• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft On the Next Generation of Consoles 4K 60fps

No he meant the exact settings at 144fps, he's trying to sound funny.

I thought he meant playing the game in potato mode.

Kg2iiIi.png

If not then he has a pretty powerful laptop. Although I'm not sure what hardware you would need to play the game at PS5 settings at 144FPs.

Tiamat2san

Hopefully, @NXGamer will do the comparisons for you. Subscribe to his channel, if you haven't.
He doesn’t have the material to test audio in a professional manner.
It will be only impression which can differ from person to person.
Especially in that case, tempest audio is only on headphones at launch.
The spatialisation of the sound will never be as good as with a 7.1 or 5.1.2/4 set up.

LordOfChaos

I'd expect current gen games running on next gen to be able to do this, but I'm not a 4K purist going into this new generation. If a game is really pushing the visuals and wants to do 1440p with decent image reconstruction up to 4K, that's cool.

Concern

Only thing I'd probably try is For Honor since I already have it. I actually got paid for buying it lol.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird for some entries they say "4k at 60 frames per second" and for others they say "4k and 60 frames per second"
I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed that detail.
As I understand it, the Series X will do those titles in 4K/60 fps whereas we'll have to choose between the two on PS5.
Looks like a victory for MS in the first skirmish of the console war.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFunSocks

Banned
A current gen game running at 1080p on the S.
I can run the original Doom at 1080p on my gaming PC or I can run Doom Eternal at 1080p on it too. Does that mean that they're the same quality, or just that they're the same resolution and everything else is different?

The tempest audio. I remember them talking about there being like 100 or more sound sources at a time. I wonder if anybody is going to do audio comparisons on both versions of Watch Dogs. I'd like to see if there's a difference. Audio is really important to me in games.

So can Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One. Sony are just trying to catch up to the field.

Last edited:

itsnotme

I can run the original Doom at 1080p on my gaming PC or I can run Doom Eternal at 1080p on it too. Does that mean that they're the same quality, or just that they're the same resolution and everything else is different?

So can Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One. Even the 360 had 3D audio lol. Sony are just trying to catch up to the field.
Yes one of the leaders in audio are trying to catch up. It's essentially irrelevant saying ones better than the other unless of course you're trying to console war if so pardon me. The difference is that Sony's solutions can work on any old piece of headphones and even TVs, while Dolby you have to get certified speakers worth hundreds of £$€ whatever currency you use.

jigglet

Banned
Bullshit claims until I see the receipts. How many games this gen were locked at native 1080p @ 60fps?

Based on Digital Foundary analysis vids you could see like 90% of games had massive fluctuations and would dynamically scale the resolution based on load. And 60fps was never a lock, there would be dips here and there. Blah.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yes one of the leaders in audio are trying to catch up. It's essentially irrelevant saying ones better than the other unless of course you're trying to console war if so pardon me. The difference is that Sony's solutions can work on any old piece of headphones and even TVs, while Dolby you have to get certified speakers worth hundreds of £$€ whatever currency you use.
Dolby Atmos works on all headphones too. Sony's 3D audio doesn't work on TVs or anything else yet, literally just headphones.

Yes, Sony are trying to catch up in 3D audio. They are not a leader in 3D audio, or even audio on game consoles.

Banned
Bullshit claims until I see the receipts. How many games this gen were locked at native 1080p @ 60fps?

Based on Digital Foundary analysis vids you could see like 90% of games had massive fluctuations and would dynamically scale the resolution based on load. And 60fps was never a lock, there would be dips here and there. Blah.

they also had extremely terrible CPUs, resolution scaling didn't help with CPU bottlenecks.
the CPUs inside these consoles were absolutely garbage, and that's putting it lightly.

recursive

So can Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One. Even the 360 had 3D audio lol. Sony are just trying to catch up to the field.
What 3d audio did the Xbox 360 have?

jigglet

Banned
they also had extremely terrible CPUs, resolution scaling didn't help with CPU bottlenecks.
the CPUs inside these consoles were absolutely garbage, and that's putting it lightly.

It's all relative. They were also aiming lower too (1080p vs 4k).

Current PC-equivalent builds struggle to do 4k 60. Assuming consoles are more optimisied then you might squeeze say 10-15-20% more juice out of an equivalent rig. That still leaves a heap of games that will struggle to reach 4k60. I'm still not believing it till I see the receipts.

That is NOT to say that I really care. If it fluctuates...whatever. I just hate how these companies are pretending as if they'll have this shit locked at 4k60fps.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
What 3d audio did the Xbox 360 have?
Sorry Xbox One, that was my mistake. Series and Xbox One, not One and 360. I'll fix.

Lol what? Yes Sony's 3D audio works on TVs
3D audio isn't working from tv speakers lol. They have confirmed it doesn't at launch:

You should tell sony that it already works with shitty stereo tv speakers lol. It'd be news to them!

They'll try and get it working, but it just physically can't. You think some shitty stereo tv speakers 6 feet away are going to be able to make a game sound like there's someone walking behind and to your left? Gimme a break lol.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Quite funny read this thread.

Clealy the extracts from the PR was written by different people.

Whiydo you think UBI would write benefiting from VA and direct storage, thats clearly MS wording.

Sony will word stuff with Ubi dfferently. 3 pages of wording interpretation. Sweet.

Last edited:

timmyp53

People talking shit about valhalla graphics but I'm sure they know it will be a dynamic resolution... Ubisoft engines are intensive. Better hope fps can stay locked.

Aidah

If someone asked me what upcoming games I'm least interested in, the list would probably look a lot like this.

Regardless though, those performance targets are looking good either way. Hopefully it does indeed stick to those targets most of the time.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Nope. You got 2 kinds, Dolby Atmos should work on a GPU level to produce raytraced, true 3D audio. So far it's not confirmed if the chip is GPU-based, and Ninja Theory comments make it sound CPU-based chip. Tempest 3D will make raytraced audio, and hundreds of them vs only 32 on GPU-based HRTF-based audio on PC. So they are quite different, as the Tempest is GPU-based, and according to AMD you CAN'T make true 3D audio, HRTF based with a CPU-based solution. Passing though this post and others won't make silly comments of Xbox solution sound any smarter, and they can still use the main GPU to compensate for it, while the Tempest 3D would only need half of its power to produce hundreds of highly detailed, raytraced audio according to Mark Cerny, with the other half available for the devs to assist other calculations in the game.

Is xbox solution bad? No, but The Tempest 3D is a level above as it's more accurate. For TV/home theatre don't expect much of a difference even with the tempest support.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
4k at 60fps on XSX
4k and 60fps on PS5
That means on PS5 will be a performance mode and will not run games in 4k 60fps at same time.

They're using the same verbiage for XSX elsewhere. They're using "and" or "at" the same way for both consoles.

Every game will be same res / same fps target on both consoles. Look at Tom Warren twitter (a Xbox fan himself), he confirmed this for every Ubi game. So much desperation in this thread.

Aceofspades

Banned
Yup.

TL;DR version:

Watch Dogs: Legion
Xbox Series X: Ray-tracing, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: Ray-tracing, Tempest Audio, Fast Loading, Adaptive Triggers, Free Upgrade

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Xbox Series X
: 4K, 60fps, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4K, 60fps, Tempest Audio, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade

Immortals Fenyx Rising
Xbox Series X
: 4K HDR, 60fps, Atmos Audio, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4K HDR, 60fps, Tempest Audio, Haptic Feedback, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade

Far Cry 6
Xbox Series X
: 4K, 60fps, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4K, 60fps, Free Upgrade

Riders Public
Xbox Series X
: 4K HDR, 60fps, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4k HDR, 60fps, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade

Rainbow Six Siege
Xbox Series X
: 4K, 120fps, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4K, 120fps, Free Upgrade

For Honor
Xbox Series X
: Graphical Enhancements, 4K, 60fps
PlayStation 5: Graphical Enhancements, 4K, 60fps

Graphical differences between PS5 and XSX are smaller than ever, if any.

Mr Moose

4k at 60fps on XSX
4k and 60fps on PS5
That means on PS5 will be a performance mode and will not run games in 4k 60fps at same time.
Far Cry 6

Far Cry has never looked so stunning, with luscious tropical vistas rendered at 60 frames per second and 4K resolutions on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. If you own a PS4 or Xbox One copy of the game, you can upgrade to the Xbox Series X | S* or PlayStation 5** edition respectively at no extra cost when your new console arrives.

Explain this then.

People already melting down over the difference between "at" and "and" lmao. I can't wait for the Digital Foundry comparison videos. Forum gonna be wild.

Krisprolls

Banned
People already melting down over the difference between "at" and "and" lmao. I can't wait for the Digital Foundry comparison videos. Forum gonna be wild.

I can't wait either. When Xbox fans will see there's no difference it will be glorious.

You already have hints though with Ubi : every game is same res / same fps target for both.

Yup.

TL;DR version:

Watch Dogs: Legion
Xbox Series X: Ray-tracing, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: Ray-tracing, Tempest Audio, Fast Loading, Adaptive Triggers, Free Upgrade

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Xbox Series X
: 4K, 60fps, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4K, 60fps, Tempest Audio, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade

Immortals Fenyx Rising
Xbox Series X
: 4K HDR, 60fps, Atmos Audio, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4K HDR, 60fps, Tempest Audio, Haptic Feedback, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade

Far Cry 6
Xbox Series X
: 4K, 60fps, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4K, 60fps, Free Upgrade

Riders Public
Xbox Series X
: 4K HDR, 60fps, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4k HDR, 60fps, Fast Loading, Free Upgrade

Rainbow Six Siege
Xbox Series X
: 4K, 120fps, Free Upgrade
PlayStation 5: 4K, 120fps, Free Upgrade

For Honor
Xbox Series X
: Graphical Enhancements, 4K, 60fps
PlayStation 5: Graphical Enhancements, 4K, 60fps

Is HDR really only supported for 2 of these games?

Krisprolls

Banned
To be fair, there will be differences. PS5 will have slightly better sound with Tempest, and better controls with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. Controls are the biggest difference according to today's impression videos.

Controls and sound should make PS5 version the best version of every multiplatform game, and shine even more in exclusives obviously.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
No he meant the exact settings at 144fps, he's trying to sound funny.

Same setting but 1080p, 144 would be max (my refresh rate), I get 120ish in Destiny 2 and its going to be 4k/60 on consoles so hope its will be some what similar.

Top Bottom