• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft on backlash: There are no current plans to implement achievements in Assassin's Creed Valhalla on Steam

Kacho

I have no idea why these threads always end up as wars about achievements themselves. Surely, it's not that difficult to understand that some people might enjoy an optional feature you don't? Right?
We see the same thing in threads about games being exclusive to EGS. "I don't get why people care about this. It's just another launcher." Like, thanks for letting us know, guy.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I really don't know why people give a shit about Steam achievements. You can unlock whatever you want with a quick Google.

As a neat way to say "oh hey X% of players did this!" I think they're great, but, when the achievements can be toggled on at will it really doesn't mean much.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I really don't know why people give a shit about Steam achievements. You can unlock whatever you want with a quick Google.

As a neat way to say "oh hey X% of players did this!" I think they're great, but, when the achievements can be toggled on at will it really doesn't mean much.

Unless something has changed, you could easily fool PSN achievements too.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Unless something has changed, you could easily fool PSN achievements too.

From what I remember it's WAY more involved than Steam, though. Not difficult at all, but much more difficult than 3 seconds in Google to download an app and probably enough to put most Playstation users off.

At the end of the day, anyone could get/pay anyone to get most achievements for them, so the stats are never totally reliable, but on Steam it's just always felt off to me because of how simple the unlocker is to use. I did it once a long while back because something didn't pop when it was supposed to, and after that it was a little deflating doing any more. I remember the day they came out, working through HL2 again. Shit, TF2 even locked weapons behind them initially which was the worst idea in the world, but fun at the time.

Pretty pointless release. All you get is the privilige of running two launchers instead of one. But if having that Steam icon is really important to people, knock yourselves out. I’d rather just buy a UbiConnect key.

Braag

I don't care for achievements but I can't help but feel that Ubi's return to Steam has been half assed. They haven't brought rest of the missing games (FC6, WD:Legion, Division 2) to the platform either. It's like they're scared to fully commit or that they're annoyed that they have to come back to Steam for sales so they're doing the bare minimum.

Kacho

UPHv5A3.png

They fell below the 70% threshold down to 65%. Congrats on the mixed reception Ubisoft Montreal. Nothing inspires confidence more than a two year old port with missing features.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The fact that Epic will be forcing achievements in New games might actually be a good thing for Steam.

Kenpachii

Isn't there archievement solution linked towards discounts? i remember when buying stuff from there store that if you get 100 points which u gain from archievements or something u get a 20% discount on there games. So that could be the problem right there.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Ubisoft confirmed again today that achievements isn't happening, after telling everyone yesterday that it was under review.

Lunarorbit

I just assumed that developers used the same or similar lists for achievements on steam that they use on ps/ms.

This is really weird. Seems like ubi would have to go out of their way to stop achievements on steam instead of just implementing them like on console.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ubisoft Massive lead gameplay designer Fredrik Thylander::

UbiLazy

And bullshit. Achievements/Trophies do not eat into any game significant design resources. No wonder UbiSoft is floundering with cancellations and delays. You're all kinds of mismanaged.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Thanks for nothing Ubisoft

Metnut

Rare time I agree with Ubisoft. “Achievements” are a pox on gaming. So are subscription services. And, get off my lawn.

MikeM

Considering they need every dollar they can due to slowing sales, bit of a head scratcher. Or just shows how out of touch they are which likely explains their situation.

Ubisoft Massive lead gameplay designer Fredrik Thylander::

whatever-shrug.gif

What resources? It's a literal checklist that's made on the side. Massive Ent. should just worry about making sure that Avatar game is good.

Also, what year did this guy last play a game with achievements? This isn't the 360 gen anymore where achievements were utterly ridiculous and hindered gameplay because they wanted you to die 100 times or were something idiotic enough to that degree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom