• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft quietly ends development on planned Steep Switch release

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ubisoft no longer has plans to bring its snowboarding game Steep to the Nintendo Switch, saying that the team is instead focusing on live support for the existing PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC releases of the game.
The official Steep Twitter account made the announcement early this morning as a reply to a question about the status of the Switch version’s progress.

Source

Last edited:

Iaterain

I feel like It has never been on development.
Ubisoft were just obliged to show some support,
they showed Steep trailer, NamcoBandai showed Dark Souls trailer,
the Pokemon company showed a person in the office, Nintendo showed Metroid logo, Nintendo fans ate it, end of story.

This isn't really surprising to me at all. Nintendo doesn't have a clue about how to handle online gaming. I can't imagine playing online only games on their platforms. I mean they don't even put ethernet ports in their hardware.

GamesAreFun

Banned
This isn't really surprising to me at all. Nintendo doesn't have a clue about how to handle online gaming. I can't imagine playing online only games on their platforms. I mean they don't even put ethernet ports in their hardware.
Switch already supports online-only games such as Paladins, Fortnite and Rocket League. I think it's more likely Ubisoft decided it wasn't worth the effort to port a fairly unpopular title so late, or they were struggling to run it on the Switch hardware.

Switch already supports online-only games such as Paladins, Fortnite and Rocket League. I think it's more likely Ubisoft decided it wasn't worth the effort to port a fairly unpopular title so late, or they were struggling to run it on the Switch hardware.

That is fair and you're probably right. I still have a chip on my shoulder about the Wii U and the fact that they don't put Ethernet ports on their hardware.

Does Nintendo's online solution work well in those games? If so I guess I will have to find a new chip for my shoulder. ;)

Last edited:
I know one guy who was looking forward to it, and this news bummed him out. But I don't think anyone was really asking for this game on Switch.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly, I can't imagine too many people really wanted this game. Hopefully they put the money into more original Switch titles instead like Mario + Rabbids.

Yagami_Sama

I think most people was expecting this. But hey, they will release Valiant Hearts for Switch, I wanted to play this since the Wii U days.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Did you ever play shaun white snowboarding? Is it anything like that? Or more like an SSX game?

I LOVED Shaun White Snowboarding and it is quite similar. The ability to basically choose a mountain and go down it, carving your own path using a variety of different methods (Gliding, Skiing, Snowboarding, etc) is fantastic. The customization is great, music is catchy, and the game just looks beautiful.

However, it doesn't quite have the more arcadey/strong trick feature that Shaun White had, but if you want a game that you can veg to and just shred some mountains, you will have a good time.

I almost got this on sale on the PC but stupid me I read the user reviews who are always upset with paid DLC and other things like Denuvo so they give it bad reviews which makes it difficult to know if the actual game is any good. Still thinking of getting it, anyone give an honest opinion here? I imagine sales were not that great so they decided it wasn't worth moving forward with.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I actually forgot this was in development, and I like snowboarding games (well, SSX... and 1080 back in the day) and buy a fair few multiplats on Switch for portability.

Assuming it wasn't absolutely technically impossible, I imagine they looked at the cost of the port versus the potential returns and didn't like what they saw. Steep is no Skyrim. Had they been there at launch, they could have counted on a fair number of new-system sales. At this point though, even a competent port would be a risk.

Ballthyrm

I still cannot understand why miyamoto is so in love with those guys...
ubisoft support is always hate and love!

Ubisoft has always been supporting Nintendo even when in the hard time like the WiiU and the gamecube era. Like Yves guillemot said multiples times they known each other for 20 years, friendship is also a way to do business.

really just open a second party south european in Italy in Milano, call it like "Mario Home Team" and hire those guys in ubisoft Milan that made Mario rabbids...profit...
europe is not only france and germany eh!!
maybe they will find more talents in Spain Italy and Greece!!

Ubisoft is only multi-team project nowadays, there is a lead team but it is usually 3-4 teams, each with their own speciality and licences. Ubisoft blue byte in germany they make the Anno Franchises, Ubisoft Barcelona they usually work on mobile games, etc.

there is nothing profitable on having ubisoft on board at this point...
...what happened to UbiArt then???
sometime they just waste time and talents in their offices...

Nintendo isn't paying theses devs, only Ubisoft is. Nintendo only risk their licence, maybe some marketing money.
As for Ubi-Art if you look in the credits, there is a ton of people involved in theses project, a far cry from what they said in public, i suspect making a game on it was way more involved that what they said. There is no magic tool that makes games for it, only talented developer do that, and yes they are probably wasting them but every big company does that.

Mr Hyde

Really don't get that Ubi is a bad supporter of Nintendo. They have always supported them in one way or another. Recently they put out Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition on the Switch as well as Mario x Rabbids which was an entirely new game, built from the ground up. And they recently posted a tweet with Child of Light headed for Switch (and possibly a sequel). Valiant Hearts is also coming and I wouldn't be surprised if they port Watch Dogs too.

Virex

Banned
Dare I say that the requirements to get it running properly on the Switch’s hardware is a bit Steep?

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
Not like SSX.

So easier to get the hang of controls?
I LOVED Shaun White Snowboarding and it is quite similar. The ability to basically choose a mountain and go down it, carving your own path using a variety of different methods (Gliding, Skiing, Snowboarding, etc) is fantastic. The customization is great, music is catchy, and the game just looks beautiful.

However, it doesn't quite have the more arcadey/strong trick feature that Shaun White had, but if you want a game that you can veg to and just shred some mountains, you will have a good time.

Cool. Bestbuy has on clearance for 18$ dollars after gcu. Went ahead and ordered a copy.

LOLCats

Banned
So ya i totally forgot steep was online required game. Of course xbox live sign is down and the game is worthless.

Game is immediately shit to me. Ubisoft can get fucked. Wonder if nintendo asked em for an offline mode?

Last edited:
Top Bottom