• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft to release Xbox X|S and PS5 60fps patch for Odyssey

So is it going to be whatever max res it ran on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro at 30fps, with the 30fps cap being removed to support 60fps? If that's the case then Xbox Series X will have the advantage in resolution meanwhile PS5 has the advantage in maintaining stable 60fps. Or perhaps Xbox Series X does indeed run at stable 60fps meanwhile PS5 is stuck on PS4 Pro's max resolution for 60fps.

Rudius

I completed the main story of Odyssey on PS4 Pro, sounding like a Saturn V rocket the whole time. Then I switched to my 1650 laptop to play the discovery tour at 60fps, but even with optimal settings it still drops in certain places; it still makes some noise, but with undervolted GPU and CPU it was not as bad as the Pro.

I was playing it last night when I accessed Gaf and saw the news. Played a bit today and It seems to run perfectly on PS5, with zero noise👂

Last edited:
So is it going to be whatever max res it ran on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro at 30fps, with the 30fps cap being removed to support 60fps? If that's the case then Xbox Series X will have the advantage in resolution meanwhile PS5 has the advantage in maintaining stable 60fps. Or perhaps Xbox Series X does indeed run at stable 60fps meanwhile PS5 is stuck on PS4 Pro's max resolution for 60fps.
We'll see. According to liabe brave max res was 1800p on Pro (1620p according to VGTech) which was the usual res seen on XBX (max res maybe 4K according to VGTech). I doubt the game goes higher than that on average on both machines except indoors or when looking at the sky.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Not there on all titles but FPS boost is your new friend! 👍

StnYjuR.jpg
Shame Unity is stuck at a poo resolution.

Kenpachii

Source on that?

b4855d325da4186ade061abda18d4aea.png

Tested it out myself when i got my 3080 saw huge gains on low fps in atlantis as i had this driver version, i couldn't explain it really because i was cpu bound even on my 1080ti, think about 53 fps drops at ultra at area's, now its solid 70+ and no that has nothing to do with gpu performance being better on the 3080.

Then i encountered somebody that found the same result but was on a 1080ti still, and with checking the notes in the driver its clear they did something with odyssey. Could very well be because of next gen consoles that ubisoft also made changes on there games on PC and new drivers would work well with that for better performance. no clue to be honest.

Reality is, i went from 53 dips at ultra settings with a 9900k in allantis towards 70+, and ac city i went from mid 60's dips to mid 70's so yea i would honestly advice anybody that plays throught the game to update to the latest nvidia drivers.

Last edited:

skit_data

Is this good? Worth buying?

Some people seem to think this is the worst game in the series and others say its the best one since the early games.
I liked the early AC-games but fell off after Assassins Creed Revalations.

Kenpachii

Is this good? Worth buying?

Some people seem to think this is the worst game in the series and others say its the best one since the early games.
I liked the early AC-games but fell off after Assassins Creed Revalations.

I played through all of them.

The main quest is dull, the side quests are generic and way way way to many stuff that feels copy pasted to clear out if you want to 100% it, also the size of the map is far to big.

However the combat is great, and making builds is absolutely fantastic the strong point about the game, u can really do some really fun stuff like a bear build that can break the game completely :D. ( vallhalla is a huge downgrade on this )

I liked the exploration, there is a lot of legendary and hidden items ( i miss this also in valhalla ), the island city's are amazing looking at times and the environment is just beautiful to run through, specially when u get to the island parts.

However if you play through it i wouldn't go 100% it even remotely, just go through the main story get level 50 then move on to the DLC.

The best part about odyssey is the atlantis dlc in my vision. It contains 3 worlds with 10 hours of content each and there own story and all of them are great and unique and beautiful to walk around in.

Also pick kassandra her voice is the best in the game.

Last edited:
How big is the resolution hit ? It was extremely crisp on series x on 30 fps

If it's like shadow of the tomb raider, then it won't be a resolution hit. It might be a frame rate 30fps uncap to let you hit 60fps in whatever max res it ran originally on X1X and PS4 Pro similar to Division 2

Mr Hyde

Just bought the deluxe edition of the game, it's on sale now dirt cheap. Haven't played AC since Black Flag but didn't like it. Gonna give it a new shot, if it doesn't click this time it's never gonna happen.

GuinGuin

Banned
This is my favorite of the new AC games. I loved the setting.

The direction and characters of Origins were really bad and I've heard the same about Valhalla. Maybe that means the next one will go back to being a banger. Do they alternate teams like CoD does?

M.W.

The direction and characters of Origins were really bad and I've heard the same about Valhalla. Maybe that means the next one will go back to being a banger. Do they alternate teams like CoD does?

The next one is rumored to be a live service game I believe.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
No they have like 50 studios that work on each game....they do sometimes alternate years, giving more time for polish.

Sushen

I just tried the update which is absolutely fantastic. I almost wanted to restart the game to enjoy it, haha.

assurdum

Banned

As expected. I'm really asking why some developers doesn't like drops a bit more the resolution on series X. MS asks for this or what? Because they lowered the ps5 resolution compared the pro but they have untouched the series X. It doesn't make sense at all considered it has some major fps drops compared the ps5.

Last edited:

Shmunter

As expected. I'm really asking why some developers doesn't like drops a bit more the resolution on series X. MS asks for this or what? Because they lowered the ps5 resolution compared the pro but they have untouched the series X. It doesn't make sense at all considered it has some major fps drops compared the ps5.
What do you mean the rez has been reduced on PS5 from pro?

PS5 has well in excess of 2x the pro Cpu/GPU/bandwidth, that’s why PS5 brutes through last gen 30fps games without a sweat. This is also tru for Series S compared to xOne.

Series x compared to 1x is not as large a delta and hence issues arise. So agreed, devs should put in a bit of work on series x - instead they just lazily unlock the frames and call it a day. Bad devs!

Riky

$MSFT
There is no point dropping resolution when you hit 60fps 99% of the time and support VRR.
Better to have that nice crispy resolution.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Been playing it since last night on the X, it's glorious. Really hoping they do Origins next as I tried that too last night and it's judder town.

assurdum

Banned
What do you mean the rez has been reduced on PS5 from pro?

PS5 has well in excess of 2x the pro Cpu/GPU/bandwidth, that’s why PS5 brutes through last gen 30fps games without a sweat. This is also tru for Series S compared to xOne.

Series x compared to 1x is not as large a delta and hence issues arise. So agreed, devs should put in a bit of work on series x - instead they just lazily unlock the frames and call it a day. Bad devs!
If you check the previous video of VGtech, it was 1080p the minimum resolution reached on pro. On ps5 now it's 1026p to keep steady 60 fps. Or maybe the pasted pixels counts was wrong. Anyway it's not the first time the minimum resolution output it's lowered in the new consoles compared the one in the 30 FPS mode of the past generation. It happens almost regularly on both hardware.

Last edited:

saintjules

Yes!! And for those that haven't gone back to the Division games after their 4k 60fps patches, do it, completely new experience with how they look and perform. Far Cry as well. Yay Ubisoft.

Ah seems the fps boost on the series x has it at 60fps, but not PS5. Still good to have both consoles. You'll always have it on your plate if you have both.

If you check the previous video of VGtech, it was 1080p the minimum resolution reached on pro. On ps5 now it's 1026p to keep steady 60 fps. Or maybe the pasted pixels counts was wrong. Anyway it's not the first time the minimum resolution output it's lowered in the new consoles compared the one in the 30 FPS mode of the past generation. It happens almost regularly on both hardware.
It happens at one spot in the most demanding scene, and that scene is locked 60fps on PS5 which wasn't the case on Pro AFAIK as the game had plenty of sub-30fps drops there. But ususally the average resolution seems higher than what it was on Pro (which had a quite unstable framerate).

Riky

$MSFT
But it's rarely at the highest resolution, so this doesn't make much sense.
They don't use the full GPU, it's just a BC game.

It doesn't make sense when people are saying drop more resolution when it already has a DRS range and runs at 99% 60fps.

Top Bottom