• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft teases Might and Magic X. Reveal at PAX East(?)

Oh god yes! i love M&M!

Hopefully they keep the MM6-8 aesthetic. Looking at that X image makes me want to load up MM6 again and finish my portrait journey.

I'd love to see this franchise reborn, but please no, fix the portraits! It always drove me nuts how inconsistent they were, some being hand drawn, some being photos, some being pictures with costume elements tacked on after the fact with Photoshop (well... 3DO... probably it was Paint Shop Pro) :)

That being said I always loved how the Magic was done and the types of spells in this series. I do remember enjoying the dungeons quite a bit though.

Mmmmmm....

bb-tt.jpg

Glorious Nostalgia Overload.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'd love to see this franchise reborn, but please no, fix the portraits! It always drove me nuts how inconsistent they were, some being hand drawn, some being photos, some being pictures with costume elements tacked on after the fact with Photoshop (well... 3DO... probably it was Paint Shop Pro) :)

That being said I always loved how the Magic was done and the types of spells in this series. I do remember enjoying the dungeons quite a bit though.

Mmmmmm....

bb-tt.jpg

Glorious Nostalgia Overload.

The MM6-8 aesthetic is more than just the portraits though. The animated artwork for the taverns, shops, dungeons, etc were a huge part of what makes those games charming imo.

i ripped all of the scenes with the intention of uploading them all to youtube but only did a few. im easily side-tracked.

Body Magic Guild

An Apothecary. Dont look behind you lol

MM7 - Rich House Necromancer

MM8 - Minotaur Tavern

Darg

Neo Member
I Still remember the fan project of creating the 10th installment years ago heh.

It's a shame that the original m&m series stopped being made while the heroe's series kept on going.

M&m 6, those dungeons were amazing especially when you played it for the first time when it was released, I wouldn't mind a remake of that one.

Really want a new entry but im optimistic on it actually being good.

Wonder if they are going to stick with the sci-fi aspect as m&m at it's core and heart (most of everything beneath all that surface actually) is completely sci-fi, while the coating and painting (and the skin) being fantasy.

Bento

Huge fan of the Might & Magic series (especially 3,4 and 5) and I'm not sure how to feel about this. I've hoped for a resurrection of the series but either as a Kickstarter (spiritual sequel) or a smaller budget game like the Clash of Heroes (ok, maybe slightly bigger than that). If this ends up being a big budget title it will either not be a first person rpg or likely have one or too many contemporary roleplaying designs woven into it for me to be really interested :/

robin2

Potential.

Loved 8. So much stuff to do. The graphics was ridiculous, but the "theatrical" (npc looked like people cosplaying) look was appropriate (the world, everything seemed totally fake-staged). Also thanks to the NPC being sprite, there where battle with tens against tens (like the pirates in the very first island), I remember being impressed at the time.

Probability they'll screw this up: 99,9999999999%

I wonder if it's going to be like the old school M&Ms where you can go anywhere you want from the beginning, lots of side quests, lots of exploration and discovery, sci-fi/fantasy story, etc.

mightandmagic3-islesofterra.png

The art was great too:

hqdefault.jpg

Edit: If you go to the official Might and Magic site, they do consider the old games to be part of the same universe as the new ones, and they even have a write up on Sheltem. So hopefully they'll do a new one in the spirit of the older ones. It is a giant corporation taking over a beloved franchise so I'm not optimistic but I'd rather them try and make a good one and fail, than just let the franchise lay dormant forever.

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/universe/en-US/universe-world-ashan/heroes/sheltem/index.aspx
http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/universe/en-US/games/all-games/might-and-magic-rpg/index.aspx

Edit 2: Oh I went through the site some more and the newer series takes place on "Ashan" which they specifically state has no connection to VARN, CRON, XEEN, Terra or even Enroth from the later New World Computing games. Oh well. Still looking forward to what they're gonna show though.

Chev

sci-fi/fantasy story
I'm pretty sure one of the producers declared quite a while ago that they didn't like the sci fi aspect and thus ditched it. Of course the convenient bit in the way the M&M universe was setup is you can always retcon any new world to be yet another seedship or colony of the Ancients, so I guess the door's still open if necessary.

Arthea

*remembers IX, shivers in horror*
I probably played all M&M games (heroes too), enjoyed 6th most, after than 7th was good and after that all went downhill really really fast.
I really think you can't judge it from heroes perspective, it's different genre even, people!
It would be nice, M&M RPGs back in full force, not like Dark Messiah, no, like main M&M series up to 8. Not gonna happen though, one of those things too good to be true.

I loved the Might and Magic series. Even ran a fan page back in the days when it was fashionable to do such a thing.

BTW, my sight was horrible. I'm only posting a link to the archive to prove it existed once.
http://web.archive.org/web/19971210172937/http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/homm.html

I'm not even sure what I would want from a modern Might and Magic RPG. If its sci fi - fantasy mash up with humor, I could get behind it. If they are just going to make another fantasy game to catch some Skyrim gold, unsure it would be worth it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
And here we go.
Chances of this being anything like the classics... are pretty slim, right?

UberTag

Interesting that this should be teased right when I'm getting the strongest Might & Magic vibe I've gotten in years while playing through Etrian Odyssey IV.
Incidentally, anyone interested in this announcement that owns a 3DS owes it to themselves to pick up a copy of EOIV.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Quick trip to RPG Codex revealed the "incline" vs "decline" memetics.
It means "positive".

I want to believe.

Hobbun

Cautiously optimistic.

If the game is able to capture the magic of 6 and 7, I’ll upgrade (buy a new) computer and be there day 0.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
Might and Magic X? Holy crap!

I just hope it's single player, open world, and party based. If not, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Would love a straight-up no bullshit old-school party-based 1st person CRPG. Played the hell out of Clouds, Dark Side, Mandate, and Blood & Honor. Hard to pick a favorite, though I did very much like how the worlds of IV and V could combine. VI seemed the freshest and most original, and VII was better balanced and had some nice new features.

Never really liked the sci-fi aspects, though, especially since it meant ditching all weapons I'd collected for blasters in the end game. Plus, it trivializes the "sword" part of "sword and sorcery".

Edit: also, the holographic discs for VI are sweet. Still have those somewhere, along with about a dozen unopened boxes of the special edition that I found a few years ago for a couple bucks each at Fry's.

DocSeuss

Obsidian? Why would you want Might & Magic from them? Obsidian has never made a first-person RPG, and if this game is going to be anything at all like the series it's numbered to be a part of, it certainly should be a first-person type RPG...

I thought the only first-person entry into the franchise was DARK MESSIAH of Might & Magic (which, coincidentally, is the reason I got incredibly hyped when I first saw this thread).

For those saying Obsidian... um, they suck at 3D games. Their level design and basic interactivity stuff is always bad. They do good at making RPGs, but that practical knowledge never seems to work well in a 3D environment (hi, Alpha Protocol and New Vegas).

Hobbun

It can have real-time combat only, I am okay with that.

No way.

If there can be only one option, definitely turn-based.

But I don't see why they still can't do both.

Why do you hate the Wizardry series so much?

The only one I've ever played was the last one (8), and I loved just about everything about it except one thing.

It bothered me to no end that there was 'never' a safe spot on the world. No matter where you went, there was always a random chance of enemies showing up. Sometimes I just like to go into town, take care of buying/selling, talk to NPCs and just take it easy (and not worry about enemies showing up). But you could never do that in Wizardry, at least Wizardry 8.

I thought the only first-person entry into the franchise was DARK MESSIAH of Might & Magic (which, coincidentally, is the reason I got incredibly hyped when I first saw this thread).

For those saying Obsidian... um, they suck at 3D games. Their level design and basic interactivity stuff is always bad. They do good at making RPGs, but that practical knowledge never seems to work well in a 3D environment (hi, Alpha Protocol and New Vegas).

So you've never heard of the nine-game Might & Magic first person RPG series? Huh. Look it up; they're somewhat odd games, but the sixth through eighth ones are good, anyway (though do install the fan fix-patches). The first five games are badly dated by today's standards (unless you like '80s-style first-person RPGs, but that's never really been my thing, not in its original form like you see in those games), but 6-8 are still playable and fun. Weird and somewhat low budget in ways, but fun stuff.

There was also the late '90s multiplayer-only FPS Legends of Might & Magic; that was the first Might & Magic-universe FPS, not Dark Messiah. Naturally though, as it was multiplayer only, it's not too playable today, and it was only okay anyway. Dark Messiah's a better game than that for sure. (My only complaint with Dark Messiah (on the PC) was that it crashed CONSTANTLY... other than that though, good game.)

Back in the '90s I didn't play the Might & Magic games, only Heroes of Might & Magic and some demos of the spinoffs (Crusaders, Legends), but I got all of them more recently, thanks to online sales and such, and yeah, M&M 6-8 are interesting games. Heroes 2 is still my favorite game in the franchise, but they are interesting.

Top Bottom