• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms there will be no Assassin's Creed in 2016

Quentyn

It’s an exciting time for Assassin’s Creed.

We’re only a few months removed from the debut of Jacob and Evie Frye, the stars of Assassin’s Creed Syndicate. We’re proud of the talented team in Quebec City, and all of our studios around that world that took part in bringing the Victorian London adventures of our twin Assassins to life. We truly hope you enjoy playing Assassin’s Creed Syndicate as much as our studios enjoyed making it.

Also, we recently unveiled the first images of Academy Award nominee Michael Fassbender in action as our lead Assassin in the upcoming Assassin’s Creed movie that hits theaters on December 21, 2016. Having already visited the set, we can’t begin to describe how surreal and exciting it is to walk the real-world halls of Abstergo, or see the intricate replicas of Assassin weaponry. We have an outstanding cast and crew that want to honor the rich lore of Assassin’s Creed and bring a fresh perspective to the ongoing battle between Assassins and Templars that’s fit for the big screen.

This year, we also are stepping back and re-examining the Assassin’s Creed franchise. As a result, we’ve decided that there will not be a new Assassin’s Creed game in 2016. Since the release of Assassin’s Creed Unity, we’ve learned a lot based on your feedback. We’ve also updated our development processes and recommitted to making Assassin’s Creed a premier open-world franchise. We’re taking this year to evolve the game mechanics and to make sure we’re delivering on the promise of Assassin’s Creed offering unique and memorable gameplay experiences that make history everyone’s playground.

We’ll have more to share on all of the above soon. In the meantime, we want to say thank you to our millions of fans around the world for your continued support.

http://blog.ubi.com/a-message-from-the-assassins-creed-team/

Good. Give that franchise some breathing room.
tumblr_inline_ncxluuUk1C1s3vxgv.gif

Good. As much as I loved Syndicate the franchise needs a break and some hefty updates and changes. Skipping a year to truly deliver an updated and refreshing experience is the smart move.

chadskin

Watch_Dogs sequel confirmed in their financials press release:

Initial targets for 2016-17

In 2016-17 the Company expects to achieve sales of around €1,700 million, non-IFRS operating income of approximately €230 million and strong free cash flow generation. Ubisoft will launch a very high-quality line-up, including For Honor ® , South ParkTM the Fractured but WholeTM, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon ® WildLands, the next instalment of Watchdogs ® , and a new high-potential AAA brand with strong digital live services. Growth also will be driven by further increases in revenues for the digital segment and the back catalog.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We’ll have more to share on all of the above soon. In the meantime, we want to say thank you to our millions of fans around the world for your continued support.
Hmm, wonder if they intend to do a more "open development" structure on this one with early feedback.

Liamario

Banned
This year, we also are stepping back and re-examining the Assassin’s Creed franchise. As a result, we’ve decided that there will not be a new Assassin’s Creed game in 2016. Since the release of Assassin’s Creed Unity, we’ve learned a lot based on your feedback. We’ve also updated our development processes and recommitted to making Assassin’s Creed a premier open-world franchise. We’re taking this year to evolve the game mechanics and to make sure we’re delivering on the promise of Assassin’s Creed offering unique and memorable gameplay experiences that make history everyone’s playground.

I'm not sure if they've learned anything. The series needs an extended hiatus. Two years isn't enough.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They should bring it back with a soft reboot, maybe something like Days of Future Past. Also they are gonna have to move the release date of the film, it's only a week after Star Wars.

DKHF

Best decision for the franchise. Hopefully AC 2017 is significantly better with an extra year of development time and can bring me back to the franchise.

Good. Syndicate was burned really badly by being hot off the heels of Unity. Not giving time to recover probably would have killed the franchise (and maybe even affected the movie's potential).

Isn't the film dropping soon?

Wouldn't put it past them to meet halfway and have a game in March 2017. Though if they genuinely have no new AC until next holiday I'll be impressed.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, this sucks as I was looking forward to the next AC game especially since it's being developed by the team that developed Black Flag. Oh well. At least I still have Far Cry Primal and Division soon. :)

EoinOL

It says no "new" Assassins Creed game. That still leaves open the possibility of something like a compilation or a PS4/Xbox One port of Rogue.

RowdyReverb

Good for them. Even as a fan of the series, AC fatigue has set in. Franchise could really use the year off to come up with some fresh ideas.

This would be a good year for an AC: Rogue port to current gen though, just saying

Cardon

Makes sense and it's good to see Ubi finally do this. Just wonder if by "new" that could mean a supposed AC remaster could still come out and simply not qualify as being new since it technically isn't.

Yoday

I understand why they are doing it and agree that it will be for the best in the long run, but I'm still sad that there won't be a new one this year.

Top Bottom