• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: For Honor SP campaign will be a "full experience", not throwaway

More of the interview here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/for-honor-dev-says-single-player-campaign-will-be-/1100-6443983/
Ubisoft's upcoming action game For Honor may have garnered a lot of attention for its multiplayer gameplay as of late, but the developer has stated that the game's single-player campaign will also be able to stand on its own as "full experience." Speaking to GameSpot during an interview in the lead-up to EB Expo 2016, creative director Jason VandenBerghe described the single-player campaign experience players can expect in For Honor.

"It's a full story campaign, a cinematic adventure where you will play as the knights first as the Warden, then you play as the Raider, then you play as the Orochi... You'll play all through three different regions; the knights' homeland, the viking homeland, and the samurai homeland. You'll go on this great adventure... We built the campaign so that if you bought the game just for that, that you would be satisfied even if you never went online and played multiplayer. It's intended to be a full experience."

For Honor's story will centre on a warlord named Apollyon, a character who VandenBerghe described as "pro-war" and "interested in chaos." The story pits the three central factions against each other in a conflict that has been waged over a long period of time.

Zukkoyaki

You weren't supposed to say that Ubisoft because now I need to buy this along with 3478 other games in February -_-

Interest went waaaaay up. Shame I just don't have time to play it this fall, too many games on backlog.

Good thing it comes out in February then ;).

More seriously, this is the same that has been said since E3, pretty sure it is just to try to get more people on board by reminding media to talk about the campaign.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They have said this for a while now but this is the most info we've gotten. Good to hear confirmation though and some details. I can't wait as I think the game looks great all around. I'm not expecting much from the story or characters but if the can actually do well with that, just icing on the cake.

Onaco

I was playing this at PSX 2015. I have to say, I'm not sure if I liked the fact that the creators of the game were coaching both teams on what to do (it was 5v5, I think??) or if it was genuinely a fun game on its own. I would say it's a mix of both.

The combat is a bit like Skyward Sword (without wiggle waggle). You have to really get into your opponent's head, as the direction of your blade can be your defense or your offense in less than a second. Puts you on edge and feels so satisfying. Our team managed to get a win out of the match, and I left with curiosity on how the game will function at launch. Glad Ubisoft took a few months to not get hit by every other team-based game this year still has to offer.

luffeN

Apart from shooters, I always want to play the campaign first to get a feel for the game and mechanics without getting owned left and right. Consider this game bought!

344f148238488166e812cae596a2217438e87396929acf3ec0df24ebcc6262dc.jpg

Kinyou

The footage that they've shown of the SP so far looked nice, but I'm not sure if it would be satisfying if you bought the game just for that. Compared to other SP games it doesn't seem to offer much gameplay diversity.

It will certainly make a nice extra to the MP though.

Jamesways

The closed alpha was an absolute blast. And I'm a SP guy mostly.

I also want to remind people who don't like MP online that every mode has AI bots. And they are no pushovers.

Man I can't wait for this game.

Good thing it comes out in February then ;).

More seriously, this is the same that has been said since E3, pretty sure it is just to try to get more people on board by reminding media to talk about the campaign.

Yup, it's a good idea. My interest went up at E3 thanks to that since I mainly play single-player stuff. This is good news.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Yes because them saying the single player is a throwaway is a totally realistic and sane thing to do if it was.

w0s

If it is moving through areas and not just do this on this map and do that on that map I am all in. This definitely has me interested!

AudioEppa

The reason I was interested in this game was because of single player lol

My online time goes to rocket league and cod. FH will be a good rent in feb.

I'm not sure I can take their word for it, I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a SP campaign from Ubisoft, I really can't.
Also from the footage shown so far, I'm unable to see any story or development going on.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm not sure I can take their word for it, I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a SP campaign from Ubisoft, I really can't.
Also from the footage shown so far, I'm unable to see any story or development going on.

It doesn't even have any unique characters! Just generic classes with their faces covered!

Zyrox

I'm already definitely buying this for the MP alone. The Alpha blew me away. But a nice singleplayer is a nice icing on this cake.

LifEndz

Cool. Hopefully after I finish the single player campaign I'll be competent enough to hold my own in multiplayer. Looking forward to teaming up with Gaffers and wreaking havoc.

Kid Heart

I'll bump because most people don't seem to know this has a campaign.

I sure as heck didn't until I saw this thread today.

That's pretty cool though. I was already sold on the multiplayer, but I'm down for a single player campaign given it does indeed receive some proper attention.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Strange people are getting it for singleplayer, but I guess MKX proves you can have a fun fighting game story mode.

For me personally, it's all about the single player campaigns. Three different campaigns with three different characters in three different regions??? Hell yeah. If each campaign hits the 8-12 hour mark and is 24-36 hours total, that would be awesome. Have no interest in multi-player whatsoever.

For me personally, it's all about the single player campaigns. Three different campaigns with three different characters in three different regions??? Hell yeah. If each campaign hits the 8-12 hour mark and is 24-36 hours total, that would be awesome. Have no interest in multi-player whatsoever.

That's a bit ambitious- more likely each campaign would be 4-5 hours long max. Truthfully any longer than that the sum total would be too long.

Um yeah, they said all that at Gamescom...

More details about the single-player campaign in this interview: http://www.onlysp.com/for-honor-interview-request/

The main thing for me:

ONLYSP: How big do you anticipate For Honor’s campaign to be in terms of length and content?

VandenBerghe: The best way I know to answer is this way: if you pick up For Honor only for the campaign, we want you 100% satisfied with your purchase when you finally decide to put down the controller.

So that means there’s a minimum expectation on number of missions, locations, extended play, etcetera. And we’ve got all that.

How big will For Honor’s content be? As big as we can make it, man. As big as we can possibly make it.

Top Bottom