• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft has a 10 year/long-term plan for Watch Dogs

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In case you were worried about not getting more Watch Dogs, as long as it's successful, you shouldn't be.

The Guardian said:
The Guardian: Bungie has a 10-year plan for destiny – can you think in that way with Watch Dogs?

DG: Honestly that's what we're doing too. Here's the way we think about it: even if we change our minds mid-course or after shipping Watch Dogs and say 'scratch that, we'll do something else', the planning helps to make a strong core. We've all seen TV series where after a season there are a lot of mysteries; then at the start of season two you think, they didn't know what was going to happen - they're just stringing us along! You feel it! And it's the same with games. If there's a clear long-term plan, you'll have stronger characters, the universe will be more coherent. So when you have the luxury of creating a new brand - which is happening less and less in this industry, you need to do just that. We've been doing the same thing Bungie has been doing – we're trying to see how our characters and world will evolve. That's always in the back of our heads.

The Guardian: Are we heading toward an era where all games are essentially platforms, where there are no sequels, just continuous updates?

DG: I Think gamers will decide - I don't think developers will impose that model on players. But clearly what we're trying to do with Watch Dogs is be ready to go in that direction if that's what people want. In the way we build the city, our systems and our technology, we can grow the universe of Watch Dogs either in discreet sequels or in a more gradual way if that is the way the business model evolves.
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/02/watch-dogs-preview-interview

This is the problem I have with Mass Effect. They clearly didn't have a “long-term plan” and the story suffered from that. I hope more new IP will be developed with a long-term plan, it will improve coherency among series.

geebee

Banned
I hope it doesn't include yearly installments.
Seriously.. this shit right here is why I was not going to waste my time with Assassin's Creed. Probably have multiple developers around the world work on each installment, too. Would it hurt them to go with some consistency? Ugh... and I really was interested in this one. Fuck Ubi.. I will still buy Blood Dragon 2, though.. if they take more than a year to develop it.

2013: Watch Dogs
2014: Watch Dogs: Hong Kong - Where Sleeping Dogs Lie
2015: Watch Dogs II
2016: Watch Dogs II: Brotherhood
2017: Watch Dogs III: Digital Apocalypse
2018: Watch Dogs III: Claws of the C.A.T.S.
2019: Watch Dogs: Reboot
2020: Watch Dogs: Reboot II
2021: Reboot III
2022: Reboot: Reboot
2023: W.A.T.C.H. D.O.G.S.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it doesn't include yearly installments.

It does. If/when Assassin's Creed is on the decline, Watch Dogs will replace it as their main yearly "hardcore" series.

UrbanRats

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.
Assassin's Creed clearly didn't have any long term plan, in terms of writing, going by how the modern time story was put together, so it could work well for Watch Dogs.

Besides, if you thought they weren't going to turn this into a major franchise, you're insane.

2013: Watch Dogs
2015: Watch Dogs 2
2016: Watch Dogs: Brotherhood (featuring a PvP multiplayer mode)
2017: Watch Dogs: Revelations
2018: Watch Dogs III (plus Watch Dogs: Liberation for next-gen PlayStation Portable)
2019: Watch Dogs IV: Digital Lockdown
2020: Watch Dogs x Assassin's Creed

"We have a ten-year plan for Watch Dogs. That plan involves you spending money, lots of money, on more Watch Dogs content that isn't all that different from the original Watch Dogs game. Making DLC and sequel after sequel is much better business than spending ten years developing great new IPs. Did I mention that we want your money?"

Of course they do.

I'm not getting really excited until the one where the Watchdogs fight George Washington with their cell phones.

I said this as soon as they revealed it, Watch Dogs is ubisoft's next cash cow after Ass Creed. Excpect yearly installments, shitty pre-order statues, DLC up the ass and bugs galore.

Ubisoft is getting to EA levels of attempting to ruin everything they own.

Ugh.

And somehow the consumers are to blame for game sales struggling.

There's a lot of pressure for Watch_Dogs to be a big hit, despite them saying here they could just make another brand. Tons riding on this game for Ubi so it can be their next-gen AC. Most likely we'll see WD and AC games alternate holidays.

You know what they should do? At the end of Watch Dogs, Aiden Pearce should find out that a private company has been connected to all of the wrong-doers during the course of the game. The last level involves infiltrating the Sears Tower to get to some office with a computer.

As he powers up the computer, he's greeted with a login screen:

ABSTERGO INDUSTRIES
userid: ________
password: ___________

Cut to black.

Watch_Dogs

15 minute credits

Just imagine if Ubisoft had all their thousands of men and women working on unique I.P for every team they have instead of having them all work on sequels. Ubisoft's offerings would be so rich and varied they'd rival even the likes of Sony. But alas, ten WD games you shall get.

Top Bottom