• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft engineer teasing next Prince of Perisa game?

Did we ever find out what this game was?

bfwHkAK.jpg

As far as I recall it was a Ubi next-gen game that had some leaked images. Is this the game CBOAT might have been talking about last year?

Also, CLIMAX (who made the Silent Hill Origins and Shattered Memories) has a neat PoP-inspired game supposedly coming to the PS4, X1, and WiiU that was announced last year.

Fxn1va8.jpg

mAbuaVd.jpg

B.O.O.M

What didn't you like about the gameplay? I enjoyed the parkour better than in the Sands of Time trilogy, and I was glad they had Elika grab you if you fell, because I can't tell you how many times I died in Sands of Time and heard "No no no, that's not how the story ended!" and had to wait for my game to reload.

Well death SHOULD be part of the game. Eika grabbing and helping me was really annoying to me. And the combat felt weaker than the sands of time trilogy as well.

I do like the art style and the visuals...boss battles were ok too I guess. But combat and no death nonsense needs to go. It takes the fun and challenge out of the game for me personally. My least favorite game of the franchise since the sands of time trilogy started (didn't play forgotten sands)

There must be a new PoP game in the works, as there has simply been too much smoke on this one. I don't think Ubi would divert a lot of resources when AC is their priority for action-adventures, so a new 2D or 2.5D game is the best bet.

Why does he mention Ubisoft Reflections though? They've only got experience with driving games over the past 15 years or so, which would make them an odd choice for a 2D platform adventure.

Talon

What didn't you like about the gameplay? I enjoyed the parkour better than in the Sands of Time trilogy, and I was glad they had Elika grab you if you fell, because I can't tell you how many times I died in Sands of Time and heard "No no no, that's not how the story ended!" and had to wait for my game to reload.
I'll answer this from the perspective of someone that liked PoP2008 - the gameplay was way too prescriptive. Not even easy. Prescriptive.

I make the distinction there because I think "easy" doesn't really encompass the issue with it. The fact that you have actual scratches on the walls that tell you in what range you need to press the action button or the four panels that tell you exactly how you will be navigating from A to B really made the sense of exploration suffer.

Case-in-point, when you get the wall-crawling panel, you're just focused on pac manning your way through the puzzle rather than actually enjoying the vistas. A good platform blends the gameplay and the vistas together into one piece. In PoP 2008's case, they seemed like two completely separate entities.

"Look at these beautiful environments! Now follow all the green lights in exactly one way."

The insta-revive mechanic on the other hand, is not an issue. All it did was save you time, and I think the reviews at the time really got away from really describing the flaws by jumping on that.

Like I said in my earlier post, I really, really wanted Ubisoft to elaborate on this game with a sequel, but it seems we won't get that chance. :|

bfwHkAK.jpg

As far as I recall it was a Ubi next-gen game that had some leaked images. Is this the game CBOAT might have been talking about last year?

That's Project Osiris, a somewhat PoP reboot'ish thing. Was supposed to have been revealed previous year, but pretty sure that game was canned, and if I remember correctly even Ubisoft confirmed it's not happening.

The cboat game was concluded to be the Halo trailer.

loved the characters and story of POP 2008. gameplay wise i actually prefer Sands of time though even though it's the oldest it still has the best design imo. sands of time design + POP 2008 characters would be so nice

CamHostage

Also, CLIMAX (who made the Silent Hill Origins and Shattered Memories) has a neat PoP-inspired game supposedly coming to the PS4, X1, and WiiU that was announced last year.

Fxn1va8.jpg

mAbuaVd.jpg

To be clear, I don't think that Climax project was "announced"? The Videogamer story makes it out to be a title you can put on your calendars, but I believe it was just a concept project, which all developers do but don't usually talk about, Climax does showcase its test concepts on its website (but the PoP'alike has since been removed, so either it's no longer a biddable concept and the team moved on or the project has been snapped up and the publisher does not want those images anymore; it'd be very interesting to know which case it is.)

Why does he mention Ubisoft Reflections though? They've only got experience with driving games over the past 15 years or so, which would make them an odd choice for a 2D platform adventure.

Well, A) not all developers enjoy being pidgeonholed into one genre and appreciate the opportunity to stretch their muscles into other gaming types, sometimes they surprise you even with great work in genres outside their standard bag of tricks, B) the people who started with Reflections back on Driver 1 are not necessarily the people staffing it now and the consoles and engine they're working on are wildly different too, everything has changed and developers may choose to change as well, especially when their genre of expertise has waned in popularity, C) the Driver games have had some on-foot sequences, though those have not exactly been calling cards, and perhaps most or least importantly, Reflections was many, many years ago an Amiga-focused studio and it made a little game called Shadow of The Beast (in the same year that the original PoP was made, by the way.)

DirtyLarry

Well IIRC a couple days ago they were rumored to be doing a new 2D game with the UbiArt Framework (Rayman Legends/Child of Light engine).
I did hear this rumor until now, that would be absolutely kick ass. Especially if they worked what I feel to be the superior time mechanics of The Sands Of Time

To be clear, I don't think that Climax project was "announced"? The Videogamer story makes it out to be a title you can put on your calendars, but I believe it was just a concept project, which all developers do but don't usually talk about, Climax does showcase its test concepts on its website (but the PoP'alike has since been removed, so either it's no longer a biddable concept and the team moved on or the project has been snapped up and the publisher does not want those images anymore; it'd be very interesting to know which case it is.)

Hype check, coming through. Went ahead and found some info on this before anyone got too hopeful about it.

Thanks for the info, fellas.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

bfwHkAK.jpg

That's Osiris, a canceled project that they might have harvested some ideas from for a future Assassin's Creed.

Basically it was like Shadow of the Colossus x Assassin's Creed in Ancient Egypt, but it wasn't immediately coming together great and Ubisoft as a whole doesn't feel really comfortable with "fantastical" games at the AAA level.

What I mean by that last part is they want things like Tom Clancy and Assassin's Creed where the game is largely grounded in reality and there aren't heavy sci-fi or fantasy type elements like giant monsters or space aliens, which are reserved for their digital offerings instead, because they feel something more realistic resonates with a larger audience. Obviously they're still fine with fictional elements like the Animus, but it sends you back to an otherwise realistic historical setting if this makes sense.

But yeah given they reuse a concept art piece from that in AC4, it's possible they will make a regular ass Assassin's Creed game in Egypt with that guy where there aren't giant monsters or things like that anymore.

Top Bottom