• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is asking AC: Unity customers (+ families) to waive their rights to sue them.

Alienous

If you want to redeem your free Season Pass compensation game, there's a small caveat.

You hereby irrevocably and unconditionally RELEASE, WAIVE, AND FOREVER DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE Ubisoft Entertainment S.A., and each of its past, present and future divisions, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, predecessors, successors and assigns, together with all of their respective past, present and future employees, officers, shareholders, directors and agents, and those who give recommendations, directions, or instructions or engage in risk evaluation or loss control activities regarding the Campaign (all for the purposes herein referred to as “Released Parties”) FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY TO YOU, your assigns, heirs, and next of kin FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, CHARGES, LAWSUITS, DEBTS, DEFENSES, ACTIONS OR CAUSES OF ACTION, OBLIGATIONS, DAMAGES, LOSS OF SERVICE, COMPENSATION, PAIN AND SUFFERING, ATTORNEYS’ FEES, AND COST AND EXPENSES OF SUIT, KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED OR UNSUSPECTED, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE PURCHASE, ACQUISITION, RENTAL, POSSESSION AND/OR USAGE, AND/OR THE INTENT TO PURCHASE, ACQUIRE, RENT, POSSESS AND/OR USE, THE ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY VIDEO GAME AND/OR THE ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY SEASON PASS ON ANY AND ALL PLATFORMS, AND/OR RELATED TO THE CAMPAIGN, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASED PARTIES OR OTHERWISE.

Lord have mercy on their souls. That last line is really great.

OFyd36S.jpg

Steam has the same thing.

An arbitration is a proceeding before a neutral arbitrator, instead of before a judge or jury. Arbitration is less formal than a lawsuit in court, and provides more limited discovery. It follows different rules than court proceedings, and is subject to very limited review by courts. The arbitrator will issue a written decision and provide a statement of reasons if requested by either party. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU AND VALVE ARE GIVING UP THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND TO HAVE A TRIAL BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY.

I get steamrolling over Ubi seems to be the rage all these days, but companies have been doing this for a while.

Bricky

I love how they refer to the Season Pass compensation as 'THE CAMPAIGN', like this all just a big PR stunt to generate postive buzz.

Isn't this typical of agreements these days?

Yes, it very much is.

dont see the problem here. pretty standard in the entertainment industry.

Yeah nothing wrong with this.

Seems pretty standard, Sony did this with their whole PSN outage fiasco.

I'm surprised at the nonchalant-ness of it all expressed by you people. I'm pretty sure Valve/Steam and Blizzard don't do this kind of shit, would like to be proven wrong if true.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Steam has the same thing.

I get steamrolling over Ubi seems to be the rage all these days, but companies have been doing this for a while.
Unfortunately this will be glossed over in the thread since it's evidently a little known fact since many people don't read these things and thus, are very ignorant about the fact that it's quite commonplace. I vote for your post to be added to the OP.

I'm surprised at the nonchalant-ness of it all expressed by you people. I'm pretty sure Valve/Steam and Blizzard don't do this kind of shit, would like to be proven wrong if true.

An arbitration is a proceeding before a neutral arbitrator, instead of before a judge or jury. Arbitration is less formal than a lawsuit in court, and provides more limited discovery. It follows different rules than court proceedings, and is subject to very limited review by courts. The arbitrator will issue a written decision and provide a statement of reasons if requested by either party. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU AND VALVE ARE GIVING UP THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND TO HAVE A TRIAL BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY.

_machine

Yes, they do. For example Valve's is just a few posts above yours. Seriously though, I get that it's nice to pile on Ubi this is neither new nor anything that other don't do.

It seems that Ubisoft's attorneys believe there is a valid basis for customers to bring suit, otherwise they wouldn't be asking for them to forfeit their right to levy a claim and settle. Why it should only apply to purchasers of the season pass though is miffing, to say the least; purchasers of the base game are no less affected.

Just say no; join the class action suit.

I posted Valves above, this is Blizzards-
Binding Arbitration. If you and Blizzard are unable to resolve a Dispute through informal negotiations, either you or Blizzard may elect to have the Dispute (except those Disputes expressly excluded below) finally and exclusively resolved by binding arbitration. Any election to arbitrate by one party shall be final and binding on the other. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ABSENT THIS PROVISION, YOU WOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A JURY TRIAL. The arbitration shall be commenced and conducted under the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association

Might be a bit tough to understand but it's pretty much saying that in replacement of the ability to sue, you have to go through arbitration and that it's binding.

iNvid02

i mean i wont sue because i chose far cry 4 but i dont know what my family might do

Wait what?

im gonna have to return far cry 4, if my heirs want to exercise their right to sue ubi for future atrocities i cannot in good conscience strip them of these rights

TO ARMS MEN!

This unfortunately says as much about Ubisoft's poor practices as it says about our crappy "TAKE IT TO COURT!" culture. In America more than anywhere else. Seriously, what world are we living in now?!

Top Bottom