• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft livestream teasing Far Cry Primal (Ice Age Far Cry)

Magwik

Banned
at the very least this is a clever way to get people talking about the game, the live stream that is. If they just announced it straight forward we would have a 3 page GAF thread instead of over 30 pages

SomTervo

It is going to be interesting to see what they will come up with in order for the combat to be fun and somewhat realistic.

Still... I believe Ubi is gonna Ubi so I am expecting some sort of time travel in order for the weaponry to stay interesting.

Yep. Frankly, though, it's such a bold idea in the first place that I don't think they're going to shoehorn anything ridiculous like that. I think they're going to keep it pretty grounded in the past.

However, I can still imagine silly 'hallucination' missions like those godawful FC4 ones (the two junkie guys) which might transport us to 'the future'.

What exactly is wrong with the far cry open world formula? I'm curious because i found f3/f4 awesome open world games to explore. Thanks.

I don't think it's that there's anything inherently wrong with it – it's that Ubisoft are relying on it too heavily. And others are starting to mimic the pattern.

As games in their own right I like every one of Ubi's open world games. But I can't deny it's a big sigh moment when I see another climbable tower to expose map/POIs.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone with insight into PR explain to me what they are trying to do here? Is this a known tactic? It looks frustrating for everyone involved.

Kssio_Aug

I don't think it's that there's anything inherently wrong with it – it's that Ubisoft are relying on it too heavily. And others are starting to mimic the pattern.

As games in their own right I like every one of Ubi's open world games. But I can't deny it's a big sigh moment when I see another climbable tower to expose map/POIs.

In Far Cry its kind cool cause of the landscapes, but yeah, I agree it becomes a bit repetitive. They should add different things to dominate the map other than climbing towers and taking posts. Yet, in Far Cry things happen all the time, so it helps to make it feel fresh longer than usual.

But other than Far Cry I think only Assassin's Creed abuse from it, doesn't it? I mean, in Watch_Dogs you had to hack those CToS centers. The big issue, as always, is needing to do it for like 10 times till the end of the game to unlock all the areas missions. They should add more variety in missions and overall stuff (that goes to all their open world games).

Thank god they, until this date, kept those thousands of Assassin's Creed collectibles and mobile apps away from their other games. Hopefully they keep it away.

I didn't mind Farcry 3 but my god I found Farcry 4 to be one of the most generic open world games I ever played. Bored me to tears.

I really hope they mix this up if it's a spinoff like Blood Dragon.

I didn't mind Farcry 3 but my god I found Farcry 4 to be one of the most generic open world games I ever played. Bored me to tears.

Maybe it's just me but i liked far cry 4 better than 3. That mini helicopter has been my favorite new gimmick this gen. Took down so many outposts with that baby.

iNvid02

maybe on the mechanics side (its no secret there's a common formula running through their open world games), but the worlds themselves are always realized well with unique character.

generic sounds wrong

speedomodel

It zoomed back in?!

nick-cage-lol.gif

jschreier

Definitely one of the dumbest game reveals I've seen! They should've just said yesterday that it'd be announced in 24 hours instead of expecting people to just watch a stream of a painting with no end in sight.

BiggNife

Definitely one of the dumbest game reveals I've seen! They should've just said yesterday that it'd be announced in 24 hours instead of expecting people to just watch a stream of a painting with no end in sight.

Between this and that dumb Deus Ex twitch thing I really hope these stupid over-drawn teases don't become a common thing.

Rosur

Yep this would of worked if it was 3hrs or so not 24 with IGN turkeys leak...

heringer

Only problem with Far Cry 3 and 4 is the gunplay. I feels off and unsatisfying. It actually says a lot about the rest of the games when it's core isn't all that great.

It was a genius idea until 8 hours in and everybody lost their interest. At least give us a countdown!

4jjiyoon

they should've just run it for a couple hours then played a reveal trailer

I can't seem to wrap my head around how an FC game without any guns would work.

I mean beyond a handful of caveman weapons I'm not sure what else they could do. Will keep an open mind though...

Hahahaha wow, I love reading the confusion and frustration that some of you seem to have with this.

''I could go outside, do something else. This is stupid, why are they doing this? WHAT DOES IT MEAN AND WHY DID IT ZOOM BACK!!''

Honestly after cock teasing this long the damn game should be a full fledged release. Its probably not though, just something the size of Blood Dragon

souffe

Neo Member
It's good that they're drastically changing the setting on this one, I loved far cry 3 and blood dragon, but far cry 4 just felt like a deja vu for me, it was way too similar to its predecessor.

-BLITZ-

So no actual weaponry, just bows and hunt for animals, again with mystic powers in the middle of the game (from the painting). How can you actually name this a Far Cry game? Gosh, from the concept of the first Far Cry which was all about island and weapons, to where it went now. :(

Or prehistoric from a post-apocalyptic event with available weapons ? Horizon Zero Dawn. Now games are being copied. At least Horizon Zero Dawn has original fresh new concept. Run out of ideas, Ubi ? I hope so to be original, but I take it back.

So no actual weaponry, just bows and hunt for animals, again with mystic powers in the middle of the game (from the painting). How can you actually name this a Far Cry game? Gosh, from the concept of the first Far Cry which was all about island and weapons, to where it went now. :(

Or prehistoric from a post-apocalyptic event with available weapons ? Horizon Zero Dawn. Now games are being copied. At least Horizon Zero Dawn has original fresh new concept.

Yeah because they started development right when Horizon got announced 4 months ago...

Or prehistoric from a post-apocalyptic event with available weapons ? Horizon Zero Dawn. Now games are being copied. At least Horizon Zero Dawn has original fresh new concept.

What? Bows, spears, and swords are all weaponry, guns are guns, weapons have always existed.

Also, what legacy? Far cry 3 was already a complete departure from the far cry 1 formula.

pelican

Feels like I'm back home now that I'm back in this thread.

Several hours last night, slept, and the working day is about to finish - still the video and the thread runs:)

-BLITZ-

What? Bows, spears, and swords are all weaponry, guns are guns, weapons have always existed.

I was referring to shooting bullets, hold a gun since the series is all about first person shooter. Bow, spears, swords are not my type of games (Skyrim, not that I hate or dislike them), but I have no problem if they are in Fallout universe since it plays differently.

speedomodel

Curious if this will be the Far Cry 5 release for 2016. Would be nice for them to make a drastic change, since 3 and 4 were in my opinion too similar.

Mendax

I was referring to shooting bullets, hold a gun since the series is all about first person shooter. Bow, spears, swords are not my type of games (Skyrim, not that I have or dislike), but I have no problem if they are in Fallout universe since it plays differently.

maybe it features a timetraveler that brings some guns back with him to the ice age, lol

Top Bottom