• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Developer conference for Wii U. First look at Wii U games in development.

Iwatas Magic Sports Coat said:
Really not digging Killer Freaks control scheme. Looks tiring & not accurate at all.

can't really judge it know how early the game is and also yeah I would not be playing standing up I would need a swivel chair :)

can can also give other modes of control they have all the buttons they need

EDarkness

Exuro said:
Sweet, the direct link download got interrupted so I'll wait for this to finish processing.

Mine stopped around the 50 minute mark and won't start up again for some reason. I figured I'd download it and watch it on my Apple TV.

guek

Banned
Medalion said:
If you saw Geoff's interview with Reggie, you can tell he has some sorta axe to grind with Ninendo.

I really don't think so. People on this board seem to love to project their own personal thoughts onto pretty much whatever they see. Geoff has had a pretty good history with nintendo and with reggie in particular in the past. He asked tough questions, yes, but only because they were the right questions to be asking. In essence, he was doing his job. Maybe he's pleased with what nintendo has been doing lately, maybe he's annoyed, but his professionalism generally does a good job of keeping any of that from spilling over into his interviews.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Medalion said:
If you saw Geoff's interview with Reggie, you can tell he has some sorta axe to grind with Ninendo.

I would NOT have liked to meet Reggie directly after that interview. It wouldn't have surprised me if Reggie just stood up and leave the interview.

guek

Banned
Effect said:
Facial expressions and body language can tell you a lot.

Or they can tell you absolutely nothing. It's silly to think that you're some kind of master of emotion decryption. He's literally just sitting there. He doesn't look super tired. He's not scowling. He's not frowning. He's not smiling. He doesn't look confused. His brow is not furled. He is just sitting there. If anything, it looks like the speaker has his full attention. ZOMG. Geoff is paying attention! HE'S SUPER HYPED OMFG

EDarkness

guek said:
I really don't think so. People on this board seem to love to project their own personal thoughts onto pretty much whatever they see. Geoff has had a pretty good history with nintendo and with reggie in particular in the past. He asked tough questions, yes, but only because they were the right questions to be asking. In essence, he was doing his job. Maybe he's pleased with what nintendo has been doing lately, maybe he's annoyed, but his professionalism generally does a good job of keeping any of that from spilling over into his interviews.

I don't know why people keep saying that. He was horrible during Blizzcon last year. It just seemed like he'd rather be anywhere than there and it came across as unprofessional. I haven't watched the interview with Reggie, so I can't comment on that. Just my overall impression of him based on other things I've seen him do.

Edit: He has that same "I'm bored out of my mind, and rather be somewhere else" look on his face in that pic. Doesn't surprise me, honestly.

EDarkness

Medalion said:
I cannot download this video after multiple tries... and I am on a 100Mbps download connection, this is ridonkulus

Does the download just stop for some reason? I've tried to get the video, but it seems to die between 480-550MB. Not sure why I can't grab it all.

J-Rock

Banned
Ghost Recon has potential. I like some of the touch screen ideas and online features. Interested.

Killer Freaks has more potential than I thought it would. Seems to be like Left 4 Dead(4player Co-op) but with a goofy scifi theme. And the idea of having an actual human play as "The Director"(ie: Left 4 Dead) could make for an interesting experience. Control wise, that gyro control had an arcady virtual word vibe that might be fun. Classic controller support is good though. Seems like there will be multiple control options for those that may not be interested in moving around too much.

Wish they could have shown something from AC but I understand everything is still super early in development. That's also why I'm not taking the graphics too serious yet. I hope they reveal the other two games they are developing soon.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ghost Recon Online looks pretty nice. Killer Freaks looks awkward to control with the Gyroscope. Did they talk about Dual Analog control for Killer Freaks?

Exuro

BY2K said:
Ghost Recon Online looks pretty nice. Killer Freaks looks awkward to control with the Gyroscope. Did they talk about Dual Analog control for Killer Freaks?
The multiplayer mode has a guy playing in FPS mode with a CC.

Effect

EDarkness said:
I don't know why people keep saying that. He was horrible during Blizzcon last year. It just seemed like he'd rather be anywhere than there and it came across as unprofessional. I haven't watched the interview with Reggie, so I can't comment on that. Just my overall impression of him based on other things I've seen him do.

Edit: He has that same "I'm bored out of my mind, and rather be somewhere else" look on his face in that pic. Doesn't surprise me, honestly.

Exactly. It's not hard to determine these things. If one is around enough people over the years you see these expressions all the time. As for "professionalism" that guek claims. Not a word I'd used to describe Keighley at all.

Formless

BY2K said:
They have it for the classic controller at least. Different control schemes available.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
guek said:
not sure if serious...
No, you could hear it in his voice. He was either wondering why he was there or dead fucking tired. Both are plausible (since reactions were sort of muted from everyone), but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd probably be tired out of my mind too.

Anyway, that's a strong showing. I really liked what they were doing with the GRO demo. Alot of interesting stuff there, though I'm concerned about the play model. I really do hope they do a full retail release and not the typical F2P microtransaction BS. Cross-play with PC would be really cool though. I also really really really wish they would have shown at least some demo footage of the prototypes behind the Assassin's Creed games, but the guy's reaction when he was asked if ACWiiU was a port or not basically screamed "OH GOD, IT'S A PORT, BUT I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY". That's fine though, an AC 2 trilogy collection would be a solid title on the console for launch to complement AC3.

BY2K said:

Yeah the gyroscope control looks terrible at this time.

EDarkness

comedy bomb said:
Yeah the gyroscope control looks terrible at this time.

They still have a lot of time to work out the kinks. I just hope that someone on their site goes into adding IR, because that would be must better. Heh, I've said that like a bunch of times already.

Therion

Kandinsky said:
KF doesnt look bad at all and seeing is so early in development I have high hopes for the final product.
That demo looked surprisingly good, considering the atrocious screens they decided to release.

mr.beers

nincompoop said:
PbPhZ.png

LOL @ Facepalm Guy (59:03 btw)

Looks like Michael Pachter

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
That last shot of the first demo of Killer Freaks where he looks out of the hole in the wall and sees the giant robot thing looked really nice. The fog and lighting there is impressive. As for the rest of it, you can tell it's super early. Looks like most things don't even have full textures yet, outside of the freaks anyway.

basik

THANK YOU UBISOFT for attempting new FPS controls. I dread the thought of being stuck with dual analogue.

for ghost recon I want to use wiimote/nunchuck and I'd just pick the touch screen up when needed.

EDarkness

basik said:
THANK YOU UBISOFT for attempting new FPS controls. I dread the thought of being stuck with dual analogue.

for ghost recon I want to use wiimote/nunchuck and I'd just pick the touch screen up when needed.

If they have a stand for the WiiPad then you can prop it up on that and then use the remote and nunchuck. That would be awesome.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
it makes sense to have a new motion experience with the new controller, but i can't see me using it to look at things to my side or use it exclusively for fps aim

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Therion said:
That demo looked surprisingly good, considering the atrocious screens they decided to release.
Honestly, for the scenes they were showing, those screens were perfectly representative of the game demos they had there. But this thing was clearly meant as a proof of concept rather than technical ability. We'll see later down the line when they fill it out. I just really want to see how everything else is coming along. I would MURDER for a good BF3 or at least Frostbyte 2 tech demo on the console...

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
DeathNote said:
it makes sense to have a new motion experience with the new controller, but i can't see me using it to look at things to my side or use it exclusively for fps aim

Let's be honest, you wouldn't use the WiiU if it printed $100 bills. I think you've made that pretty clear that this point.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Controlling KF look like something right out of the future (circa 1989). And I won't lie, it looks like a lot of fun. Ubisoft gets a lot of hate but they do try a lot crazy shit from time to time and I hope this one pays off.

-Minsc-

Internet forum children: Those controls look awkward, give me dual-analog.

Adults like me: Has promise. I look forward using the refined and perfected controls.

evangd007

-Minsc- said:
Internet forum children: Those controls look awkward, give me dual-analog.

Adults like me: Has promise. I look forward using the refined and perfected controls.

Precisely. The presenter also said that the demo used both sticks and the gyro, so one could use motions for fine aiming and the stick for larger, sweeping, deliberate turning. The motions also appear as if they take some getting used to. I do hope they allow for independent horizontal and vertical sensitivity; vertical sensitivity in the demo appeared way too high.

Medalion

Banned
WinoMcCougarstein said:
Let's be honest, you wouldn't use the WiiU if it printed $100 bills. I think you've made that pretty clear that this point.
Give the man some credit... I'm sure he'd print the $100 bills first

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They mention the gyro controls can be 1:1 during the Killer Freaks demonstration, specifying that if you move it 45 degrees, it will shift the in game view by that many degrees too. That can only mean it's a more precise implementation than Motion Plus which could be tricked and had drift, which the gameplay has to compensate for allowing it to recalibrate at frequent intervals or manually. This doesn't even have a camera facing a static point to recalibrate itself with yet it's 1:1. That's not so great for FPS games like they demonstrated of course, I think that will take a VERY particular type of immersion based and likely single player or co-op FPS to work out with people wanting to use it rather than hate it because it's not as fast as pointing or whatever else, but it could certainly work for other ideas people have had, like Endless Ocean or Fatal Frame which can combine it with standard controls and may only require that movement for specific gameplay aspects (photography, basically, though in Endless Ocean I'd also love to use it as the primary control method, to feel like I'm controlling some high tech RC sub robot or something and be fully immersed in this underwater world, with the TV off at that.

Top Bottom