• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Responds to Criticisms of Games Being Too Big

assurdum

Banned
The blabla:
"No part of a game should be driven by 'more is better"

Meanwhile in the real word:
AC Odyssey
unknown.png

Far Cry 6:
unknown.png

Etc etc...
Jesus...

adamosmaki

Nahh the criticism is that their games are much to boring and repetitive . Big games with interesting world do exist ( see Witcher 3 and elden ring )

Kerotan

I'll probably never play oddessy or Valhalla because of that. I own origins for 2 years now and Keep holding off on playing it.

ButchCat

Honest translation: We don't give a shit about the criticism. if you don't like it play something else cause we're not changing a fucking thing.

Last edited:
Which is exactly why many people complained about Death Stranding. Stating that there's nothing to do...and I don't giving the game a more combat driven focus (despite it already having competent combat) would have helped.

To many people big but empty equals boring.
I think it was a big WTF moment after metal gear for alot of people. That and we didn't really know what to expect right up until release.

It has its fans through and some people that didn't like it have come round too it.

I think a sequel would do alot better the potential to expand on what's already there is huge.

It's stands out because the open world is not really there exploration but for navigating and building infrastructure. I frigging loved it

saintjules

The problem with ubi games is not that they are bigger it's how those big worlds are filled with filler ,pointless , and extremely repetitive content that always overstays it's welcome

100% in agreeance. It's why I get turned off from playing after a few hours.

I mean, a 13 year old me would love playing something as big as the recent AC games because I would probably get a few games a year if I was lucky. If something like Odyssey was one of 3 or 4 games I get for the year, then I'd be happy. Even play it a second time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Assassins Creed Valhalla was definitely too big. They burned me out on that game and as such I have no interest in playing the Ragnarok DLC. Not to mention the Asgard portions of the game were my least favorite parts.

Kacho

Gold Member
My only criticism is that the vast majority of the content feels meaningless. The amount of content isn’t much of an issue for me since it’s optional and sometimes I want that mindless Ubisoft experience.

ahtlas7

Ubi shit games are playrooms designed around selling treats from their store. How could this design philosophy not have a major impact on their world build? Creating a “buy your own treats” approach and play style for the player. Hell, maybe it’s just me but, after completing an objective I like to be rewarded with a “treat” But when Ubi‘s focus is designed around selling fools treats and not reward with a “treat”. My dog brain says “no treat, no play” and I no longer care how big the map is.

Ubi’s huge beautiful MAP is designed to lengthen player engagement. My guess, Ubi gambles that the longer a player is engaged in their copy/paste populated map the higher the chance a player will change things up by spending their own money in the game store (which is only 1-2 button pushes away) to buy skins, guns, rides, etc. I mean, Who wears the same shirt or pants irl all the time? And for a few bucks you can have an awesome looking new shirt or pants to look cool and hip!

personally, I only buy Ubishit games on the cheap, play til the skeletal formula becomes obvious (10hrs), never enter their store even to spend the “free” tokens, finally, throw game into trash. They make a few bucks, I get mildly entertained.

la fin.

tldr, big map + long player engagement + game store = big $$

Denton

I can play Witcher 3 with expansions for 260 hours and when it ends, I am sad and do not want it to end.

I can play AC Odyssey/Valhalla/Origins for 120 hours and the last 40 I am wishing for it to be over already.

The problem is not quantity. The problem is lack of quality.

If Ubi are not able to provide consistent high level of quality in their gigantic games, then they need to scale them down and remove all the filler and everything that does not pass the quality muster.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Ubisoft wants bigger games with NFTs, gamers want the opposite.

Ubisoft chief telling the players to shut the hell up and enjoy bigger worlds and NFTs.

Its directly insane and their user base what they actually want and not try to make what people want.

3lnkpp.jpg

History repeats itself.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If you don't like open world games, this generation is not going to be the generation for you. Developers know the genre is pivotal going forward.

Hell Sony designed their console around open world game design with that SSD.
Sadly I just realized this playing Horizon FW and Elden Ring. It‘ll be a dry gen for me. All I can hope for is that every now and then someone will show pity and give me a non-open world game to play. Otherwise 8I‘m prolly going to stick to the PS classics once Sony launches the new service June.

I loved AC Odyssey, for me living up in the cold dark north it was like being on a vacation traversing that beautiful sunny world, never bothered to 100% it but had no issues with the big map.

Elden Ring (GOTY!) is absolutely huge and filled with content as well, people show maps full of content here as an example of how bad things can be but Elden Ring is exactly the same, the devs just don’t show it all on the map and that’s how it should be.
This is the beginning area of Elden Ring:
l4zzrMm.jpg

NFDSafT.jpg
This is frankly dishonest as hell. You've included literally every piece of loot, every statue that rezzes you nearby when you die, every jump boost for your horse. If you think this is comparable to a Ubisoft open world you clearly haven't played the game.

I dont mind open world games, but i cant stand ubisoft open world games, i havnt played any of the open world ghost recons and ive only played far cry up to 4 but lately played obysessey, a game thats actually wuite good but the map and amount of quests is just to much, ill give them credit for ac origins, had enough content but not to much

Fredrik

This is frankly dishonest as hell. You've included literally every piece of loot, every statue that rezzes you nearby when you die, every jump boost for your horse. If you think this is comparable to a Ubisoft open world you clearly haven't played the game.
Don’t overthink it, I used the ER map to show that lots of content is not the problem, it’s when everything is shown as icons on a map, which it isn’t in ER. I’m not knocking Elden Ring, I’m praising it.

Go there and activate everything you think is comparable if you want to see how they stack up. Just beware of spoilers.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You know you can turn of the Icons and hide most of the hud elements in the settings menu right wtf is this post?
Or maybe you don't know that since you don't actually play the games but rather just complain for the sake of it?
Oh I know, the problem is those game are designed to be played with the HUD on.
I tried ACO but I confess I only played for 5 hours. I honestly think this game is very, very bad, despite the fact I loved AC: Origin which I finished at 98%. AC Valhalla was a little bit better (I played for 10 hours/13% done) but same as ACO I was quickly bored.
Now show us the maps with only icons necessary to complete the main story line.
Bet you won't because they don't back up your argument.
It's exaggerated for sure (though not in FC6) but the point is still valid. Ubi don't know how (or don't want) to design games without tons of informations on the screen.
The problem is that 99% of the time if you get rid of those elements you can't rely on the world to take over organically like with signs, real direction given by NPCs (like KCD) or anything else.

But I completely understand that this is really hard to do and a lot of players don't mind that, in fact I am in the minority if you look at the success of ACO and ACV.

anthraticus

Banned
I dont mind open world games, but i cant stand ubisoft open world games, i havnt played any of the open world ghost recons and ive only played far cry up to 4 but lately played obysessey, a game thats actually wuite good but the map and amount of quests is just to much, ill give them credit for ac origins, had enough content but not to much
Ghost Recon 1 was actually a good tactical shooter. Of course the people who were responsible for that have zero to do with modern UBIshit.

Check out the Heroes Unleashed mod for it

Ghost Recon 1 was actually a good tactical shooter. Of course the people who were responsible for that have zero to do with modern UBIshit.

Check out the Heroes Unleashed mod for it
Is it possible to play solo? Ive put myself off ever playing the game because it looks more like a coop game where as id rather play them solo

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Eh, Yakuza isn’t a great example the base games aren’t great, they’re too bogged down in what amounts to soap opera quality “drama”. Yakuza games have dense maps, but too much repetition in the exploration and the building insides, also discovering items doesn’t feel rewarding. The combat is basically the only good thing about them. Like a Dragon has a ton of evolutionary fixes for the series, the first one I’m remotely enjoying.

What are you talking about? We are specifically talking about open world maps. Why bring in story or combat? Each area is tightly designed, memorable. Everything has its place. The "insides" are unique, specially in later games where they removed the loading screen to enter and exist buildings. Finding items in this dense metropolis *is* rewarding and makes logical sense as to where they would be found.

Compare that to any UBisoft open world where things are stretched needlessly, where places are instantly forgettable aside from a handful fo set piece areas. You find the same tired items that make no logical sense on their locations. They are copy pasted hundreds of times.

Less is More.

I loved AC Odyssey, for me living up in the cold dark north it was like being on a vacation traversing that beautiful sunny world, never bothered to 100% it but had no issues with the big map.

Elden Ring (GOTY!) is absolutely huge and filled with content as well, people show maps full of content here as an example of how bad things can be but Elden Ring is exactly the same, the devs just don’t show it all on the map and that’s how it should be.
This is the beginning area of Elden Ring:

Glad you can enjoy it, but I found AC Odyssey to be needlessly large, overly bloated with the same tired content, and lacked any sense of discovery or exploration. That is not to even mention the numerous failures of its story, lore, and art design that go counter to the actual history and time period. Understandable that most don't care about that, but as someone who spent over a decade studying this particular time period, it was egregious and insulting.

The thing with Elden Ring is that it rewards exploration, discovery. Everything has its time nad place and very little is actually repeated, aside from boss battles. I am not going to find the same 4-5 weapons in the same exact areas copy pasted like I would in AC Odyssey. I am not going to do the same tired platforming challenge for hte same tired collectible. I explore a unique dungeon, and I may find a unique summon. I may find a rare and unique weapon. The game does *not* push you to do everything either. Much like BotW, it expects you to only do so much as you naturally, organically make your way across the map.

The same can't be said for AC, Horizon, etc. They expect you to go to every little pitstop placed inorganically on the map. Even their "Exploration" modes fail to understand how a player naturally moves through an environment.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ubisoft wants bigger games with NFTs, gamers want the opposite.

Ubisoft chief telling the players to shut the hell up and enjoy bigger worlds and NFTs.

Its directly insane and their user base what they actually want and not try to make what people want.

3lnkpp.jpg

History repeats itself.

Ironic using that image as Classic servers are almost entirely dead.

Allandor

The blabla:

AC Odyssey
unknown.png

Far Cry 6:
unknown.png

Etc etc...
It is not a problem that the world is filled with quests (e.g. ac Odyssey had some Side-Story quests that influenced other quest outcomes) but the problem is that you must complete many of the side quests to follow the main quests.
Also it doesn't help main quests are repetitive as hell (go there, conquere the sector else you can't go further)

peronmls

Open world is boring. Just make a linear game with a lot of content. You can still do easter eggs and I do not know why the first reply made it seem only open world games can have them. Yes ubisoft. Do more linear games with more content.

My problem with Ubisoft games dates all the way back to 2008. There is just something really uninspiring about the way they build their games. You play 1 hour and it already looks like the rest of the game is going to be that same hour repeated over and over again and they even make sure to show it to you beforehand.

Last edited:

ARK1391

Lose-Lose for Ubi now. If they keep their current formula, the games are too big and bloated. If they cut content to make them shorter, people will complain that it's less content for the same price...

Fredrik

The thing with Elden Ring is that it rewards exploration, discovery. Everything has its time nad place and very little is actually repeated, aside from boss battles. I am not going to find the same 4-5 weapons in the same exact areas copy pasted like I would in AC Odyssey. I am not going to do the same tired platforming challenge for hte same tired collectible. I explore a unique dungeon, and I may find a unique summon. I may find a rare and unique weapon. The game does *not* push you to do everything either. Much like BotW, it expects you to only do so much as you naturally, organically make your way across the map.

The same can't be said for AC, Horizon, etc. They expect you to go to every little pitstop placed inorganically on the map. Even their "Exploration" modes fail to understand how a player naturally moves through an environment.
Yeah I agree on that. Elden Ring has perfected exploration, I’d say it’s even better than The Elder Scrolls because there you still have arrows and new areas pop up just by being nearby. In ER I haven’t seen a single arrow yet and you get the area discovered notification when you’re actually inside the newly discovered area.

AC, Horizon, Cyberpunk, even Forza Horizon, they’re all doing the clutter map. Lots of complaints about bloat or people feeling stressed out and overwhelmed would disappear if they simply avoided to show everything on the map. I know you can often filter it out but it’s not the same thing as what FROM did in Elden Ring where they’re carefully nudging you forward with hints.

And why do we need icons over NPCs showing there is a new quest? How about just having someone talk when you’re close? And in AC, the target is nearby thing, what’s up with that?

Open world bloat is a solution to a problem caused by MTX and penny-pinched DLC; The removal of replayability.

Instead of making an 80 hour game, why not make a 10 hour game that I can replay 8 times? Oh, because that requires thought and not locking content behind a paywall.

MGS and RE on the PSX had incentives for completing and replaying the game. Be it new weapons, suits or infinite ammo. We should go back to that philosophy of rewards for replaying.

Daytonabot

Banned
Until they bring their games back to Steam, I couldn't care less what else they do. The only upcoming game of theirs even on my radar is the Mario + Rabbids sequel.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah I agree on that. Elden Ring has perfected exploration, I’d say it’s even better than The Elder Scrolls because there you still have arrows and new areas pop up just by being nearby. In ER I haven’t seen a single arrow yet and you get the area discovered notification when you’re actually inside the newly discovered area.

AC, Horizon, Cyberpunk, even Forza Horizon, they’re all doing the clutter map. Lots of complaints about bloat or people feeling stressed out and overwhelmed would disappear if they simply avoided to show everything on the map. I know you can often filter it out but it’s not the same thing as what FROM did in Elden Ring where they’re carefully nudging you forward with hints.

And why do we need icons over NPCs showing there is a new quest? How about just having someone talk when you’re close? And in AC, the target is nearby thing, what’s up with that?

Eh, I would argue even if they didn't have the copious amounts of map clutter, the actual map designs themselves would still be incredibly weak. Nothing feels organic. City layouts and locations feel copy and pasted and more like they felt they *needed* something there. INstead of just making a tightly designed world.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

Kokoloko85

I like longer games for sure.
My complaint about Ubisoft isnt game length its empty uninteractive environments and copy and paste game design

SSfox

It's good to be big, when the big is quality. GOT had a good balance imo.

Of course some games like Elden Ring had it big with quality, but it's always to have a bit less with high quality that a lot of stuffs that is just bunch of repetetive stuffs.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The blabla:

AC Odyssey
unknown.png

Far Cry 6:
unknown.png

Etc etc...

And how much of that is needed to "complete" the main game's content. I got "stuck" in Viking country in ACV, not because I had to, but because I wanted to see everything I could. If I had beelined for England I would have gotten out of the "prologue" in a few hours versus nearly ten or so. UBI games are no better and no worse than any other open world out there in terms of filling empty space with optional content so that "England" isn't just a single city (although that would actually be cool) or the great state of Yara isn't one island.

Its a big area of repetitive nothingness.

It has nothing to do with how big it is. Learn a thing or two with Elden Ring, which is fucking big but so fun and rewarding to explore.

Elden Ring is absolutely full of padding and superfluous content.

Filben

Ubisoft game designers design like four mission types and copy and paste it like a hundred times and their ten writers have to come up with standard video game logic, plot and writing to fill these kind of quests. And not because it's meaningful for the game's story or world, but to keep the player busy because their own research showed the longer time players spend the more likely do they spend on money on it.

And then they make another game which is practically the same but with a different setting and sell it to you as something new.

What's a 10 hour game most of the audience plays 5+ times?
RE, MGS, MK, SF, Powerstone, Dragons Dogma. There are a few and it doesn't have to be as strict as 10 hours and 5 times, it could be 25 hours and twice.

How many people have replayed Mass Effect, Diablo, Fallout, Skyrim, Hell even GTA multiple times?

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't know about others, but I absolutely love huge open world games with random easter eggs everywhere. Breakpoint started off like shit, but ended up great. Same with Wildlands. Keep it up.
I agree with this minus UBI's open world games ending up great.

Yoda

"Too big" is the side effect. The actual problem is placing a higher priority over Quantity instead of Quality. They need to hire better writers and really nail combat, because when that is mediocre, lots of other parts of the game become mediocre.

Top Bottom