• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Massive planning monetization in upcoming Avatar and Star Wars games

DaGwaphics

I should be livid about this shit, but in the end over time I came to terms with the fact that most of the "monetized" goodies these service offer are absolutely pointless shit and you are rarely missing out on anything meaningfull.

This just speaking in general. In this case we are even talking about Ubisoft, which adds a layer of "I don't give a fuck about what these people do, anyway".

That's the way I look at it as well. As long as the add-on nonsense doesn't damage the game for players not buying in, I don't care. The inclusion of boring grind as a method of encouraging players to pay their way through the game is more of a concern to me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The problem is even if you dont buy any mtx content, the game design itself is already affected by it. You get a compromised experience, to what degree depends on how greedy do the devs get.

Game design is also effected by the "pay full price up front" business model. Every game is compromised.

wvnative

People will bitch and moan and whine and I get why, but at some point it's just the popular thing to do.

Ubisoft games are never grindy, even the multiplayer games. I've never found their MTX to compromise their games. Granted, I haven't played some of their newer games so maybe that's changed, but it's fine in AC and Siege.

H . R . 2

Why is this a problem? Ubisoft MTX is fine, it's a single player game and has some skins as buyable option and boosts to get XP, Gold etc. Nothing that deteriorates the gameplay.
how do you think they persuade players to buy XP and better gear? grind that is built into the gameplay, formula and genre that Ubisoft is famous for: pseudo-RPGs
if you think you are getting a Mass Effect-/skyrim-tier of RPG from Ubisoft you are mistaken.
and if you think their games will be anything but bloated with tedious grind you are, sir, mistaken

if they were smart they would learn their lesson from SE and The Avengers:
"the popularity of a blockbuster movie franchise does not guarantee MTX profitability.
you would only betray your fanbase in the hope of attracting casuals to buy your useless MTX"

Last edited:

EDMIX

The irony of everyone making their fake ass narratives that Star Wars MUSSST have went to a open license cause big bad evil EA, only to have Ubisoft this this lol

Star Wars Fallen Order 2 coming out with zero MTX, zero MP......the deep lolz.

That being said, I can't judge to harshly as I don't even know what any of that is going to entail as if its like any of their other games, its going to be a non-issue for most gamers anyway.

If they have a solid concept and it looks good and has a interesting story or something, its still a buy for me so.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

The victory for success is getting players to depart with their money before experiencing the product.

snake-oil-salesman-Bingfreetousecommercially-e1467865730896.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
Here's a simple answer to all you keyboard warriors. Don't buy the content. I for one, can't wait for the game
Heres an answer for you, just shut the fuck up if your gonna buy the game regardless and ignore any and all faults a title has.

You dont even know if the game is good and you're already simping on it, how sad.

Such a brave gamer
Just a gamer
The problem is even if you dont buy any mtx content, the game design itself is already affected by it. You get a compromised experience, to what degree depends on how greedy do the devs get.
I've never seen in it an Ubi game. The games are usually so massive one doesn't even see all the basic game content anyway. I've never had an issue with it in the RE remakes either.

Heres an answer for you, just shut the fuck up if your gonna buy the game regardless and ignore any and all faults a title has.

You dont even know if the game is good and you're already simping on it, how sad.
Such a child, stop swearing and grow up
I bet you aren't going to buy Avatar 2, much less have bought any of the main Ubi games and are in the 'YouTube' gang. Who loves slagging off games they've never played or owned

Three

any microtransactions would be cosmetics as they are in many Ubisoft titles.

Guys, "they're just cosmetics" like Sea of Thieves. Where are the people who defend just cosmetics in a paid for game.

anthraticus

Banned
I honestly don't see how triple A gaming can sustain itself with each generation and resources required for each title. Current financial models don't seem to be enough to generate required returns.
I thought normies eat this shit up though ?

MMaRsu

Banned
Just a gamer

I've never seen in it an Ubi game. The games are usually so massive one doesn't even see all the basic game content anyway. I've never had an issue with it in the RE remakes either.

Such a child, stop swearing and grow up
I bet you aren't going to buy Avatar 2, much less have bought any of the main Ubi games and are in the 'YouTube' gang. Who loves slagging off games they've never played or owned
Calling people 'keyboard warriors' and then telling me to grow up 😂😂.

Fucking goober get outta here with your dumb assumptions. 'Youtube gang'?? Wtf are you on a out kid 😂. Who is the Youtube Gang?

Ive plenty of Ubisoft games. I'm not excited for Avatar 2 at all, first because I havent seen a single shred of gameplay footage, and second its because Ubisoft games on the whole are entirely mediocre.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I gave up on Ubisoft a while ago. It pains me to see that they're the ones who put their grubby hands on a brand new Star Wars game but I'll be damned if I'm ever gonna play it just because it's associated with a company that, as far as I'm concerned, can suck my big fat greasy balls and pick out pubes from between their teeth when they're done tonguing my taint.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Honestly, I had a lot of fun with The Division 2 and Immortals Fenyx Rising. I’ll be keeping an eye and if the Star Wars game is a solid single player or multiplayer experience, I’m in.

I mean, folks wouldn’t stop endlessly barking about EA and Jedi Fallen Order ended up being a great experience. Judge each game by its merits, not by the publisher.

So blind and stupid, I get it.

If you honestly dont understand or see how Ubisoft has changed their entire game design to facilitate these MTX options, then you must be clueless.
How many Ubisoft games do you own? You can buy loads of stuff in Division 2, but the main game on its own is still huge. If someone wants to buy a new outfit in the likes of RE or Division that's a matter for them.
Calling people 'keyboard warriors' and then telling me to grow up 😂😂.

Fucking goober get outta here with your dumb assumptions. 'Youtube gang'?? Wtf are you on a out kid 😂. Who is the Youtube Gang?

Ive plenty of Ubisoft games. I'm not excited for Avatar 2 at all, first because I havent seen a single shred of gameplay footage, and second its because Ubisoft games on the whole are entirely mediocre.

You type like a right one too, with even more swearing. I never had you down as a Ubisoft gamer, don't worry on that score. So get worked up over something you have no interest in. That after all.... is the keyboard warrior way

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Playing through AC Origins and then Odyssey I feel I’ve seen it.

Odyssey had so much more crafting bloat to it, and no free Legendary Armor sets, while Origins had far less crafting resources to collect as well as several Legendary Armor sets for you to unlock.
More crafting materials to unlock means a hell of a lot more repetition within the game world to obtain the materials needed for leveling up.

This was a design decision meant to nudge players to spend money in their store.

Playing through AC Origins and then Odyssey I feel I’ve seen it.

Odyssey had so much more crafting bloat to it, and no free Legendary Armor sets, while Origins had far less crafting resources to collect as well as several Legendary Armor sets for you to unlock.
More crafting materials to unlock means a hell of a lot more repetition within the game world to obtain the materials needed for leveling up.

This was a design decision meant to nudge players to spend money in their store.

They are huge games even if you buy nothing at all. AC games are all about repetition, much like Yakuza.

Wildebeest

It has always been that licences for huge franchises are expensive, and profit margins are thin. Makes it easier to make up excuses for milking the annoying customers who insist on a non-stop flow of licenced content.

how do you think they persuade players to buy XP and better gear? grind that is built into the gameplay, formula and genre that Ubisoft is famous for: pseudo-RPGs
if you think you are getting a Mass Effect-/skyrim-tier of RPG from Ubisoft you are mistaken.
and if you think their games will be anything but bloated with tedious grind you are, sir, mistaken

"the popularity of a blockbuster movie franchise does not guarantee MTX profitability.
you would only betray your fanbase in the hope of attracting casuals to buy your useless MTX"
I think they are smart enough that's why they are so many years in this business. Also SE has some stupid decision and it's not good comparison. Every game that has so big world has grind, the way these games play does not have anything to do with MTX is their design philosophy that's the problem. A shine armor that you need 10€ or 100€ does not make a difference the grinding you have too do (only how idiot you are buying this low tier shit) also an exp boost does not provide anything because if you follow the story missions with minimal grinding you will never have problem. With exp boost you make the game unfun because you are over leveled for the content. But that is your decision if you want to buy the MTX or even the game but it seems people don't have issue with this that's why they sell millions of the same game

Drizzlehell

Banned

ubisoftls4aajuk.png

This circle of death basically translates to: "let's keep making games that are so ridiculously bloated and stretched thin that it would be pretty much impossible to complete them before we shit out the next one, and then also throw in some artificial (and paid) solutions to the very content bloat that we created in the first place"

The problem is that Ubisoft employs some of the best talent in the industry and on the surface those games are amazing, provided that you play them in shorter bursts. But the overall business model and the way those games are designed to waste you time as much as humanly possible makes me wanna vomit.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Played a few hours of Avatar on PS3 since it had 3D tv support and honestly wasn't bad. However, everything by Ubishit is DOA for me due to their launcher.

MMaRsu

Banned
How many Ubisoft games do you own? You can buy loads of stuff in Division 2, but the main game on its own is still huge. If someone wants to buy a new outfit in the likes of RE or Division that's a matter for them.

You type like a right one too, with even more swearing. I never had you down as a Ubisoft gamer, don't worry on that score. So get worked up over something you have no interest in. That after all.... is the keyboard warrior way
Ive got about 25. But whatever u clown

Patrick S.

Banned
I have no problem if they put stuff like some lightsaber colours and lightsaber grips, or maybe some player skins or emotes, behind monetization. That doesn't hurt the game. But stuff like putting whole planets, npc characters or quests behind paywalls really sucks, and that's exactly what I'm expecting they'll do.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm having difficulty recalling a recent Ubisoft game that hasn't had some form of monetization in their games. Thankfully up to this point, they've been easily ignored and doesn't affect the core game. Sure there tends to be stuff like time savers, but they are exactly that. I don't recall ever running into a progression wall where I've had to grind.

Hoping that these titles are good. I think Massive is a talented studio.

However, I will always recommend that people wait on Ubisoft titles unless it's something you really want to play immediately. Ubisoft tends to put their games on sale very quickly after launch.

I guess I need more than 25 Ubisoft games (and a lot more played but not currently owned) to have a valid opinion? Go away you corporate tool
Says the 'tool' who apparently bought 25 Ubisoft games and played a lot more and is posting in a thread about a game, they have no intention of buying.

Go away, you keyboard warrior

MMaRsu

Banned
Says the 'tool' who apparently bought 25 Ubisoft games and played a lot more and is posting in a thread about a game, they have no intention of buying.

Go away, you keyboard warrior

Im allowed my opinion on video game business decisions as much as you are.

Except you seem to think its all fine and dandy

Top Bottom