• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft possibly teasing a new Far Cry [Ubisoft: Nope]

Tagyhag

Totally down with a Far Cry: Vaas, such a great character that was misused.

I understand some people wanting Far Cry 3 remastered on these consoles but as someone who recently beat 4 I'm burned out on the same formula.

Hopefully, if this is a new game, they actually try new things.

Eh, I hope this ends up tying into a Blood Dragon sequel. Having that batshit insane character tied into a world of dinosaurs, vampires, and Vietnam would be perfect.

A prequel on 3's map, or a remaster, would be such meh.

I hear it'll be called Far Cry Towers.

haha dude nice
latest

RedSwirl

I just don't see the point in a remaster of FC3; FC4 surpasses it in every meaningful way and is available right now on PS4/One.

I've only played maybe a few hours of Far Cry 4 but for some reason I don't like it quite as much as 3. The reason is really complicated and subjective though.

Firstly, I still prefer Far Cry 2 to both of them. I recognize FC2's execution was way more flawed and it had huge problems, but I like that it's a less structured and more open-ended game than the later ones. You can kind of see a slide from open-ended immersive sim to somewhat linear "gamey game" from 2-to-4 (I haven't played Primal). 3 added the towers and made the main story a lot more linear but in between that just enough of the immersive sim was still there for that feeling to emerge from time to time. The best moments of FC3 for me are having random stuff happen in the jungle and making my own way to clearing outposts. FC4 took the base clearing and ran with it, but I feel like Ubisoft made that part much more gamey. It sort of turned the bases into trials. The random events happening all over the place also somehow feel less organic in FC4 and more, well, random. Add to that the increased collectibles, towers, and still linear main missions.

I don't even know if I'm going to finish FC4 because Zelda is pretty much already providing everything I wanted from that game. I even hesitated for a long time before getting FC4 (for like $10) after I had Metal Gear Solid V, which also provided just about everything I wanted out of Far Cry.

Basically the next main Far Cry needs to look at MGSV and BOTW and try to make the actual next-gen successor to those games.

Bringing back Vaas and not dropping him half way through would be a treat.

I LOVE the Far Cry base taking gameplay, but even I'm wondering if I'll be interested if it looks the same as the last two.

Gorillaz

I wouldn't even be mad at a far cry 3 remastered. It better come with blood dragon tho.

Actually we need blood dragon 2 as well

Welfare

Remaster Far Cry 3 for the holiday (like with the Assassin's Creed 2 trilogy) next to AC7 and then have Far Cry 4 Holiday 2018.

Would actually like to rebuy that. Never continued past the first island.

Hip Hop

A remaster would be lame as hell.

Far Cry 3 still looks amazing on PC, better than most current gen games.

I wonder if they would try to do a "game as a service" Far Cry, and try to do some sort of Watch Dogs 2 / Ghost Recon Wildlands / Division multiplayer graft on top of the far cry game model. I can't imagine it being any good at all, but would be morbidly curious to see what they come up with.

TVexperto

that's just wrong. We all know there is new far cry coming and it will probably be announced at e3. That PR reply is just talking about the picture.. The picture might be from far cry 3

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
More reason to do a remaster. Look at the 360 version and compare.

Not even mentioning the fact that you can't turn the HUD off on console.

Anyways, Far Cry 3 was very recently made backward compatible so its... probably not a remaster? Not that I'd mind if it was.

Tagyhag

Don't believe that PR, we'll know during E3 or not.

More reason to do a remaster. Look at the 360 version and compare.

I think most people would rather have a brand new game than a remaster of an old game that can still be played on a PC and an Xbox One.

Especially since that old game has the exact same formula of a more recent game that CAN be played on the new consoles.

Klart

Pff. Why the f* do they make such a throwback post? Especially mentioning "we never left the island".

Of course people are gonna think this must mean that island is returning, be it a remaster or a pre/sequel.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pff. Why the f* do they make such a throwback post? Especially mentioning "we never left the island".

Of course people are gonna think this must mean that island is returning, be it a remaster or a pre/sequel.

Given Mando's similar tweet, I'm inclined to think Ubi may be telling a little white lie. Both it and Mando making a "throwback post" so close together, neither on a day that has anything to do with Far Cry 3, would be one hell of a coincidence.

120v

playing FC3 on PC right now, still a very impressive looking game. remaster would seem a waste of time but then again i ended up enjoying Skyrim SE and the option to play on console

still though, seems unnecessary

Given Mando's similar tweet, I'm inclined to think Ubi may be telling a little white lie. Both it and Mando making a "throwback post" so close together, neither on a day that has anything to do with Far Cry 3, would be one hell of a coincidence.

To be fair, he retweeted the link in the op first, with hours between the two tweets. It's not impossible that a fan mentioned him and he decided to do his own post.

KonradLaw

I would love to see continuation of FC3, especially with Jason Brody as a lead.

I've recently been on a little FC binge. I've played through FC4 and Primal and while I enjoyed both, they completely pale in comparision to FC3

sjay1994

Another thing... but it's probably people reaching.

But people are speculating Far Cry 5 is going to be a western.

There was a live action trailer being filmed in Montana by the same director that made the Far Cry Primal Live Action Trailer http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...rew-poplar-shoot-scenes-video-game/101241072/

They said it's an established franchise releasing this September (Rockstar don't do live action trailers)

In 2015 Ubisoft interviewed Montana residents for an upcoming Ubisoft video game http://963theblaze.com/is-ubisoft-making-a-video-game-based-in-montana/

In 2015 Ubisoft ran a survey with a Western Theme being an option http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-05-ubisoft-polls-public-on-future-far-cry-settings

Ubisoft have used surveys with Assassin's Creed settings e.g. American Revolution in Unity http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ey-public-on-future-assassins-creed-locations

The Island and Vaas picture mistaken for a teaser for a future game was confirmed by Ubisoft PR as simply a ‘throwback' post http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...s-teasing-something-related-to-far-cry-3.aspx

I think the strongest evidence here is the fact R* doesn't do live action trailers... but I think a lot of this is reaching and conjecture.

But if true, good luck to ubi for trying to make a Western game around the same time RDR2 is coming

Top Bottom