• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft livestream teasing Far Cry Primal (Ice Age Far Cry)

Jawmuncher

Also I agree that if this was going to have dinosaurs it would already be shown or heavily hinted at. That sort of thing would be front and foremost. Guess they could still do DLC.

I'm guessing right off the bat that this will play like any other Far Cry but with a bigger elephant. I could see this being good if the mechanics are actually crafted around the idea but I really can't see Ubisoft going to that length. Also guessing we're going to spend 90% of our time having bow fights with humans despite the setting.

Prove me wrong Ubi, please, don't fuck this one up.

Dawg

I wonder when Ubisoft will finally show whatever project the ACIV director has been working on.

Full pirate game pls.

aeolist

Banned
This was before Jurassic World became the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time. Also, Ark Survival Evolved is one of the biggest games on Steam, and Horizon got a great reception at E3. Dinosaurs are in, now. They may have changed their minds.

I mean, this is Ubisoft, but it's still possible.

this game started development a couple of years ago though

Osahi

next time someone makes a game about any other historical period i'm gonna go in and shitpost about how it needs steampunk zeppelins piloted by nazis and vikings or else it's a massive missed opportunity that squanders the fact that it takes place in "history"

Far Cry with dinosaurs is something people talk and dream about for so long now. You can't blaim them for being dissapointed when a prehistoric one doesn't have any.

I've had trouble finding the interview again given it was so long ago, but basically they felt that for these big investments, they wanted worlds people would really relate to because they felt it would make their products sell notably better.

They would be looking at things like GTA and CoD and seeing that as the barometer of such.

Well maybe that can change cause we now live in a time where the 3rd high grossing movie has dinos .

bounchfx

I would be 100% on board with a fucking Far Cry: Turok version. It's been too long since we've had a GOOD fps dinosaur game. Shit. I really hope this fits the bill!

JCtheMC

Guys, there aren't going to be dinosaurs because Ubisoft Editorial decreed around five years ago that all their major ~$15+ million dollar projects should drop all fantasy and any heavy sci-fi themes (like, beyond the extent of what you see in Tom Clancy or Assassin's Creed where it's generally modern day).

If only a better publisher had made such a decision.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you have a link to this?

I'm currently paging through the archives of GamesIndustry.biz trying to find it.

I can easily understand why people wouldn't believe me out of hand, though I submit what Ubisoft spends money on as evidence in the meantime.

pelican

I'm guessing right off the bat that this will play like any other Far Cry but with a bigger elephant. I could see this being good if the mechanics are actually crafted around the idea but I really can't see Ubisoft going to that length. Also guessing we're going to spend 90% of our time having bow fights with humans despite the setting.

Prove me wrong Ubi, please, don't fuck this one up.

There were humans back then - Neanderthals vs the Human tribes?

Fuck it, I'm no history expert:)

Hasney

next time someone makes a game about any other historical period i'm gonna go in and shitpost about how it needs steampunk zeppelins piloted by nazis and vikings or else it's a massive missed opportunity that squanders the fact that it takes place in "history"

Well now all you've done is made me realise what Assassins Creed games have been missing. Especially if the Zepplins are also time machines used by modern day template to stop you.

Also, the 'and' shouldn't be there, they should be Nazi Vikings. I would play this shit out of that game.

There won't be any dinosaurs at release people.

Ubisoft would be putting them front and center if they were in this game.

Don't forget that they couldn't even resist spoiling the small time-travelling segments in AC: Unity.

Guys, there aren't going to be dinosaurs because Ubisoft Editorial decreed around five years ago that all their major ~$15+ million dollar projects should drop all fantasy and any heavy sci-fi themes (like, beyond the extent of what you see in Tom Clancy or Assassin's Creed where it's generally modern day).

If you look at Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs, Tom Clancy, or even things like For Honor, they all follow this.

Wow, that's actually really interesting. Thanks for the info. That does give a lot of perspective.

Honestly though, I do think it stifles creative development. Not every project related to sci-fi or dinosaurs etc will equate to massively going over budget. Wise and efficient spending can go a long way. I know it's easier said than done though.

Far Cry with dinosaurs is something people talk and dream about for so long now. You can't blaim them for being dissapointed when a prehistoric one doesn't have any.

Ubisoft is the master of disappointments for me...even heroes of might and magic was destroyed with them.

This post on dinossaurs almost makes me want to play turok again

braves01

Banned
Hopefully this has giant 9 ft beavers, mammoth sloths, and all the other weird giant rodents of the ice age people forget about.

5311194564_42a5ac815e_z.jpg

wrowa

There are so many sci-fi and fantasy games out there that I kind of like Ubisofts "let's keep it real" approach, truth to be told. It's not that I dislike those genres, but it's nice to have a bit more variety. It's something that Ubisoft is definitely good at and for what I appreciate the Assassin's Creed series with its everchanging historical settings.

Too bad about the actual games, though.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's one way to reveal a game, I do like the thought of a game set in the primal ice age though.

I'm surprised they don't have microtransactions on screen to let folks reveal the screen faster.

There won't be any dinosaurs at release people.

Ubisoft would be putting them front and center if they were in this game.

Don't forget that they couldn't even resist spoiling the small time-travelling segments in AC: Unity.

That was so stupid. The one thing that was really interesting in that game and they had to spoil it for marketing reasons.

ugoo18

Wait this is an actual thing?

This is somehow a very sad thing to hear from such a large publisher like Ubisoft.

eso76

New game or far cry 4 dlc ?
Or Blood Dragon-like cheap standalone thing ?

weird timing for a new game announcement

bounchfx

Eh.. Even if there's no Dino's I'd be cool with it as long as there's no actual firearms and the theme is kept pretty strictly prehistoric

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm currently paging through the archives of GamesIndustry.biz trying to find it.

I can easily understand why people wouldn't believe me out of hand, though I submit what Ubisoft spends money on as evidence in the meantime.

It's your avatar.

People don't trust "anime" avatars.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Watch this reveal simply end with 'Far Cry Primal' when the video finishes zooming out. Ubisoft seem to excel at annoying the hell out of people. Couldn't someone have a quiet word with them?

There were humans back then - Neanderthals vs the Human tribes?

Fuck it, I'm no history expert:)

You have a damn good point lol.

Technically they wouldn't be exactly what we are now, if I remember correctly we are a hybrid of Neanderthals and the other type of human that was around at the time. We lean less to the Neanderthal side typically, but in rare cases there are still some people out there who are still carrying a lot of the descended DNA from Neanderthals and their appearance reflects it. Of course they look like any other person for the most part but have what would be considered an unusual skull shape and such. It's possible a fully Neanderthal person could still be out there was a detail I caught from the show. It came from a documentary so take with a grain of salt but I typically don't watch anything like natgeo, but I never tend to take anything I hear as 100% on TV.

Top Bottom