• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Feudal Japan is a possible setting for future Assassin's Creed games

ive waited for this day
2rj1q.jpg

just some cool fan art

Ubisoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but Samurai and Ninjas are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become an assassin by using a Tomahawk. If you screw an assassination in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Assassins Creed V, nor will they purchase any of Ubisoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Ubisoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Ubisoft, publicly apologize and move ACV to Victorian Era London or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Seriously though, Victorian Era London or bust.

RealMeat

Banned
I rather they keep using settings that other games don't cover. It's the best thing about the series IMO. There's plenty of ninja games.

studyguy

Eh... Honestly I'd rather see another decently made Tenchu. AC gameplay would fit right into the setting I guess, but whatever... It's like announcing the next Modern Warfare will take place somewhere in the middle east. A Japanese AC sounds like a sort of a gimmie.

Amir0x

Banned
I want an AC where they let you - at least as a substantial part of the game - do classical AC gameplay in a modern setting.

Say what you will but modern day has tall buildings.

That's why I want Eden! What's his face in AC III also said that they'd love to try to go to Eden with one of his ancestors

But imagine Eden: far more advanced than any modern city, with buildings as tall as can be. But because it's unburdened by historical context, they can go truly insane with the gameplay opportunities. Jumping on a flying car before lunging down to assassinate someone, for example

I'm surprised this idea hasn't caught on more with people :(

What if the AC world is so far ahead in the future that modern day Tokyo is ancient to them?

They could flesh out the side activities, instead of hiring prostitutes you get to hire women to hold your hand and clean your ears dressed as maidens, instead of following targets and eavesdropping you have to run away and hide when real women appear in the proximity.
2 or 3 chapters will be just flashbacks from previous chapters with voice over saying: Ano toki... masaka... kare wa... shinrirarenai...

GAF game of the year confirmed.

I mean I guess they'd be going open world sailing like ACIV (even though viking ships were far more limited than what we saw in Black Sails), but the cities themselves would probably be super dull.

I think i would like an Assassin's Creed set in a memorable city again before something like that personally since it's been a bunch of AC games since we last had that, then we could return to the idea

They've dropped some hints (online polls and the like) that they're thinking of splitting the franchise. This would be the best solution imho:

A "Pirate's Creed" game set during the Viking Era (or whatever).
A traditional AC in Revolutionary France.

This way they could have their annual releases without incurring in too much franchise fatigue, since each series would have its particular strenghts.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Everywhere on earth is a potential future setting because they're going to release 2-3+ games a year every year for the next decade. This is like "Hey Ubisoft do you think there'll ever be an AC with multiple main characters that you can jump between in the same time period?" "Do you think there'll ever be a multiplayer only AC game?" "Do you think there'll ever be an AC game set in space?" "Do you think there'll ever be an AC boardgame?" "We aren't ruling anything out!"

Amir0x

Banned
They've dropped some hints (online polls and the like) that they're thinking of splitting the franchise. This would be the best solution imho:

A "Pirate's Creed" game set during the Viking Era (or whatever).
A traditional AC in Revolutionary France.

This way they could have their annual releases without incurring in too much franchise fatigue, since each series would have its particular strenghts.

think that's probably a recipe for franchise fatigue even with the distinctions between the two, but I guess I'm fine with that.

Stumpokapow said:
"Do you think there'll ever be an AC game set in space?

Hey an AC game set in a huge sprawling space station city would be rad!

Vitet

I read through all this thread but I still have one question unanswered.

What exactly is the setting Amir0x want? It's Eden?

phanphare

Banned
I will judge this game based solely on whether or not they have Ninja Turtles III references in it

I'm super serial about that too

Amir0x

Banned
I read through all this thread but I still have one question unanswered.

What exactly is the setting Amir0x want? It's Eden?

Eden, yeah.

edenl6rbi.png

I think an Assassin's Creed unburdened by actual history might be just what a game needs to really mix things up

Think about it

Sprawling canyons and deserts to explore

Pistols and lassos

Cowboys vs Indians

RDR was cool as shit. I'd love to see the team that made the best open world pirate game tackle an open world cowboy game.

Obligatory:

1689281-cowboy_assassins_creed.jpg

I've always thought a Red Dead Redemption type of Assassin creed game would be interesting as hell

I can't think of a more cliched setting for an AC game than feudal Japan. Blergh. I hope this isn't true and that they go back to time periods relatively unexplored by other games or movies. Caribbean pirates was already pushing it.

SaucyJack

I want to say "At least 3 had cities", but, really, Colonial America was aesthetically and architecturally dull. Black Flag's biggest offence is that you can count the sizeable locations on one hand and none of them comparable favourably (in terms of scope) to, say, Florence or Venice let alone Rome or Constantinople.

Agree.

If they wanted to get back to that the obvious candidates would be:

- France: Paris plus loads of viable secondary locations, in a plot line around the downfall of the Templars in the early 14th Century
- UK: Loads of flexibility around using London plus any number of secondary locations
- Austro-Hungary: pretty much any timeline between middle ages to beginning of WW1 would work using Prague, Vienna, Budapest

Amir0x

Banned
Would would you guys think about Babylon? The city itself isn't remarkable altogether, but it has legitimately heightened structures that would be interesting to scale, had canals, and had one of the Ancient Wonders of the world - the hanging gardens. To say nothing of the fabled Tower of Babel.

Does anyone else prefer large cities over sailing? I feel like everyone got so happy when AC4 was shown to have a lot of sailing, but it was honestly one of my least favorite parts of the game. I'd much rather go back to huge towns.

Amir0x

Banned
Does anyone else prefer large cities over sailing? I feel like everyone got so happy when AC4 was shown to have a lot of sailing, but it was honestly one of my least favorite parts of the game. I'd much rather go back to huge towns.

I absolutely prefer better cities to sailing. A good core city for your free running to me is central to the best AC games

I hope the character is full blooded Japanese, or atleast Asian. I really dislike when movies/games are set in another part of the world and the Great White Savior' comes in and out Samurai's the greatest of samurai's with months of training.

nib95

Banned
Please see it so! To be honest, in the Obstergo files, they actually tell you what they're planning to do with the franchise, even what DLC they've got intended. I took some screens of the email that had it in, if I can find them I'll post them!

At this point I'm getting genuinely upset that there is a series with such interesting settings and such dull gameplay. It's a damn shame but I just can't spend hours climbing towers and fighting with the really awful combat mechanics.

Ceedee

Neo Member
I would love Ninjas! What about my Jackdaw? I want to be able to use my Jackdaw and have Ninja Pirate Battles.....

Feudal Japan? Open World Tenchu? Wouldn't mind revisiting feudal Japan as there's a lot of history and figures that they can play off of from that period. Hopefully they would give the Ninjas historically correct weapons/tools.

Top Bottom