yourself paying a full sub for a single movie or show sooner or later, and that's not really such a great deal!
I mean.. sure..

That's just not what we were talking about lol

Economies of scale are why sub services can afford so much content.. but it's still not content the user owns, or even has permeant access too if they keep paying.

Content coming and going is partly how they get people to stay on the service; and partly a function of what the content providers are willing to offer.

But from the customer standpoint; none of it is free.. it's just all you can consume (that's available during your subscription time period.)

Last edited:
That price is justified for pc players. Since they dont pay for online, compared to console players.

Here is the list for their games on the service. Also, every new game that drops, will be on the service. Its like gamepass, if you only play xbox games, but for pc players. It has all dlc and adds on, unlike xbox gamepass, which has the base game only.
  • Anno 1800 - Deluxe Edition
  • Anno 2205 - Ultimate Edition
  • Assassin's Creed - Director's Cut
  • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - Deluxe Edition
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles - China
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles - India
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles - Russia
  • Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry - Standalone Edition
  • Assassin's Creed II - Deluxe Edition
  • Assassin's Creed III + Liberation Remastered
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - Gold Edition
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Ultimate Edition*
  • Assassin's Creed Origins - Gold Edition*
  • Assassin's Creed Origins - Discovery Tour
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations - Standard Edition
  • Assassin's Creed Rogue - Deluxe Edition
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Gold Edition*
  • Assassin's Creed Unity - Standard Edition
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Brothers in Arms: Earned In Blood
  • Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
  • Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
  • Child of Light
  • Cold Fear
  • Far Cry 2 - Fortune's Edition
  • Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon (Standalone)
  • Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Edition
  • Far Cry 4 - Gold Edition
  • Far Cry 5 - Gold Edition*
  • Far Cry New Dawn - Deluxe Edition
  • Far Cry Primal - Digital Apex Edition
  • Flashback Origin
  • For Honor - Marching Fire Edition
  • From Dust
  • Gods & Monsters (coming soon)
  • I Am Alive
  • Imperialism
  • Imperialism 2
  • Might & Magic IX
  • Might & Magic VII - For Blood And Honor
  • Might & Magic VIII -Day of the Destroyer
  • Might & Magic X Legacy - Deluxe Edition
  • Might & Magic: Heroes II - Gold Edition
  • Might & Magic: Heroes III - Complete Edition
  • Might & Magic: Heroes V - Standard Edition
  • Might & Magic: Heroes VI - Gold Edition
  • Might & Magic: Heroes VI - Shades of Darkness
  • Might & Magic: Heroes VII - Deluxe Edition
  • Might & Magic: Heroes VII - Trial by Fire
  • Monopoly PLUS
  • Ode
  • Panzer General 2
  • Panzer General 3D assault
  • POD Gold
  • Prince of Persia (2008)
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Deluxe Edition
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
  • Rayman 2
  • Rayman 3
  • Rayman Forever
  • Rayman Legends
  • Rayman Origins
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Silent Hunter 2
  • Silent Hunter 3
  • Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific - Gold Edition
  • Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic - Gold Edition
  • South Park: The Fractured but Whole - Gold Edition
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth - Standard Edition
  • Speed Buster
  • Starlink - Digital Deluxe Starter Kit
  • Steep - X Games Gold Edition*
  • The Crew - Ultimate Edition*
  • The Crew 2 - Gold Edition*
  • The Settlers 1 - History Edition
  • The Settlers 2 - History Edition
  • The Settlers 3 - History Edition
  • The Settlers 4 - History Edition
  • The Settlers 5: Heritage of the Kings - History Edition
  • The Settlers 6: Rise of an Empire - History Edition
  • The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - History Edition
  • Tom Clancy's EndWar
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier - Deluxe Edition
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands – Ultimate Edition*
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint - Gold Edition (coming soon)
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six - Standard Edition
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 - Gold Edition
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege – Ultimate Year Four Edition*
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas II
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Quarantine (coming soon)
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - Deluxe Edition
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - Deluxe Edition
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
  • Tom Clancy's The Division - Gold Edition
  • Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - Ultimate Edition
  • Trackmania Turbo
  • Transference - Uplay
  • Trials Evolution - Gold Edition
  • Trials Fusion - Standard Edition
  • Trials Rising - Gold Edition
  • Uno
  • Valiant Hearts
  • Warlords Battlecry
  • Warlords Battlecry 2
  • Watch_Dogs - Complete Edition
  • Watch_Dogs 2 - Gold Edition
  • Watch_Dogs Legion Ultimate Edition* (coming soon)
  • World In Conflict - Complete Edition
  • Zombi

Some games are missing.

Splinter Cell Conviction was easily one of the very best games I played during the 360 generation, and I never did get around to Blacklist. Would welcome a chance to finally get to it.

Jigga117

And I still wouldn't pay a monthly fee for just EA games either. But, that's still better than Ubisoft games.
Who cares if you don’t want to pay for it that wasn’t what I quoted. Your trying to say you can’t imagine when history shows people DID buy EA Access before it was implemented into Gamepass. People said the same BS before and history is repeating itself. People WILL buy this.

Last edited:
Who cares if you don’t want to pay for it that wasn’t what I quoted. Your trying to say you can’t imagine when history shows people DID buy EA Access before it was implemented into Gamepass. People said the same BS before and history is repeating itself. People WILL buy this.
If EA was selling well enough by itself, why would they take Microsoft's money to roll into GamePass? Surely, they would have made more keeping all those subscriptions for themselves.

The answer is obvious. It didn't. And hopefully Ubisoft won't either and will have to either roll into GP or shut down.

Last edited:
If EA was selling well enough by itself, why would they take Microsoft's money to roll into GamePass? Surely, they would have made more keeping all those subscriptions for themselves.

The answer is obvious. It didn't. And hopefully Ubisoft won't either and will have to either roll into GP or shut down.
Facts just like EA Play shut down on Playstation.

DaGwaphics

We don't even know the pricing for this Ubisoft subscription, so how can you decide whether it will succeed or not?

Hard to compare Ubi+ to EA Play as they stand now, a $30/yr subscription vs. $180, older games vs. day one. EA Play is a good value and must be successful in EA's eyes otherwise they would not have kept it going for 7+ years.

Threads where sub services, especially GamePass, are discussed are such a shit show. There's almost no info in this thread at all and we're now discussing whether games on these services that you pay for are "free" (a weird semantics argument where people just talk past one another), and now you don't own stuff because you might, like, not in.... the....future? Or something?

What?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sorry for the bump, just saw someone highlight on Reddit that this was announced 11 months ago and still nothing? Very strange that they’d announce it in the first place.

anthony2690

Banned
Sorry for the bump, just saw someone highlight on Reddit that this was announced 11 months ago and still nothing? Very strange that they’d announce it in the first place.
Probably realised it wasn't worth the effort and easier to take £ from Microsoft per game they add.

They have quite a few games on game pass already.

& I doubt many are really going to subscribe for the upcoming skull and bones.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ubisoft+ was announced for Xbox consoles this time last year, and since then, we haven't heard much about it. Now, it looks like Ubisoft and Xbox could be gearing up to launch the subscription service as a selection of games from the publisher have been updated with a special Ubisoft+ tag that reads "with your Ubisoft+ membership" on the Microsoft Store's back end.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Ubisoft+ was announced for Xbox consoles this time last year, and since then, we haven't heard much about it. Now, it looks like Ubisoft and Xbox could be gearing up to launch the subscription service as a selection of games from the publisher have been updated with a special Ubisoft+ tag that reads "with your Ubisoft+ membership" on the Microsoft Store's back end.
Fucking finally I don't know why it took so long ...Maybe ubisoft having some sales troubles and cancelling games had their mind ans task force on smth else.

IntentionalPun

Fucking finally I don't know why it took so long ...Maybe ubisoft having some sales troubles and cancelling games had their mind ans task force on smth else.
It's not some automatic thing for MS and Ubisoft to even agree on HOW they will integrate, let alone then go start and do that project.

Sign an agreement.. and then it can take weeks or even months to start at times, as you have to create teams, hire consultants,etc.e,tc.

Only minimal design work would be done before agreement.. like high level architecture stuff.

Ubisoft might have made that OG statement RIGHT after signing a deal.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's not some automatic thing for MS and Ubisoft to even agree on HOW they will integrate, let alone then go start and do that project.

Sign an agreement.. and then it can take weeks or even months to start at times, as you have to create teams, hire consultants,etc.e,tc.

Only minimal design work would be done before agreement.. like high level architecture stuff.

Ubisoft might have made that OG statement RIGHT after signing a deal.
it was probably annunced way too soon then, maybe the thread title was a bit misleading then.

This seems like the wrong time to release this, if it’s the full product. Ubisoft had their poorest lineup of holiday titles for a long time - a service like this is built on new releases, not a back catalogue (especially one that is always on heavy sale). They’ve not really had anything big out for a while, and don’t have anything big imminent (that I can recall) so if they try to launch a $15 a month + iteration I don’t see there being many takers right now?

Hopefully it’s something new/more innovative.

Top Bottom