• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft May Be Quietly Retiring The Watch Dogs Series

R6Rider

Gold Member
WD2 was fantastic. Legion had some fun moments, and cool NPC scheduling systems, but overall wasn't the right direction.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Embarrassed? i am not i play all of Ass Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Tom Clancy
Nope not Embarrassed one bit wile you on the other hand pretending to try to troll is what is Embarrassing
4 or 5 Ubisoft games made my Top 10 list of last gen to be honest, and probably even more if we are talking play time.
I'm much too old to care what other people say or think about that so dont let the sheep annoy you or put you down.
You do you buddy.

impressed-not-bad.gif

AX8

Banned
I love Ubisoft games and still buy the yearly AssCreed/FarCry but this series never stuck with me, maybe because there are vastly superior open world/city games out there that I've played so these just don't hit for me.

Notabueno

Banned
Watch Dogs was made when Ubisoft had talents, and hadn't replaced pigs with bigots and loonies, in a country that hadn't lost all sense of pragmatism, merit and quality yet.

I have so many first-hand intels from inside Ubisoft and on one hand I want to say they have problems common to most corporations in the industry but on the other hand they have problems proper to the country's culture current dumpster fire falling.

For example when any corporations of that size understands that NFT is of course the future of video games, but right now is a no-go because the standard tech isn't there so it's not viable, and has a really bad rep because of the terrible art, money laundry and ecology, and therefor any direct pragmatic PR should go against NFT, these are the dumb, incapable imposters who'll double down on NFT PR because they're so fucking lacking of intelligence, legitimacy and professionalism that they think they're smart and cynical, it'll play out because there's no consequence to bad management, work and decisions, which again is currently the mentality of most structures in France.

In fact the country is going so much to the drain that while even japan will never let any of their video games corporations be bought out by foreign funds and any country like the US or China have basic patrimony protection like share-limitation regulations on how much foreign fund can acquire, France will no doubt "give it out" for nothing to a foreign corporations or funds if Ubisoft where to be bought out because they're not even trying to save the furniture at this point.

EDMIX

lol unlikely.

1. Members of teams leave all the time as in Watchdogs 1 and 2 had developers leave, thats a moot point and irrelevant tbh.
2. Watchdogs 1 and 2 sold very well for Ubisoft, not enough is here to suggest 1 fucking game suddenly means they hate the IP and will can it, look at how many bad fucking titles we've seen from their other series yet they continue on. Far Cry Primal sold like 4 million and I recall people call it a flop, Far Cry 5 breaks all records for the series after.

The reality is...they've seen flops before and Far Cry, Assassin's Creed and Watchdogs are all series like Final Fantasy...are different every time (or most times), thus 1 title doing bad doesn't mean Watchdogs isn't wanted, it means Legion itself wasn't wanted, but I'm sure Ubisoft knows that and a lot of this information doesn't really sound like zero Watchdogs, it just sounds like people moving on with life and going to different projects. That happens everyday in the industry and unreported most times btw.

We'll see, but I have a hard time believing 1 title is enough to make them stop a series.

iorek21

Watch Dogs died after the confirmed downgrade back in 2014, and not even the very fun Watch Dogs 2 could save it from a hype/acceptance perspective.

The only way I can see this franchise coming back to life is Ubi completing the E3 2012 demo vision or even improving it. Watch Dogs was always supposed to be a realistic and immersive GTA with a little Sci-Fi in the mix.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Watch Dogs 1 was good, 2 was middle and 3 is bad. I can see why they put this IP to rest.
Do an amazing come back in 10 years.

4 or 5 Ubisoft games made my Top 10 list of last gen to be honest, and probably even more if we are talking play time.
I'm much too old to care what other people say or think about that so dont let the sheep annoy you or put you down.
You do you buddy.

impressed-not-bad.gif
I understand everyone has different taste but the hypocrisy is real
They single out Ubisoft game by saying it all the same game
Yet if we are going by their logic all other game franchise made be the same developers is the same to
Like example all Metal Gear games are the same so is Gran Turismo & Halo & God of War & Soul's Games like i mention before
Just to name a few so where is the outcry for those games being the same over and over again wile they single out Ubisoft games
As if Ubisoft games are the only one to reuse assets and style across games it really dumb lol

Nydius

I understand everyone has different taste but the hypocrisy is real
They single out Ubisoft game by saying it all the same game
Yet if we are going by their logic all other game franchise made be the same developers is the same to
Like example all Metal Gear games are the same so is Gran Turismo & Halo & God of War & Soul's Games like i mention before
Just to name a few so where is the outcry for those games being the same over and over again wile they single out Ubisoft games
As if Ubisoft games are the only one to reuse assets and style across games it really dumb lol

If I roll my eyes any harder at this, they'll pop out of my head. I could write a fucking novel on how your "logic" is utterly flawed and how none of those games suffer the same problems as Ubisoft's cookie cutter development bullshit but it's late and it would be a waste of time. Your bias is too strong to be broken.

I'm sorry you can't see that every one of these major Ubisoft games uses the same, cookie cutter shit tier design. A tower to climb, a drone or eagle to mark targets, the same half-assed stealth systems, the same mediocre shooting and melee combat designs, identical padded playtime through endless collectathon bullshit. Watch_Dogs, AC, Far Cry, even Division and the later sprawling Ghost Recon games are all the same fucking game. That's five different franchises that all use the same, color-by-number open world development -- not the same as comparing direct sequels of a single franchise, like God of War or Gran Turismo.

One day you'll have an epiphany and realize this and realize just how creatively bankrupt Ubisoft's output is.

Last edited:

Paasei

I actually thought the first one was pretty cool. Dark tone carried it. Many options available, albeit always pressing the same button. The city felt alive for its time with every NPC having name and profile.

If only they innovated more later on with the franchise. Well, they did with the recruiting, but that always felt like a gimmick to me. Never use someone else when you have that one character that is good for everything. The minor benefits of a I.e construction worker weren’t noteworthy enough.

If I roll my eyes any harder at this, they'll pop out of my head. I could write a fucking novel on how your "logic" is utterly flawed and how none of those games suffer the same problems as Ubisoft's cookie cutter development bullshit but it's late and it would be a waste of time. Your bias is too strong to be broken.

I'm sorry you can't see that every one of these major Ubisoft games uses the same, cookie cutter shit tier design. A tower to climb, a drone or eagle to mark targets, the same half-assed stealth systems, the same mediocre shooting and melee combat designs, identical padded playtime through endless collectathon bullshit. Watch_Dogs, AC, Far Cry, even Division and the later sprawling Ghost Recon games are all the same fucking game. That's five different franchises that all use the same, color-by-number open world development -- not the same as comparing direct sequels of a single franchise, like God of War or Gran Turismo.

One day you'll have an epiphany and realize this and realize just how creatively bankrupt Ubisoft's output is.
VwAl6Ay.gif

Again using your own logic all the Soul's Game from Demon Souls to Bloodborne to Elden Ring are the same
I laugh so hard at your logic it hurts

Edit: Let throw Sekiro in there to i almost forgot about Sekiro using your logic it the same game lol

One day you'll have an epiphany and realize this and realize just how creatively bankrupt FromSoftware output is.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I always liked the rainy dark gritty look of first game. Never played it more than 30 minutes for some reason.
Watch dogs 2 …. Nope and watch dogs 3 I got a code with gpu and sold it. Note even bothered

The random protagonist idea was incredibly ambitious and no other game has attempted anything like it... unfortunately it just doesn't work when it comes to narrative.

Watch Dogs 2 is still an incredibly open world game and they should've built upon it rather than deviated from it.

YouTuber JorRaptor has put together a theory that suggests that Ubisoft may be finished with making Watch Dogs games after reception to the Watch Dogs: Legion was tepid at best. He also took a look at job role personnel at Ubisoft and noticed that senior members of the Watch Dogs development team have either left the company or have been moved to other games. At least seven senior developers that worked on Watch Dogs are now scattered in the wind. Anyone left with the company has moved on to other projects.

The franchise has its fans but with Watch Dogs: Legion not taking hold after moderate gains with Watch Dogs 2, Ubisoft may be ready to cut the cord on this franchise as it looks to focus on bringing any of its other projects to market.

Personally id say watchdogs has been a failed franchise and a dud since the first game, first game sold well because of the faje demo that was shown at e3, since then no has trusted that series since

ZywyPL

Banned
The problem is Ubisoft.

Oh yes. Ubisoft are absolutely fucking awful. We really all shouldn’t be buying their games anymore.

Well, looking how everyone those days copies their open-world formula I'd say they aren't that bad, quite the opposite actually, they were way ahead of everyone. But yeah, give the franchise a few years break, release it as a PS5/XSX-only game that is close if not better than that infamous misleading WD1 "gameplay" showcase, and I believe it's gonna be back on track.

Elios83

The series always tried to be the next AC in their dreams but the concept behind it was just boring. I played only the first and dropped it after a few hours.

SteadyEvo

They did so good with the second one only to throw all of that away with Legion. That game is a piece of shit.
2nd took major steps backwards in shooting and story/tone. The 1st felt like a legit threat to take GTAs open world crown. The combat felt so good. And having Marcus kill in 2 felt out of place given the tone.

Legion was soulless. The gameplay wasn’t bad but the lack of a dedicated main character killed it for me.

OZ9000

Banned
Watch Dogs 1 was quite good IMO. People hated on it for no reason whatsoever. Controls were tight, missions were good, wasn't full of filler content and had good visuals on PC despite the downgrade.

Watch Dogs 2 wasn't as good but a more appropriate name would be Woke dogs.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ubisoft drove the franchise to the ground by making it woke. Now it’s dead but they got ResetEra cred for diversity, inclusion and anti-brexitness. Congrats I guess?

Skifi28

The first game wasn't great but it showed promise. I have no idea what happened to the franchise after that and I fear neither does Ubisoft.

Alebrije

Hope is true , also should drop Ghost Recon . Both IPs recent games were crap.

They should focus on Division , their best new IP on recent years...

AC , The Division and Far Cry are more than enought and they should revive Splinter Cell and hurry up o the new Beyong Good and Evil 2

Last edited:

XXL

This whole "quietly does this thing" is getting super annoying.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

What does "quietly" retiring a series even mean? No publisher ever announces that they're retiring an IP and will never make a game for it again. IPs are among the most valuable assets any company can have. While IPs can stay dormant for a long time, the door is never closed forever on something that has money making potential. Also, with rumors floating around that Ubisoft could be acquired, you don't think the new parent company may want to leverage Ubisoft's existing IPs, including WD?

Top Bottom