• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft throws shade at EA with “pride and accomplishment” line in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.pcgamesn.com/assassins-creed-odyssey/assassins-creed-odyssey-pride-and-accomplishment

An easter egg hidden in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey sees Ubisoft take aim at Electronic Arts over the latter’s use of microtransactions in one of their recent games. The line of dialogue features as part of the game’s minotaur quest, and references EA’s response to the controversy surrounding Star Wars Battlefront II.

Before you can face the Minotaur in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, you need to gather three tokens. These can be earned by completing challenges, but in some cases you can simply buy them from the appropriate ‘Trial Masters’. Or at least, you can try.

If you head to the master behind the trial of strength, he’ll challenge you to a fight, or just let you pay him 1500 Drachmae for his token. If you buy that and then head to the master behind the trial of accuracy, he’ll task you with finding his sons. But then you’ll get an option to ask for his token. In a video below, around the 6:40 mark, you can see Kassandra asking “aren’t you supposed to ask if I’ll buy the Trial Token from you?”

This upsets the Trial Master, who says “you want to pay to win? That’s uhh…Aren’t you a warrior? Where’s your honour? Where’s your sense of pride and accomplishment?”

Lunk

It's about as PR as CDPR using token DLC practices to pander.

I don't particularly see Ubisoft as being any better. They just exploit the trust of their consumers, but let's wait and see until they get themselves into a controversy down the line, and whether their shenanigans against EA actually held any water.

Third worst offender throws shade about first one :D

Seriously they must be really delusional when they are only tiny bit behind EA and Activision

Arun1910

I mean... I don't mind Micro-transactions in games if they are for Single Player and aren't necessary for the experience (hence why I never buy any).

Microtransactions for Online competitive stuff is worse, but it's a bit of a stupid Easter Egg.

Microtransactions ultimately are quick money making schemes used to lure a person into purchasing something overpriced.

Virex

Banned
For a game with several "store" tabs and time saver packs you can buy. I'd say that's pretty fucking hypocritical of Ubisoft

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
ps284005_l.jpg

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Better would be "You want to pay to win? Then buy the extra experience pack!".

Better would be "You want to pay to win? Then buy the extra experience pack!".

Idk I think having it in a multiplayer game is worse by far. If someone wants to speed up a single player game it doesn’t hurt anyone. With that said I have the xp boost so I can platinum the game before red dead drops.

Last edited:
It's about as PR as CDPR using token DLC practices to pander.

I don't particularly see Ubisoft as being any better. They just exploit the trust of their consumers, but let's wait and see until they get themselves into a controversy down the line, and whether their shenanigans against EA actually held any water.

Wait and see? Aren't they already selling a 50% exp boost for Odyssey, for those that don't want to grind?

prag16

Banned
Even though they should take a look in the mirror before pulling shit like this, the joke is still funny.

Woo-Fu

Banned
What makes this targeted specifically at EA?

Seems like it is targeted at gamers themselves, watching the cutscene. He's asking the player why they want to pay to win, where's their sense of pride and accomplishment.

Of course that doesn't make for a clickbait title, though, does it? :p

Alx

Probably for the same reason shes as buff as the male character - Ubisoft didn't want to waste time and money remodelling armour.

I doubt female armors of that model really existed at that time anyway. And an armor in the shape of bare female breasts wouldn't send the same message as a muscular male torso. It's ok to take liberties and have a female character as a fighter, but in that context a male armor makes more sense. "Boob armors" can already look silly in fantasy games, and this is one is trying to offer some illusion of historical accuracy.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
EA used that exact phrase while defending their bs in the past. It's a direct shot at EA.

So if any phrase used in the past by anybody shows up in a game it is a direct shot? No wonder videogame writing is so bad, they don't have any options. Any phrase that makes sense for discussing a particular topic has probably already been used, can't use it again!

It reads in context as a shot against the player. But hey, let's pretend there is some drama there, about a blind pot attacking a kettle that doesn't give a shit.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
So if any phrase used in the past by anybody shows up in a game it is a direct shot? No wonder videogame writing is so bad, they don't have any options. Any phrase that makes sense for discussing a particular topic has probably already been used, can't use it again!

It reads in context as a shot against the player. But hey, let's pretend there is some drama there, about a blind pot attacking a kettle that doesn't give a shit.
Dude. Come on. You asked and I answered. No need to get all passive aggressive about it. It's 100% a shot at EA. You're wrong. Deal with it. Whether or not it's a pot kettle situation (it is) or whether or not EA gives a shit (they don't) is immaterial.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/13/16643302/battlefront-2-40-hours-unlock-vader-luke-ea-response

Last edited:
My takeaway from this thread is that you fight the MINOTAUR in Odyssey. I'm definitely getting it now.

Enjoy playing against him after you grind side missions like getting the bread for Mrs Moffat for 5 hours.

Or if you are willing to feel a little pride and accomplishment. You could buy the XP booster pack, then you will only have to grind half as many chores such as getting some firewood for Mr Mcguffin.

Last edited:
Just did the quest in question and the whole point is the character can pay drachma to skip trials to prove themselves for a boss fight. The people giving these trials kind of poke fun at you for paying the drachma instead of doing the trials. But there is one trial the character can't pay drachma to skip. And that's when the line comes.

This... is interesting considering you, the player, can pay for the boosters. I almost believe this questline was written without the games monetization known to the author. Had the game not had the boosters, this would have been funny as hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom