• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Feudal Japan is a possible setting for future Assassin's Creed games

keuja

The japan settings have been done to death but can't help being a bit excited at a Ninja assassins creed.
Imagine the stealth assault of a feudal japanese castle with a bunch of fellow Ninjas, staying in the shadow, armed with Shuriken and grappling hook, trying to get to the Shogun.
Also, potential for some crazy weapons, Blade of the Immortal style.

The japan settings have been done to death but can't help being a bit excited at a Ninja assassins creed.
Imagine the stealth assault of a feudal japanese castle with a bunch of fellow Ninjas, staying in the shadow, armed with Shuriken and grappling hook, trying to get to the Shogun.
Also, potential for some crazy weapons, Blade of the Immortal style.

Actually, we said that about Pirates, but we never really had any good nor recent pirate adventure game and AC IV proved itself to be really good.

We haven't got any Tenchu in a while. Even if we get yakuza ishin, it's a really different gameplay and experience than AC... So I'm down for AC in Japan as long as it's as good as AC IV

BanGy.nz

Banned
Thats nice and all but for the love of god please overhaul the mission structure. A new setting won't make them more fun so please do something about that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm guessing they'll pull a The Last Samurai and make the subject caucasian getting stranded there by boat. And that the game will alternate between Templar China and Assassin Japan so they can expand the naval gameplay.

Honestly, if you played as a dutch sailor, I wouldn't even be mad. Especially if you were a Dutch sailor unwittingly sailing with templars, and you find out about assassins operating from a ninja village.

I hope the character is full blooded Japanese, or atleast Asian. I really dislike when movies/games are set in another part of the world and the Great White Savior' comes in and out Samurai's the greatest of samurai's with months of training.

Lets be real though, if they go japan, its gonna be some keanu reeves character :p

Shun

No thanks, they're probably gonna fill it with stereotypes, historical and cultural inaccuracies, and bastardizations.

I'd much rather have the one set in China or just have the Assassin's Creed series get retired.

Wolff

I love the setting but would not buy another Assassin's Creed because of it. 3 and 4 were so terrible in all aspects to me that not even an awesome setting will convince me to get it.

Sorry, but i had enough of this series and don't trust them. I'd rather see a new Tenchu like game, but that series is dead unfortunately.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Lets be real though, if they go japan, its gonna be some keanu reeves character :p

47 Ronin was unequivacobly terrible, but they actually really like The Last Samurai here in Japan.

Yeah it takes liberties but in terms of setting, costume and actors etc, it's pretty good.

They can do whatever they want with the next AC game, but if it's Japan I pray that one of the chief characters is a hilarious, drunk, womanising Iberian missionary that wouldn't seem out of place as an oddball character in a GTA game.

Eden, yeah.

edenl6rbi.png

I think an Assassin's Creed unburdened by actual history might be just what a game needs to really mix things up

Then what you want is not Assassin's Creed. And that's fine, but look for it in another series, maybe. The historical aspects of Assassin's Creed are what make the series distinct.

Rflagg

Yes, I want them to split the pirate formula off into it's own series. As it's so damn good that it deserves it.

I would buy more, I am playing the heck out of black flag and enjoying every minute. As for other settings, I really don't know enough about history to say what would work well with the assassin's creed formula.

While I sympathize with those who like climbing high buildings, there's nothing to say that the Assassin/Templar conflict couldn't take place in places with little to none of that--among the Mongol hordes, for example.

Ubi has shown a willingness to both adopt new systems (the brotherhood, hunting, sailing) and abandon old ones (the brotherhood, investigations, bomb crafting). I don't think the height of buildings matters one bit to their choice of settings, and judging by most people's reception of the British colonies and the Caribbean, that seems obvious. I find the tree/cliff climbing in 3 and 4 a fine substitiute, myself.

Skeff

In Black Flag, Abstergo entertainment say they would like to research Desmonds maternal line which seemingly is in Feudal Japan as well as Egypt(can't remember time period).

To quote the wiki here:

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Desmond_Miles

The Auditore and Kenway families eventually intertwined, becoming Desmond's paternal line that passed from William to his son. Other known matrilineal ancestors hailed from a variety of places and eras, including the Ashikaga Shogunate in feudal Japan; 1800's France, in the midst of the Revolution and later during the Napoleonic Wars; 1800's Taiwan and the Sino-French War; and as recently as the Civil Rights and Peace movements on the American Pacific Coast in the 1960's. All of these were detailed in an internal email sent between high-ranking members of the Abstergo Entertainment development team.

So those would be the most likely places to see the next games. After all they also talked about ctOS and Chicago in black flag and we already know that's happening sometime this year.

No, I am sure I want Assassin's Creed. Thanks for your opinion though :)

I have a Shane Bettenhausen quote around here somewhere for you...

Really, though, you like the collect-a-thons, simplistic combat, and wonky climbing enough to find it all still bearable in a whole-cloth fabricated sci-fi generi-city?

I mean, I love AC more than the next guy, but minus its historical charms, it's a mess. And there are scores of fantastical games out there as is; you'd advocate losing the most relatable, interesting aspect of AC? For what? Some faux-Greek techno-Utopia? I mean, if you're pitching Bioshock 4, sure, but not AC.

Sober

While I sympathize with those who like climbing high buildings, there's nothing to say that the Assassin/Templar conflict couldn't take place in places with little to none of that--among the Mongol hordes, for example.

Ubi has shown a willingness to both adopt new systems (the brotherhood, hunting, sailing) and abandon old ones (the brotherhood, investigations, bomb crafting). I don't think the height of buildings matters one bit to their choice of settings, and judging by most people's reception of the British colonies and the Caribbean, that seems obvious. I find the tree/cliff climbing in 3 and 4 a fine substitiute, myself.
I personally don't think the climbing in 3 or 4 is a big deal but I didn't like that it was so automatic, if you see my previous post. Especially compared to 2/Bro/Rev where you had to kinda put some work into scaling something, either by having to jump and catch ledges too far to climb or using the hookblade, etc. I don't mind the loss of slow/fast climbing speeds, but honestly you can pretty much climb building no challenge in 3 and 4 because any large gaps between ledges is automatically cleared, which removes half the fun in scaling any tower, even if it is just a small cathedral.

As something of a tease, Guesdon added, “Feudal Japan remains – like numerous other time periods and locations – a possible future setting for the franchise because thanks to the Animus. The entire human history is our playground.”
I'd love Feudal Japan as a setting, not because of the animus but in spite of it.

I'm pretty sure its all the Assassins that'll make that an interesting setting for this series in particular. Weaving it all together to the modern world via genetic memories of specific test subjects is completely extraneous.

ShinMaruku

I hope one way of assassinating is making a samurai fall off his horse. (The First Shogun in Japan died that way and several others have died the same exact way)

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Much rather see a TENCHU, on the scale of Assassin's Creed but with the depth and unforgiving nature of Demon/Dark souls. Can I get an amen...?

Instead of a pirate boat can we have a Monkey magic carpet to upgrade ?

Monkey Magic Assasins Creed, you can send the cheque in the mail :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
has anyone finished AC4? Any hints at the end like the previous games?

Black Flag gets pretty meta. I think the only thing that's hinted is that they essentially believe that the sky is the limit in terms of settings. There's literally a chain of e-mails where Abstergo employees are brainstorming what the setting of their next game should be.

You can fully expect that they will pick any sort of setting that they feel comfortable with. This series is going to stick around for a long time.

nacimento

Feudal Japan would be ok.

I'd personally prefer gold rush era California/Wild West but that's just me.

But what are you gonna climb, a cactus?

I just hope they won't kill the series by doing some 20/21st century or futuristic setting. The historical part IS what makes the franchise special.

Personally, I'd love Egypt, Babylon/Mesopotamia, Ancient Rome/Greece, Medieval Europe or Maya/Aztecs/Incas.

spekkeh

Banned
Were there pirate ships in Feudal Japan?
They could do it from the viewpoint of a Dutchman (as they were the only ones allowed to trade with Japan, or an Englishman on a Dutch ship like William Adams), based out of Batavia in the West Indies. You'd have south east asian pirates, colonial buildings and plantations, samurai, ninjas, Dejima/Nagasaki, Edo, the shogun, wars with the Portuguese and the English. There's a tonne of stuff there to draw from.

Of course fully expect it to be an American who fights alongside the last of the samurai during the Meiji restoration.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Black Flag gets pretty meta. I think the only thing that's hinted is that they essentially believe that the sky is the limit in terms of settings. There's literally a chain of e-mails where Abstergo employees are brainstorming what the setting of their next game should be.

You can fully expect that they will pick any sort of setting that they feel comfortable with. This series is going to stick around for a long time.

Yeah, I believe they specifically mentioned feudal japan, the french revolution, the civil war, the world wars, Napoleonic Wars, 13 century egypt and africa, 19th century Taiwan and 19th century America.

The emails also mentioned the summer of love, but dismissed it as cars being too hard to recreate in the animus and being plenty covered elsewhere anyway. There was also one person asking for the next one to be more historically educational and less violent but got yelled at for it.

Personally I think the gilded age america would be a brilliant choice, both in setting and story.

MadLukas

Banned
That's why I want Eden! What's his face in AC III also said that they'd love to try to go to Eden with one of his ancestors

But imagine Eden: far more advanced than any modern city, with buildings as tall as can be. But because it's unburdened by historical context, they can go truly insane with the gameplay opportunities. Jumping on a flying car before lunging down to assassinate someone, for example

I'm surprised this idea hasn't caught on more with people :(

Its a great idea, but i think i would get a similar vibe than i had with AC4 with the prequel Stuff;i would just know how it would end. Maybe if Juno builds a new city in the future or makes her own simulation, where all humans are captured in (kinda like Saints Row 4, but serious :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The emails also mentioned the summer of love, but dismissed it as cars being too hard to recreate in the animus and being plenty covered elsewhere anyway.

I think the cars explanation was something like how highway hypnosis actually messed with the genetic memories or something, lol.

Top Bottom